Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

Corridor posted:

Does anyone know how to get a Starveling Cat? Even the wiki seems unsure.

Open a boxed cat and you might get one.

I'm up for random sparring matches or whatever if anybody wants to add me: http://twitter.com/DJCrashOverride

...I'd especially like some sparring matches, actually, as it would help me find my nemesis :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I actually spent a good chunk of my actions earlier today chasing cats hoping to get one to send back, I didn't want anyone to feel left out.

When can I get a better house? 2 opportunity cards isn't enough.

I seem to be saying this a lot these days but... from an Opportunity card. Most of them cost a significant amount of Whispered Secrets, so make sure you have at least some of them handy. The Opportunities will only appear when you have at least 10 in a stat, but the better houses will require 30 or even 80 (and of course cost correspondingly more).

rev.justin posted:

I just wanted to be friends. :smith:

The Duchess disapproves.

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
Dallan, I somehow managed to fail at stealing coins for you, even though it was low-risk, so, um, sorry? I swear I shouldn't have failed at that.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Throwing my hat in for the people who need Museum of Mistakes thefts too. Hypnic Jerk, gentleman thief and conman at your service with 100+ Shadowy. I solemnly swear to return all I have stolen to you: honour amongst thieves and all that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Normandy posted:

Dallan, I somehow managed to fail at stealing coins for you, even though it was low-risk, so, um, sorry? I swear I shouldn't have failed at that.

Ha, I was struggling to find some way to post pretty much exactly the same thing about my theft for you.

You should have seen my face when that result came up last night.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Actually got the Starveling Cat in a box the other night! Took 5 or six boxes, though (ouch).
Although it enhances/degrades stats like the other companions to my very great dismay it could not be equipped and sits in my inventory.

I've also hit the point where I need the First City coins. If anyone would like to help I'm La_Poodle on twitter.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

catfrog posted:

Actually got the Starveling Cat in a box the other night! Took 5 or six boxes, though (ouch).
Although it enhances/degrades stats like the other companions to my very great dismay it could not be equipped and sits in my inventory.

I've also hit the point where I need the First City coins. If anyone would like to help I'm La_Poodle on twitter.

Out of curiosity, where exactly do you guys use the First City coins?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It's for one step of the "Heart's Desire" character ambition (one of many). You need a lot of them, and while there are five or six ways to get them, only two are remotely time/resource efficient and only one of those is realistically repeatable - and that one requires another player.

Dash clever of them, really!

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's for one step of the "Heart's Desire" character ambition (one of many). You need a lot of them, and while there are five or six ways to get them, only two are remotely time/resource efficient and only one of those is realistically repeatable - and that one requires another player.

Dash clever of them, really!

Huh, that's interesting. I just reached the end of my "Light Fingers" ambition and only once ever required outside assistance in the form of Hard-Earned Lessons or some such (twelve of them, ugh). Unfortunately they haven't finished the end of Light Fingers yet, so I'm kinda stuck in limbo right now collecting weird pieces of (collectible) junk.

Also, if you ever have a Memory of Light (gotten from Dream of Mirrors) in your inventory, when you go insane you get transported to a completely different place called the Mirror Marches. While there, do not smell the flowers or touch the mirrors: they just gently caress you up more.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

catfrog posted:

I've been through like 10 boxes. :( Do you have to be given the box, or can you just open to 'release' kitty?

e: Can I confess nightmares to someone? They're getting high and I don't wanna go back to that State Of Some Confusion shithole again.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Corridor posted:

e: Can I confess nightmares to someone? They're getting high and I don't wanna go back to that State Of Some Confusion shithole again.

It gives the other person Nightmares when you do that, though.

If you don't have any Dreams that you really want to keep progress in, it honestly doesn't hurt to go to the State of Some Confusion (which the Royal Bethlehem Hotel, actually) where every single action spent will lower your Nightmares. I recommend not using Opportunity cards there because the net loss of Nightmares from having met the manager and saying you want to leave isn't worth the number of actions you spent building up Meeting the Manager anyway.

If Persuasiveness is a dump stat, do the fountain; if Watchfulness is a dump stat, do the other one. If both aren't dump stats, do Opportunity cards until you lower your chances of success at either to be nearly impossible, and then do either one.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

thanthos posted:

I think if two people confess nightmares to each other, both wind up losing Nightmares overall. That is, I think the loss from being Confessor outweighs the gain from Confessee.

OTOH, I don't actually have any proof of this assertion. It's just the impression I acquired somewhere and could be wrong.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Alaemon posted:

I think if two people confess nightmares to each other, both wind up losing Nightmares overall. That is, I think the loss from being Confessor outweighs the gain from Confessee.

OTOH, I don't actually have any proof of this assertion. It's just the impression I acquired somewhere and could be wrong.

