Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So this isn't the video card thread, but I have a question.

I have:

1 GTX 460
1 SLI enabled motherboard with an open X16 slot
2 DVI monitors

Budget of around 500 bucksish.

I want:

3 monitors, with the ability to treat them as separate monitors and at least play videos and poo poo on any of them, although gaming can be restricted.

I would LIKE but don't NEED:

nVidia Surround or ATI Eyefinity for gaming on all three at once. It'd certainly be nice.

So apparently the nVidia only does two monitors at a time and won't do a third for hardware reasons. Okay sure. The GTX 590 will do three at once, but it's 750 bucks and that's a shitton to drop on a video card. So, if I'm looking to do this, should I just replace my nVidia with an Eyefinity card or do those do it as one huge display?

BONUS ROUND:

I have the following desk and I would like to see if anyone makes a monitor stand that would mount in the holes and hold up to three monitors. Or if someone knows of a way to hack one without having to go punch the holes myself. Excuse the lovely flash on the second one, those are holes and they're at least a few inches deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

BONUS ROUND:

I have the following desk and I would like to see if anyone makes a monitor stand that would mount in the holes and hold up to three monitors. Or if someone knows of a way to hack one without having to go punch the holes myself. Excuse the lovely flash on the second one, those are holes and they're at least a few inches deep.

Reply to bonus round: I decided to just use long bolts and a 2x6 to attach monitor arms for the side ones and a monitor mount for the middle one. The biggest problem I have now is deciding whether or not I can shove a secondary video card into my PC without it turning into a small nuclear reactor.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Eej posted:

What's stopping you from just getting another 460 and SLI together for 3 displays?

Nvidia's website is really weird about explaining SLI, and when I was reading it, it looked like it couldn't be done, but multiple people confirmed it can. I think I'm just going to do that, but I might have to wait until it cools down. 90F in my room with two video cards going in a case with fan cooling will probably just kill everything :(

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
#firstworldproblems time, but seriously Dell, why the gently caress is it 90 bucks more to go to the U2412M :( my other two monitors are 24", having a 23" will seriously throw off my feng shui.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Are there any retail outlets that stock dell monitors? Looking to pick up a U2312HM, but hate waiting for shipping :(

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

You guys got a Micro Center?

Up in the Seattle area, never heard of Micro center :( Doesn't look like they've got any up here anyway. Stopped by Fry's, they don't have any dell monitors at all.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Ah, so you need the screw that came attached to the monitor originally. Here you go: http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=1330

There aren't many places at all in the US that stock Dell monitors. Minus MicroCenter, your only real hope would be a small local mom & pop type place that might happen to have a few. None of the major chains (BestBuy, Fry's, Office Depot/Max, etc) carry anything but the shittiest of the Dell lineup.

Welp, might just end up paying for next day shipping :\ was hoping to get it setup this weekend, but c'est la vie.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone here have any triple monitor experience? I ended up picking up a PCI GT 520 for my third monitor (first two are on a GTX 560 Ti PCI-E x16) and I'm some serious lag on it, way more than I expected, and on things like 'web browsing, right clicking on desktop, etc'.

I have an Asus P7P55 LX mobo and I have both a spare x16 and x1 slot - what's the best way for me to hook up a third monitor? I can return this card pretty easily to Fry's and replace with a decent x16 card (I dropped 60 on this, as I wanted to get a halfway decent card even if it was PCI), but I can't find decent information on what happens if you start swapping in monitors.

Specific questions, if this helps:

1. If I buy say a GTX 520 PCI-E x16 and plug it into my spare slot with no SLI or anything, what will happen? Decreased performance? x8 mode on both cards?

2. If I buy a PCI-E x1 video card, am I likely to see any improvement over dual PCI-E x16s?

3. For some crazy reason, should I be looking at ATi for my secondary card?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Factory Factory posted:

I'd say the PCI video card is the problem here. The P55 chipset doesn't have native PCI, so you're getting your third monitor running not only at an anemic 133 MB/s of bandwidth, but that's cut in half by a PCIe-PCI bridge chip. Plus, then, the GeForce 520 isn't a native PCI card, so there's ANOTHER bridge chip on there to go from PCI back to PCIe. That's another hit to effective bandwidth, and also a non-trivial amount of latency to add to the connection.

