Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Can you actually go DP -> HDMI -> DVI with one of these HDMI to DVI adaptors you get with video cards which are meant to go the other way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Dont see the antiglare coating mentioned, I got a dell 27" this week, and during movies/games I dont notice it but it is visible when browsing. I could still return it but not much point of doing all that work if the HP isn't any different. Has anyone seen that mentioned?

Its also LED backlit instead of CCF, however it uses the same amount of electricity, that seems incorrect.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has anyone used these monitor arms before?
http://www.arctic.ac/de/p/equipment/monitorarme/458/.html

Reviews for the dual version on amazon look promising, but dual cannot individually adjust heights.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has anyone gone from 27" to 30"? Obviously upgrading from 22", 24" is a huge difference, but what about going from basicly 16:9 2560x... to 16:10 2560x..., do you feel it is worth double the price?
This would be for gaming/movies.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Longterm plan is getting a cheap LCD TV sometime for DVDs, I don't think I can go back to HD resolution for gaming however. I rarely work at home, so room for coding really isn't a priority. (And honestly if I were to code, I would rotate the monitor, and then the resolution is similar anyhow.) 16:9 just feels too wide for the height when gaming for some reason.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Is there any disadvantage to putting a 2711 and 2713 next to each other instead of matching? I know the 2713 "only" has an 8bit panel, which I am fine with.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ACID POLICE posted:

Is the IBM T221 enough to satisfy your desires?

Now someone convince me getting one of those instead of a u2713 is a bad idea (for less).
I assume it doesn't need a specialized graphics card, just enough DVI outputs?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

It supposedly works with a dual link DVI and a single link DVI with slightly reduced refresh rate. Both current ATI and nvidia cards only have a dual DVI port and a single DVI port, and the rest is allocated for DP.

Twice the DPI of the 27" screens probably only would work with images, nothing text based or interactive.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I could buy it, take it to work, and get the software guys to finally work on DPI scaling.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Why not put two of the 27" monitors in portrait, and have the landscape one be on one of the sides for gaming.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Chubby Coffee posted:

This is somewhat tangential to this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a 3-meter mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables that will run a monitor at 2560x1600? I just tried a cable from Monoprice only to discover that it won't do better than 1920x1080--in fact, according to their technical support line, none of their cables will do better than 1920x1080. According to the DisplayPort FAQ, only 2-meter cables can be guaranteed to do 2560x1600, so I'm a bit reluctant to trust the sales blurbs on Amazon or Newegg.

I'm using this one (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001MUI3LU/ 3m version) + a mini dp <> dp adaptor that was included with my video card and it is working just fine.

One question, my U2711 has the OSD locked, and I cannot figure out how to unlock it. According to various posts its either the bottom button for 15 seconds, or the bottom two, or remove all cables and press the power button for 5 seconds, but nothing works.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So, my new dell 27" died after 7 weeks or so, it just went pop and lost power.
I called dell, was forwarded 2 times or so for RMA service, and gave some lady in india who barely spoke any german my details, for next day replacement. Its been a week without anything arriving so I called them again, got a guy in germany who checked the RMA status and told me that the RMA order had the shipping address, email address, and name all completely wrong. I had dictated some of these letter by letter and the stuff which was in the DB were 50% longer than what would be correct.

He then told me he can't change what is entered, I would have to get a new RMA... and forwarded me to the department in india where after waiting another half an hour I again get someone who barely speaks german, I give them the correct details, they repeat them back, and tell me I would get the replacement on monday. And they must have managed to mangel the email address again because I still did not get a confirmation email.

Is this the typical dell RMA process, because the comments in this thread have generally recommended them?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm guessing it was india, the guy I spoke to first said he would have to forward me to a different location and I have never heard german spoken so badly / with such a bad accent.

I first tried email using the same page I got the phone contact # from, but I never got a reply to my email request. When I compare this to other companies its abysmal. I had to RMA a samsung HDD, which is now owned by Seagate, and the entire time from getting a RMA number, sending them the drive, having them verify it as defective, and receiving a replacement took less time than trying to replace my monitor, and it all worked via webforms/email. Intel RMA also is great, I think they have a center in Ireland, I've mainly dealt with them in english but they also speak quite good german.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah, a lot of the more high end or important crap can end up being Samsung inside (whatever device). I've also been on a Samsung ship and lived in a Samsung apartment building, and ridden in a Samsung car, riding past pristine Samsung factories having no clue what was being made inside since everything we get says made in China on it

I'm pretty sure they have their fabs in korea and then put the stuff together in china.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^^
I need one of those in portrait mode (If you mean the 3440x1440 one, LG appears to have two 34" models).
And one of the 4K 32" dells to ummm test compatibility under high DPI settings.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Offtopic: Do we have a similar thread for TV recommendations anywhere?

E: nm, found the link in the short hardware quesions thread.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Texibus posted:

Maybe y'all can Diagnose this for me, I got the Benq XL2411z for gaming purposes and when I hook it up to my Xbox One it occasionally makes the screen go black, what could be the cause of this?

