Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
That boss owns, buy him a forums account.

Although the dell monitors are nice, he's really not wrong about the publics perception of that brand. Is he worried clients are going to see your Walmart brand monitors, or does he really think they're sub standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a pair of QNIX monitors. You people are terrible influences :smith:

I've settled on accessorieswhole on ebay, and they have a dozen very similar looking qx2710 listings. My reading indicates I don't want the TRUE10 or multiple input versions if I want any hope of running hte monitor at higher frequencies. Is this the one that everyone raves about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-ll-SE-Matte-27-2560x1440-SAMSUNG-PLS-WQHD-PC-Monitor-/131121204491

Yes, with the ebay monitors you want as few features as possible, as the features aren't worth the money and are poorly implemented.

This is a different listing for the same monitors I bought over a year ago, but from the same vendor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...=item1c41c67ceb

1gnoirents posted:

Yes that's it.

Also that's what I use with my GPU, gaming on a single one anyways. When you said that was more than you could use I had assumed you had 1080p :P, you could totally use a 780ti for 1440p *nudge*

But two of those would be pretty awesome. Although I'd debezel them at that point personally

Debezelling is totally worth it, and not that much work. At the very least, you're going to want to paint the stock bezel with some pastidip or something, as its pretty distracting. I'm running mine at 120hz on a geforce 770.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

I think that is the 10 bit model and doesn't have the same type of panel or the feature set I was looking for - they just drop frames when ran at high speeds supposedly. Are you sure you didn't get the non-true10? I think the model names are designed to be confusing to be honest.

I think you're right. I was kind of confused as to what that was as well, didnt realize that one had a different board with HDMI and DP, so I guess my post was kind of contradictory.

Just make sure you get a no-frills one with the matte, as the glossy ones, are just glass glued on top of said matte screen.

1gnoirents posted:

What games do you play at 120 fps on 1440p with a 770?

Actually, quite a few as long as you're not trying to run everything fully maxed.

quaker69 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 5, 2014

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Where is the best place to buy one of the $20 HP stands (the 22" inch extended ones)? I can't really find them anywhere

Yea I was curious and looking the other day, and couldn't find any either.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Had a hell of a time finding these, but I just snagged 2 of these off amazon for dirt cheap if anyone else is looking for them.

They will connect to any of the korean monitors with vesa mounts and work perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050J8NMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
120hz 1440p gets a little dark and weird. I run mine at 96hz and it seems nice

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

Does the stand not work on a functional level or is it just looks? If it's the latter, it's no problem. Also will I be able to connect my hdmi only laptop or is it for desktop future only? Thanks for your help.

The stand is very wobbly, and the case doesn't fit well at all in general. The screen is recessed in the case about .25" and the case is very glossy and has all kinds of logos printed on it, which I found very distracting and ugly.. So really you gain form and function by debezelling and going with either a vesa arm, or one of the dell/hp stands that actually has tilt etc.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Carecat posted:

My left Dell U2412M is quite red. Solved it with Windows calibration but games like Arma 3 seem to undo it, guessing that the graphics card is ignoring or doesn't use Windows calibration. Any idea what to do?

Either running full-screen windowed, or get a program like Color Sustainer[sic] will do it. I only use it on my qnix because it doesn't have an OSD so it has to be entirely calibrated from profiles.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

This.

I stumbled over the 1440p144 one from Acer earlier, and I was like "Woooooo, awesome colors for photo editing, and G-sync for gamez!" Hell, it doesn't do PWM either, another win. Then I entered this thread and I run into posts of QC issues. :saddowns:

asus is making one but I think its going to have a bezel made by mad katz

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So nvidia is still ignoring activesync and free sync for the immediate future? The asus ips seems nicer than the acer and it's only 599.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

spouse posted:

Is Gsync worth the moneys?

I wanna do 144hz ips 1440p, but I have one 970, and the choice between adding another one or grabbing up either a fury x or a 980ti. I like the look of the MG279Q, but obviously I lose out on freesync if I don't go AMD at that point, and I'm leaning towards doubling up on 970's.

All of this is actually irrelevant because I mostly play LoL and TF2 and don't need this, but I'm stupid and want it anyway so I can play 4 hours of the next AAA release before forgetting it. That, and fallout 4.

I've been considering the MG279Q even with a nvidia card, because like you, most the games I play cap out at 144fps anyways. Also it has the added benefit of being $200 cheaper and not made by acer. Just to be clear, nvidia has no plans of supporting adaptive sync, even though its being build into the dp spec.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mustarde posted:

Anyone have a strong recommendation against the VG248Q, or think I am putting too much value on G-sync? It looks like the only 1ms 144hz 1440p screen out there right now. Should I wait for more competition or better offerings, or just go ahead and buy the shiniest looking thing out there?

The advertised ms inst actually indicative of anything more than the type of panel + refresh rate they're using. Its not the actual response time.

Heres a better comparison

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

d3rt posted:

loving valve. so I've just trained myself to be good at a broken system, and so when they 'fix' it I'm going to be poo poo again and have to re-learn a third time...

It wouldn't be cs without hilariously broken hit boxes at literally any given point in the games history.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

theblackw0lf posted:

So what's the better 27" IPS 144Hz screen? Acer or ASUS?

Depends if you need gsync or not. Otherwise they're basically the same.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The boards on one of my qnix went out as well. A shame because it's got a perfect panel. Although I could never get to them to replace the since I had to fuse the VESA mount to the panel casing when I removed the bezels.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

How did you know it was the board that was the problem?

My PCBank has 100mm mounts. The "stand" just has 4 screws that attaching it to the back of the monitor housing.

I guess I'm not 100%? But when you power it on the panel lights up for a few seconds then shuts off. I have my other one working still, and hooking it into it's dvi and power cord produces the same results.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Etrips posted:

Amazon itself doesn't carry it since they had so many returns due to QC issues. They only have third party sellers or waiting a month or two for Amazon to actually ship it.

edit: I think I've seen one person have a bad monitor from the recent batches.

I just bought one on amazon the other day, and its perfect. </anecdote>

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They had some in last week. It was from amazon.com llc proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

I kinda expected it. Gonna hang onto it for a few days and see if they get more in stock before returning.

Also, I can't seem to set my monitor to 144hz, only 120hz. I'm using my gtx 760 until my 980 gets here. What's up with that?

edit: oh, for some reason I can't get 144hz with my second display plugged into HDMI.

thats wierd. Should be able to set it to 144hz in windows even