Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

catfrog posted:

Maybe not. I took the option, it leapt off the wardrobe and I lost it forever :smith:

Oh that sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think they updated the profile pages, they're very cool now!

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

John Pastor posted:

Maybe someone here can help me. I've been hoarding three opportunity cards for a while, because they seem like good stuff, but they're still all three at "Impossible" difficulty. The three are: "The Ways of the Forgotten Quarter" (unlocked at Watchful 40); "Undertakings" (unlocked at Watchful 45); and "An Interview with Mr. Pages" (Watchful 45 as well). My Watchful is at 53+2.

My question is: is it worth holding onto them and continuing to grind Watchful until they're doable? Or am I losing out by having my opportunity hand full with stuff I'll see again and won't be able to do soon?

Relatedly, what's up with the huge gulf between the level at which things unlock, and the level at which you can actually achieve them? Seems kinda dumb.

If you've already unlocked the Forgotten Quarter, Ways of the Forgotten Quarter simply lets you get your hands on some First/Second City (can't remember which) relics. Undertakings gives you a small quantity of jade or souls: something like that. And Mr Pages, as Not So Fast mentioned, opens up a chain of storylets which eventually lets you raise your Connected: Masters of the Bazaar: one of the hardest connections to raise.

As a rule of thumb, though, it's not worthwhile keeping a card in hand unless you know that you can use it immediately or if you were waiting for another Opportunity. As an example: if you had a card that keyed off "Dream of death by water 1", you should keep the card until you draw the card that gives you that dream.

In short, just toss them, you'll get them back eventually. :)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think they updated the profile pages, they're very cool now!

Yeap, it's pretty nifty. But even better, they're planning to add even more stuff!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

http://twitter.com/!/WhitenoiseTwitt

Putting my account out there for anyone who wants to tell me their nightmares/play chess/send me Starveling Cats.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

rev.justin posted:

You're welcome! I want a starveling cat too, instead I just keep getting horrific insects chewing me up. :saddowns:

Spiders are not insects :colbert:

I get catboxes a lot so I'll alternate between you and the other guy I promised to.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

John Pastor posted:

Relatedly, what's up with the huge gulf between the level at which things unlock, and the level at which you can actually achieve them? Seems kinda dumb.

I think it's to give you something to look forward to, like when you have to cut through a higher-level zone in an MMO and see things that con purple monkey tombstone to you. It's not so bad at low levels, but can be damned frustrating when you're looking at 40-50 turns to raise the appropriate stat a point, and you've already done everything available to death.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Despite my hatred for Twitter thought I'd join up. Looks interesting.

Name is Red_Mundus over there.

Also, I have no idea what the hell I am doing. :psyduck:

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?

Corridor posted:

Spiders are not insects :colbert:

I get catboxes a lot so I'll alternate between you and the other guy I promised to.

Right on, I will send them whenever I get the chance! Last one you sent was another spider. Must not have liked the insect remark because it really upped my wounds this time. :argh:

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Bieeardo posted:

I think it's to give you something to look forward to, like when you have to cut through a higher-level zone in an MMO and see things that con purple monkey tombstone to you. It's not so bad at low levels, but can be damned frustrating when you're looking at 40-50 turns to raise the appropriate stat a point, and you've already done everything available to death.

This is when items that lower your stats become useful. Always try to get at least a Modest chance of success: anything lower than that (Low-risk, Straightforward) will give you only 1-2 change points, and when you need 50 change points to reach the next rank, it can be very frustrating. A Ridiculous Hat gives you -10 to everything, while a Talkative Rattus Faber gives you -5 to everything. Put them on in various combinations and try to find the Modest/Chancy sweet spot.

Red Mundus posted:

Also, I have no idea what the hell I am doing. :psyduck:

Explore! Find two stats that you want to raise and then keep raising them, quite possibly to the exclusion of everything else. Once you've about 10 in the two stats, it's time to start looking for the Ambition that's keyed to those two stats. For instance, Persuasive/Shadowy sends you on a long quest to find a missing singer, while Watchfulness/Dangerous sends you hunting for the Vake. Every possible pairing has an Ambition, so if you can't find it go look around other parts of town.

thanthos fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 18, 2011

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

thanthos posted:

Explore! Find two stats that you want to raise and then keep raising them, quite possibly to the exclusion of everything else. Once you've about 10 in the two stats, it's time to start looking for the Ambition that's keyed to those two stats. For instance, Persuasive/Shadowy sends you on a long quest to find a missing singer, while Watchfulness/Dangerous sends you hunting for the Vake. Every possible pairing has an Ambition, so if you can't find it go look around other parts of town.

