Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrytaxman
Apr 16, 2006
My U2711 arrived today, and it's quite badass, and HUGE even coming from a 16:10 26" monitor. But the one problem I have with it is that it seems to have a strange coating on it that makes everything that's light (like white background on a webpage) kind of "shimmer". Has anyone else noticed this? Will I get used to it, or does it go away, or is it just something that some people can't get over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytaxman
Apr 16, 2006

DrDork posted:

That's the anti-glare coating that has been discussed so much. By itself it will never go away. You may or may not get used to it. Some people have gone so far as to strip the AG coating off (Google for it), but I've no idea what sort of consequences that carries for the warranty. Myself, I just got used to the very similar AG coating on my U2410, but it is a deal-breaker for some people.

Yeah I decided to google it after posting this, and it seems to be a very polarizing issue. Personally it's straining my eyes a whole lot right now and is making me very uncomfortable. This sucks I debated for weeks about what monitor to get and never really thought twice about the anti-glare coating being an issue for me.

angrytaxman
Apr 16, 2006

movax posted:

Your other option in the 27" class is the Apple LED display (along with necessary converters) but that comes with its drawbacks as well. I think most of the pro models in this size range are all matte w/ AG coatings. NEC might make a model that's glossy, but it'll be big bucks.

Yeah the other display I was considering was a refurb 27" iMac Core2Duo and using the min-DP port to run my computer. It's $1269 which is $550 more than the U2711 was. That's a lot of dough!