Questions:
1. x8/x8 mode for the cards. You won't see a performance difference, as that's still enough bandwidth for the 560 Ti.

2. No. While it would be a definite upgrade over the PCI version, it sounds like, it might have some specific issues with your board. Specifically: in the only available x1 slot, the card could block the fan for your 560 Ti a bit and raise the card's temperatures/noise; and if you put it in the other x16 slot, you'll still get x8/x8 mode even though the card is only x1 electrically. So, coupled with the lack of performance impact between having the 560 Ti running in x8 mode, an x1 card isn't worth the typical price premium over the x16 card.

3. AMD is really good with multimonitor stuff, but the real benefit would be running all those monitors off of one card. Assuming you're using Windows 7, there shouldn't be any problems running both AMD drivers and nVidia drivers concurrently, so you could use an AMD card. But it won't give you any actual advantages, and the risk of driver infighting makes for a lot of potential problems for a video card that's only going to be doing 2D stuff. Assuming you can get an nVidia card as cheaply, stick with the nVidia card.

Did anyone ever tell you that you're awesome, because you're mega awesome. :) Thanks! I tried digging around tomshardware and everywhere else and just couldn't find any clear answers about this, it kept going back to SLI questions. :(

Update - went and picked up a GT520 (compared it to the 430 and picked it for the lower power usage and comparable performance) and so far everything's great! 1080p on any of the monitors for video playback is fantastic, and none of the lag I saw before.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 8, 2012

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

movax posted:

Alright, so no idea if the new MBP TNG display is IPS or not, but it's a pants-wetting 2880x1880 display in 15".

I literally cannot wait for monitor manufacturers to start pushing for higher DPI screens, I hope this is a good push in that direction.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Question - I'm thinking about replacing my current monitors with the Monoprice 27" Crystalpro monitors when they become available - but they apparently don't have any internal scaling so they only take 2560x1440 input. I play some games/etc that only output in a specific resolution, and that'd be a pain with something like this; can you use a video card setting to play in-between so the program doesn't freak out and the monitor still gets the signal it wants? Currently running an nVidia GTX 670, for what that's worth.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

MancXVI posted:

Actual opinion: I know Monoprice following the Korean barebones model pretty much destroys the Korean barebones model, but just bite the bullet and buy one with actual features if you need scaling. They're backordered through March, anyway.

Well, the problem is that the difference between a korean panel without any features and a domestic panel with those features is...fairly significant in cost, from what I understand - isn't a 27" IPS screen from anyone reputable basically 900 or more? Or are there panels out there with built-in scalers?

I'm not in any rush to replace my current ones, was planning on picking it up when they come out in march.

Edit: alright, looks like the 27" U2713HM from Dell is approximately like $650-800 or so depending on place; but considering I'm planning on replacing three monitors that is a chunk more cash. Although to be fair I can probably get away with replacing the middle monitor I use for gaming/etc with the Dell and the side panels with the CrystalPro ones.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 5, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone tried mounting this or something like it? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10235&seq=1&format=2#description

Trying to find a desk mount that will handle it - my other two monitors are going to be pretty simply, but this one's the problem child. Making things worse, it needs to be mounted slightly off center due to the way my desk is setup.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Aside from the Asus RoG PG278Q, are there any other gsync enabled gaming-focused monitors coming out in 27"+?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Goddamnit Asus quit being a cocktease and tell us when the ROG Swift is coming out :(

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

the1onewolf posted:

ROG swift is already out - it's just sold out everywhere for now.

