Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

McNally posted:

Oh, aircraft carriers totally carried nukes. There was a Stephen Coonts novel about it once. :v:

Battleships carried nukes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

_firehawk posted:

Why Can't America ever put cool Camo on their jets?

We do...

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sunday Punch posted:

What if the Russkies had beaten the US to the moon?

Then it would have been a new race to send a man to Mars.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Also the building was most likely full of intel that would be impossible to recover if it was blown up.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_art posted:

Perhaps the most enduring nose art of WWII was the shark-face motif, which first appeared on the Bf-110s of Luftwaffe 76th Destroyer Wing over Crete, where the twin-engined Messerschmitts outmatched the Gloster Gladiator biplanes of RAF 112 Squadron. The Commonwealth pilots were withdrawn to Egypt and refitted with Curtiss Tomahawks off the same assembly line building fighter aircraft for the AVG Flying Tigers being recruited for service in China. In November 1941, AVG pilots saw a 112 Squadron Tomahawk in an illustrated weekly and immediately adopted the shark-face motif for their own planes. This work was done by the pilots and ground crew in the field.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Any particular reasons why we shouldn't just cancel the F35 and build more F22s?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Here's the cockpit view.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

It's a little earlier than "Cold War", but I figure this is the best place to post these. I got a ride on the EAA's B17, "Aluminum Overcast" this morning. I don't have many photos of the interior because I didn't want to spend time looking through a viewfinder instead of actually enjoying the flight, but here's some of the exterior.

I did strap my Contour HD video camera to my head for most of the flight, so I'll post some video once I get it edited.

And no the M2 Brownings were not functional. :(

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

According to Wikipedia, of the remaining 13 flyable B17's, only one is an F model and all the rest are G's. Also, the one F is flyable, but isn't currently being flown.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 19, 2011

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot to post the video of my B17 flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnhI2M-NHg

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

NecessaryEvil posted:

That's sad. My dad was a pilot back in the 80s.

My dad flew them for over 30 years for the Navy, US Customs and CBP.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Propagandalf posted:

In the summer in clear weather, you don't get below freezing point till about 10k feet. So if they cruise at 7k-8K, it'll get cold enough. 9K is where you need an oxygen mask for extended periods of time. Go over 10k ft without a mask and you'll pass out in 3-5 minutes.

I've been on mountains at ~10K for quite a long time and not passed out, so why is it different in a plane?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Gtab posted:

:words:

Whether he deserves it or not, Helldump was closed for a reason.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

joat mon posted:

For those of you who don't know this story: http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat/

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

priznat posted:

42 years ago today (Jan 23, 1960)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

:words:
Cyrano4747 parachute found.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

winnydpu posted:

I spoke with an employee last summer, and he said the government bought them and we'd never see them again.

An N-number search seems to indicate they're owned by these guys: http://www.meridican.net/

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Stroh M.D. posted:

It had a second unique feature - a rear driver, who had a full set of controls to drive the tank in reverse at a high speed.

I'm surprised it's not French. :smuggo:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Noshtane posted:

I think the best hope we had of defeating Soviet invaders would be to turn the occupied part into a Vietnam scenario with less horrifying tropical diseases and more frostbites.

It'd be pretty ironic if the Russians invaded some place and they were turned back by cold weather.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Baconroll posted:

Even ignoring the type 45 destroyer, if the Argentinians were attacking the Falklands then I'd hope Buenos Aires to be hit with an ICBM from a nuclear sub.

Maybe they'd get the point this time then.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The 'prise is a very tired ship that would have been retired long ago if sufficient CVN hulls had been available. I don't know about the Kitty Hawk but she's also a decade or more beyond useful life.

Considering the Kitty Hawk was decommissioned in 2009, I think you're right.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

On the other hand, remember when that S&W executive got caught in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act sting? Small countries that are only looking to buy trucks, rifles, and maybe some body armor are also often the ones where the minister of defense is the president's brother-in-law or whatever.

FWIW that case was dismissed a couple months ago. http://fcpa.shearman.com/?s=matter&mode=form&id=297

I'll bet the defendants who took a plea deal are feeling a bit stupid right now.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is someone going to get yelled at for this?

