Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'd do an effortpost on just how insane Team B was, but I'm really tired right now, so I'm requesting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Screw the C-17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96A0wb1Ov9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7SQ546xRk&NR=1

C-5 ICBM launch bitches

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

B4Ctom1 posted:

I saw the Berlin Wall fall from a tiny TV screen while on alert.

I knew a guy who was in the Berlin Brigade (US) on 9 November 1989. Says it was the most amazing thing he's ever seen in his life.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

By 1986 or so 55% of all pop culture had to either start (Mad Max) or end (99 Luftballons) with the inevitable nuclear apocalypse.

Nothing like air raid drills in elementary school to really make you focus on your future.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Uh, they fielded quite a bit of this in the form of the Linebacker system (now retired but saw action in OIF) and the Avenger system, which we still have today.

They didn't start fielding the M6 until 1998, which is significantly after the Warsaw Pact packed up and went home. For most of the Cold War, the US fielded the previously mentioned Vulcan / Chaparral combo which were outdated almost as soon as they were fielded. US field anti-air just flat out sucked.

And christ, the attempt to replace it with the Sgt. York was a staggering disaster.

The Patriot wasn't fielded until 1984 (I think).

On the other hand, as was pointed out, the Soviets were producing a loving poo poo-ton of different systems from the SA-6 (which gave the Israelis such a nasty surprise in '73) to the Tunguska in '84.

Of course, since US policy during the Cold War was openly "Yeah, if the Soviets start winning we will cheerfully drop nukes on West Germany to stop the Soviet Hordes, okay" this lack of air defense didn't really matter that much I guess.

As an aside, ever since 73 Easting or so, the popular perception of modern US forces is like it's War of the Worlds and we're the untouchable Martians in our invulnerable death machines. Everyone forgets the 1967-1982 years when we would show up to NATO exercises in our pinnacle-of-1963 technology M60A1 behemoths with crews full of drugged-out felons and the rest of NATO would look at us like the red-headed bastard stepchildren we were.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a little bit.

However, if you look back at that era, the Vietnam War basically cost the US Army almost an entire modernization cycle. Started and canceled programs include the MBT-70 which was supposed to replace the M60 tank. Instead we ended up with the M1, which while far superior didn't really enter service in great numbers until the mid '80s (and originally had a gimped 105mm gun anyway). Hell, the Marines were still using the M60 as a front-line tank in Desert Storm.

edit: anti-armor? Don't even get me started on the loving Dragon, goddamn

edit: I am editing this nearly four years later to clarify that the Sgt. York was supposed to replace the Vulcan, not the Patriot.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 12, 2015

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Also, the SGT York was a disaster, but it was never intended to replace Patriot. It has a totally different role. The SGT York was supposed to be a maneuver shorad AAA system, whereas Patriot is a mobile long range SAM which can only fire when emplaced. Maybe I'm not understanding you.

Mobile US air defense sucked. That was the original point. The Linebacker and Avenger weren't fielded until well after the cold war, while the Soviets were in love with the idea of field mobile guns'n'missiles and poo poo.

Also pretty sure that the Patriot wasn't deployed until the mid '80s.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Senor Science posted:

Oh man, that Su-25 is one sexy beast!

And speaking of Peru, it's interesting they were the only South American nation that uses Russki stuff.

Not only did Peru use Russki stuff, they had a Maoist-flavored commie revolutionary group named the loving Shining Path who hung dead dogs as their calling card and the president of Peru was ethnically Japanese. Peru is like that kid in the cafeteria who just HAS to be different from everyone else.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

kill me now posted:

In fact it was such a cool paint job that when the Navy decided to decommission VF-84 in '95 the Tomcat community refused to let the livery die and VF-103 took on the Jolly rogers insignia.

FDNY Engine 255 / Ladder 157 "The Jolly Rogers" used to have a massive picture of an F-14 and the insignia inside their firehouse. Not sure if they still do.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Sunday Punch posted:

This is incredible.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Dont MANPADS have a major drawback in regards to target aquisition and identification in that you're basically depending on the operator to not fire on friendly helicopters?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

_firehawk posted:

Honestly, If the seals didn't have enough time to destroy the rest of that stealth helicopter, why couldn't the military have hit it with a missile strike from a drone? I can't believe there were no drones in the area.