Thanks! Getting the hang of it now. I love how action points replenish over time as opposed to having to wait 24 hours. Nice change of pace.

So far I have high watchfulness and persuasion. Also a friendly spider dropped an eyeball on my doorstep. :v:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Uhhh. what happens at Nightmare 8? Because I'm like a millimeter away from getting nightmare 8.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
You get to take a trip to insanity land until nightmares reaches 0. Also don't do what I did and while there keep wearing something that gives you nightmares. I wasted a bunch of turns on that like an idiot with my nightmares never going to zero. :sigh:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Posting my Twitter so people can backstab me, give me nightmares, etc.

http://twitter.com/!/elswyyr

Dthulhu
Jan 7, 2004

'til death do us party, right here on Crystal Lake
:black101::gooncamp:
So I've started to really get into this game after my first confusing day. I'm going Dangerous/Watchful. I keep getting new dream paths instead of advancing the one I had up to three, which is annoying! I'm having fun just doing opportunities and then spending a few turns on storylets for stats.

The writing is really great too, I'm enjoying this and may consider throwing some money at them just to support them.

http://twitter.com/!/Dthulhu

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
How do I get Confident Smiles apart from inviting everyone in this thread to a talk?

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

A few of the opportunity cards will give them to you as a reward, also certain storylets in the Veilgarden.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is there any way I can select not to use them when I fail a Persuasive check? I need 4 of them for my ambition, and I'll probably lose more than I'll get them.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Man, I stopped playing for a while & they've made a whole bunch of advancements. Awesome.

@shigogouhou 53 Dangerous, 79 Watchful, 80 Persuasive & 53 Shadowy if that's of any use to anyone needing mission help or what have you. What happened to Knife & Candle, anyway?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

oldskool posted:

Man, I stopped playing for a while & they've made a whole bunch of advancements. Awesome.

@shigogouhou 53 Dangerous, 79 Watchful, 80 Persuasive & 53 Shadowy if that's of any use to anyone needing mission help or what have you. What happened to Knife & Candle, anyway?

Apparantly the current "season" ended a couple of months ago, which is a shame as i never got enough of a rank for some certain lodgings.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Elswyyr posted:

Is there any way I can select not to use them when I fail a Persuasive check? I need 4 of them for my ambition, and I'll probably lose more than I'll get them.

You can't. If you need them for your Ambition, simply don't grind anything that requires Persuasive; or if you must, make sure it's Straightforward before starting to grind it.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Ok so: The Labyrinth of Tigers. I'm at dangerous 90 and I haven't gotten any event to open up that path for me, or any reason to go there. I've bought a day pass a few times but there aren't any challenges for my dangerous quality, only random chances to succeed at what seem like challenges for any level. How do I begin the Labyrinth of Tigers event line?

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 19, 2011

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Uhhh. what happens at Nightmare 8? Because I'm like a millimeter away from getting nightmare 8.

The game makes you waste a ton of turns and you lose all your recurring dreams.

Writing's pretty entertaining. Wasn't worth it for me though. :( I had 6 recurring dreams and then had none.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Working with dreams can be a real pain at first, because you either need regularly playing friends who will play psychoanalyst, or enough income from other pursuits to keep a stock of laudanum (and possibly tinctures of vigor to keep the resulting wounds down). I really didn't have any success with them long-term, until I had around 30 in a stat and could afford to sell things from time to time.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I just ignore the cheerful guy once or twice when he shows up.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Corridor posted:

I just ignore the cheerful guy once or twice when he shows up.

This is generally your best bet.

With regards to dreams, I would recommend that you don't try collect all of them because that would make your Nightmares spiral out of control very quickly. Pick and choose the dreams you want to further and discard the rest of them when you draw into them.

Another alternative to consumables and the Cheerful Man is furthering your Dreams of Mirrors to the point that you get a Memory of Light. With one in your inventory, the next time you go insane you'll get thrown to the Mirror Marches instead of a State of Some Confusion. It's similar, except that when you're done with the Mirror Marches you're expelled with just a few wounds, less one Memory of Light and no loss of dreams.

