Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Depends on the service and version - early Navy A-7s had traditional Colt cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Times where that has worked:

- B-17

Times where it hasn't:

- A-5
- F-105
- Initial conception of the TFX
- Pretty much any time Lockheed tried to build a fighter

Also your analogy doesn't even work because the Brits told the US to get hosed and built Lancasters after finding the B-17 an inaccurate and vunderable bomber.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 16, 2012

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

grover posted:

F-35s with combat lasers will be capable of boost-phase missile interception. The 747/chemical-laser -based ABM was cancelled largely because a compact solid-state laser was anticipated to reach maturity virtually the same time and will be far superior in virtually every respect.

The F-35A and F-35C are ideal platforms for the laser in part due to the giant cavity designed in the aircraft for the F-35B, and also that engine is designed to transfer the shaft horsepower of a destroyer to an auxiliary, which could easily be a generator powering the laser. The main hurdle to development is not power or miniaturization (prototype solid-state lasers are already compact and powerful and shooting poo poo down all over the place in tests), but effective cooling.

Here's Northrop-Grumman's SSLTE press release, but no video yet like we had from JHPSSL tests.

I don't think the F-35 is fast enough or has the range for proper missile defense. Not to mention one advantage of the 747 is that it would have a real loiter time.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Well I guess that takes the F-35 from "utterly worthless waste of money" to "A modern day Voodoo".

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I see your Comanche and raise you a Ka-50 Hokum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHyVNdZfILE

:ussr:

(Goddamn it is hard to find good pictures of the Ka-50 firing)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

kill me now posted:

Superbugs are about as LO as the navy currently has in its active inventory.

Why do people even care about LO anyway, why not focus on something that can actually fight effectively and then build super Phoenixes or something, like what the Russians are doing?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

edit: nvm

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 23, 2012

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Psion posted:

You know, this has been bothering me for a while, and really started bothering me when I was flying one in Ace Combat a lot (shut up :mad: )

What is in the enormous penis long, hard shaft between the engines on every Flanker? Or the super huge one in the Su-34? I've heard anything from RWR to a full-up rear facing radar set and nobody seems to know for sure. Except, presumably, Sukhoi, but seriously. You'd think a huge dick pointing out the back of an aircraft would get more attention on the internet where these things are the foundation of stupid epeen debates on Youtube over which aircraft is better than which. All of one article I can find on the internet discusses it and calls it a tail stinger, for what that's worth, but no details on what's in the thing.

Seriously. Look at the size of that thing.

Serious answer: Countermeasures dispenser.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Psion posted:

canards are apparently complete poo poo for low RCS,

Not strictly true; the Eurofighter's FLCS automatically adjusts trim so the canards can be kept in a position that minimises their signature.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Psion posted:

I'm not a Radar Master, but wouldn't this fail miserably if you had two+ sources trying to paint the Eurofighter?

Well yeah, but obviously as you said the canards give it an advantage in manoeuvrability.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I don't know what you're smoking, getting into bed with the US was the worst thing British hawks ever did. What yes, let us rely completely on an ally who is across an easily blockade ocean :downs: On that note...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

You're thinking the wrong end of the supply chain.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

grover posted:

The notch maneuver is a real thing, and a classic historical move to fall under the velocity gate pilots set for pulse-doppler radars. It's not that RADAR can't track the massive underbelly of an F-15, it's moreso that it gets automatically squelched along with ground clutter and a poo poo-ton of other extraneous slow-moving/stationary returns. I'd like to think modern US radars are smart enough that this no longer works, but I've heard it mentioned quite frequently regarding Soviet-era fighters and SAMs.

It's certainly gotten better, and US radars do have better computers that can discriminate between clutter and targets much easier and more quickly, but notching is still useful since it can allow a pilot to escape a US fighter using track-while-scan. This forces your US pilot to either go to single target track and devote all radar resources (radar energy, computational time) to following that one bandit and to sacrifice situational awareness, or to disregard him and go after easier prey.

Note that this is with traditional passive phased array radars like the AN/APG-70 in the F-15. Your fancy shmancy AESA radars work completely differently and we'll have to wait until a plane with such a set (such as the F-22 or Eurofighter) starts seeing regular combat against something that isn't a Mig-23 piloted by a terrified rookie.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Most active AAMs only engage their seekers within about 10km to the target. Notching is meant to beat the guiding/illuminating radar; if the enemy loses lock then that AMRAAM/Adder he just fired is the world's most expensive dumbfire missile. Also it's worth noting that it's purely an air to air tactic, as even taking clouds and birds into consideration the sky makes a great backdrop for ground-based targeting radars.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

movax posted:

- F-22s rape face

well now i know that books a fictional story oh ho

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'd figure that most UAVs'd be too cheap to kill with Patriots, those'd be more the kind of thing you'd Stinger or hit with a Vulcan.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cool, so I guess you'd have no issue spending a million to pop a 50k four-stroke engine with wings and 100 kg of ANFO strapped to it. I don't know about you, but if I were the enemy in that situation I'd punch those numbers into a calculator and watch it make a happy face.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

In fairness I'm just mad the US didn't stick with the Standard Missile concept and develop a scalable set of short, medium and long range air defense systems that could share components to keep costs down. :shobon:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hey, I think I read that one. Was it the one with the nuke stolen from the downed B-29?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'd fund that program, if nothing more than to see how Lockheed would gently caress it up.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

grover posted:

Reported for shilling.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Well if you wanted to save money you could start by nationalising key defence industries. :fascistsay:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The British arms industry has been involved with the Mid-East since the fall of the Ottomans.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I regard the MV-22 in a much better light than the F-35; it's a deathtrap, sure, but at least it's a useful deathtrap.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

I used to like the F-35, then I took an Arrow to the knee.

