Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!

kalstrams posted:

I had a 8800GTX that died in a strange way, at the same time as 8800GTXs of a few of my friends (within two weeks from mine).

Interestingly, my 8800 GTS gave up out of the blue back then, I am still convinced a driver screwed up the fan speed control causing overheat, or an overvolt problem or something...

replaced with a hd5750, I don't think an AMD is on the cards again, the drivers were... not great

edit: also a Palit :tinfoil:

x239marine fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I just bought a dualshock 4 and I'm using ds4 tools to use it on PC, but I just found these drivers http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver and I was wondering if there are other solutions and what would happen to be the best one. Specially because the touchpad feels really loving bad right now and I'm not sure if that's supposed to be like that.
Also, is there a better thread or forum to check for tips for this? The PS4 general thread has nothing (and search isn't working).

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
For the record, I bought an 8800GT way back then and it's still working today. :v:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I've had the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s for years and love the sound, but have had so many problems with the lovely speaker cables they came with. There's also a common problem with the DIN plug in the back that plugs into the sub, people have had theirs actually break off because it's so cheaply built. Mine hasn't done that, but I just have to be careful not to push the sub back against the wall too far or the speakers will start to cut out. If I weren't lazy and actually knew something about speaker wiring I could probably rewire it all, but as it is I've put up with it because I really do like the speakers. I just wish they hadn't skimped so much on these issues.

Maybe they've fixed it since then, it's probably been about 10 years since I picked these up (they were also $200 at the time). The fact that they've lasted this long is a good sign I suppose.
Update on this ancient post, I was skimming through old posts in this thread because I'm a weirdo, and this made me remember I found a guy on Ebay who does repairs for these. I finally got around to going through the process a few weeks ago, and for about $15 and shipping, he replaced the crappy cord it came with. I now have zero problems with my speakers, even though they're like 10 years old at this point. All this time it was just their awful cord causing the problems. Just do a search on Ebay for "repair service only Klipsch DIN plug" if you have old Klipsch 2.1s that are cutting out on you. Apparently it's an easy DIY fix too, but I don't know my way around a soldering iron, on top of having to buy one and replacement cable for about the same price anyway.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AirRaid posted:

For the record, I bought an 8800GT way back then and it's still working today. :v:

Mine died within a year and a half and the shop's warranty gave me enough money to get a 9800 so I can't complain. The 8800 is the nvidia that lasted me less ever.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

AirRaid posted:

Same here, it's in a different system now though.

Guillermus posted:

Mine died within a year and a half and the shop's warranty gave me enough money to get a 9800 so I can't complain. The 8800 is the nvidia that lasted me less ever.
Sorry to hear that, the 8800gt was a price:performance powerhouse that had a drat long breath in keeping up with demands imo.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Guillermus posted:

This is why I always buy EVGA. Their customer service has always been awesome when I've had an issue

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zedd posted:

Same here, it's in a different system now though.

Well, yes.

I've bought 2 new cards since then. A 250GTS which was alright, and a GTX560 which I am still running now. Holding out for the GTX800 series to get something new and shiny now. It's not a huge rush for me since the 560 runs 99% of what I throw at it pretty well.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

AirRaid posted:

I loved how good the 8800GT was, but the stock fan was so terrible. And down here in Texas, it was a constant lawn mower. I was surprised mine lasted long as it did (only finally choking when playing Skyrim).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

macnbc posted:

This is why I always buy EVGA. Their customer service has always been awesome when I've had an issue

This so much. Seriously, don't be a cheapass and try to save $20 by buying awful garbage like Palit, those always die because they have the cheapest Chinese capacitors and components possible, whereas my EVGA 8800GTX lasted over 7 years of 24/7 uptime and was only removed because I upgraded to a 580GTX a couple years ago. The EVGA motherboard both cards have spent their lives in is still going strong and has never had an issue.

I get trying to build a budget machine, but it is almost never worth it to buy the cheapest off-brand vid card/mobo/ram/PSU. Always stick to reputable manufacturers with good warranties. You're much better off slightly downspeccing your motherboard to a budget model from a good brand like Asus/Asrock or Gigabyte to stay under budget than to do it by buying off-brand components.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Palit GPUs are totally fine now because they are Nvidia only and greenlight is a thing.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I once had an EVGA card crap out on me once, and they let me come to their local office to swap it for a fresh card instead of dealing with postage. That's some A++ customer service right there. I certainly don't expect that in the future, but they've cemented my loyalty for a while.

I've also had good results with ASUS, including motherboards, so they're also at the top of my list.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've settled on MSI, Corsair and Asus for all my PC needs and have yet to be disappointed by their build quality or customer service.

Man building PCs is so much less of a chore than it used to be! :corsair:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

Palit GPUs are totally fine now because they are Nvidia only and greenlight is a thing.

Greenlight only sets standards for noise, heat, and power draw, it specifies nothing about the quality or longevity of components. Palit is still cheap garbage using the cheapest, most-likely-to-die-prematurely components. I'm sure they meet Nvidia's standards just fine for the three months until the caps start bulging.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Am I right in assuming that, short of MotioninJoy, there's no good way to get a Dualshock 3 working on PC, and that it's better to just get a wired 360 controller because the alternatives seem irritating/shady?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I think the Xinput wrappers are the way to go for them.

baram. fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 15, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

zonar posted:

Am I right in assuming that, short of MotioninJoy, there's no good way to get a Dualshock 3 working on PC, and that it's better to just get a wired 360 controller because the alternatives seem irritating/shady?
Yeah, just use Xinput wrappers.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Baram posted:

I think the Xinput wrappers are the way to go for them.

neetengie posted:

Yeah, just use Xinput wrappers.
Cheers, both, got it all working! Much appreciated.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For purposes of emulating PSP and PS2 games, is there any big reason why I'd want a Dualshock 4 over a Dualshock 3?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Vegetable posted:

For purposes of emulating PSP and PS2 games, is there any big reason why I'd want a Dualshock 4 over a Dualshock 3?