You're right, but don't forget that it takes 1 action on the part of _both_ players to just reduce one player's Nightmares. For a total net loss of Nightmares this would require 2 actions on both player's parts, which according to my guesstimation would give you about as much as you would lose per action in the State of Some Confusion. So rather than worrying about how high your Nightmares are going to climb, just go insane and then lose it all in one binge.

Also, remember that you always have the option of throwing actions at the gentleman on the street that's unlocked with Nightmares 4.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
What amount of Nightmares does the laudanum remove?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thanthos posted:

That's why I'm asking if I can confess nightmares, instead of just randomly picking people on my list.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Alaemon posted:

What amount of Nightmares does the laudanum remove?

About three ticks worth, and it gives you a tick of wounds.

(Ticks translate to levels in linearly increasing steps; your first tick takes you to level 1, two more take you to level 2, three more (six total) to level 3, etc.)

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Corridor posted:

That's why I'm asking if I can confess nightmares, instead of just randomly picking people on my list.

I accept any and all invitations sent my way (largely because I hope for reciprocity).

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
I decided to spare people the jibber jabber of my regular Twitter, so my EBZ is now linked to cosettemoreau.

I'm pretty much happy to help with anything I can.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

I got around to connecting my twitter (which I never use anyway) seeing as none of my facebook friends play, so add http://twitter.com/Dan9410 if you feel like it.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Corridor posted:

I've been through like 10 boxes. :( Do you have to be given the box, or can you just open to 'release' kitty?

It has to be passed to you. If you draw the boxed cat opportunity card there is an option to release it but you don't get to keep what comes out. You do make the duchess happy though.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Recently started, Nightmares becoming troublesome. Twitter account is TheXXIstCentury. I'll follow you if you follow me.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just got a rat problem in my house, the descriptions for this little storylet are wonderful:
A bad case of rattus faber
You have rats: and some of the ratholes have been dynamited open, not gnawed...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

There is a plant growing in my floorboards. My neighbour told me to feed it blood. I did not do so, yet. If I move house will I lose it?

Also I have a Scowling Idol sitting on my dresser. All the good options require ridiculous stats. I'm working up my Persuasive so I can invite an audience over to watch me feed it my own blood. Lots of things in my house want my blood.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, I am loving the Troubled by Vermin storyline. I should be grinding up my watchful, but I've become addicted to battling the little beasts. If you manage to exterminate a Hoarding Rat the rewards can be very nice.

Corridor, I'm not sure. I moved from my townhouse to the cottage by the observatory for a few days. I'm back and am still drawing the plant cards, so I didn't lose it, but I can't tell you if it traveled with me to the cottage.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a little blood idol too, we should gather them all together and have a blood party.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The rat infestation is hilarious, especially since it notes the little buggers are smart enough to follow you to a new domicile.

I burnt out about the time they reduced daily actions for not-quite-so-tasty friends, having grown bored of the late-game repeatables and throwing my hands up at the effort of unlocking the new late-game area.

Dthulhu
Jan 7, 2004

'til death do us party, right here on Crystal Lake
:black101::gooncamp:
So this game is pretty weird, but I'm having fun. I'm Dthulhu on twitter and I'm just kind of dicking around after getting out of jail. Fun though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thanthos posted:

For example, my Dangerous/Watchful Ambition is to hunt down the Vake, a legendary monster that haunts Fallen London... though some people say that it's just a man who puts on a costume to flutter through the night.

A man who prowls the city by night dressed as a bat? That is just stupid. :colbert:

Bearing in mind that new poo poo is being added constantly... is there anything at all that's utterly useless in terms of quests that I can sell off? I've been keeping everything but have no moneys. :( I sold off all my Appalling Secrets and some Fourth City Relics to get new lodgings but it was a painful wrench.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

quote:

The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!

They put it in a box! And it hated that! The Starveling Cat bursts out of the box in an avalanche of shredded brown paper. It leaps at your face, fangs bared. You fight it off frantically, sustaining a series of savage cuts. It drops to the floor and snarls like a tiger. Then it climbs your armoire, claws gouging the varnish, and glares at you. It doesn't move until midnight, when it steals into your pantry and wolfs down an entire joint of beef.

Thank you Justin Tremont :buddy:
e: Or possibly "Thanks a LOT Justin Tremont :argh:"

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 17, 2011

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Corridor posted:

There is a plant growing in my floorboards. My neighbour told me to feed it blood. I did not do so, yet. If I move house will I lose it?

Bearing in mind that new poo poo is being added constantly... is there anything at all that's utterly useless in terms of quests that I can sell off? I've been keeping everything but have no moneys. I sold off all my Appalling Secrets and some Fourth City Relics to get new lodgings but it was a painful wrench.

No, you won't.

