Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well, I wanted to try this out but they're doing maintenance right now. From the perspective of someone who doesn't have any idea how the game works the discussion in this thread is absolutely incomprehensible, in a good way.

I'm looking forward to having some persuasive nightmares of fateful ambition.

Maintenance is just over, and they added a few things as well as changed others.

You now only get 50 actions per day unless you're a subscriber, upon which you'll get 100. There's also a new area to explore (Mahogany Hall, but it's bloody expensive to get in there; access it from your Lodgings) and apparently a few other misc stuff, like setting the max limit for Nightmares, Scandal, Wounds and Suspicion at a standard 8 instead of 8/5/5/5.

Tip: once your stats start reaching into the 30s, you'll start gaining Menaces every time you fail at a check. As a general rule of thumb, you gain Nightmares from failing Watchful checks, Scandal from Persuasion, Wounds from Dangerous and Suspicion from Shadowy. There are a few ways to lower them, but most of them involve passing some of that onto a friend. Scandal can be lowered at your Lodgings (Church Service storylet with Scandal 3+) with a die roll, and Nightmares can be from lowered anywhere (the Strange Figure storylet which should appear once your Nightmares is high enough) with a die roll.

thanthos fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

thanthos posted:

Nightmares can be from lowered anywhere (the Strange Figure storylet which should appear once your Nightmares is high enough) with a die roll.

I did not know this, thank you. I've been burning through Appalling Secrets at a ludicrous rate trying to avoid going insane in the Forgotten Quarter storylines, this should make it tons easier.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

thanthos posted:

The whole game is mostly statting up, yeah. If you don't take the time to read the writing, though, you're pretty much missing about 90% of the game because that's the main draw for most people, myself included. The other 10% of the game comes from statting up other stuff aside from your main 4 stats. For instance, I've currently made the Acquaintance of a Repentant Forger when I was sent to prison: the next time I died, I happened to draw an opportunity card that allowed me to recall the time I spent with the Forger and thus pull myself that much closer back to life.

Regardless of which pair of main stats you find yourself drawn to, try to get a headstart on your Ambition as soon as possible, and make sure you're on the right Ambition: there's one for every possible pairing. For example, my Dangerous/Watchful Ambition is to hunt down the Vake, a legendary monster that haunts Fallen London... though some people say that it's just a man who puts on a costume to flutter through the night.

Oh, I love the writing and the Lovecraftian aesthetic, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't supposed to be doing some specific task now now now as opposed to easing my way into the meat of the game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Well, I've burned through my first day's worth of experiencing this wretched little city.

Would anyone like to make the acquaintance of Hieronymus Von Schopenhauer?

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well, I've burned through my first day's worth of experiencing this wretched little city.

Would anyone like to make the acquaintance of Hieronymus Von Schopenhauer?

Followed, so has anyone else been given a second candle? Figure they are just doing it to give us a taste but I don't think I will be paying $10 a month on this even though it is a fun game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I figure I'm going to end up buying fate at some point so I bought some now, I'm going to send them an email and see if I can get in on the free stuff, what do I have to lose?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

rev.justin posted:

Followed, so has anyone else been given a second candle? Figure they are just doing it to give us a taste but I don't think I will be paying $10 a month on this even though it is a fun game.

If you've ever bought Fate at any point prior to...I don't know when exactly, you got a week's free "subscriber" status as, yes, a taste.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

I quite gladly gave them my money twice so far because I figured, hey, new company, no middleman, I enjoy the game, so why the hell not.

Just take note though: at higher levels, there are often Fate-based actions (usually from Opportunity cards) that give you a more optimised stat/action deal. I would strongly recommend against those, because they almost never give you something that you can't just get from grinding over time. Here are some of the Fate-based actions that I actually find useful:

• Honeyed Laudanum from "Mr Wines is holding a sale": makes it so that you don't lose your progress in your dreams even if you go insane (i.e. reach Nightmares 8+). Very very helpful, but quite expensive at 9 Fate. Still, always worthwhile to have at least 1 in your inventory in case you accidentally go nuts because you were too careless about your Nightmares.
  • Getting into any of the restricted areas other than the Forgotten Quarter. Most of them are quite expensive, and a little Fate will solve the problem for you.
  • Second Candle: aside from basically doubling your actions per day, it also removes the ads, which is a nice touch I felt.

John Pastor posted:

Oh, I love the writing and the Lovecraftian aesthetic, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't supposed to be doing some specific task now now now as opposed to easing my way into the meat of the game.

The only really specific task you ought to be doing as soon as you can is getting to grips with your Ambition and moving it along whenever you can. What is sometimes very frustrating is having just sold all your Diamonds for Echoes... only to find out that you needed 10 Diamonds to proceed to the next part of the Ambition.