For function? Not really. But I think the DS4 is a more comfortable fit, the triggers feel better, and the whole thing seems higher quality. The pad is nice to have for emulating a mouse in (the decidedly rare) case you might need to use the mouse to adjust an emulator setting and are too lazy to use your actual mouse.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I kind of wanted to use the movement controls on the DS4 to use it as a driving wheel on Sonic Kart. It's probably better to just use the analog stick but it might be neat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't imagine using a wheel that isn't locked in a fixed position attached to something. I never understood how people played Mario Kart with those weird wheel wiimote attachments.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Do most people use the built in 360 controller drivers on PC or is there a better alternative?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do most people use the built in 360 controller drivers on PC or is there a better alternative?

I haven't had a problem with them. Do you have a specific issue?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

priznat posted:

I've settled on MSI, Corsair and Asus for all my PC needs and have yet to be disappointed by their build quality or customer service.

Man building PCs is so much less of a chore than it used to be! :corsair:

IMO it has less to do with mobo brands, and more to do with mobo design has gotten increasingly simplified due to more and more functionality integrated directly onto the CPU itself and overall power draw has also gone down a ton. Reliability certainly HAS no way but up with a Haswell with integrated PCIe/memory controller + <5W southbridge chip compared to a 2004 Prescott at drawing 130W with a hotter 2-chip chipset.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doodles posted:

I once had an EVGA card crap out on me once, and they let me come to their local office to swap it for a fresh card instead of dealing with postage. That's some A++ customer service right there. I certainly don't expect that in the future, but they've cemented my loyalty for a while.

I've also had good results with ASUS, including motherboards, so they're also at the top of my list.

Even though I buy other brand cards. When ive owned EVGA ive always been impressed when you call support its just like, some guy at their office. Not a call center.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RIP Steam Thread.

How did the PC port of Dynasty Warriors 8 turn out? How is that game in general? I enjoyed DW4 and 5 back in the day but stopped right around there.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

RIP Steam Thread.

How did the PC port of Dynasty Warriors 8 turn out? How is that game in general? I enjoyed DW4 and 5 back in the day but stopped right around there.

I've had zero problems with it. It's a perfect port, aside from the minor issue of it not using xbox 360 icons for the buttons when I'm using a 360 controller; although the buttons themselves did what they were supposed to automatically.

As for the gameplay, it follows the standard pattern of improvements over the earlier games. More battles, more characters, etc. This one does a much more complete telling of the Three Kingdoms story, including a Jin kingdom option with the characters and events from the end of the book, and has enough between battle information and cutscenes that you know what's going on without having read the book. Although you can easily skip everything if you don't care. There's branching paths in all the campaigns, a ton of difficulty levels and drops, and an ambition mode where you play randomized battles to build up your camp.

So it's definitely worth getting if you're a fan of the series, although it's still going to be quite familiar.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 18, 2014

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I like my CM QuickFire Rapid, but is there a way to illuminate the Print Screen key? I can never remember which one it is, both it and Scroll Lock don't light up. Constantly find myself using the glow from under my mouse to find which key is which, no bueno when you need to grab a screenshot of something quickly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sab669 posted:

So I like my CM QuickFire Rapid, but is there a way to illuminate the Print Screen key? I can never remember which one it is, both it and Scroll Lock don't light up. Constantly find myself using the glow from under my mouse to find which key is which, no bueno when you need to grab a screenshot of something quickly.

Put a post it note above it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Get something that lets you remap screenshot to a better key instead.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

You could always get a couple custom key caps, though maybe not worth it just for print screen. They seem nice as a set though. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohrddwVQqg

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Caddrel posted:

You could always get a couple custom key caps, though maybe not worth it just for print screen. They seem nice as a set though. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/

Have you tried it? it looks great but I am worried of these pretty keycap lifespan.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That actually sounds pretty neat, but I feel like an carrying around a console-like controller (and tablet) is the antithesis of portable gaming.

Would I like something more powerful than a 3DS with a better library? Hell yea. Do I want that? Not really :(

Not saying that the shield has a better library, but I just mean I'd like something that did.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Altran posted:

Have you tried it? it looks great but I am worried of these pretty keycap lifespan.

I haven't but as far as I know it's just the caps, and not the underlying switches which aren't being replaced. Unless you mean paint wearing off, which also seems unlikely.

I'd get some of those myself by I have the QuickFire Stealth and they only explicitly support the Rapid.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Man Nvidia must be rolling in cash for them to keep throwing it into R&D money holes like this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sab669 posted:

That actually sounds pretty neat, but I feel like an carrying around a console-like controller (and tablet) is the antithesis of portable gaming.
I don't think I would ever buy it for portable gaming. But as a remote streaming-playing thing - maybe. Depends on the price tag, of course.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kalstrams posted:

I don't think I would ever buy it for portable gaming. But as a remote streaming-playing thing - maybe. Depends on the price tag, of course.

I read somewhere on Reddit that the 16 GB version will be $299. Probably $50-100 more for the 32 GB version. But it has an SD slot, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
If you already have an nVidia 600+ series card and an android device, you can stream to it using limelight. I can get a 720p 60 fps stream going to my Galaxy S3. Also, I think valve will get their streaming thing working on android clients sooner or later.

• Locked thread