Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Well, if you really want fat..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

But would they be cool with a plane with DEUS VULT on it?

I don't like posting pics from my country's air-force that soon again, but yes, we are that stupid.

(Saint-George the dragon slayer above, Archangel Gabriel below. The third one is a photoshop composite)

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 19, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Well yes, but you gotta agree it's a little stupid too. I mean, my mother was in the HAF herself, and even I think it's cheesy.

I won't go into our ancient Greek god paint-jobs, that is too embarrassing to show.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 19, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

What does your heart tell you?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The micropenis is mandatory.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Don Gato posted:

Well, I thought over the top paint jobs were dumb

We are really beyond redemption here in Greece..even the F-16s are not immune.

Yes, that is an F-16 Blk52+ Adv. with an image of Zeus, complete with corny thunderbolts, flags, eagles and the Vergina Sun...

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 19, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

No I get it, it's just that I like more subtle(?) things maybe.

For example, some years ago we finally retired our Corsairs. Months before that happened, we painted one of the 336SQD planes (the Squadron has the name "Olympus" from the mountain etc) in two tone (black and silver) pirate and SQD colors, and flew it around as a showcase of a long and distinguished career in HAF. Ours were the last Corsairs in the world still in operation back then.

I dig that a little more, maybe I'm a boring person I guess..

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 19, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ah yes..Russians..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwO5rnJvzT4

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yeah, you can see Givi in the end of the video I posted too. He got killed last year, if I remember correctly.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Fearless posted:

No, I'm good thanks.

How about an improved Kongo class JMSDF destroyer getting lost in time and emerging in 1942 before the battle of Midway? (think "The Final Countdown" but with a competent plot this time).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Phanatic posted:

On whose side would it be fighting?

The struggle of the crew from a modern, peaceful, and wealthy Japan to resist the nationalistic appeal of defending their country, knowing that in this time it is ruled by a brutal, totalitarian and militaristic government is the central theme of the show.

May be an acquired taste, but really beats some poo poo like "The last ship" for me..

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yep, at least the Manga is finished.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

bewbies posted:

They all carry the lightweight torpedoes for ASW work; I honestly don't know if the current launchers could handle a big one but I am inclined to think they can't.

They can't, and they also don't need to.

Nowadays we have two types of torpedoes. Lightweight (324mm - 12.75in used by surface and air combatants) and heavyweight (533mm - 21in, used by subs). The Russians and Chinese also use the Heavyweight Type 65 class of torpedoes (650mm - 25.6 in) in some of their subs (one of those was the reason for the Kursk disaster)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

Anime cartoon option, does a harpoon have remotely the precision needed to take out fore and aft primary and backup fire directors plus the optics on each turret?

No. I mean, they are pretty precise missiles, but not built for something like this (individual component targeting).

Btw...a modern NATO counterpart might have problems with a WII BB, but a big Warsaw pact warship probably wouldn't. Those 5 and 7 ton supersonic missiles would hurt a lot more (always speaking about conventional weapons).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 21, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

bewbies posted:

That said there is an X FACTOR: does anyone have any idea how many inches of STS and KC armor an SM-6 can penetrate?

They got the speed, but their very small (for AsuW weapons at least) blast fragmentation warhead is not optimized for surface targets.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

spiky butthole posted:

I'm pretty sure the heat warheads on a hellfire would certainly make a good quality mess of the main armaments,

Not really. RHAe used for todays' missiles has no real bearing against actual RHA, neither is it tested on it (or designed to defeat it). This may sound a little illogical, but it is true. Moreover, K.C. and STS armor of that thickness were designed to withstand AP capped shells weighing more than a ton in both direct and plunging fire in certain distances. No 8kg conventional warhead of whatever property can penetrate that. Run a regular "fist to finger" action calculation using the Monroe effect for a 14cm Hellfire EFP, and you will see that pretty quickly. ;)

Then you have the problem of actually firing (from what platform?) and guiding that missile (to hit something specifically you need the SALH version). All while dodging 5'' AAVT flak shells (and Bofors shells if you are anywhere inside your max hellfire range). In a helicopter.

To actually do appreciable damage to an Iowa main/turret belt you would need something more than a Hellfire.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 21, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

C.M. Kruger posted:

The shaped charge on a Styx/Silkworm can cut through a Iowa's armor easy enough. And even if it doesn't penetrate you've still got 300-500kg of high explosives going off on the superstructure.

We talked about this up-thread. Any major Soviet/Russian surface combatant has an extremely easy job in this scenario (their ASuW weapons are built differently). Like...imagine a Bazalt or Granit hitting the deck at mach 2. We were talking about something like a Burke.

