Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

Man, it is loving hilarious how crazy the internet is right now about the whole console parity thing. Makes me so happy to be a PC gamer - no silly console FPS and resolution limitations here :)

Apart from all the ports that are frame locked to 30 or 60 due to either laziness or hard coded engine limitations from consoles (which is also laziness just further back in the Dev cycle), then yeah you're spot on.

It's still better to be on PC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.

AirRaid posted:

Apart from all the ports that are frame locked to 30 or 60 due to either laziness or hard coded engine limitations from consoles (which is also laziness just further back in the Dev cycle), then yeah you're spot on.

It's still better to be on PC though.

True enough about the hard limits, but I think in most cases they're getting patched out by intrepid modders very quickly. Still way way better than being at the mercy of game developers limited by hardware that was severely dated even before it hit the market. This so called next-gen is bound to bring in more people to PC gaming.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I hope so. Every time I meet someone that plays games I'm always asked which console I have, and am always met with the strangest looks when I say I only have a PC. I'm not sure what people think about the PC at this point, but I'm not sure if the average Joe is aware of how behind current consoles are.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

When it's their only frame of reference, how could they know?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

PC gamers are really special!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

True enough about the hard limits, but I think in most cases they're getting patched out by intrepid modders very quickly. Still way way better than being at the mercy of game developers limited by hardware that was severely dated even before it hit the market. This so called next-gen is bound to bring in more people to PC gaming.

It might in 5 years once these consoles get long in the tooth. You know, kind of like exactly what happened last gen.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.

notZaar posted:

It might in 5 years once these consoles get long in the tooth. You know, kind of like exactly what happened last gen.

Well that's the thing, if you think back on the start of the previous gen, circa 2006, The situation was a bit different than it is right now. It seems to me that people are more aware of the options available to them - the whole parity thing wasn't an issue back then. I mean I'm sure more people right now realize that instead of buying a dedicated gaming device to play Asassins Creed Unity at 900p/30 FPS (at best!) they can get a machine which has no "generations", can run pretty much 99% of any game ever released, and can play the aforementioned AC game at 1080p, full anti aliasing and 60 FPS without breaking a sweat.

I mean just check out NeoGAF, every single game released for the new consoles gets a huge thread about why this or that game runs better on ps4 vs Xbox, all sorts of conspiracy theories about developers being paid off to neuter their game, so to speak to make sure it runs better on one or the other... It's insane.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think you're vastly overestimating the public care about this. The bulk of people buying call of duty don't give a poo poo about fps or how many pees are on their TV.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

notZaar posted:

I think you're vastly overestimating the public care about this. The bulk of people buying call of duty don't give a poo poo about fps or how many pees are on their TV.

If they put out a CoD game with half the usual framerate in multiplayer I guarantee you the bulk of people buying the game are going to complain about how it feels, even if they don't specifically know the cause.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

Man, it is loving hilarious how crazy the internet is right now about the whole console parity thing. Makes me so happy to be a PC gamer - no silly console FPS and resolution limitations here :)

Except for cases like Final Fantasy 13 just coming out for PC resolution-locked at 720p.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

macnbc posted:

Except for cases like Final Fantasy 13 just coming out for PC resolution-locked at 720p.

This only matters for people not willing to spend a minute looking for ways around that. At the very least, it's nice to have the option to 'fix' it via community patches.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Reacean posted:

This only matters for people not willing to spend a minute looking for ways around that. At the very least, it's nice to have the option to 'fix' it via community patches.

It also matters if you care about companies putting out products of quality instead of lovely ones.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Which FF character has the hottest feet?

e: Sorry, I though I stumbled into Gamefaqs for a minute.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
There hasn't been a good FF game in about two decades.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mcvey posted:

There hasn't been a good FF game in about two decades.

Impossible, Final Fantasy IX came out 14 years ago.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Reacean posted:

Yes, this surely is something you can't expect from the people getting the money for the game.
How are the community fixes for other graphic settings coming along?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

Impossible, Final Fantasy IX came out 14 years ago.

I was a fan of VII and VIII, but IX left me cold. It could have been that I was burnt out, but how would you sell me that game if you had to?

