Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
I'll guess that the new TV doesn't do 4:4:4 chroma subsampling which tends to make text look like poo poo no matter what you do.

Requisite AVS post that goes into way too much detail on the subject:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1381724

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Reposting this because it got skipped over. I'd like some opinions here, if possible.

The Dell is eIPS while the Samsung is TN. Since they are similar in price, I wouldn't bother with the Samsung.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

movax posted:

I don't think you'll have issues with input lag with the U2410 that will negatively affect your gameplay. My mind is blanking on the moment though with the U2410/12s behavior regarding stretching or 1:1'ing 1080p input over HDMI, I'm sure an owner of one of those models will post in a bit.

U2412 stretches to fill the screen while the U2410 can do 1:1.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Corte posted:

Wondering if this is a good deal or if I should wait for something better: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-2676&dgc=SS&cid=80865&lid=2053788

I don't think the U2412 is going to get much cheaper than that. I'd go for it if that is what you want.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

rawrr posted:

I think you mean the U2410 - the U2412M is 16:9.

No, the U2412m is 16:10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

I've never encountered a HDTV where you can't turn off overscan. I've been able to do it with numerous Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, and LG HDTV's. Even the the 7 year old offbrand HDTV (Olevia) I still have around for some reason can do it. It's not always named something sensible but you can most likely do it somewhere in the settings.

As has been said, you really don't want to be working around overscan via graphics card settings as that degrades picture quality and can cause issues with games.