Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1283940705

So these just started to show up, so far I can only find the 21.5" model online, at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005230&cm_re=LG-_-24-005-230-_-Product

I want one, but I'd prefer a 23". A local Fry's has one in stock, @ $260. These might be using the same panels as the u2311h, NEC EA231WMi / EA232WMi and ViewSonic VP2365wb (LG Manufactured all of them) unfortunately it was revealed that all of those monitors e-IPS panels are 6-bit, which may explain the horrible experience I had with the U2311H I bought and posted about in this thread or the previous one. I hope they're using a new panel, because I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I just want something that can look good sitting next to my 2007WFP's S-IPS. I'm sure I got a defective U2311H with how bad it looked, but a friend of mine had the same experience with it. Maybe he got the one I sent back :v:

Edit: Actually, in light of the current 25% off code for Ultrasharps I think I'll give the u2311h another shot. Dell took the last one back just fine, but hopefully this one won't have the same problems? People in this thread seem to like them fine, anyway.

Aphal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 14, 2011

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

So I'm glad this works for everyone except me, but today I cancelled my 2311h order (it still hadn't shipped), and Dell's customer service was kind enough to sell me a 2211H that was in stock at 25% off with free next business day shipping, it's set to be here Friday.

Pays to demand good service I guess, but I'm still not pleased that I wasted my time. I like the additional pixel density though! I'll post my impressions because I haven't seen the 21.5" version mentioned in the thread.

I had the same experience as TheEye and fyallm. When I placed the order (3/13) the estimated ship date was 4/1, and it shipped yesterday (3/14) and it's supposed to be here on 3/17. This post made me go and check my order status since I wasn't really expecting it any time soon.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Got my u2311h and I'm having the same issues as last time I ordered one of these, so I guess Dell isn't just sending me broken ones. The contrast and black levels are total crap compared to my 2007WFP, and I can't find any mode or color setting to help the situation.
Here's both monitors displaying the same screenshot from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

http://i.imgur.com/1deVd.jpg

And here's one from Mass Effect 2:
http://i.imgur.com/1R4Y2.jpg
This one has some pretty awful banding on the gradient from the sun, as well.
Does anyone who owns a 2005WFP or 2007FPW know of any monitor that compares? Because I guess I have to send this one back.

Aphal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 18, 2011

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

DrDork posted:

Are you sure you don't have some color profile applied somewhere, somehow? If it, it may be throwing things off for you. The contrast and black levels of the U2311H should be quite good compared to the 2007WFP, so I strongly suspect it's some setting on your system that is causing your issues--especially since it's the same over two monitors now. You wouldn't have any other systems available (poo poo, drag it to a friend's house) to test with, would you?

I've never dicked around with color profiles or any Windows / graphics card settings to change display stuff besides resolution and orientation. The only thing I changed on my 2005 and 2007s were putting the brightness down to 50, since that was back when they shipped them set at 100 brightness.

The contrast and black level issues persist while playing Xbox 360 games via the VGA input, so I'm pretty sure it's not my computer. Everything is just super washed out and dark games like Splinter Cell are nigh unplayable because everything is just a wash of greys.

Edit: I hooked it up to my wife's laptop - no change. I get an identical picture to what my computer is displaying. It looks better than her laptop screen, but still not as good as the 2007WFP it's sitting next to. Spec sheets aren't the whole picture, it turns out.

If I do go dick around with the Nvidia CP settings and take gamma away from application-controlled to forced, and turn the gamma down from 1.00 to 0.72 or so, I can get rid of the banding in the Mass Effect 2 image. The colors still aren't as good, and I'm still hosed if I want to use this as anything besides a computer monitor since the Xbox 360 can't set its own gamma. What is the deal with this crap?

Edit2: That gamma is all fine and dandy until I run any game in fullscreen, and they overrule my gamma settings. Putting the in-game gamma setting in some games all the way to the lowest possible is still not enough to get the gamma on this thing as low as it is on the desktop, so some games are just washed out and there's nothing to do about it.

