Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sorry guy, but the joystick you just bought was kind of designed for milwank and simulators, and anything else actually doesn't really play very well with it.

That can be fun though. I want to buy one of those things and just play Audiosurf with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The days of Microprose and Jane's flight sims are long gone, sadly. The fact that those HAD to abstract flight models and controls made them a lot of fun.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Does MAME support Force Feedback on the G27? I wanna try Daytona with the whole setup going.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Thanks for your great advice, guys. Looks like if I want to have fun flying I need to tolerate some milwank (after replaying Crimson Skies); I think I'll make do. Skydrift is a definite buy, but after checking the demo out it's definitely more of a controller game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I would pay so much money for a modern Tie Fighter or X-Wing. That depth of space sim really worked for me. I also recall it being hard as balls. It's not the type of game that gets made anymore.

(:corsair:)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know if this has been plugged here yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOlKYrz3t8

While not strictly a TIE-clone, it definitely takes a lot of inspiration from the series. The first placeholder cockpit was a copy of the TIE fighter cockpit, actually. The sole dev, Kairo, is fairly active in the thread too.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
I tried to check, and I'm pretty sure but not certain: if I have one Microsoft wireless receiver can i use 4 360 controllers with it simultaneously? What about 3 360 controllers and 1 wired xbone controller? I've never done this multiplayer PC thing and don't want to drop more money that I have to if it doesn't work

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

tophet posted:

I tried to check, and I'm pretty sure but not certain: if I have one Microsoft wireless receiver can i use 4 360 controllers with it simultaneously? What about 3 360 controllers and 1 wired xbone controller? I've never done this multiplayer PC thing and don't want to drop more money that I have to if it doesn't work

You can def use 4 wireless 360 controllers simultaneously with it. I would think the 3 and 1 would be fine.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I don't know how representative it is, but when I tried playing Spelunky with a friend using a wireless 360 pad and a wired one, only one of them would work in-game. I don't know if it was a game issue or a limitation in Steam or whatever, but we could only play together after I ditched the wireless and plugged in an old wired non-MS controller I had lying around.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I've played Sonic Racing Transformed with 1 wired 360 and 3 wireless before, so I imagine the Bone controller in the mix wouldn't change anything.

Xegaus
Sep 27, 2006
King of nothing!
I can confirm that in most cases wired (Xbone) and wireless(360) work fine together, at least in Mount your Friends and Gang Beasts. Albeit there is confusion on which controller is first player, second player, ect. Its sometimes doesn't match what the controller says, but hey it works!

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
So im getting sick of deleting games to make room for more, I think its time to upgrade my 320gb hard drive. Im thinking a 3TB should be quite a nice upgrade?

Its crazy the sizes of installs today. Wolf:TNO and Wasteland 2 are like 60 gigs together.

Pogo Stick Eagle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 22, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

So im getting sick if deleting games to make room for more, I think its time to upgrade my 320gb hard drive. Im thinking a 3TB should be quite a nice upgrade?

Its crazy the sizes of installs today. Wolf:TNO and Wasteland 2 are like 60 gigs together.

Anyone who has less than 1TB in this day and age really needs to upgrade. HDDs are dirt cheap.

If I were building a new PC today I think I would probably get a 250GB SSD (and make that the system partition) and a 2TB HDD. You'd get the best balance of speed and storage space that way.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I have a 128GB SSD for system and a 250GB SSD for Games, but then I also have a 150Mbit cable connection so it's no big deal to install something if I want it.

I also have ~4.5TB of other storage. :v:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

A hard drive has only two possible states: "Full" and "New".

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

One of the best upgrades I've bought for my computer is a 500 GB SSD. They're really not THAT expensive now anyway, plus the price per MB goes down while the performance tends to go up the bigger you get.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
SSD's are awesome. I would never use anything else now for a boot drive. :wotwot:

Did any of the latest consoles ever get SSD's? It's a real shame the next-gen consoles weren't fitted with them by default.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

nnnotime posted:

SSD's are awesome. I would never use anything else now for a boot drive. :wotwot:

Did any of the latest consoles ever get SSD's? It's a real shame the next-gen consoles weren't fitted with them by default.

My home desktop has an SSD but my work computer doesn't, and it's awful.

You can put SSDs in the PS4 I know, but you have to do that aftermarket - there aren't any models with them off the shelf. The process is officially supported though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Consoles need ssd's badly. It would make even more appealing buying digital copies instead of blu-rays and then installing them.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
But you guys also have to remember console games have no compression anywhere so most games are 30 gigs+

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Basically the hold-up with SSDs and consoles are:

1. The space issue, see above.
2. Cost.

Console gamers think a $500 console is outrageous where PC gamers see that as a decent upgrade cost. Even with savings from ordering in bulk there is no way for Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to make a console at an affordable price point with SSDs still.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Except for the WiiU which has flash based memory.