Sorry, overdone I know, but I couldn't resist. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

And now we get to the heart of TFR: military toys (literally). :v:

(I wasn't allowed anything "violent" as a kid and mostly played with lego)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

So in a WW 3 scenario, did modern western tank designs (the M1, the Leopard 2, the Challenger) take into account mass-reproducibility, so production could be cranked up if needed?

To a certain extent, yes, but that was because the West had a flat out more advanced industry, so they could operate at a higher level of sophistication and still churn out Challengers by the dozen, while the Soviet philosophy was to have thousands of cheap as gently caress, maximum-bang-for-buck tanks such as the T-55, T-62 and T-72 supported by dedicated tank guards divisions with the much more capable, advanced and expensive T-64s and T-80s. Both of the latter were arguably the most advanced tanks in the world when they came out, it's just then you get early adopter syndrome - they were expensive as hell as a consequence. Meanwhile, because the West, especially from the mid-70's onward, had made huge advances in computer technology and materials science it was possible to make tanks that were somewhere between the two tiers of tank design for a cost that wasn't absurd (except Japan, :hurr:). It is my firm belief that in part because of all this the M1 Abrams is the finest weapons system the US has ever deployed, and I'm saying that as a huge goddamned Russophile.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Silent Eagle is a loving brilliant concept and gently caress the US for not going with it :mad:

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 30, 2012

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I read in one of those :supaburn:RED ARMY 1980 books about some kind of artillery shell that would reach a certain height, deploy a parachute, and then turn into some kind of one shot mini recoiless rifle and would fire a penetrator downwards into an enemy tank. How it would aim itself or ID targets was unclear.

Was that a real thing?

Dunno about the Soviets, but the CBU-97 basically works like that. It identifies targets by IR signature and laser outline.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

The rounds are self-detonating and supposedly drop small enough bits of shrapnel to not cause a whole lot of damage. Then again, it's still thousands of the drat things.

Holy Christ, that's worse. DU is nasty, nasty stuff when broken into thousands of small pieces.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also it's pyrophoric but yeah, DU's toxic and mutagenic as hell. Ask any mother in Fallujah!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

That said, I have no idea if the line for producing M1s still exists. It's possible that the US could just use up its entire force of tanks over decades of low intensity conflict.

The lines are closed, but there is money put aside to reopen them sometime around 2015 for maintenance and upgrades IIRC. Same with the Challenger II.

Nebakenezzer posted:

(That's another thing I utterly don't get about the F-35 - in Europe most of the buyers already have new planes in the form of the eurofighter.)

This essentially goes back to the formation of NATO - one of the conditions of membership (and of receiving Marshall Plan aid, incidentally) was that the participating country purchase US arms. As the Cold War went on and Europe rebuilt itself there was a struggle between the US, which was perfectly happy being the arsenal of democracyblatant corruption and imperialism, and Europe, which wanted to rebuild its indigenous arms industry and get in on that sweet, sweet Middle Eastern dictator lucre. This struggle more or less fell along continential lines - the Brits were perfectly happy to buy American goods (and sell the Americans their family silver for a pittance; see Chobham armour), while the French (who had told NATO to get hosed in '58) and the West Germans wanted their own companies to prosper. In the middle you got the minor players like the Dutch and the Italians, who got a choice of being dominated by the Americans or dominated by the French and Germans.

Eventually, with the Cold War ending, this question became somewhat irrelevant but there are some muppets who think that it's still 1950 and that American industry is still on top of the world. It also doesn't help, of course, that a major difference between European and American equipment procurement is that in America, if, say, a fighter has issues with its radar being delayed, the whole program gets delayed, whereas in Europe we'll just put it into service sans radar, and put it in later. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

grover posted:

I also love that spreading work equally through all the european partners ended up with really stupid poo poo like one wing being built in one factory in one nation, and the nother wing built by a completely different company in a completely different factory in a completely different company. And it goes on and on. And they wonder why there are issues with commonality and spare parts.

The Eurofighter has issues, but that's essentially the same approach used by every pan-European project ever. For gently caress's sake, the US does the same thing, but with states. The real problem with the Eurofighter is that it's a pure air superiority fighter in an age of multi-role aircraft; it meets the design goals, but the problem is the design goals were poo poo.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

grover posted:

Hey, at least it's 1/3 of what UK is paying for the Typhoon, so it's a relative bargain... :11tea:

On the other hand the Germans aren't complaining about the Typhoon not doing what it wasn't built to. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

goon project convert old Mig-21s into manned SAMs

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah, pykrete's only useful in naval applications since it floats and you can afford to fit the refrigeration systems to keep it from melting.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Counterpoint: you guys bought those SFWs instead of, say, healthcare.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

omgLerkHat! posted:

So in other words we should have military parades of physicists, technicians, aeronautical engineers, and nuclear scientists. A vast parade of :science::science::science::science:.

I like it.

I was going to get into a stupid sematic derail but then this came up. This is awesome please do this tia.

Also Raw_Beef you should probably sober up before posting next time.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

AlexanderCA posted:

Well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMNPR4X5Nqo

I always liked the French prancing about their tanks yearly, regardless of the nationalistic nuttiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujpllo5ZDiI

This is loving Ireland, one of the least imperialist countries on earth. The United States not doing the marching thing is a rarity because hey, precision guided munitions are loving expensive and dudes with Steyrs are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I do think that you should toss any real idea of "good guys" and "bad guys" in international foreign policy, though. There are very, VERY few instances in history where that judgement doesn't rest purely on your individual background and point of view, and almost all of those involve something completely out there, like genocide.

To expand on this, international politics is much like tic-tac-toe in that the only winning move, morally speaking, is not to play. The only nations one could consider "good" are those that have never done anything ever due to being too small/weak/poor.