Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

ease posted:

I just bought a 3rd lcd. I have 2 acer x233hs, and now I'm adding a 24" Samsung B2430H. I currently have a GTX 470 in a Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r.

I have an old ATI Pci-X card I want to use to supply the third card with graphics (just for desktop expansion, and to play with softth for fsx) if I can. Googling has told me that I can and cannot do this. If I can cool, but if I can't, can anyone suggest a card that I can buy that it will work with that is cheaper than another GTX 470?

It'll depend on the OS. Windows 7 will be able to do it. Vista won't and it'll be hard as poo poo IIRC to get it done on XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

tokki g posted:

Hey, I need a recommendation for a monitor for use at work/lab. ~24" would be nice, 1080p nice but not necessary (would be nice b/c then we can also use the monitor to hook up to our microscopes), USB ports would also be awesome, and ~$150-180. I'm looking at this, but it has no USB ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

Generally speaking nothing in that price range will have a USB hub built in. Dell, for instance, only puts USB hubs on their Ultrasharp line.

Is desk space at a premium? They make cheap USB hubs/card readers. Newegg has a cheap hub that'd probably suffice and its tiny.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399068

quote:

Provides three USB 2.0 ports and multiple memory card reading/writing abilities
Support CF, SD, microSD/T-Flash, miniSD, MS/MS Duo/M2 and other common card types with no additional adapters needed
Up to 32GB high capacity support for SDHC and microSDHC cards
Compact and small form factor design offers great portability
Backward compatible with USB 1.1 specifications

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 14, 2011

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

I'm having some issues with my Dell u2311h. Occasionally, when I either cold boot the computer OR turn on the monitor while the computer has been on (and move the mouse/tap the keyboard to activate the display), the u2311h will take half a minute or so to display an image. This problem also seems to coincide with a very unresponsive OSD. It'll take like 15 seconds for the brightness/contrast bars to pop up.

So far, removing the power cord for a while has served as a temporary fix, but the issue seems to eventually come back. I've also tried resetting the monitor to factory settings, although that can be difficult, with the OSD unresponsive and all.

Anyone had this happen to them? Google reports other instances, but no one has any suggestions besides what I mentioned and RMAing the unit.

When it last happened, I noticed the top of my monitor was pretty hot, in part because the back faces a sunny window. I'm gonna try to keep it out of the sun and see if the problem keeps occuring.

RMA it. Ask for an advance RMA. Dell is pretty good about making sure its Ultrasharp customers are pretty happy. You may have to try a few times, but one of their customer support monkeys should be willing to do an advance RMA. They should send you your replacement unit and a box to ship the borked one back with.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

sleepness posted:

Looking for a bit of assistance with the U2711 I just purchased. While this monitor is fantastic, it seems to have a weird problem.

During some sections of games (for instance, load levels between portal 2, Crysis 2 exit game screen), it will just start to dim, like it's being shut off, and stay at a very low brightness until something else occurs in the program I'm running (For instance, when I end up hitting the Yes/No option in the Quit Game screen - the dimming makes it near impossible to see it). I know thats a very horrible explanation, but it's a really weird problem. I have no idea how to fix this.

I'm using the high power scheme for Windows, as well as searched through the U2711 OSD while finding nothing.

What monitor mode are you using? Some of the preset modes have a dynamic brightness/contrast function. (Or at least my U2410 does) and in some games it performs poorly. I would attempt to disable that or switch to a preset mode with no dynamic control and see if it alleviates the issue you're experiencing.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

The Dave posted:

I'm going to try and avoid being wrong or go rambling off, but both are very likely.

I think it's possible people aren't completely thinking in their needs, seeing the U2410 is the #1 suggested monitor, and then blowing their money on something they probably don't need.

Why the U2410 wasn't for me: Color is extremely important for me. I'm a web designer, and I like to believe a pretty good one, so I am extremely fickle about my use of color. Like we're talking sometimes I debate with myself over something like 6% opacity vs. 8% opacity.

Now getting the U2410 was my fault, I wasn't familiar with the wide gamut situation. Everything looked over saturated to me though, and my designs that I'm very familiar with all looked off. Now if you're not any type of image editor this isn't going to apply, however I don't know why you would get the U2410 to being with.

From what I've gathered from both this thread and my own experience, if you aren't doing print design, photo-retouching, or need a lot of inputs, you're spending at least a $100 more than you need to.

I had to really mute and muddy the U2410 to get the color close to what I thought was sRGB, (which it was still a hair off), and at that point whatever the settings were at were giving me some serious eye strain reading black text on white backgrounds.

Now I have the ZR24w, and it took a second for me to realize it's in everyway the better monitor for me. One, standard gamut. All the colors look right. Two, not overpaying for features I'm not going to use. I am using this purely as a monitor, part of the U2410's price is that it have over 12 million different inputs, and also has picture-in-picture and split screen features. All I need is DVI or Display Port, and that's the the ZR24w has, so I don't feel like I just paid for a lot of features that will go to waste.

Now I got an IPS because I notice the color shifting on large TN panels and it could really mess with my design sense. For an example a large area that is a flat color will look like it has mild gradient applied to it, and just moving your head up and down shows that if you aren't looking dead at the center you might not be seeing the actual color.

Everyone buying monitors for browsing, office, gaming, I think really needs to reconsider if they need an IPS monitor, probably not. If there are TN panels out there that have good black levels and little bleeding, save yourself the money if you aren't that sensitive to colors.

Or to simply some up everything I typed in editing what David Tennant just said:

You only need an IPS for viewing angles and color accuracy. The U2410 is generally only for people who do (non-web)content creation, or who need a shitload of inputs.

If you cared so much about color accuracy why aren't you using a calibrator, regardless of which monitor you've chosen?