I have it on the PS3, but haven't really committed to sitting down with it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hav posted:

I was a fan of VII and VIII, but IX left me cold. It could have been that I was burnt out, but how would you sell me that game if you had to?

I have it on the PS3, but haven't really committed to sitting down with it.

I was the same way, actually. I think it was partially FF burnout, and partially that sci-fi settings appeal to me more than high fantasy.

Also where FF6-8 tried to become increasingly mature in its storytelling (with decidedly mixed results), FF9 felt comparatively kiddie pool.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
FF9 is still my favorite FF. It seems like a light hearted romp but 9 gets just as dark if not more so than 7 and 8 by the middle of disk 2. The only thing that sucks about it is the slower paced combat, but that is easily ignorable once you get into the game.

I bought it to play on my Vita a while back but haven't gotten around to it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I liked the FFIX combat except for the Trance system, which felt like a terrible implementation of limit breaks. It was almost never active when it would have been useful. The rest of the game was great though, at least 14 years ago.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

While everyone's playing the new Borderlands today, I'm gunna be playing this sweet rear end game that just dropped today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319410/

:staredog:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sab669 posted:

While everyone's playing the new Borderlands today, I'm gunna be playing this sweet rear end game that just dropped today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319410/

:staredog:

I didn't know they still made games that weren't soccer for the PS2.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Unavailable in Australia :(

What's the joke?

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

VodeAndreas posted:

What's the joke?

"Americans will watch anything."*

*"Duck Dynasty" based game. :(

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

VodeAndreas posted:

What's the joke?

America, mostly

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Survey to help me figure out where to spend my accessory monies:

Anyone go from a 360 controller to an Xbox One controller on the PC? If I don't already own an Xbox One, is it worth it? The wired 360 controller I bought for PC purposes has leftward drift and now I'm not sure if I should send it in for repairs ($???), buy a 'Bone controller ($50), or just use my PS4's controller with a wrapper (free.)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Just use your PS4 controller. The Xbone controller is only slightly better than the 360 controller.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Which makes it leagues better than the PS offerings. Boo-yah.

Seriously though, I recently upgraded from a 360 pad to an XBone (after wearing out the X-button shanking Orcs in Shadowman of Morder), and they feel almost identical. Only buy one of you vastly prefer the 360 controller over your PS4 controller.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, it seems they're going to be selling a PC kit for the holiday season, and I may buy that if I can get some kind of replacement plan from Best Buy or whatever. I don't want this to happen again.

Or I just may use my PS4 controller, since using it wired doesn't seem to break it's Bluetooth link to the console and I like it anyway.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey I'm thinking of getting a new PC for games but I ain't tech savvy enough to make one. So is there a solid enough computer that you guys could recommend? I know a lot of gaming PCs tend to be overpriced but there's got to be one that's good. All I want is something solid to get through this gen. I don't care about being able to play at high video settings, I'm perfectly happy on low, all I care about is that the game runs fine in general. Thanks for any help.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

BgRdMchne posted:

PC gamers are really special!

Not but we are objectively better.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Prebuilt stuff.

Are you looking for a laptop or desktop, first of all.

Second, you really should consider learning to build yourself- it is genuinely really easy and this is coming from a guy with zero mechanical skill or generally "handiness".

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Desktop, forgot to mention that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think you'll get any answers here other than "learn to build a PC" because really, that actually is the best course of action. It doesn't take very long to do and is surprisingly simple.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
PCs are a heck of a lot easier to put together now too. No more razor sharp pc cases, modular power supplies, sata cables vs big fat annoying ribbon cable bullshit.. It is a golden age.

Does Newegg assemble pcs for a fee? Might be worth that if you're really worried though. Just pick the components (or they probably have prebuilt options) and away you go. The techiest part is probably screwing the motherboard down to the case.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Being able to put a PC together with no tools is amazing too

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
You probably know someone who will assemble a PC in exchange for beer. Ask them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I'd put together PCs for people just cuz it's fun. But now anyone who wouldn't do it on their own just buys a laptop anyway :(

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
There's usually a big thread in SH/SC for building computers and they're pretty helpful nerds and will answer whatever questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

It's also surprising how easy it is to build a computer once you know where everything goes. With the exception of troubleshooting, actually building the drat thing is relatively simple.

• Locked thread