One of my monitors does this whenever I have the cellphone to close and it tries to reconnect to a base station. Apparently the cheap cable isn't shielded well and the cell signal induces enough noise to disrupt the image.

E: nm, already solved.

Ika fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 24, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tab8715 posted:

Scaling works, better in Windows 8 than 7 but I still don't think you can independently scale displays which is a little disappointing.

Afaik screen dependent DPI scaling was introduced with win8. That doesn't mean a lot of apps support it natively, but I think windows tries to compensate to a degree for older apps.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I have a Dell U3014, which looks great and all, but for the last few months it's been doing this thing where it intermittently loses it's connection, goes to sleep, and then starts up again (or doesn't until I plug it back in). HDMI to my PS4 is usable, and only dies once every few hours, but thunderbolt to display port is awful on my macbook and it goes out constantly.

I've googled all over and I can't really find anyone else reporting this problem, except for one person who brought it up and reported that removing bluetooth devices from the proximity of their monitor fixed it. That's not doing it for me, though.

So, has anyone heard of anything like this? I've had the monitor for less than a year, is this the kind of thing that might be under warranty?

cellphone syncing + cheap cable kills the picture on my u2713, maybe something similar?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Also is Dell still running the panel lottery as years back, where review and initial batches came with awesome IPS panels, and suddenly were switched with TN ones?

I never heard of this before. I thought you just sometimes got unlucky with the backlight bleed. Have a source?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has anyone looked at the dell UP3216Q? Going to >=30" has been tempting me for 5 years and now I can get 4K for the same price as 2560x1600 used to cost. It'd replace my U2711.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

FateFree posted:

Is there a reason why no one makes 30 inch monitors? I bought a dell 30 about 8 years ago, and its been amazing but I want to upgrade to fancy things like gsync and high refresh rates. However its either 27 inches, which seems like such a downgrade, or 34 ultrawide.

Dell has a new 4k 16:9 31.5" display, the UP3216Q. Its not 4:3, but at least its not ultrawide either. I haven't seen a review yet but its on my wishlist.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

xthetenth posted:

Why would you want a 4:3 screen for a device that isn't going to spend most of its time with one thing on it?

that resolution and size is easily enough to split the screen into a left and right half, and 4:3 means more lines of code.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

xthetenth posted:

I honestly don't find going from 50 to 70 lines of code (or whatever it would be) significantly increases the chances of finding what I'm looking for on the same screen, while going wider lets me have two columns of code and a reference doc, and most of the time PDFs and the like are noticeably easier to read at 1440 px or higher, so trying to split a 4:3 screen into quarters would make it really awkward for readability.

I've got 2 columns of code on a 16:9 27" monitor. Why shouldn't I be able to use 2 columns of code on a 32" 4:3 monitor then?

E: I mean I get that two columns is useful, but 16:9 32" isn't going to be enough for three.

Ika fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 22, 2015

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

xthetenth posted:

That's true, I'm more thinking of what I can do with my ultrawides.

Good point, but is there a tool that modifies windows+left or windows+right to split the screen into vertical thirds? That would make ultrawides more attractive, since I couldn't be bothered with doing that by hand all the time.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So now you can get a 5K$ 4K OLED 32" and a 5K$ 8K 32"... I just need to win the lottery.

Maybe in 2 years they'll be the new norm. I'm not planning on getting a new one until my u2711 dies, but I have the upgrade itch.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I was looking at monitors again, a few years ago I decided I wouldn't replace my U2711 / U2713 until one of em died, but they are still hanging in there and 4K is very tempting.

How is the dell U3219Q for photo editing, coding, and gaming (in that order)?

I also saw the U4919DW, a 49" curved ultra ultra wide which is basically the equivalent of my current setup in one monitor seems a tad ridiculous, so I am not seriously considering getting it, but I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The P4317Q? I've been tempted, but I've seen mixed reviews, and to be honest it may be a bit large for a monitor.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ulio posted:

This is what I have experienced so far.

1.Turns off entirely and then turns back on by itself immediately.
2.Screen goes black but power light is still ON. I turn it off and it turns off. Then I turn it on but it doesn't turn on. In this case only unplugging>replugging turns it back on.
3.I was using a surge suppressor and I tried directly on the wall. I think the results were the same on both.
4.Could it be the power outlet? Everything else works fine on it.
5.I am directly connected to my GPU could that be the problem? GPU issue doesn't explain why I can't turn the monitor back on after I turn it off after a black screen.

I switched powercords for the monitor and still turned off. Currently I connected to the mobo's hdmi port and will see if it turns off, also it might have something to do with overclocking not sure but with integrated graphics you can't overclock the refresh rate anyway.

I've seen a monitor drop the signal connection to a PC with cheap HDMI cables and a cell phone too close to em, which induced too much noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Lenovo ThinkVision P32u-10, mostly for coding and photo work, some lightweight gaming. I'm replacing a 27" Dell U2711 with it, is there any reason not to grab it? Reviews sound good aside from the lack of 144hz support which I don't really care about.