For this reason, I would also advise people to not sell stuff that you can't replace easily. Different characters would have different things that they get all the time: Persuasive will have tons of Whispered Secrets and Cryptic Clues, Dangerous Rostygold, Shadowy I'm not sure, and Watchful Whispered Secrets. Just note the adventures you're going on and rewards you get the most often, and sell those items if you need money.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
So, I just did some kind of mushroom race thing? That was a loving mess. Cost a bunch of actions, had to pay out fate to get in, and every challenge was way too high-level for me. Got proper hosed at every turn, came out with wounds, some new nightmare levels, and meager skill increases and retry items. Just as an FYI: if you get this opportunity, and your skills are low, give it a miss.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is there much to do after your daily actions have all been used? I enjoy the setting but it's like I can only spend 15 minutes a day interacting with it.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

I just paid for the two candles and had enough to get in the university through an opportunity card. Figured what the heck, might as well try it a month just to support them a bit.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
So these opportunity cards have been pretty disastrous for me, now I've got nightmares. What are my options for getting rid of them, especially when I have really low stats?

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So these opportunity cards have been pretty disastrous for me, now I've got nightmares. What are my options for getting rid of them, especially when I have really low stats?

You invite someone over to talk about your fears. Or you can buy a bottle of F.F. Gebrandt's Superior Laudanum, or buying a goldfish in the bazaar and equipping it will help.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Or when they get up to... 4, I think, you'll get a storylet about a mysterious man. One of the options in there gives you a chance to reduce nightmares.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Just signed in as the esteemed Timony Cutwell with cyberasylum, feel free to add me, I'll be adding randomers from here.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 25, 2011

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
so I got the ambition to find the marvelous and I can't move on till I find a friend with persuation or shadowy at 70. anyone help me out?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's not super bad if you go crazy, basically you can use cards and get "out" slowly or do the tasks and escape quicker but damage stats.

Also I think you're supposed to just focus on one type of nightmare; so only use to fire ones or whatever. Cause once you go crazy and then uncrazy all the dreams get dropped back to zero

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Do the dreams have item or stat benefits, or should I just do them to be entertained by the narrative?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I have 70ish persuade (actually working on raising it further these days too), so I guess I can try Museum of Mistakes raids if anyone needs them. Twitter name is my forums name without spaces.

I promise I won't keep the First City coins for myself. :colbert:

^^^some of the dreams have stat benefits, some open up new plotlines like Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name, others are just cool bits of narrative. I'm holding off on them for now because grinding Watchful means tons of nightmares means I go insane once a week and there's no point trying to progress dreams under those conditions.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Oh man you guys actually NEED the First City coins? Sorry, whoever it was that I took them from...

You don't have to worry about any of the menaces until they're about to hit 8. If you don't have any dream progress that you really want to keep, you can just safely reach 8, go into the State of Confusion and spend a couple of turns whittling it all the way back down to 0. The only downside is, as mentioned, you lose all your progress in all your dreams; but that too can be solved with Honeyed Laudumn from Mr Wines (another Opportunity card lets you buy it for 9 Fate).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thanthos posted:

You don't have to worry about any of the menaces until they're about to hit 8. If you don't have any dream progress that you really want to keep, you can just safely reach 8, go into the State of Confusion and spend a couple of turns whittling it all the way back down to 0. The only downside is, as mentioned, you lose all your progress in all your dreams; but that too can be solved with Honeyed Laudumn from Mr Wines (another Opportunity card lets you buy it for 9 Fate).

Ugh, I went insane a few days ago just to see what happened when you got Nightmares to 8. Bad idea. I had no less than 6 recurring dreams when I entered the State Of Some Confusion, and they all disappeared by the time I'd wasted a bunch of turns getting out.

Otherwise this game is amazing, I'm so addicted. Browser-based games always bored the crap out of me before, but Echo Bazaar is the first site I log into when I boot up the PC. Makes me sad I only get 40 turns though. :( I'd happily spend real money to get a subscriber's account or something, but paying money each month isn't something I'm willing to do, as addicted as I am.

e:
Does anyone know how to get a Starveling Cat? Even the wiki seems unsure.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

I've no idea how to get a Starveling Kat, but it's not along the usual paths for Persuasive/Shadowy or Dangerous/Watchful.

Dallan Invictus posted:

^^^some of the dreams have stat benefits, some open up new plotlines like Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name, others are just cool bits of narrative. I'm holding off on them for now because grinding Watchful means tons of nightmares means I go insane once a week and there's no point trying to progress dreams under those conditions.