EDIT: Yes! Got a Starveling Kat. My thanks to the people who've been sending me boxed kittens!

thanthos fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 19, 2011

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Wachepti posted:

Ok so: The Labyrinth of Tigers. I'm at dangerous 90 and I haven't gotten any event to open up that path for me, or any reason to go there. I've bought a day pass a few times but there aren't any challenges for my dangerous quality, only random chances to succeed at what seem like challenges for any level. How do I begin the Labyrinth of Tigers event line?

If I recall correctly, the Labyrinth's storylets start opening up at around Dangerous 97+, starting out briefly in the Docks.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Oh ok thanks. I assumed it started much earlier.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm doing the Long-Lost Daughter storylet, and I need to get into the docks. Is there an easier way to get there than to pay the huge amount of glim and currency?

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Elswyyr posted:

I'm doing the Long-Lost Daughter storylet, and I need to get into the docks. Is there an easier way to get there than to pay the huge amount of glim and currency?

If you have Dangerous 60+, you can wait for the Opportunity card to come up and pay some Fate. Otherwise, no.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
So where am I supposed to get 500 Foxfire candle stubs, short of grinding out 15 Echoes?

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Destrado posted:

So where am I supposed to get 500 Foxfire candle stubs, short of grinding out 15 Echoes?

I have about 900 and I don't even remember where I got them from: and that's after spending about 400 in the Labyrinth. What are your stats and what do you need the candle stubs for?

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

thanthos posted:

I have about 900 and I don't even remember where I got them from: and that's after spending about 400 in the Labyrinth. What are your stats and what do you need the candle stubs for?

I coughed up five hundred candle stubs to advance along the Heart's Desire ambition. Specifically, one of the players, a Bishop or Vicar or something, asks for them.

I just ended up buying the things. Later along in almost any skill path you'll start piling stuff into the thousands that you only use in the hundreds. Selling a thousand of almost anything is a good way to stack some paper.

Dthulhu
Jan 7, 2004

'til death do us party, right here on Crystal Lake
:black101::gooncamp:
Anyone looking for Starvelings still? I have a cat in a box I don't know what to do with. BTW, Mundus the one you sent me was actually beneficial, thanks!

I'm getting close to nightmare territory which is annoying but oh well. I'm still early. I did get an opportunity specifically for having Ruthless and Magnanimous. Even had a complicated choice (which I picked of course). By chance, can you ever start over some quests like "Surface Ties" by any means, or are those one time things?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Send me the cat.

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
I swear I used to get a lot more Cat in a Box cards before I actually started looking for them for people.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Dthulhu posted:

By chance, can you ever start over some quests like "Surface Ties" by any means, or are those one time things?

It's a one time thing, but later on you'll get an Opportunity to do the whole quest line again from scratch (using Fate), I believe. Or I may be mixing it up with the mysterious mentor quest line. Either way, I'm sure there's an Opportunity that keys off being "Free of Surface Ties", but there's no normal way of redoing it from the start.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

John Pastor posted:

I coughed up five hundred candle stubs to advance along the Heart's Desire ambition. Specifically, one of the players, a Bishop or Vicar or something, asks for them.

Likewise, that's what I'm up against. I've got about 45 Watchful and 40 Persuasive, but I guess if there's no-where obvious to farm them I'll just bite the bullet and save up to buy them.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Destrado posted:

Likewise, that's what I'm up against. I've got about 45 Watchful and 40 Persuasive, but I guess if there's no-where obvious to farm them I'll just bite the bullet and save up to buy them.

There's one storylet, outside of cards, for the Candles - in Veilgarden, when you're investigating the Curate & his sister.

I ended up levelling myself out of it just before I hit that part of the Ambition though, and just bought them.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Dthulhu posted:

Anyone looking for Starvelings still? I have a cat in a box I don't know what to do with. BTW, Mundus the one you sent me was actually beneficial, thanks!

I'm getting close to nightmare territory which is annoying but oh well. I'm still early. I did get an opportunity specifically for having Ruthless and Magnanimous. Even had a complicated choice (which I picked of course). By chance, can you ever start over some quests like "Surface Ties" by any means, or are those one time things?

No problem! I think I ended up severing my ties with the snob community (Can't remember thier name.) But it's okay because I accidentally flirted with a devil and now me and hell are buddy-buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Not So Fast posted:

There's one storylet, outside of cards, for the Candles - in Veilgarden, when you're investigating the Curate & his sister.

That was the one I was trying to remember!

(that said, if Destrado wants to level themselves back into it and isn't too far ahead, there's always Ridiculous Hats and Talkative Rattus Faber)