Oh, great. Couldn't find it on amazon or anything :(

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

1gnoirents posted:

g sync is going to trump the poo poo out of it though. Assuming thats why he wants it of course. From all accounts its the "best" kind of TN possible and mostly suffers from TN angle issues and while I haven't seen it yet I'm certain I'd put up with it

Yeah, basically it's a 27" 2560x1440-res G-Sync monitor and I'm exactly the sort of gigantic manchild this monitor is geared towards. Mostly because screen tearing irritates the poo poo out of me so I couldn't really do 120hz before.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Planning on making the jump to ultrawidescreen, but wanted to figure out some stuff first. For the purposes of these questions, I'm planning on getting the Acer Predator X34.

I know that many games have questionable support. On these titles, can I force a more standard resolution like 2560x1440 with side letterboxes and correct aspect ratio or will it try and push it to the full monitor size? Is this a driver setting?

Between the X34 and ROG SWIFT PG348Q, is there a huge reason to go one way or another?

Any major software or other stuff I should look into to help out with Ultrawidescreen?
'
I'm on a GTX 1070 right now and using the original 27" ROG Swift G-sync they released a year or so ago if that matters at all.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Mister Fister posted:

Does G-Sync actually benefit anything if you are averaging more than 144 fps?

If you can stably stay above your monitor's refresh rate, G-Sync shouldn't do anything at all, really. Of course if you're at 144hz and can stay above that then jeez man add some graphical options and hang out at 100 fps :p

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I have an X34 and I can run games at 2560x1440 and it will letterbox appropriately.

Thanks! Like it otherwise? Any complaints or reasons you might have wanted the ROG instead?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Yeah it's fantastic. No complaints here. I picked it over the ROG because it was $100 cheaper, otherwise the specs look identical.

Well, just ordered the X34. :)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Here's a weird question. I just jumped from an Alienware AW3418DW to a Gigabyte M32U, and I'm noticing that it's taking a long rear end time to switch between gpu-enabled windows compared to the Alienware. It feels a lot like jumping between fullscreen exclusive, but this happens on borderless fullscreen/etc. I suspect this is a freesync thing, but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to modify this or otherwise adjust it. Any ideas?

Edit: GPU is an RTX 3090.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Your system only sees a single monitor right? You're not using any headless adapters? Even a Displayport cable plugged into a powered-off display (like if you left a cable hooked up to the Alienware) will still return EDID from the monitor chip and cause Windows to think there's two displays and cause issues.

If you're only on single monitor, when I last used Freesync (a long time ago, like 2015) it only worked in fullscreen games. Maybe since then there's a way to force it on all the time, or use an overlay (i.e. some screen capture apps or framerate counters like FRAPS count as overlays) which might trick it into always thinking there's a fullscreen app. Counter to that, there could be an overlay that is actually causing the issue. I've seen Fraps, the GeForce Experience overlay, and Rivatuner all cause issues, so check if you have those running.

I've got two monitors running yeah; but I'm talking about like alt-tabbing or otherwise changing focus from one window to another. On my ultrawide I don't think I had any screen flash/etc when I was trying to switch focus on a borderless windowed program, and now it blacks out the main monitor for a couple seconds.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
This is gonna be pretty firstworldproblems:

I've got a Gigabyte M32U right now, and when I need to switch resolutions for any reason (such as alt-tabbing out of a fullscreen application or anything that changes refresh rate) the delay is just a loving pain in the rear end. It's a solid three seconds of black screen in either direction, and my old ultrawide alienware took like a fraction of a second.

A couple of my favorite games like Slay the Spire trigger this and it honestly just really irritates me. Beyond that the monitor is fine, I've got it on the latest firmware and nothing has helped; looking around pointed out that other folks see the same thing and it's on any resolution that requires DSC.

I'm in the market for a new monitor anyway (Wife's second screen is ancient and has a dead backlight) so I was planning on moving the M32U to be my secondary monitor and picking up a new primary. However, it looks like the Rtings recommendations for 4K gaming monitors all seem to have some weird issues; the Samsung Neo G8 appears to have a pretty crappy anti-glare coating and also pretty serious scanlines( although maybe the scanlines are better now?) . The LG 32GQ950-B has terrible local dimming, etc.