Regarding the Knighthawk, assuming the ship got lucky and had a block III helo then it would be possible to fire 8 hellfires at the BB before coming back. Assuming it lived long enough to guide them. In this scenario, you'd probably aim for the citadel/conning tower, and hope the 8th missile penetrates.

Bonus thought. SK-2 Air Search Radars are practically un-jammable by a Burke. SLQ-32s have no ability to deal with this lo-fi tech (60Hz PRF for crying out loud!) The last thing that did was the AN/WLR-1 (V1 or 2), and then, by accidentally producing positional Lloyd mirror effects at range.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 21, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Regarding the torpedoes, as well as submarine warfare in general in WWII, late Clay Blair is the bee's knees.

For Pacific:
Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War against Japan

For Atlantic:
Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters, 1939-1942
Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted: 1942-1945

I haven't read the first book (ordered it today after reading this thread), but the last two were really the most comprehensive thing about any subject I have read in my life. And I read, a lot.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 22, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Blair did his level best to record every single cruise of every U-boat. I don't regret buying them but there's a real forest-for-the-trees problem there.

Yeah, it is not exactly a high level take on the subject, but more like a breathtakingly comprehensive account. Having said that, I don't see the problem that you speak of in this. His work is not a mere collage of known sources but also a pretty solid and extensive analysis on everything for the subject at hand, from strategy and tactics to the technology at hand, the evolution of the battlefield and the policy and military decisions that lead to the actual outcome of the war in the Atlantic.

The data is thus used to inform and corroborate said analysis (and his two big conclusions about the war) instead of simply dryly narrating every bit of it. The dataset is so gargantuan though (he did a thorough job, and this was a big war) that can certainly befuddle the layman/non history buff reader, looking for something shorter and more concise. I can agree to that.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 22, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I've watched this part of the movie more than 10 times, it never gets old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

but but, it's a troop carrier..sir.

sir?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

RandomPauI posted:

How strong was the Soviet navy back in 1952? Could it have fought a surface action against Nato nations during Operation Mainbrace?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Mainbrace

No it could certainly not. But, by 1952, Tomsk-7 and Krasnoyarsk-26 were in full swing. So they probably wouldn't have to. By 1952 they had enough RDS-1/3s and Tu-4A to seriously spoil the party (even with most of them simply getting shot down on the way). Operation Crossroads had already shown that the world had entered a new era.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Regarding the PLAN, Chinese are pretty methodical in their effort to build a true blue water navy for the SCS and ECS. Especially if you pay attention in the way they procure major combatants (after testing the poo poo out of them and evolving their designs).

They are also pretty fast at it. Take for example their Type 052 destroyers. They made 2 in 2004, proceeded to test them into oblivion, decided to move to the 052C variant in the next year and made another two. Then, 5 years of component/operation testing before they made 4 more.
As soon as the test results were in, they made the improved D version and decided to lock the design. Between 2012 and now, they have 6 new operational, 4 in sea trials, 3 in fitting and another 4 under construction, using two shipyards. Their plan is for 26 destroyers of the D type, and now they are moving to cruisers (055) with 6 under simultaneous construction (one in fitting right now).

As soon as they lock a design, they start making them like candy. And these are big, Burke style ships, not fishing trawlers.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 28, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m sure QC will be stellar and no face will be lost pointing potential flaws.

What I was explaining is that they are testing the poo poo out of a design and evolve it before they proof/lock it for serial production.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

Weapons development when you already have fully functional systems is bad?

I’m sure China will eventually figure out the problems once they steal enough data.

You are in a bingo roll today.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Mortabis posted:

For disaster relief yes of course gator freighters are great for that sort of thing; I'm not so sure about China's carriers and destroyers and what not but all I'm saying is that you can show the flag with any old ship.

They actually have used one of their 6 new LPDs in the past for humanitarian effort (I think it was during the Libya civil war). Those 25,000 ton ships are made for Taiwan, of course. I think their first LHA/LHD is close to launch and go into fitting too.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 28, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Fresh coral makes a bad foundation for artificial naval base.
Destroy coral, make base.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Everyone has been butt-raping the seas for close to two centuries now, it's just that at this point in time China (and to a lesser extend India) do it a bit more than others. Saying that should not automatically bring an anti-asian bias into mind.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news, it seems like the Z-20 (Chinhawk) has been deemed operational.

https://twitter.com/xinfengcao/status/973115121051385857

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Did they at least pay a fee for the design?

hahah...that was a good one.

They actually bought a number of civilian class S-70s in the 80's...and proceeded to reverse-engineer them (in typical 80's-90's PLA fashion). There are also some rumors that they got some tech from the chopper in the Laden raid, although I'm not sure that they got much from it. The first prototype of the Z-20 flew in 2013..and the program had been very quiet for a while.

