Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Our company recently had Major General Ickes as a guest speaker at the annual meeting. Among other things, he flew Delta Darts over the United States to defend against a potential Soviet bomber incursion from the north.

He had a few nice stories. At one point he was flying over the Great Lakes (I think it was Huron? I found a forum where a guy witnessed the incident, but can't find it again; a newer Google search found an incident where a Delta Dart in 1966 crashed into Lake Huron just 25 miles from the airbase) and he saw his wingman's engine flare up. Figuring he hit his afterburner, Ickes hit his own. Then he saw the pilot eject, and realized that the engine was actually on fire. It crashed into the lake, just barely avoiding smacking straight into a power plant. The canopy smashed through the trailer of a woman who lived alone out in the woods, cutting it in half while she was taking a shower. The fuselage was hauled out of the lake and they investigated the turbine, and they eventually traced it back to a particular factory that had a manufacturing defect in the blades. They had an abrasion on them, which caused one of the turbine blades in the F-106 to snap off at full throttle and the engine just tore itself to shreds.

Also, apparently Delta Darts had to lose a certain amount of fuel weight to land safely? He mentioned having to dump fuel after he was suddenly called back to base just after takeoff (the crew chief had accidentally left a wrench in the fuselage where he had been keeping it during maintenance and immediately got the flight recalled), as the plane couldn't handle the weight of a full load on landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wrecking my browser too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Didn't work for me, so I found a repost of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uleKGHG4txA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Does that apply to private trade in things like load-bearing gear, helmets, and weapon optics across borders? Because there's a TON of that for sale everywhere from eBay to the Red Alliance forums.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So if someone in Russia put up, say, a POSP scope for sale online, it's perfectly fine to buy it and have it mailed over here? What about if I were to sell someone in Russia a Leupold scope? Assuming nothing but private individuals making transactions.

Red Alliance has a LOT of guys selling what's purported to be real helmets and body armor, usually for huge markup like $500+ for just an Eastern European Kevlar vest.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

Here rifle scopes controlled under the ITAR:

121.1, Category I, (f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

all other rifle scopes are controlled under the EAR:

Commerce Control List (CCL), Supplement No. 1 to Part 774, 0A987 (ECCN) - Optical sighting devices for firearms

both face potential export controls that if you were to export them it would be your responsibility to over come.

do not gently caress around with shipping gun parts overseas unless you know what you are doing. It does not matter if this is a private non military sale.

ITAR has "higher" jurisdiction than the EAR, so the ITAR is your first check. Notice how the ITAR says manufactured to military specifications, so it is possible for a civilian company making a purely civilian hunting scope for civilians, and have that rifle scope being subject to the ITAR.

Is any sale overseas between parties legally an export for these purposes?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For the record, I have nothing for sale. I'm mostly a purchaser of surplus and modern gear, some of which comes from Eastern Europe and Russia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

Looks like things in Yemen are heating up. Wonder where they dragged those two from.

Christ, both of those are WW2 vintage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

david_a posted:

Is a T-34 vulnerable against RPG-7s?

The T-34 was vulnerable to World War II-era anti-tank weapons. The RPG-7 was made after that.

A gunner with an RPG-7 would see any World War II tanks up to and including the Tiger and treat it as a free kill.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

Even using them for indirect fire is much better than whatever improvised catapults you see coming out of Syria.

What about these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmitj55W5y0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That Works posted:

What is propelling that? Hydraulic press?

Since it has a muzzle flash, gonna guess it's a gunpowder charge. There's a lot of small variations, like this one that loads the entire bomb into the tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXVy22fOj-0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Throatwarbler posted:

A 14.5mm round has almost twice the propellant charge and energy of a .50, and yet it has only similar performance?

A 14.5mm round only has 4-7k more foot-pounds than a .50 BMG (depending on which two rounds you're comparing), or a bit more than 25% greater energy with two typical cartridges.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TCD posted:

But in what numbers? As I understand it the Germans weren't able to pump out that much later war machinery and what they did produce had poor metallurgy.

Some cursory research says 492 Tiger IIs were built. To give an example of how many you could expect to see on the battlefield, the 501st Heavy Panzer Battalion listed having only 25 in their inventory; for comparison, over 2000 Pershing heavy tanks were built by the end of 1945. Its armor maxed out at 185mm, so even without the brittleness and bad weld problems of World War II German armor any anti-tank weapon from the RPG-7 onward would likely go through its thickest point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Absolutely. Modern tandem warheads can penetrate over 750mm of RHA. That's not getting through the frontal armor on an Abrams, but it can penetrate pretty much anywhere else.