And for all that I'm not sure if any of these would fix the weird resolution swapping issue I have with the M32U. Should I just hold off? I'd like to stick with something in the 32" 4k range and not go bigger or go to Ultrawide.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

Set scaling to happen on GPU and your monitor will always be running at max res. Any downtime at that point has nothing to do with the monitor. Your GPU is a way better and faster scaler than a monitor, there's rarely any reason to let a monitor do scaling.

Set scaling to GPU in nVidia control panel and no change in behavior. Open Slay the Spire, click out to another window, solid 2-3 seconds of black screen. Click back in, same deal. This is on Borderless Fullscreen too- I can only assume other games will do the same trick.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

Well, I don't think the problem is the monitor. It's not changing resolution, nothing is happening from its perspective.

A quick search "slay the spire alt tab" says maybe windows focus mode is the problem, try turning that off.

Windows focus mode isn't enabled, and it absolutely is something with the monitor. It might not be changing resolution, but something is definitely changing and it didn't happen on my other monitor - this also isn't unique to Slay the Spire but that just happens to be the easiest one to test it. Going to see if I can get any details from the monitor's OSD to see if it's changing modes or something.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Relevant to my last posts, is there any way folks know of to log precisely what signal is being sent out of a video card? Trying to debug this weird issue with my monitor switching modes.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I haven't chimed in but have been reading your posts, and I've just gotten used to dealing with basically the same thing you describe. It is really noticeable on my older Acer XF270HU, and I want to say it happens to a lesser extent on my newer HP X32. It's a major reason why I started running a small secondary monitor so I can keep maps or walkthroughs up while I play a game and not have to try to remember them when it takes a few seconds to tab out and tab in to a fullscreen game.

I haven't done a lot of testing, but just now it occurred to me to see if it happens in Linux, and it didn't. I've tried stuff like enabling freesync for both fullscreen and windowed apps in Windows and it never made any difference. I have freesync enabled on Linux, although Nvidia gives a different control panel for their Linux drivers and doesn't seem to have the setting for fullscreen and windowed the same way Windows does.

This has been true for me with the Acer monitor across a 1060 6GB, 2070 Super, and 3080 12GB.

Hmm, thanks for the info. I've heard that part of it is Digital Stream Compression or whatever the new HDMI compression algorithm is; some monitors apparently use garbage chips for the conversion that take a while.

Anyway the part triggering the issue for me might be switching from g-sync to non-gsync. I might try playing around and see what I can do.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Are OLEDs a good idea for desktops yet? Burn in was a concern before.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
This is maybe more of a GPU question, and I suspect the answer is 'it depends' but how much impact to gaming performance/etc is there from your second monitor being 4k vs 1080p? Curious if anyone here has any experience with that.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

Windows focus mode isn't enabled, and it absolutely is something with the monitor. It might not be changing resolution, but something is definitely changing and it didn't happen on my other monitor - this also isn't unique to Slay the Spire but that just happens to be the easiest one to test it. Going to see if I can get any details from the monitor's OSD to see if it's changing modes or something.

Recapping this thread from earlier: I've got a Gigabyte M32U and the time it takes to change display mode (so changing refresh rate/resolution/etc) is long enough to be irritating (around 2.7 seconds or more, which doesn't sound like much until you're trying to alt-tab back and forth to a game) and wasn't present on my previous Alienware Ultrawide. From looking around, this seems to possibly be due to something involving DSC (Digital Stream Compression) on the M32U, but that might be something that affects other similar monitors.

One of the questions was games that trigger this behavior and I have a few other examples: Tales of Maj'eyal, Slay the Spire, and Tower Tactics: Liberation. None of these are major AAA games and it's likely has to do with them having limited display configuration and trying to freeze gsync. Unfortunately this is the sort of game I like to play a lot, so uh, yeah.

Dragging this back up because I'm likely buying another monitor soon anyway, so I'll probably make my M32U my secondary and pick up a new primary monitor. So, anyone else running a 4K monitor at 144hz or so, is this something you also see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Any big reasons to avoid something like the Neo G8 right now? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...onitors-4k&th=1 I heard there's new monitors coming next year with OLEDs, but not sure how big of a deal they were.