Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So I found some crazy guy's website while I was looking for tips on a game I was 6 years late to: http://defconwarningsystem.com/

But for relevance, he's hosting an interesting document: http://defconwarningsystem.com/documents/The%20Effects%20of%20Nuclear%20War.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

http://defconwarningsystem.com/

Dude shouldn't be trusted for anything further than the current price of tinfoil.

e: Case in point, we're positioning to bomb Syria, a Russian client state, and he leaves his DEFCON meter at 5.

But the links at the bottom of his page are pure 80s Cold War gold, read them all.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

One of the dipshit History channels recently ran a show trying to realistically guess what would happen during an alien invasion (how would they attack us, how could we fight back, etc.). One segment used that "nuclear airgun" as a means of taking out an orbiting mother ship.

I'm with the experts who figured we'd be completely wiped out before we knew we were being invaded.

I have absolutely no numbers for this, but think about the gravity well for a second. Alien invaders are already outside the gravity well, they can deorbit large things (asteroid belt?) and wipe out big parts of the earth. If we get into a war with aliens who are in orbit around our planet, the war will be very one sided.

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment except they don't have to shoot multiple tons of tungsten into space, because they're already there.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 13, 2013

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Schindler's Fist posted:

That SADM article was what it was, but it also included a training film on arming and fusing the thing - scroll down, its on the right side. The author just recently got it FOIA'd. No launch codes or keys for the SADM, a single combination lock keeps idle hands away from a crude mechanical timer, and a switch.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/01/29/the_littlest_boy_cold_war_backpack_nuke

That part where the bomb would take 'about' X long to blow up was pretty horrifying and hilarious at the same time. Did the Russians beat us to egg timer technology also?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

50FA: How did you guys handle soldiers on post who spent hours bitching and moaning about the relative truth of things that were said in the bar? I hope it involved chemical weapons.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So if this guy bumps a ball with his MP5, do you call scratch? I wouldn't.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Our obsession with "no losses" is very specific to fixed-wing jets for reasons I can't quite understand.

America hasn't quite gotten over its greatest loss:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Why is that pizza delivery man laying pipe? That's not his job!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

It was a really good movie the first time I saw it when it was called _Die Hard_.

Seriously, it tracks exactly. So bad.

Yippie ki yay Mister President.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Best cheesy Cold War fiction I ever read was the first few books of the Guardians series. First one has this amazing set-piece battle between two armored cars and an AC-130 that's stuck on the ground. And it's actually really well written for airport-bookstore-level stuff. The scene where they're sitting under the White House and the bombs are falling is amazing. Later ones got ridiculous, and had actual magic and poo poo in them, but the first one at least is solid.

Looks like no one has recommended Arc Light so...go read Arc Light. It's Tom Clancy technomilitaryfetishism done right. Also the book has a no poo poo counterforce nuclear exchange between the US and USSR in like the first 100 pages.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

meatbag posted:

What does New Zealand offer that group that Australia doesnt? Seems odd that they get to be in Five Eyes.

Isn't NZ Australia's Canada except with sheep instead of polar bears?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Alaan posted:

Word is the pro-Russians found the flight recorder and are sending it Moscow to be examined.

holocaust bloopers posted:

"high altitude stall something something"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Akion posted:

So what's the odds that any of those Bears are actually armed?

Also, I kind of want to see them just ignore one just to gently caress with the Russians.

Use the F-22's stealthiness F-35's hover mode to recreate the opening scene from Super Troopers.

E: I am bad at remembering movies.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Propagandalf posted:

You don't want Pvt. Pyle Gen. Carey trying to announce the Dutch NATO officers score with two hot SVR broads at diplomatic events or planning meals for a defense chief's summit pissing off Tsar Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin to the point where he invades a potential NATO member sent most of his army on an all expenses paid Ukranian vacation.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nonsense, the M2 APC is one of the most fearsome weapons we have. Use its superior speed to run over enemy infantry and exploit gaps in their defenses. Once inside their perimeter, unload engineers, take over their buildings, and sell them for cash. Watch out for Obelisks and massed rocket troopers.

I wish C&C had formations. An unbroken line of M2s Gavins crunching infantry, blasting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0 at full volume.

E: gently caress you I know that's from Red Alert, the canon clearly shows that the GDI already had Hell March technology for at least 50 years by the time of C&C1.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 1, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hahahahahahaah what the gently caress? This is even worse than the AeroGavin. Pvt Gavin the human powered cargo truck.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I'm trying to think about some poor guy trying to fly a plane out of the M113's driver viewport and I can't help but laugh.

:ninja:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Frozen Horse posted:

Yeah, totally stupid idea. What next, suggesting that modified bicycles be used to transport food and ammunition through mountainous terrain?

That is a dumb idea...in a world with the BigDog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ. Or we could go all out and put some poison fangs on that thing and recreate Farenheit 451 in the Middle East.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Combine that with the EATR and create a new found footage horror movie genre.

Paying for wars with conquered oil is so 20th century. 21st century wars will be funded via pay-per-view fees.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

How in the gently caress is this building still standing with all those snipers inside? :psyduck:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ought ten posted:

Oh yeah, this is on a whole new level. At least Club K has some basis in reality in terms of logistics, operation and physics. Like PhotoKirk said, the new Death-O-Copter should basically go straight from the drawing board to a Toys R Us shelf.