I guess I'll try my luck with some other IPS display. The gamma level should be acceptable out of the box if I can't set a global override on the monitor itself. Sheesh.

Aphal fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 18, 2011

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

movax posted:

Your problem looks like classic black levels gone wrong somewhere, like 0-255 vs. 16-255. Any setting like that on your display/GPU control panel? (Black Level: PC/TV, you want PC).

There's a PC vs MAC gamma setting in the OSD (which makes it EVEN BRIGHTER), but nothing about TV mode, and any settings I change in Windows get ignored as soon as a fullscreen game comes into play.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

It just looks bad, is all. It's also worse on the right side, and the problem only manifests from the top. Colors wash out/get dim due to the light even as I move my head at my desk. I might just RMA it because I went through entirely too much bullshit to deal with a monitor that I'm not 100% satisfied with.

Good luck man. I've tried to buy a U2311H twice and they were total crap both times. I think Dell just doesn't have the same quality or deserve the reputation they used to - my 2005FPW and 2007WFP don't have this glow issue and both of them are leagues above the quality of the panels I've gotten lately. I'm not sure where to look now for a good IPS, maybe HP's S-IPS offerings.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

DrDork posted:

HP's generally use the same panels as Dell's do, so unless the issues are unrelated to the panel, you're likely to have similar experiences. If anything, the U2311H is a victim of its own success, as its great popularity seems to be causing stock issues, which then translates into QA issues when the impetus is on shipping units as fast as possible.

HP's own product page states they use S-IPS in the ZR series, whereas the Dells are e-ips. I know I'm not going to get away from an LG panel unless I get a Samsung, really, but they should at least be different panels.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

DrDork posted:

The iMacs are all IPS, so to not look like poo poo, you're going to have to match it with another IPS or MVA. Which brings me to Drake Lake's question: There's a new IPS at NewEgg which looks interesting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122 I haven't seen any actual reviews of it yet, but the stats look pretty good, and it's a bit cheaper than the U2311H, and some report that it's actually the same panel, just an LED backlight instead of CCFL. So if you'd want to be a guinea-pig, do let us know!

This monitor just went on sale, $209 for 23" IPS. w/ promo code EMCKFKC55. Still not sure if I want to give it a shot considering how ugly the thing is.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just got my U2410 in. I'm not totally sold on it. The response time makes even browsing feel off and the anti-glare is very distracting from the image itself. Has anyone else felt this way and gotten used to it? I'm coming from a glossy FHD2400 so it's pretty much a totally different monitor.

e: I played a bit of Crysis 2 and it's extremely hard for me to aim. I hope I get used to this so I don't have to eat a restocking fee.

Dell will totally take it back for a full refund and no restocking fee if you call the returns line and tell them you want to return it + describe what issues you have, if Game-mode doesn't work out.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I guess I just had an awful CRT because when I made the switch from a 19" Samsung one in 2006 to a 2005FPW (IPS), it was like night and day. Everything was better - colors, black level, even ghosting. I somehow had a CRT that blurred on motion, and I didn't know until I had an LCD that things could look so good. Gamma and contrast was also terrible on that thing. I could actually see what I was doing in Deus Ex for once.

It's easy to be like "yeah I wish LCDs would have nil input lag and better blacks" but then I remember actually having that CRT and it was awful.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Tftcentral recently reviewed the u2312hm (the LED backlit refresh of the u2311h) and found it to have the lowest input lag of any panel they have ever tested ever, with an average of less than 1ms. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Grabbed a 2412 for $311 shipped, hope this one actually compares to my 2007WFP in picture quality.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

You're not going to find a glossy monitor outside of an Apple Cinema display. You can't even go with a TN panel either because nobody makes such a thing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're the only ones. The monitor posted above is a good deal if you want an IPS panel for under $200, but I believe only the bezel is glossy, not the display itself.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Any advice on tweaking a 2412 using the OSD? My old 2007WFP still has slightly more realistic color reproduction and better blacks (on factory settings, never had a need to tweak it.) The lower right corner also glows a bit in dark scenes, not sure if it's a backlight issue or not since it fades out if I lean to the right and look at the screen from an angle (not a comfortable one). Just IPS glow due to the size of the thing?