Probably because the raid was going to cause the pro-Western elements in Pakistan enough problems without capping it off with an airstrike in the local equivalent of Highland Falls.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Sunday Punch posted:

^^^ Terrifying and hilarious at the same time!

Here's a Lockheed concept from the 70s:

A big boring flying boat right? Actually it's more like a cross between an AC-130 and a warship. Called Seasitter, it was designed as a Sea Control plane, and armed with a 105mm gun sticking out the port side, two 20mm CIWS guns, a Seasprite ASW helicopter and a bunch of Lance missiles in vertical launchers.

It's like something you'd find in an Ace Combat game.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Sunday Punch posted:

New background found, A-7 Corsairs loaded for bear. Also everything else appears to be on fire.

Click for full size.

Goddamit, the whole world might be on fire from the nuclear armageddon, but we are dropping these loving 500lb bombs!. SIOP demands it!

I heard once when someone actually sat down and examined nuclear war plans back in the '50s they had things like the Navy executing a nuclear strike on a naval base while a B-52 had just finished nuking a Soviet airbase a half mile away, and in any event a half-dozen ICBMs and SLBMs were obilterating the place in any event.

Overkill and fratricide all over the place, which was why SIOP was created I guess.

edit: corrected SIOP mistakes

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 28, 2011

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

This thread makes me feel like I am reading a bunch of old 1980's Microprose manuals.

And if you've ever read 1980's era Microprose manuals you would know this to be high praise.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

This post originally made in error. Move along.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

That's awesome.

What's not so awesome is that a few marines were left behind on the beach during the evacuation. They were captured and executed a few days later.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flanker posted:

I need to know more

edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_T-50

I wonder what the NATO name will be. Voting 'Foreskin'

I'd go with 'frottage' myself

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

I wonder how big of a brick Pakistan is making GBS threads?

Eh, ever since India and Pakistan went nuclear, the convential arms race really isn't that much to get worked up about.

On the other hand, if India deployed a viable ABM system, Pakistan would freak.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

Think that fighter could carry a small nuclear bomb?

So could a Gremlin hatchback but I don't see anyone getting too worried about the pinnacle of 1970's AMC technology.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

priznat posted:

Isn't that a Ford Pinto?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

I promise it's a gremlin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADINMjjtHvc

Clearly a gremlin. You are correct sir.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 6, 2011

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

Yes but couldn't a stealth aircraft become a first strike game changer in their MAD doctorine. Especially multiple strikes on Pakistani nuclear forces to maybe bring them off of the table and eliminate the counter strike capability before the Pakastani's even know what hit them?

Short answer: no.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Back in the day, graduation from a military academy gained you a commission, but not a specific service. You could graduate the USMA and get a Marine commission if you so desired, or go to the Naval Academy and join the calvary. Even back then it was quite unusual.

Things may have changed today.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Then again, there was that Serb who managed to shoot down a F-117 with soviet era exported equipment.

There was a really good AAR written up from his point of view; what was interesting is the amount of effort the ground commander put into simply staying alive in the face of NATO SEAD missions, plus the role that HUMINT played.

Four acronyms, not bad.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Frozen Horse posted:

I was thinking more about the big ear-trumpets you used to see as a way to get a bearing on aircraft and for artillery counter-battery fire back in WW1. With modern electronics rather than ears, a phased array over a broad area of countryside could tell you exactly where everything in the air is, similar to passive sonar.

Sort of. Sound waves reflect and get blocked by terrain in supposedly predictable but in reality very comples and flat out wierd ways. Low-level aircraft could still use terrain masking. High level aircraft would probably be going fast enough to render targeting data useless.

Neat idea though. Kind of like shotfinder.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flanker posted:

Hohohoholllyyy shiitttt!

THAT is how you fire someone!

I don't like your attitude, therefore I have no choice but to eject you from this super sonic death trap over Asia.