It's really a matter of where you shoot and what range. Trying to go through the front or even side at 400 meters is destined to fail without a ton of luck, but you could damage the treads or wheels or blow off some external components (I believe Cojone Eh, one of the Abrams involved in the Thunder Run in Iraq, was set on fire by what's believed to be a recoilless rifle because it was carrying FLEXCEL fuel bladders for the long range of the operation and failed to detach or empty them before they were struck by enemy fire). But at close range, RPG-7s (especially with modern warheads) can pierce the top and rear or make mobility kills that force the tank to be abandoned or towed back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

Regarding this. Kinda copying my link/quote from the D&D forums so forgive me :P

"Based on some "insider reports" (whatever they may be worth) it wasn't a vehicle breakdown per se but an error on the part of the driver that led to the tank being locked up so that it couldn't be towed. A UVZ factory driver showed up, reset the tank and drove it off under its own power just 15 min. after the initial incident. If it was a breakdown, it was rectified from the driver's position."

This reminds me of a weird conversation I had with my Russian friend last night about the Vikhr. AKA "that weirdass tumbling/spiraling missile". I claimed its accuracy was lower than usual, a willing compromise, due to the single control surface, which in turn led to its flight pattern. He disagreed, and insisted that the missile was totally accurate. The key point of contention was that apparently Russian's qualify "failure for the control surfaces to account for the target's movement" as a technical/mechanical failure. Thus the missile itself was super accurate by claims, the inability to hit the target was instead qualified as a technical failure? :shrug:

The whole conversation was very confusing.

If it's not a "breakdown", what do you call it when your tank is so computer-driven that the driver can cause it to bluescreen?

I think we need to expand the definition of "breaking down" to the computerized vehicle age.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mazz posted:

Buk catches fire in the Victory Day parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tMvBFgnmY8

The Ghost of MH-17?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

simplefish posted:

Well, I *am* in China but I'm not behind the Great Firewall (I'm in Hong Kong)

Might still be under restriction.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Agean90 posted:

I don't know much about Intel and espionage, but a huge fuckoff steel ship with planes parked on it doesn't really seem like something that hides well.

I told the first guy quoted that in the Year of our Lord 2015, there's basically no way to hide an American aircraft carrier steaming into Hong Kong in the middle of the day and disgorging sailors and Marines to tour the city. There were probably a thousand photos taken of that ship by the Chinese alone as soon as it docked.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alaan posted:

All the mechanics and engineers that worked on that program deserve some of the biggest kudos of all times. "Here's a plane with no/terrible documentation, your only spare parts came from crashed planes, everything else you need to fabricate or adapt by hand."

Still not as epic as the Blitzfighter from the Pentagon Wars guy. He wanted to just fill the skies with swarms of tiny fighters that were almost entirely 30mm Gatling gun with no "high-priced junk" like radar, IR, or guided missiles. Literally no electronics but a radio and the bare minimum of instruments to keep the pilot airborne.

Born from a brain that looked at the technological advances of 1945 and decided that they were too high tech for him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

All those other nato names at least make sense.

I think literally the only concern was that it be a word that started with the appropriate letter for the type of weapon and sounded distinctive from all the others. There was probably a lot of debate and dictionary scouring done during the Cold War.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

A 14ft shark demolished a 4ft redfish in 10ft of water about 100ft or so feet from shore by the lighthouse right in front of me. gently caress going into those waters.

But how many feet is the lighthouse?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of which, are there any actually good Vietnam first person shooter games? Virtually everything I've found is a cheap cash grab with few or no redeeming features, or at best a mediocre FPS with nothing memorable.

And yes, I already know about the zombie one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

Battlefield Vietnam is worth it just to rock the gunship with Fortunate Son playing.

Too bad you're probably the only one playing online at that time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Now I see why the Mighty Mouse rockets got phased out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So a few months ago, one of the companies I contract for had its annual meeting. To help keep interest and bring up how incident investigation should be done, they brought in Brigadier General Charles V. Ickes III as a guest speaker. He talked about several incidents that occurred and how he became a pilot in the Air Force, eventually becoming an F-106 Delta Dart pilot keeping the Russians from flying Bears over from the north. I was in charge of filming and photographing the meeting, and I filmed all but a few seconds of his time on the podium. For another thread I partially transcribed one of his stories.

This takes place in 1975 over Lake Superior, with two-seater F-106B trainers. The planes took off for a routine flight with 10 second spacing.

quote:

And I noticed that he lit his afterburner. And I thought "This is interesting, why'd he light his afterburner?" .... unfortunately, he didn't light his afterburner. His engine had just blown up. But I was about a quarter of a mile behind him, so all of a sudden I'm in full afterburner and his engine blew up. The accident board later figured out it took a quarter of a second for him to go from full power to zero. So you can imagine the impact on an airplane when literally the turbine in front of the engine broke and went through the engine, and that all happened in a quarter of a second.

