Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

The joke is that the air war was completely irrelevant. You're right that without air superiority it would've been more difficult to say the least.

Wouldn't airpower have been able to severely impede Soviet supply lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Wait, aren't Apaches ridiculously good at blowing up tanks with hellfires though? Or was that just Iraqi incompetence?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
:siren: PLAYBOY BUNNY SEXUAL HARASSMENT CMSAF :siren: oh wait it's a navy plane okay

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

gfanikf posted:

Australia too is considered a turn key nuclear power.

I thought Australia was super anti-nuclear (including nuclear power).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

iyaayas01 posted:

It's NZ, in the '80s they refused to let US warships make port calls unless they declared themselves to be nuclear free. Since stated US govt policy is not to confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weapons on any US warship, the practical result of this was to eliminate US vessels from being allowed to visit New Zealand, something that put a serious strain on US-NZ relations as well as the ANZUS Alliance, to the point of the US suspending its treaty obligations to NZ. Relations have improved since, although up until last year NZ naval vessels were still prohibited from docking or visiting US military facilities.

But politics has zero impact on being a "turn key" nuclear power. It is simply talking about having the technical ability and infrastructure to rapidly produce a nuclear weapon, given the political go ahead. This is why a country like Japan that is still at least publicly extremely anti-nuclear can be referred to as a turn key power.

e: Although as the others pointed out there are varying degrees of readiness, depending on whether we are just talking about having the technical ability, or the infrastructure, or ready access to the required raw materials.

Well, how would they know if there were nuclear weapons on board...

Also we would only possibly have nukes on the carriers, right? None of the other vessels have delivery systems for them except for super kamikaze action.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I very highly doubt that North Vietnam would have kept its word with any peace agreement.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It doesn't help that Kennedy was on an astonishing cocktail of drugs through his entire presidency. Actually all in all he wasn't very good at the job.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah but since the only viable historical alternative is Dick Nixon, you pretty much have to measure JFK against the alternative. I mean I think Nixon has been overly demonized in contemporary politicalc discourse (not without reason, of course!) but holy poo poo I wouldn't want him in charge during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Kennedy doesn't deserve as much credit for that as he gets. And at least Nixon wouldn't do something like the Bay of Pigs invasion and then pull the air support for it after it's started because he got cold feet.

I'm not going to defend Nixon (obviously) and I don't really think he'd be better as a president than Kennedy but comparing Kennedy to other presidents, before and after...he doesn't stack up.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think the F-22 has flattened engine nozzles for that reason; more area for the hot jet exhaust to mix with cool air, reducing IR.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Flight Sim X was fun when you could get over the astonishingly horrible performance, which if I recall correctly was still bad on my high end computer four or five years after it came out.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Mike-o posted:

It still runs like poo poo, even after going through all the spells and incantations and third party software to eke out a bit better performance.

Yeah a year and a half ago or something I reinstalled it thinking "huh, maybe it will actually run okay now that I have a brand spanking new top of the line computer and it's relatively ancient" but nope.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
As I understand when our tanks get disabled we're careful to always either recover them or blow the hulks to smithereens.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I don't think that destroying valuable property could, would, or did improve the economy anywhere. The Germans could force people to go work in factories if they needed.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Super Hornet was the replacement for the poo poo stew that was the A-12 so it counts in my book. The government is still in litigation over that mess.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Koesj posted:

why the Su-47 was built I'll never quite understand

Because it looks ridiculously cool?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Could the super bug mount conformal fuel tanks in the future to solve that issue a la the mudhen? Or would that make it too heavy to launch with enough weapons?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
To add, why is he so obsessed with the M113?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
RAND corporation does studies on the military I think?

The problems with the military seem to be endemic to the government in general, based on my experience at the Fed. In my department most of the work wound up getting done by contractors since at least half of my coworkers didn't know how to do poo poo even if they could be bothered. Just cruisin' to retirement. The main difference being there wasn't much in the way of excruciatingly awful stuff that makes people just want to leave any way they can, just the enticement of higher salaries (but lower benefits) in the private sector for the competent folks.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Wikipedia's higher math articles are surprisingly good all things considered.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The amount of poo poo thrown up by nuclear weapons just isn't comparable to the cubic miles of crap that volcanoes spew out. Yes, sulfur dioxide in the stratosphere will cool the planet. No, nukes aren't going to send enough up to plunge us into neverending winter. Multiple massive volcanic eruptions might.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
They were trying to shoot down a drone moving slowly in a circle with air to air rockets and couldn't hit it. They did manage to hit a few houses and a station wagon.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

Presumably the best way to knock down an errant F6F drone is the old technique against V-1s, get your wingtip under its wingtip and pull up and flip it over till it crashes.

Also sub-launched Harpoons suck, old-rear end American torps were probably a better kill solution for whatever fantasy foe an ancient diesel-electric Canadian submarine would ever go up against

Why is this? Is it because they fail to lock on after launching or something?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

iyaayas01 posted:

I would make a LCS joke here about small unarmored ships being seen by the Navy as a good/effective way to increase ship numbers on the cheap as long as they were fast, except the Pegasuses actually packed a punch, unlike the Little Crappy Ship.

You'd think they could at least park one of those Harpoon truck trailers on the landing pad or something, that would be an improvement.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I mean I'm only partly joking about chocking the wheels of this thing in the back:

If you need to aim it in another direction just do a 3 point turn.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

Why bother? What does hauling around your own helo provide, other than a maintenance nightmare and the need for a full time pilot killing time below decks? Anyplace someone like that needs a helicopter he can charter one, be it to fly out and pick him up off his boat or to fly him out to his boat.