I find that trying for Chancy/Modest difficulties give me the best risk-to-reward ratio. Anything higher means that, while I still get some progress for failing, I more often than not get more Menace than it's worth. Plus, at higher levels when you're working towards some sort of greater goal (Investigating, Running Battle etc) failing means you lose some progress in that goal too, which sucks.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

thanthos posted:

I've no idea how to get a Starveling Kat, but it's not along the usual paths for Persuasive/Shadowy or Dangerous/Watchful.

I find that trying for Chancy/Modest difficulties give me the best risk-to-reward ratio. Anything higher means that, while I still get some progress for failing, I more often than not get more Menace than it's worth. Plus, at higher levels when you're working towards some sort of greater goal (Investigating, Running Battle etc) failing means you lose some progress in that goal too, which sucks.

Perhaps playing a nice game of Pass The Cat will help us get that malevolent mouser. Just don't tell the Duchess.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Erasmus is always looking for friends in low places. (I'm having far more fun than I expected. It's incredibly fun to read.)

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Not So Fast posted:

Perhaps playing a nice game of Pass The Cat will help us get that malevolent mouser. Just don't tell the Duchess.

I'm great pals with the Duchess. :3:

Haven't been lucky so far, but welp, we'll see how the wheel turns. Thanks for the tip, have some honey on me. Tell the doorkeeper in front of the Singing Mandrake that the moon is round but not yet full.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

I have partaken of this silly game. It was not a cat in that box. :(

thanthos posted:

Tell the doorkeeper in front of the Singing Mandrake that the moon is round but not yet full.

What moon? *scoff* Perhaps your interests may be served with a less incongruous watchword.

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?

Dallan Invictus posted:

I have 70ish persuade (actually working on raising it further these days too), so I guess I can try Museum of Mistakes raids if anyone needs them. Twitter name is my forums name without spaces.

I promise I won't keep the First City coins for myself. :colbert:

Thanks, by the way! I've been stuck on three coins for the longest time.

I can help as well, if anyone else needs it. 79 + 7 Persuasive, and my twitter name is also my forum name without spaces.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Someone sent me a cat in the mail.

Where do I get one to return the favor?

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Someone sent me a cat in the mail.

Where do I get one to return the favor?

From an Opportunity card.

In other news, I just made it to Mahogany Hall and it is awesome. It's pretty much designed for my Persuasive/Shadowy character because, would you believe it, those are the two main stats you need for that area. I've been helping out both the Glass (as in looking glass; bunch of stage magicians) and the Shroud (bunch of mystic fakes who use magic tricks but insist that their mystic fakery is all real). It's doubly great because I'm also an amateur magician in my spare time and this sort of debate is exactly what's been going on in magic communities all the time: whether it's ethical for you to reveal your tricks as tricks, whether it's right for you to lay claim to powers that you do not actually possess etc.

Corridor posted:

What moon? *scoff* Perhaps your interests may be served with a less incongruous watchword.

Someone does not know the secrets of the dirigibles, it seems. Pity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

thanthos posted:

From an Opportunity card.

Aww, darn. I feel bad because the whole cat thing didn't work out well, I just got scratched to hell.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Yeah, I can help if anyone needs first city coins, too: @crashlaunching.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The Normandy posted:

I can help as well, if anyone else needs it. 79 + 7 Persuasive, and my twitter name is also my forum name without spaces.

By the way, anyone who's wondering if the option for getting First City coins that requires Connected: Masters of the Bazaar (by far the hardest Connected to raise) is worth it it really really is.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Hotwire posted:

Erasmus is always looking for friends in low places. (I'm having far more fun than I expected. It's incredibly fun to read.)

I passed you a cat.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

rev.justin posted:

I passed you a cat.

I think that cat got passed to me, and then I got scratched up like crazy. What the heck is wrong with you, sending a cat in the mail?

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317

The Normandy posted:

sent you a request from chadlicious

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I want to go Shadowy/Watchful, but the only Ambitions I've found yet are Shadowy/Persuasive and Watchful/Dangerous. Is there a Shadowy/Watchful ambition somewhere, and should I wait until I can start that?

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think that cat got passed to me, and then I got scratched up like crazy. What the heck is wrong with you, sending a cat in the mail?

I just wanted to be friends. :smith:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Actually, I sent one cat off before receiving Justin's cat.

True Story: It turned out to be a spider.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Erm...drat guess I have to pay more attention when sending those things out. If anyone needs help for first city coins or wants to send me cat boxes I am around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I actually spent a good chunk of my actions earlier today chasing cats hoping to get one to send back, I didn't want anyone to feel left out.

When can I get a better house? 2 opportunity cards isn't enough.