Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

A minor proxy war between NATO and Russia is highly unlikely but would be an incredible sight to behold. Obviously not something I'd like to see happen as death is Not Good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Vindolanda posted:

Fighting Russia over Sevastopol around Balaclava? I know just what weight of brigade to use for that.

All while plugged into the mains to restore their batteries, no doubt

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

I'd like to see a diagram of that.

Ask and ye shall receive!
http://aviationtrivia.blogspot.hk/2011/09/fighter-that-shot-itself-down.html

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

this one:
http://www.aerofiles.com/tiger-tail.html
has a picture of the shell that was found in the engine

e: also

http://aviationtrivia.blogspot.hk/2011/09/fighter-that-shot-itself-down.html posted:

Subsequent examination of the aircraft showed that Attridge had flown the same test profile earlier that day and what was thought to be large ding from an ejected casing on the vertical fin actually turned out to be a projectile hit- apparently Attridge had grazed himself on the first test flight of the day and gotten away with not shooting himself down!

And what happened to Attridge?

http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/05/25/the-plane-that-shot-itself-down/ posted:

At this point three of the rounds that he had fired at the higher altitude, which had been slowed by air resistance and which had curved towards the Earth under the effect of gravity, struck the aeroplane’s windshield, nose cone and one of the engine intakes. With reduced engine power available Attridge was unable to return to Grumman’s Long Island airfield and when the engine finally died he was forced to crash land, 800 metres short of the runway.

Despite the unused fuel catching fire, and unfired ammunition from the other cannons “cooking off“, Attridge survived with only a broken leg and three damaged vertebrae; had the cannons been armed with explosive rounds, as would normally be the case, it is unlikely that he would have survived. Attridge later went on to become the project manager for LM-3, the first Apollo Lunar Module to be rated for human spaceflight, which was used as part of the Apollo 9 mission.

Also:

http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/05/25/the-plane-that-shot-itself-down/ posted:

In 1973 another Grumman test pilot, Pete Purvis, also shot down his own plane,* this time with a dummy AIM-7E Sparrow III air-to-air missile that pitched upwards after being released from its hardpoint and struck the wing of the F-14 Tomcat that Purvis was flying. Both Purvis and his Weapons Systems Officer ejected safely.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 4, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Does anyone know what the joystick by the radar-type screen is for? Remote guns or what?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/wonder-womans-invisible-plane

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The bit that always gets me is that they took off and landed the Buran into/from space without any humans at the helm

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

If you go East Germany there are a handful of Cold War submarine bases you can go to and walk through a Cold War submarine. There's one in Berlin, if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't call it a full day out like Duxford, but it fills a few hours on a rainy afternoon nicely.

La Coupole near Saint-Omer is worth a shout too.

edit: Sword Beach Grand Bunker Museum was another morning well spent when I was there, but again not a full-day thing

e2: Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset was pretty good

simplefish fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 3, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I worked with a guy whose dad worked for the Stasi. My colleague's mother, a teacher, gave her students passages from Mein Kampf to analyse in a literature lesson, and poo poo got reported to whoever was in charge of local education. The fact that her husband was with the Stasi probably saved her. I don't know exactly what the father did, so he could have been anything from a post room worker up. I'm not trying to glorify the Stasi or anything, which I've been accused of before when I mentioned this.

The father became a bricklayer after the wall fell, and is now a pretty chill guy who likes to throw house parties for his neighbours and probably drinks too much.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yep. She was looking to get them to say why it was wrong, but "What did you do in school today?" "Mein Kampf" was never going to go smoothly.

e: I think it's important to say that I'm telling this to you as it was told to me, and I haven't researched it. I do trust the guy quite a lot though, he's not the sort to tell tall tales, and he was certainly from Karl-Marx-Stadt (Chemnitz)

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 2, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The problem is the limited maximum speed, large turning circles, and greater moments from a larger airframe and mass. The airframes are also probably less rigid than military fighters etc.

So in theory, if you could scale up strength and speed, it'd be more doable. But the reason you have spoilers on airliners is because going into a roll too hard, because of the ailerons' positions, would literally rip a wing off if you had full-size ailerons and no spoilers.

Can it fly upside down? Sure. Can it do it quickly enough to be classed as aerobatics? I'll remain sceptical.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 7, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

"As you can clearly see, and are welcome to check for yourself, we aren't digging thousands more silos while trying to get you to sign nuclear disarmament treaties"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Remember, proposed in 1989, weather can make problems for satellites, and also it's he culture of being open too in general, plus plenty of stuff people who know more than me could probably add

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Is that a serious question? Look at Dresden and Köln and that was with defences. Then expand to all of Fortress Europe but worse, allow the Allies to drop pamphlets, paratroopers and supplies with immunity, add in a Dambusters for good measure; an then think about the original question again.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Russians don't just do this with bears. They did it to Sweden with the Tu-22M3 (which I personally love, I think it looks badass with those big shoulders and the upward slice on the bottom of the nose) and Sweden were caught with their dick in the hand.

Source: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=04f_1366671874

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

spankmeister posted:

You're making two mistakes here:
One is that you're assuming the monarch actually has any political power in current European monarchies. And two is that them being related helps in the slightest. European monarchs have been related for centuries and it has never stopped them duking it out before, hell, kaiser Wilhelm and Tsar Nicholas were related and friends even, they sent each other a bunch of letters with "dearest Nicky/Willy this war thing is really bad let's try to stop it eh?" but the first world war still happened.