What do you currently have the most of? Appalling Secrets can be used if you have Watchfulness 40+ to reduce Nightmares (though it's a bit chancy), so it's not completely useless, really. Fourth City Relics are kinda crap, so they're pretty much safe to always sell off if you've been grinding Watchfulness in the Forgotten Quarter.

Also:

quote:

The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!

They put it in a box! And it hated that! The Starveling Cat bursts out of the box in an avalanche of shredded brown paper. It leaps at your face, fangs bared. You fight it off frantically, sustaining a series of savage cuts. It drops to the floor and snarls like a tiger. Then it climbs your armoire, claws gouging the varnish, and glares at you. It doesn't move until midnight, when it steals into your pantry and wolfs down an entire joint of beef.

I hate you. :saddowns:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thanthos posted:

Fourth City Relics are kinda crap, so they're pretty much safe to always sell off if you've been grinding Watchfulness in the Forgotten Quarter.

Good to know, thanks.

quote:

I hate you. :saddowns:

Well it raised my wounds to 2, and I am now Unaccountably Peckish since it ate my dinner. It also "follows you about and tells wicked lies!" so it's Persuasive -3. But still. Starveling Cat.

I just noticed it's a usable item. What will happen if I click it I am afraid to try :ohdear:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I remember when I had rats in my apartment there was an option to unleash the Starveling Cat on them. Too bad I didn't have it...

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 17, 2011

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Corridor posted:

Unaccountably Peckish since it ate my dinner

This is a good thing, as it opens up new story options for you. Just don't try to use the Opportunity card it opens up when you're dead: it makes you wish you were more dead than you already are.

Wachepti posted:

I remember when I had rats in my apartment there was an option to unleash the Starveling Cat on them. Too bad I didn't have it...

It can be used in many other places, like for instance when you're trying to work with the cats in the Flit. It's something I've been trying to get - to no avail and at the cost of hurting my connections with the Duchess - for a very very long time now.

thanthos fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 17, 2011

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thanthos posted:

This is a good thing, as it opens up new story options for you. Just don't try to use the Opportunity card it opens up when you're dead: it makes you wish you were more dead than you already are.
Why, what happens? I don't plan on ever getting deaded, but if it happens then curiosity might get the better of me... :ohdear:

quote:

It's something I've been trying to get - to no avail and at the cost of hurting my connections with the Duchess - for a very very long time now.

I've been trying for about a week, just cos I liked the sound of having that horrorbeast in all the little poems. I'll send you any boxed kitties I find. Which account is yours? I probably have you already but there are so many on here...

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Corridor posted:

Why, what happens? I don't plan on ever getting deaded, but if it happens then curiosity might get the better of me... :ohdear:

It literally makes you deader: by increasing your Wounds further. Just like going insane, being exiled to the Tomb Colonies or being sent back to Newgate Prison, when you're dead you need to reduce the relevant Menace to 0; and when you're Unaccountably Peckish, well... death is preferable to that ceaseless, gnawing hunger.

quote:

I've been trying for about a week, just cos I liked the sound of having that horrorbeast in all the little poems. I'll send you any boxed kitties I find. Which account is yours? I probably have you already but there are so many on here...

That would be awesome. Please direct all boxed kittens to Hypnic_Jerk.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Wachepti posted:

Maybe not. I took the option, it leapt off the wardrobe and I lost it forever :smith:

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
Maybe someone here can help me. I've been hoarding three opportunity cards for a while, because they seem like good stuff, but they're still all three at "Impossible" difficulty. The three are: "The Ways of the Forgotten Quarter" (unlocked at Watchful 40); "Undertakings" (unlocked at Watchful 45); and "An Interview with Mr. Pages" (Watchful 45 as well). My Watchful is at 53+2.

My question is: is it worth holding onto them and continuing to grind Watchful until they're doable? Or am I losing out by having my opportunity hand full with stuff I'll see again and won't be able to do soon?

Relatedly, what's up with the huge gulf between the level at which things unlock, and the level at which you can actually achieve them? Seems kinda dumb.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

If you can't do it now, I would discard them, as they'll come up again with time. The "Interview With Mr. Pages" one may be worth keeping as that opens up a chain that gets you certain rare connections - the other two are ordinary watchful challenges.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?

Corridor posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thank you Justin Tremont :buddy:
e: Or possibly "Thanks a LOT Justin Tremont :argh:"

You're welcome! I want a starveling cat too, instead I just keep getting horrific insects chewing me up. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I misunderstood opportunity cards at first. I thought there was a deck of cards that received additions as you increased your stats. From that deck you could draw cards and either play them or discard them, either way they'd be gone forever. To reload your deck and get those lost cards, you had to pay fate.

Turns out that's totally wrong: I get repeat cards quite often. Delete the cruddy opportunities to get new good ones!