I have a feeling if he just got yelled at he's probably really lucky.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRW-uD6n0vE

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

the V-bombers are awesome but we all know what the coolest Cold War nuclear bomber is

Wrong.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Beardless posted:

What's that Nasa prop plane right below it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTV_XC-142

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Oxford Comma posted:

The article says the B52 will be retired 30 years from now. Holy poo poo.

Assuming an Air Force officer in his early 40's was this plane's first pilot and he and his descendants each have children at 24, theoretically his great-great-grandson or granddaughter could be the one flying it to the boneyard at Davis Monthan.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

KillerKatten posted:

I just wish the US could somehow circumvent or just give no fucks about the test ban treaty thing, and fire off one large hydrogen bomb. Just one. Think of it, with modern high def, über slow-mo cameras with ridiculous lenses you could get some amazing footage. Timing it with the ISS or some satellite overhead to stream footage (would an h-bomb be visible from space anyway? one way to find out!) or some remote drones or something flying close'ish.

You wouldn't see all that much. According to this page the last time the US did an above-ground test was 1962, and the last time anyone (China) did an above-ground test was 1980. You can still see the effects of underground tests from above ground, but it's not nearly as impressive as a big ol' mushroom cloud. There's a lot less fallout sprayed everywhere though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca4D0-s8OsI

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Similarly:

Winston Churchill posted:

There are voices which assert that the bomb should never have been used at all. I cannot associate myself with such ideas. Six years of total war have convinced most people that had the Germans or the Japanese discovered this new weapon, they would have used it upon us to our complete destruction with the utmost alacrity. I am surprised that very worthy people, but people who in most cases had no intention of proceeding to the Japanese front themselves, should adopt the position that rather than throw this bomb, we should have sacrificed a million American, and a quarter of a million British lives in the desperate battles and massacres of an invasion of Japan.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Did NATO countries ever send aircraft over to Warsaw Pact countries for airshows?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Memento1979 posted:

Canadian Naval Officer pleads guilty to spying for Russia

Do you think at some point in time his Russian contact told him to clean it first?

On, not in.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I saw this video posted in AI...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmln5aChX0s

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Phanatic posted:

It's linked to such an extent that you can inadvertently fire the gun if you manually rotate the barrels.

Just don't stand in front of the gun when you do manually rotate the barrels.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Also at the time the Soviets were supposedly our allies.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

grover posted:

US knew better by that point, and had already refused to sell USSR B-29s. US never really trusted USSR; they just feared Nazi Germany a lot more.

Hence the "supposedly."

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Somehow I doubt they named the ship after him.

It's the USS Gabrielle Giffords, not the USS Giffords.

vvvvvvvvvv that too

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

PhotoKirk posted:

So MY WIFE bought me a flight on the B-25 at the Lone Star Flight Museum. Anyone here been in a B-25? I'm hoping that we get to move around the plane and see the tail gun position, bombardier position, etc. I am stoked.

Not a B25, but I took a ride in a B17 in 2011. It was a blast; you'll have a blast. Make sure and get lot of pictures. I have a ContourHD with a head mount and I just wore it for the whole flight, then took a bunch of stills when we landed. I posted some of my pictures earlier in this thread, too. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768&userid=58669#post397774152

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Flikken posted:

That's not really an airplane.

The Be-200 is an airplane, not an ekranoplan.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Bud Day died today.

ETA: Col. Day in an F100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9s6t1whZp8

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Mortabis posted:

What do pilots for private aircraft do when the owner isn't traveling anyway? Does the owner hire a pilot for like, a weekend or something?

My dad is semi-retired and is a part-time contract pilot. He flies for a management company who hires him and few other pilots out to private plane owners; usually he's flying for the same 3 or 4 owners/planes. Sometimes he'll fly the plane to the destination and then take a commercial flight home for a couple days if the plane's going to be staying in one place for a long time. Other times if it's a short duration at the destination, or it's a long-distance trip, he'll just wait at the destination. IIRC he gets paid by the day, no matter how long he's actually flying.