It's not like that yacht isn't already a huge white elephant maintenance nightmare.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've always wondered what the life span of those mega-yachts are. I mean, are they the sort of thing that gets gently used (at least on boat scales - they're note exactly running 24/7/365 for years on end like a USN ship or a container vessel) and passed around among the super-filthy-wealthy, or do they just sort of make a statement by spending the GDP of Portugal on a toy, get bored with it, and it ends up scrapped or at the breakers in five years.

Do these things go out of style? Does the Hojillionare look at his giant loving floating doom cock one day and decide he needs a new one because THIS one is just sooooooooo 2013 and passe as gently caress? Does he want to see some other dude floating around in his old ride? Does he scrap it or sell it to someone who's merely a bazillionare and willing to buy used?

Is there a bottom end used mega-yacht market for the poor, penniless millionare? Some kind of ghetto fab floating hooptie with computers and guidance from the early 90s and fixtures that are just brass, rather than solid loving gold? Do you get a used yacht recarpeted, or does having a stateroom that still carries battle scars from an orgy featuring Reza Pahlavi and a dozen Playboy bunnies give you a certain amount of rich guy street cred?

I dunno man, I think they probably keep them until a secret agent sneaks on board and blows it up either while gathering intelligence on secret superweapon plans or to stop the owner from using it to start a war between two major powers.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've always wondered what the life span of those mega-yachts are. I mean, are they the sort of thing that gets gently used (at least on boat scales - they're note exactly running 24/7/365 for years on end like a USN ship or a container vessel) and passed around among the super-filthy-wealthy, or do they just sort of make a statement by spending the GDP of Portugal on a toy, get bored with it, and it ends up scrapped or at the breakers in five years.

Coming back to this again, apparently the dude who bought this is named Al-Waleed bin Talal and already owns a 281 ft. yacht called the Kingdom 5KR.

http://www.superyachts.com/motor-yacht-2967/index.htm

quote:

Kingdom 5KR is a 86m (282'1"ft) motor yacht, custom built in 1980 by Benetti. The yacht's interior has been designed by LUIGI STURCHIO and has exterior styling by Jon Bannenberg. She was last refitted in 1993.

His old one then is 33 years old, no mention of whether it was built for him. According to Wikipedia, however, it was first sold to Saudi billionaire Adnan Khashoggi and featured in the James Bond film Never Say Never Again. Clearly my secret agent hypothesis has some truth to it, although that was in 1983 and it wasn't sold until 1989, when Khashoggi hit some hard times financially...well, as hard as they get for a loving Saudi billionaire anyway.

So bin Talal did buy used at first, but I guess he decided '80s chic wasn't in anymore.

e: Apparently Donald Trump at one point owned the yacht too, but bin Talal bought it after Trump went bankrupt.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 21, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What do pilots for private aircraft do when the owner isn't traveling anyway? Does the owner hire a pilot for like, a weekend or something?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Suddenly that sounds like a really sweet gig.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Snowdens Secret, what is it exactly about MAD that is causing it to get phased out? Does it only work when the sub is above a certain depth? And are sonobuoys/dipping sonars just not that effective?

Sorry if this is OPSEC.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I've been under the impression that the Gripen is actually kinda garbage, with crappy avionics, poor capacity for weapons, and short range/low endurance.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

FrozenVent posted:

Dude, did you even watch the video?

Uh, no, actually.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

hepatizon posted:

Since when does cost not count as important? 3-4 Gripens for the cost of one F-35 sounds like a drat good deal.

It would seem the Gripen NG is pretty expensive actually.

http://www.cdainstitute.ca/en/blog/entry/replacing-the-cf18-part-ii-the-gripen-ng

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

Swedish government's fixed cost is $105M apiece and operations costs around $21,000 per hour?

Every "cheap" alternative out there seems to be trying to get into F-22 territory cost-wise.

It's almost like we should just buy F-22s...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
RNZAF is the only air force in the world with a flightless bird for a logo, and it's quite fitting actually considering that it has no fighters anymore.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Doubtful, there may have been more communist governments there then, in no small part thanks to Cuba.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Alaan posted:

You ARE aware of the type of people the US installed/tried to install in South America, right?

Of course, and I'm aware of the ones the Soviets/their allies tried to set up too.

What is it with soviet aircraft and that disgusting teal color? I feel like I've seen that on a lot of their planes too.

Awesome pictures though, goddamn I want to sit in a Hind cockpit.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Also, he's 6'1" which is probably pretty big for Soviet air assault troops.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

Counterpoint: F-102/106, F-111

F-117

It baffles me why that or the aardvark was given a fighter designation. Were either of them wired up for any air to air weapons at all?

mlmp08 posted:

I'm 5'11" and not fat and could literally not fit in various Russian tanks/APCs I played around with and still close the hatch, wearing no gear at all.

5'6" supremacy :smug:

literally the only thing where that is really an advantage...well, that and dodgeball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought the F-117's designator was intended as another throwoff, part of keeping it secret, so that if anyone came on the name they'd be looking in the wrong places for what it was. Everything else F-112+ is some variant of missile.

I thought that was the skipped F-19 designation when the Tigershark was built? It fooled Tom Clancy, heh.