This is hilarious. "Major, you don't have the right stuff. You're fired!" Pulls ejection handle.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Couldn't dense pack be defeated by a very precise time-on-target?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

LavistaSays posted:

My house is about 3/4th of a mile beyond the flight line of the 106th air rescue wing NY ANG base, which is a pararescue facility today but was once a fighter interceptor air wing. At least 2 squadrons (4 I think) of special operations capable personnel, and one of the eastern most heavy-lift capable runways that can land B52's or C5's in the us means I'm pretty well hosed in a nuke Exchange. I'm glad the cold war has ended.

But if there were an invasion, or resource war our air wings runway, plus long islands barrier beaches and natural harbors I always figured the Russians would want to take the area intact, as a foothold into the eastern us theater of war.

Long Island had a shitload of tertiary targets through the '80s what with the Grumman facilites and airports. Go back far enough and you've got the nike-hurc sites in Long Beach and the radar at Montauk.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

LavistaSays posted:

Used to be a missile complex about 5 miles up the road. The sheriffs use the silos for blowing up confiscated fireworks today.

I figure jfk and lga were both smoking holes, either the Russians were already targeting them, or our own forces would crater the runways and blow the fuel depots while withdrawing in a conventional fight. The same goes for the big suspension bridges out of LI, and NYC's tunnels. New York city would be a huge mess with numerous economic targets.

There are some fighter wings and ground forces but not much armor around in the decisive first few hours. With such a lack of forces I could see a couple ekranoplans slipping across the Atlantic, coming into the protected peconic bay and rolling tanks down sunrise highway. About 7 miles from beachhead to the 106ths flight line. Then they pull plays from the old Afghanistan invasion and ride troops in while transmitting as airliners.

This is what happens when you do drugs and watch Red Dawn.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I remember being told that the OPFOR unit at the JRTC got their Chaplin a copy of KGB field uniform and designated him the political officer. Not sure if it's true or not.

I did meet some OPFOR guys who could sing the "internationale".

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Holy crap I had no idea that thing was so huge.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The best part of the cold war was Microprose games and the accompanying manuals. First game I ever bought was F-15 Strike Eagle, my favorites were Red Storm Rising, GS2K and M1TP2.

The last was Gunship!, which suuuuuuucked.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

NosmoKing posted:

More accurate now.

I think I mentioned it in the thread already but the amount of fratricide that would have occured before they got SIOP sorted out was hilarious.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Baconroll posted:

I think if it came to a full exchange then most neutrals would get hit. The Brits would likely pop one on Argentina for old times sake.

The letter to sub commanders under Thatcher was meant to simply say 'Strike Back'.

PS- Avenge Yorktown!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Considering that Red Storm Rising doesn't go nuclear real fast and the NATO response would have been tactical nukes, it's sort of fundamentally flawed.

That airmobile ICBM thing seems insane and also strangely logical, what got it shitcanned?

They handwave the tac-nuke thing away by giving NATO air supremacy on the first day along with a few other things- hitting some major river bridges in the first five minutes and so on. The East Germans also forbid use of CBW as a condition of their cooperation.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

You left out the inspiration for Pearl Harbor: the british attack on the Italian Navy at anchor.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

So did I. :ohdear:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

priznat posted:

Were the Falklands the first conflict where air launched anti ship missiles were used? The Argentinan Excocets were a very big deal and did some significant damage (Sinking HMS Sheffield and the Atlantic Conveyor).

The conflict really exposed how lacking the air defenses on the ships were, with a couple others getting sunk by A4s dropping bombs on em.

"Six better fuses and we would have lost".

The Falklands War was a very, very close run thing for the British. They came quite close to not being able to kick the Argentinians off of the islands.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Israel does a ton of poo poo the US isn't happy about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Scratch Monkey posted:

The German talent for gathering men and using them to create out of whole cloth effective fighting groups is testament enough to their field level officers' ability to think on their feet. Even the general officers in the Wehrmacht, the guys who talked to Hitler on a regular basis, had relatively little trouble ignoring him when they knew that his new dumb plan or order would get them all killed.

Tom Kratman account spotted