Edit: Actually, the 'multimedia' preset makes it look a lot more vivid and in-line with the color temp on the 2007. I'll give that a shot for a while. Maybe I'm weird, but the standard/custom color settings on default look really blue and sterile.

Aphal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 18, 2011

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

In terms of image quality, there will probably be no difference, or no clear winner. IPS panels haven't changed much in the last 5 years, at least to the naked eye. My 2007WFP and U2412HM have slightly different color profiles, but everything else is the same.

With a 30"er, the main difference would probably be response time. I think the earlier ones had a bit more input delay than the current ones, which still have more than some smaller screens. If you're not gaming a ton, not a dealbreaker.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Zhentar posted:

The 2209WA and the 2312HM have the same resolution; the main difference is that the 2312 will be slightly larger. I'm pretty sure the 2312 would be a pretty underwhelming upgrade, at best.

That's not true. The 2209WA was a 1680x1050, 16:10 screen. The 2312 is a 1920x1080 16:9 screen.

I agree with the second point, though. You'll be going from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080 - not really an upgrade (though I'm one of those 16:10 supremacists.) I would wait for a U2412M on sale - you already have a great monitor.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Dell U2711 is $829.99 on Newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-24260038-L013B

I think that's a good price? Plus bonus for people who'd pay tax from Dell and wouldn't from Newegg.

E: and the U2412m is $310 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

That monitor is exactly what I'm in the market for, but I feel weird buying "last year's" model when the XB271HU exists with a slightly better stand and 165hz. But that one and the 27" IPS ROG Swift have both been out of stock on Amazon / at full MSRP or higher elsewhere. Maybe I should wait for CES & 2017 releases, but I've been itching to ditch my 60hz u2715 Ultrasharp.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Alereon posted:

There are two Predators, XB270HU (TN) and XB271HU (IPS). The marketing for the XB270HU currently doesn't have the Predator name, but reviews at launch did.

This is incorrect, VulgarAndStupid had it right. The XB270HU BPRZ linked is IPS. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm The XB271HU is just a newer revision of it.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I ordered the XB270HU yesterday and BBY just cancelled the order. Bummed out, was really looking forward to playing stuff at 144hz.

vv Edit: :( :hf: :(

Aphal fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 29, 2016

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the ViewSonic XG2703-GS? Price isn't too bad compared to the cancelled BB deal and everywhere seems out of the Acer XB271HU. I want a 1440p 144hz and, unfortunately, I'm not sure how long I can wait for restocks. I've got a new computer worth of parts coming soon and my current monitor is actively dying (takes forever to turn on).

Wow, Viewsonic needs to work on their marketing. I've never even heard of this one and I gave up on finding a something with specs like this for under $700. This review I found on Google sounds promising, I'll probably give it a shot. https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-xg2703-gs/

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

If anyone is still looking for an XB271HU (1440p IPS 165hz G-Sync) Costco has them right now for $699 (in store and online I think, with a membership). I saw a big stack of them in-store earlier today.

Would jump on it myself but I bought the ViewSonic XG2703-GS for $680 off Newegg a few weeks ago (very happy with it!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

My PC is the only thing plugged into my TV and I'd buy a gaming TV that had G-sync, ~90hz and super low latency if such a thing existed, but I imagine the market is way too small for such a product.

vv No, I'm talking about like >42", 4K, real TV scale. I have a 42" 1080p set right now. I'm not talking about something for a desk - I use a 1440p 27" 165hz G-sync display for that.

Aphal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 23, 2017