All 32GB of fast access heaven :v: .

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
How anyone can play a shooter with a gamepad is beyond me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Depends on if the game is designed around the limitations of a gamepad. Just shoehorning a gamepad control scheme into a PC game doesn't work. For one, without proper acceleration the camera always feels awkward. A good example of a good gamepad shooter would be Resident Evil 4. Just being in third person doesn't make it a gamepad game either. For example, if you tried to play APB Reloaded with a gamepad you would get slaughtered.

As I played Halo 3 online years ago I've often wondered what it would be like to use a mouse and keyboard. Everything moves so slowly and methodically that I'm not sure if it would have helped.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As I played Halo 3 online years ago I've often wondered what it would be like to use a mouse and keyboard. Everything moves so slowly and methodically that I'm not sure if it would have helped.

It 100% would have helped.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Depends on if the game is designed around the limitations of a gamepad. Just shoehorning a gamepad control scheme into a PC game doesn't work. For one, without proper acceleration the camera always feels awkward. A good example of a good gamepad shooter would be Resident Evil 4. Just being in third person doesn't make it a gamepad game either. For example, if you tried to play APB Reloaded with a gamepad you would get slaughtered.

Doesn't excuse the fact that you can't aim and move at the same time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Boiled Water posted:

Doesn't excuse the fact that you can't aim and move at the same time.

This is a bad example because that was a conscious design decision. If I recall, you can move and shoot in Resident Evil 5.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is a bad example because that was a conscious design decision. If I recall, you can move and shoot in Resident Evil 5.

Still not in 5, but you can in 6.

It still mostly worked in 5 but the greater number of faster moving enemies and QTE's to fend off the attacks (of which the prompts may or may not actually appear or actually work if they do appear in time and you manage to perform them) they'll do when they get close meant it didn't work nearly as well as in 4.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There is nothing you can do to an FPS that would make it play acceptably on a gamepad without turning it into a game of some other genre.

Not that this stops people trying, because nobody but bitter old Quake players seem to miss the games where incredible precision in movement and aim actually mattered.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There is nothing you can do to an FPS that would make it play acceptably on a gamepad without turning it into a game of some other genre.

So, what genre are Call of Duty and Halo?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I would strongly never recommend anyone to use a gamepad in a shooting in a multiplayer setting but you know, who cares if it isn't MP then?

Granted there are few things like arena shooters that I feel like will never ever work well with a gamepad due to the speed and reaction times needed but frankly you could probably still do it anyway with a gamepad if you spent enough time at it (like playing Dark Souls with a guitar hero/rock band controller)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Praseodymi posted:

So, what genre are Call of Duty and Halo?

They're FPSes, which don't play acceptably on gamepad. This ain't rocket science. :v:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're FPSes, which don't play acceptably on gamepad. This ain't rocket science. :v:

They do though.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Gobblecoque posted:

They do though.

For single player they're passable I guess because the action and shooting is so slow+simple, I still wouldn't want to play on one.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've played plenty of FPSs on both PC and consoles and I've never noticed PC shooters to be much more appreciably complex or faster outside of old 90s FPSs like Doom or Quake.

Keyboard+mouse vs. controllers doesn't really matter for 99% of games or gamers unless you're a multiplayer turbosperg.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played against a guy on BF4 pc that claimed that he had to play infantry with gamepad because he used it to fly a chopper, we told him to just leave it aside until he hopped into one and he told us that was cheating. :psyduck:

Also, I've played well over a thousand hours of CoD games on my 360 with goons and it works nicely as everyone is stuck with a gamepad but It'll never be as good as the good old kb+m combo. Even games like RE still work better with kb+m (even RE4 with the beta patch).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

nobody but bitter old Quake players seem to miss the games where incredible precision in movement and aim actually mattered.

I dunno, a lot of people seem to be excited about the unreal tournaments return and you have those 2 new fps arena shooters coming out next year too. Genre seems to be on its way for a come back.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's this game called Dark Void where you're a 3rd person shootyman but then you press a button and suddenly you're in a plane flying game. I play that with a gamepad, it's p. nice.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I played the entirety of Borderlands 2 with a controller and it ruled because I could sit in my recliner sofa, put my feet up and stuff crispy snacks into my mouth without gunking up my keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

I played Borderlands 2
Ew.

• Locked thread