Their recent media pictures suggest that they have proofed the design and moved to production (they have very big needs for medium transport helicopters). The helicopter has a 5 blade main rotor and indigenous engines producing more Hp than the American T700s (they need more oomph for operating them in Tibet).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 1, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

MrYenko posted:

Anyone who sells anything to China at this point should just be assuming that they plan on stealing it and producing themselves.

Btw...after what happened with J-10B, I was rather surprised that the Russians decided to sell S-400 SAMs and SU-35 planes to PLA in 2015.
Both systems finished delivery this month.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 1, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

aphid_licker posted:

What are public estimates of CEP derived from? Can you rely solely on hard-ish open source evidence like the looks of the missile in the fluff pics and videos or do some special sauce guesstimates about the state of the Russian semiconductor industry or whatever go into it?

Looks don't help much towards CEP and most public figures are either estimations based on the maturity of a country's rocket industry combined with a number of factors (like guidance type(s) etc) or simply de-classified historic data.

The Russians have some pretty accurate rockets. The Americans have the most accurate.
Since the late 70s / early 80s, accuracy became a non issue for both.

Personally, I really liked the way the Soviets approached the TOPOL project. That particular one was nasty, in that it was both very mobile and quick to launch.

A couple of examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIzXI-mlJjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyRyAIAM2-c

The way the cover is designed to smack the TEL while disengaging is simply too Russian.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Another one that was too Russian, was the Molodets. Especially the express version.

Here, with the appropriate music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoKkOocaPls

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Barcley posted:

What are all those explosions that go off as the rocket leaves the tube about?

These are pyrotechnic charges, separating the sabot parts (that keep the rocket firmly attached to the tube) from the rocket body.

Valtonen posted:

So is the TEL manned during launch or are the crew laying in cover half a mike away hoping not to die?

It is not a good idea to stay close to an ICBM TEL, when it is firing. The sound alone is enough to kill you. Those things are big enough to send things to orbit (the first TOPOL video was a satellite launch actually, from a converted rocket).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 2, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Both powers tried to play a lot with the reaction times, so as to get a strategic advantage. The soviets tried to push M/IRBMs to Cuba in the 60's, so as to cut the US response time to one third (and make them remove their own missiles from Turkey/Italy). Then they started thinking about fractional orbital bombardment (nuclear warheads sent to orbit, ready for use), and it's a good thing that SALT II happened.

In the 80's, NATO deployed Pershings and GLCMs to catch the Soviet silos before launch. The Soviets decided to move a lot of ICBMs to train and TEL based mobile platforms, so as to retain a good second strike cap (SS-24/25). As Soviet SLBMs became more accurate, US tried to first make a rail based ICBM (first concept for the MX missile that became the Peacekeeper), and then started developing a road mobile ICBM (Midgetman).

It's a good thing that the cold war eventually ended by the 90's, because the whole thing was becoming crazier and crazier. Reading things like Operation RYaN and Able Archer 83 for example makes you think that things did not go extremely south due to pure luck in the end.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 2, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Ah yes I remember hunting for Russian Sfrog missile TELs during my training

That was ye olde artillery designation for Mars and Luna unguided rockets, meaning Free Rocket Over Ground. Later tactical missiles like Tochka, Oka etc were designated as SS- (land based surface to surface missiles), since they were guided. ;)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

God help us all, the Chinese are starting to go anime.

PLAN South China Sea Fleet, a week ago.

The above are with regards to this.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-idUSKBN1H3135

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

What happened with that Apache attack that got shredded in 2003? Poor planning?

IIRC just about every Apache involved was a write off due to battle damage or at least needed massive repair.

That was the Karbala attack. Some very brutal moments for the Apache.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

Please tell me that last image is supposed to be the ghost of Wang Wei, the dumbshit who killed himself by cutting in front of an EP-3.

Pretty much.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Carth Dookie posted:

Genuinely curious what you're referring to with this. What do you think the Australian forces have/had that they don't really need?

The Australian military procurement history is almost as hilarious as our own (Greece's).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Btw, an extra reason for the Viggen pilots learning about short landing techniques was the Bas 60 and Bas 90 air base operation systems they used during the cold war. This was also baked in on the actual aircraft design (the large canards having flaps themselves, the landing gear and the bulky airframe).

Essentially, the Swedish had produced a great number of additional road runways, utilizing the highway grid in the country and in case of war the idea would be to disperse aircraft and personnel from the main air bases to those krigsbaser (wartime air bases) all over the country. The groundcrews were trained to be highly mobile, secure communications were devised to command and coordinate the decentralized SAF assets and by the end of the cold war the Swedish had devised a grid of more than 150 runways across the country, many of them being simple spans of existing highways close to their main bases.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 9, 2018