And then I watched this stuff start flying off the airplane and never having seen this I'm like "What is that? Why are panels coming off the airplane?" Then I realized the two pilots had just ejected. So I'm watching two live ejections, we're about 1200 feet above the ground, and straight ahead of us is the power plant in Marquette, Michigan. And now all of a sudden my brain goes "Look at that. That airplane is aimed at that power plant." .... I'm on the radio calling the flight lead, who's about two miles ahead of us going "Why aren't you guys catching up?" and I'm like "Well, we have a little scenario back here and, uh....."

The pilots were both safe. One of the funny things about this is their canopy came off and it went through a lady's trailer, that lived out there in the woods, and she was in the shower. So that would be a rude awakening, it was about nine in the morning. And that canopy weighed about 400 pounds, and it literally split her trailer in half and crushed it in. So of course the Air Force paid for all of that.

A team from the Air Force then comes in with seven to ten experts and they took as long as they needed, they dug into every aspect of that accident. That was an interesting thing to learn as a young pilot, because we learned not only how every aspect of what we did was scrutinized, but things that we did and didn't do and how they might impact the overall mission of the Air Force. .... They went in and pulled that airplane up .... they pulled it out of the water, they got the engine back. Literally figured out which blade in the engine out of hundreds of blades had an abrasion on it, which caused metal fatigue which caused it to crack which caused the turbine to then start coming apart, and that all occurred in a quarter of a second. And they figured out where that blade was manufactured and they figured out that their process was wrong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Got another story from General Ickes! This was when the F-15 was just entering service.

quote:

I was the commander of the flight unit and had just finished my initial F-15 training and was taking off to fly my first sortie from home base. My crew chief was a great guy I’d known for years. A few minutes into the flight a sheepish voice came on the radio and said, “Boss you need to return home.” So we dumped some fuel and returned. My crew chief was almost in tears as I came down the ladder and I asked him what had happened. The chief replied, “I realized after you left that I was missing a very important wrench.” I asked, “So what’d you do then?” He proceeded to tell me everything he had done and it was all by the book. I told him that it was all I needed to hear. The crew chief apologized profusely and I told him that he had done absolutely the right thing and then we figured out why it happened. He already knew and readily admitted it.

At a meeting that night I made an example of the chief for how he did his job. Anybody that has that kind of integrity that has the wing commander flying his airplane and realizes he just launched him with a safety issue and then readily fesses up? That’s integrity.

Turns out the crew chief had put his wrench on a little shelf on the underside of the plane, and forgotten about it until he saw the F-15 take off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't care enough about the politics behind it to not spend a day or two at Patriot Park if I was in Russia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At the max rate of fire for that gun, 220 rounds lasts something like 3.5 seconds. It's proportionately the same ammo as an AKM with one 30-round magazine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mazz posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I was curious if they went with something new this time, but the mount looked pretty static in that video.

Although it makes you wonder if they could set an automatic mode where the pilot toggles it on and the gun spins up, waiting for the radar to see a firing angle. Probably way more trouble then it's worth, but an interesting thought.

Make it like in GI Joe: Rise of Cobra where you shout something in Irish Gaelic to fire a set burst.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bitcoin bastard posted:

tbh id be surprised if there isnt already some sort of auto fire mode where as soon as you put the nose in the correct place relative to the target you just marked, your already spun up gatling gun spits out a burst

Doesn't the spinning of a Gatling gun also load and fire it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Countdown to the first F-35 dropped into the ocean starts now, I guess.

I'm guessing less than six months.

A very irate Gunnery Sergeant picks up an F-35 and breaks it in half over the head of a POW so they can be given a new plane.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ClassicFascist posted:

There was also Kubrick's super accurate b-52 interior in Dr Strangelove, it was still classified at the time and the air force was a bit worried if I remember correctly. Too lazy to fact check!

Basically, Ken Adams had access to a single photograph of the B-52's cockpit. His production design team used the cockpit of the B-29, looked at the geometry of the B-52 from the outside, and extrapolated from there. Turns out that's basically how the actual B-52 cockpit was designed in the first place.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I believe the Buk in question doesn't have IFF more advanced than "Does it have a friendly tag? If not, enemy!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Hip digi-kids."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

So guys what the heck is a 'semi-state of war' anyway?

The same thing they've always been in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mazz posted:

Seems like more ammo then it should.
Everyone says that until they run out of ammo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Antti posted:

I think this is a joke. This is a joke, right? It's the F-35 so I can't be absolutely sure.

The joke is that this only occurs if you get the gun to fire in the first place.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Meanwhile, Russia continues to send bombers over NATO territory that just fly around and do nothing before going home."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is that where the launch codes were all set to 00000000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

So you're saying they're superior to continental NATO.

I want to imagine that Hind gun pods are just a cluster of broomsticks.