True: the Great War was fought between three cousins

vaguely related: "It's Not the End of the World?" has a fantastic music video despite being made in the '90s: http://www.metrolyrics.com/its-not-the-end-of-the-world-super-furry-animals-ml-video-ksn.html
e: the link doesn't seem to work on my mobile. It's the first google result. It used to be on youtube which might work better

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 28, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'd bet it was dehydration, going off an anecdote from a British naval constructor about American dreadnoughts marveling about how much fresh water the average American sailor drank. Also the fact that I lived in England for seven years and always had to ask for a glass of water in a restaurant if I wanted one. Any restaurant.

Coming from the UK I was surprised when I went abroad and they just gave you water with everything

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Well they ("rebels") shot down two Ukranian helicopters and Russia says peace talks are off the table.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27250026

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Your video lead me to this:

http://youtu.be/ihVszNrz6dQ

Best thing I've watched in a long time. 10/10 Attack of the Killer Roller-skates, would watch again

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm guessing that "growler" doesn't have the same meaning in the US as the UK. I'm finding it hard to take anything with that name seriously.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Lady parts (especially vulgar, and usually implies excessively hairy/ugly)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Which one was the ripoff?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Clancy was good at describing the science stuff. Like 10 pages on wave/particle duality in Timeline

e: oops actually I think that was Crichton

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

I really like the chapter on genetics in Jurassic Park, myself.

Hey I edited that for full disclosure of my brain fart so quickly that it doesn't even have a timestamp. No need to rub it in.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's entirely possible to rent an APC for stag/hen dos in the UK. They have to have rubberised tracks to be on public roads iirc but are otherwise road legal.

Also many places will let you drive warmachines over terrain courses (with decomissioned guns of course)

UK Cold War Tank Driving goon meet?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 19, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Baloogan posted:

I've been putting together a website dedicated to military hardware, airbases and orders of battle throughout the cold war and into this post cold war era.

Databases of equipment from 1945 till today, aircraft, ships, and subs.

Plus a nation viewer, which limits your view to a specific year and a certain country, for example, United States 2014 vs US 1950 and the USSR right before it fell.

Current detailed US orders of battle, US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Air National Guard and the US Marine Corps. And a few more OOBs from around the world, and different time periods.

Also if post-soviet conflict interests you, I have a work in progress Ukrainian order of battle and a Russian order of battle focusing on the Black Sea Fleet and their rooksie air force.

And finally maps of different airbases, naval bases and ICBM fields!
Dyess AFB (B-1s and C-130s)
Malmstrom AFB (ICBMs)
The Moscow SAM ring

Figured some of you might be interested. :v:

Quoted for personal use

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Wake turbulence is why you need 5 miles of separation following a heavy jet

I love the XB-70 but had never really looked into it much. For some reason I thought it had never been flown in the air, just full-scale mock-up on the ground and many many drawings. I don't know why I thought that, but it did mean that I had no idea about the mid-air collision.

Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCORwUxlNQo

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

All this missile talk got me looking up about the Sergeant, and I found this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvm4-ert6GU

Not air power but certainly Cold War

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

KingPave posted:

The discussion, by some people, seems to have occurred as if the whole thing would happen in a bubble. Not having a go at anyone about it, but am a bit curious as to why.

In any event, there's always (laughably) India there to try and provide some level of resistance - I doubt India wants a repeat of 1962, so I'd suspect there'd be an arms build up there (even if the place is unbelievably corrupt).

Not saying it isn't corrupt but in India and Pakistan, it"s the go-to accusation to shove a political opponent out of office. May be exaggerated, is all.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

http://www.queenelizabethcruises.net/hms-queen-elizabeth-aircraft-carrier/

Fact 6 and 7 crack me up

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Sort of. Designed specifically against flying tanks.

If you are under a tank in an A-10 you've already made an error

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

That's exactly what I was referencing

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Craptacular posted:

Some weirdo's theoretical flying M113. He has a fetish for calling them "Gavins" even though nobody else does.

wikipeida posted:

While some claim the M113 has been nicknamed "Gavin" (after General James M. Gavin), this is not an official designation. One observer said

In more than 30 years working in the defense industry, I have never, never heard anybody use the name "Gavin" for the M-113. Not in the US nor in any of the many countries that use the vehicle. Not in the military forces, not in the companies that build and equip it, not in the groups that retrofit and repair it. This usage appears not only to be "unofficial", it is entirely fictional and I believe that you may have been the victim of a hoax or deliberate disinformation.[22]

The cute part in that video is where he thinks it will be able to take off while tracked because BIPLANE

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Re: SU-25
Total of 12 CAS aircraft? So you aren't going to count the Cessna Hellfires?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

I snooped about, and a museum had examples with different shades in the same cockpit. So either it is a color that fades in time, or else it's not as uniform as having an RGB.

Well you see, you take some of the sky blue paint from the bottom, some of the green camo paint from the top, mix it up, and apply it to the middle bit which is the cockpit.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Plus rocket storage has to be more controlled than artillery shells.

Since we're talking about guns vs missiles, have one of my favourites - the M551 Sheridan fire control video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFGhY88hOnI

e: I got ninja'd on that, so I didn't mean it as a direct contradiction. Perhaps I'm out of date, but I watch a lot of the '60s military equipment videos, and that's where I got the notion that to prevent missile fuel degrading you had to take quite thorough steps

simplefish fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 22, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks for that. I didn't know much about the Korean war

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It fought in Korea, so I guess it could go here...

What are the inlet/vent things for in the Corsair's wings?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Actually they are, they're oil coolers. Also supercharger air intakes.

Closeup:

Nice one! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The cables snapped and injured (maybe killed?) the very people they were supposed to protect.