Loving how the gigantic container sized helicopter takes off within gun range of every single plane the US owns on a single runway, blows up all the planes, then finally concentrates on the SAMs at the end.

E: The truck is marked Fresh Fruits, clearly this was the work of the Ukrainian homonazis.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 8, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

It's interesting to think about "those guys down in the cave" now with the expansion of remote controlled drone warfare.

You've gotta figure Israel is working on some sort of tunnel drone after Protective Edge.

E: Misunderstood what you were getting at, but the point stands.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I can't find the post now, but someone in another thread was saying that it looks like the pickup bed sized part was just the reaction chamber, you'd still need to house containment and the steam engine in something building sized. Still cool, but even if this happens, we aren't going to be transporting full fusion reactors on a flatbed any time soon.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Oh for sure, I think a big part of the disbelief on this announcement was that not only did they figure out a way to do fusion, but also fit it in a tiny space. Take the tiny space part out, and it gets (a little) more believable.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

VTOL mode so you can power the GroverLasers defending Henderson Field 2.0.

E: ^ :argh:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, we had a few retired guys who flew private poo poo like Citation II's come pick them up from our shop and they were like that, too. I think the cockiness only applies to the active jocks.

If you went from flying a Ferrari to an 18-wheeler, you'd probably drop a few notches on the cockiness scale too.

E: I guess this was more directed at the F-15/cargo pilot, but whatever.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Glorgnole posted:

What's the weirdest thing you've heard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e_XXUYFdyk&t=85s

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

That's all true for any aircraft. We're talking the costs to restart the raptor run. If we need more planes, and the choice is a new airframe or more raptors, do you seriously think the raptor would be more expensive than a clean sheet design?

Couldn't you do something like the Super Hornet, where you make an F-22 "B" that's mostly new? I'm sure there's a whole list of minor (and maybe not so minor) changes the engineers would like to go back and make with the help of hindsight.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay, I have a question about how fires play into any potential conflict. I'm going off this post in the Idiots thread:

Wild T posted:

:words:
When we did night fire on the M2 I couldn't even see the targets because those little IR blinky lights were lost in the bright white smudge of the raging grassfire from the tracers behind them.
:words:

It seems like any real fight in a forest/grassland from early Summer to late Fall would cause at least one major fire, and probably a bunch. How would that affect troop movement, are there forestry trained people who look at a map and say 'this fire is probably going to move over here in the next X hours', etc?

E: Not sure if that question belongs in this thread, but I guess it could apply in a theoretical Western Europe fight that hadn't gone nuclear yet.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vindolanda posted:

The Victory is more than a match for a hypothetical ARA Cristina Kirchner, considering how poor Argentine funding, training and grasp of reality is.

Espionage or a trans-Atlantic buddy system?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:stare:
I saw the handprints first but I'm more interested in the nuke emblem.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wibbleman posted:

More nuts was the American plan to put Japanese troops (likely the same IJA dudes that were there before) on the ground in the Korean war. Luckily they managed to refuse, cause that would have been a giagantic cluster gently caress.

Weeeerrreeeee baaaaaaaack!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

drat. Even with a few small bombs. They could have bombed NYC in a one way trip.

Or even something more harmful, like doped up paratroopers with MG42's parachuting into times square.

This sounds like a level in a Call of Duty game.

Press F to take drugs

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Psion posted:

because F-16s with the CFTs look ugly :colbert:

...in plane form.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Building a plane that does nothing but BVR isn't such a great idea when most times the ROE prohibit BVR engagement.

Air Force flies F-52s, Navy's Army's Air Force flies A-10s. I just fixed American air power for the next 100 years, you're welcome. *drops mic*

E: The Navy flies nothing but KC-18s, a carrier will be able to refuel one F-52.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 8, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Insane Totoro posted:

Just strap some AMRAAMs on top of the rotating radar dish and you're good to go for awesome recruiting videos

:fap:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hepatizon posted:

By "compliant" I mean these tests involve trivial targets under trivial conditions. Low altitude makes the test easy because the beam is less attenuated. Also, the drone was a ScanEagle, which is too tiny to carry weapons. Also the pilot makes no attempt to maneuver. It's a turkey shoot.

I really don't get why shooting down a drone would impress anyone -- they could have done that in the 80s.

The laser is the important part, not the target tracking. Am I being trolled right now?

I'm an idiot who doesn't read the thread before posting, but isn't target tracking a handled issue at this point? How much does the laser weigh and how much does that weight affect tracking?

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 12, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Micr0chiP posted:

From the Russian.jpeg thread, some SU-27(?) action.

If she was straddling my missile, it wouldn't be inert.

:huh:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Wow, that's... actually pretty sad, then. I would have figured they'd be focusing on the areas where LO makes a big difference, like strike and OCA, but hey, let's just ask for everything at once.

:v:

Surprised they don't have cargo transport on there as well. Gotta keep those austere FOBs resupplied!

KC-35C: Stealth tanker

iyaayas01 posted:

Until someone sees Wingnut Ninja's post about cargo transport and decides to rig up EXINT pods on it.

E: The outstanding piece of modern literature "Ghost" from John Ringo had a B-2 rigged to drop SEALs from the rotary launcher, any reason we couldn't do that on a smaller scale with the F-35?

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

OhYeah posted:

Is it just me or have they tried to needlessly hypercharge documentaries in the last 10-15 years to grip the viewer? It's like we are all supposed to have ADHD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckyyUHfnxmU