Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, I sometimes use a wireless Logitech mouse and I don't notice any difference between it and my wired Razer mouse. Honestly the only problem is that the battery might run out of juice at an inopportune time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jehde posted:

I know it sounds like not-help but you really don't want wireless for gaming, the input lag is always bad.

Horseshit, there's no noticeable input lag on my G700s and that's backed up by everyone who's used it.

The battery life, on the other hand, is terrible.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Microsoft wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0 continues to be the best mouse of all time, fifteen years later.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jehde posted:

I know it sounds like not-help but you really don't want wireless for gaming, the input lag is always bad.

I dunno like, I use a 360 wireless controller on my PC and I'm sure my terrible Pinball Arcade scores can't be blamed on input lag.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ramagamma posted:

I dunno like, I use a 360 wireless controller on my PC and I'm sure my terrible Pinball Arcade scores can't be blamed on input lag.
I'm surprised you didn't mention lag for playing chess from a wireless controller. 'Pinball' is not amongst the type games that are victims to a susceptible input lag from a controller - generally that is only a concern for an FPS game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kalstrams posted:

'Pinball' is not amongst the type games that are victims to a susceptible input lag from a controller - generally that is only a concern for an FPS game.

This isn't true at all.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This isn't true at all.
Maybe, last pinball game I played was some 10 years ago. From what I remember since then, it never was matter of precision and speed of that of a nice FPS game, such as Quake.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The entire point of pinball is precision and speed.

And I believe The Pinball Arcade did suffer from some input lag on PS3 when it was first released. If you can hit the ball at the exact moment you need, it's virtually impossible to get a high-score

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The entire point of pinball is precision and speed.

And I believe The Pinball Arcade did suffer from some input lag on PS3 when it was first released. If you can hit the ball at the exact moment you need, it's virtually impossible to get a high-score
Fair enough, though by precision I mean that in pinball, if I recall correctly, you press one button and 'a hand' flops automatically, as in it is dimensionless timing, though now that I am halfway through writing this post, that does not really make much difference with the argument I have had.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lets be honest, input lag isn't what's holding you back from those space-age k/d ratios in CS:Go.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ramagamma posted:

Lets be honest, input lag isn't what's holding you back from those space-age k/d ratios in CS:Go.
Neither I play CS:GO nor do I blame the input lag for pitfalls in my performance in those FPS games I currently play, if anything.

Edit: Also, k/d is a dumb statistic to go by in most cases.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 8, 2014

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Horseshit, there's no noticeable input lag on my G700s and that's backed up by everyone who's used it.

The battery life, on the other hand, is terrible.

Yeah, as much as I love the Logitech mice and the G700s in particular, it might as well not have had a wireless function considering it runs out of power after a few hours. I use mine cabled because otherwise it doesn't even last me a full evening.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I used to have a wireless Logitech mouse, and despite that being years ago, there wasn't any noticeable lag at all. What I have found out though after going to a wired Razer, is that it's not really worth it anyway. The only benefit is a slightly cleaner desk (it still had the transmitter on a cable, not unlike an xbox wireless receiver nowadays) but then you had to deal with pairing, buying/charging batteries, higher cost, and a heavier mouse. Simply not worth it for the general use case where the mouse doesn't leave the area of a small square on the desk.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

mobby_6kl posted:

I used to have a wireless Logitech mouse, and despite that being years ago, there wasn't any noticeable lag at all. What I have found out though after going to a wired Razer, is that it's not really worth it anyway. The only benefit is a slightly cleaner desk (it still had the transmitter on a cable, not unlike an xbox wireless receiver nowadays) but then you had to deal with pairing, buying/charging batteries, higher cost, and a heavier mouse. Simply not worth it for the general use case where the mouse doesn't leave the area of a small square on the desk.

I'm interested in a cleaner desk. I'll deal with the battery changes and a slightly heavier mouse if it means the only cords coming out of my computer are for power and the monitor.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Totally agree with this. I know there is plenty of room to go from my current 1920x1200 resolution but at some point it feels sort of like overkill. Diminishing visual returns for extremely demanding computing power requirements and costs to produce the resources I'm looking at.

I went to 1440p a year ago and it's a big difference from 1080p, I have screenshot screensaver and the difference is really noticable when a 1440p shot comes up so I assume that 4k will be similarly gooderer. I know I won't be maxing everything out at 1440p any time soon, it was just a thought for the future. I ended up looking at 1440p in the first place purely because my 7950 was handling everything easily and I was getting something like 130FPS on Dishonored. Doesn't seen so long ago 800x600 seemed razor-sharp.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dont see that much point in going into resolutions/pixel densities so high you need your eye to start touching the screen to see the boundaries.

Yes I can see the argument for highest res=lowest jaggies but with AA getting so computationally cheap relative to going up another resolution step I dont see the point.

Maximum useful view distance in any video game is the point where a given object becomes a single pixel. In any kind of game or simulator where long distances are presented (Arma and just about any flight simulator,) higher resolution becomes incredibly valuable.

There is a limit, based on perceivable pixel sizes, which is tied to the eye's distance from the screen, which means that there is merit in the argument that sub-50" 4K TVs are a dumb idea, but with our eyeballs so much closer to our monitors, there's room for improvement, at even higher-than-4K resolutions.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Doesn't seen so long ago 800x600 seemed razor-sharp.

800x600 was razor-sharp in the days when most people had 14-15" screens. In 1999 I had a 17" one and could play Unreal @ 1600x1200 with my Voodoo 3 3000 and was "woah, I can't see pixels, this is amazing". Nowadays with a 23" screen and playing stuff at 1080p I usually only set AA on x2 or x4 and I'm more concerned on having smooth framerates than getting fancier lights (like in BF4 where smooth>eyecandy).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
gently caress a smooth framerate, sick nasty graphics 4 lyfe

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Walton Simons posted:

I went to 1440p a year ago and it's a big difference from 1080p, I have screenshot screensaver and the difference is really noticable when a 1440p shot comes up so I assume that 4k will be similarly gooderer. I know I won't be maxing everything out at 1440p any time soon, it was just a thought for the future. I ended up looking at 1440p in the first place purely because my 7950 was handling everything easily and I was getting something like 130FPS on Dishonored. Doesn't seen so long ago 800x600 seemed razor-sharp.

If you're watching 1080 screenshots on 1440 they're going to be noticeably blurry due to not being in their native resolution, so I think you're looking at some confirmation bias reinforcement there.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Fair point about the native res, I just hadn't thought of that. I do notice the difference in a lot of games, though (really!), especially ones where you're looking at faraway objects a lot like X3.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm interested in a cleaner desk. I'll deal with the battery changes and a slightly heavier mouse if it means the only cords coming out of my computer are for power and the monitor.

Honestly the only wireless mouse I would use at this point is the Logitech G602 if only because of its insane battery life (if you're not using Xtreme G4mer mode). Even those ones that come with charging docks defeats the purpose of a cleaner desk.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Modern gaming: an immense embarrassment of riches.

:negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously the solution is to saw a hole in your desk and mount a trackball through it, running the wire underneath. :colbert:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I relocated my PC to a place where it doesn't have as much air as before so just to be sure I started monitoring the temps a bit and now I love my 970 even more. Per factory settings the fans start turning at 60 celsius and playing Far Cry 4 it only goes to 65. Alien Isolation... 61. How does that even work?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nvidia has been killing it the last few years with really amazing stock cooling solutions. I always used to buy an aftermarket HSF combo to replace the stock cooling on cards, but there's no need these days. Nvidias stock coolers are quiet and efficient, it's awesome.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the coolers were entirely the responsibility of the vendors while Nvidia just provides the GPU and reference circuitry.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

notZaar posted:

I thought the coolers were entirely the responsibility of the vendors while Nvidia just provides the GPU and reference circuitry.

He might mean the actual nVidia reference cards, which you can buy. I believe they're Best Buy exclusive though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

A few vendors use stock NVidia cooling, including EVGA, though EVGA also sells cards with their own cooling. As of the 700 series, it looks like this.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

macnbc posted:

He might mean the actual nVidia reference cards, which you can buy. I believe they're Best Buy exclusive though.

It's an MSI, but I was always under the impression that the cooling solutions are mostly the same and heat generation pretty much down to the chip architecture.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

GhostDog posted:

It's an MSI, but I was always under the impression that the cooling solutions are mostly the same and heat generation pretty much down to the chip architecture.
MSi is another company that does stock and non-stock cooling. The Twin Frozr is actually a good deal quieter than the stock cooling.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Usually the first batch of a new card are all reference coolers. Then as time goes on some of the various manufactureres stick with stock, and others introduce a premium tier with better, quieter cooling. But yeah, even Nvidias stock cooling is amazing these days, doubly so compared to the leaf blowers we had way back when.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Great Joe posted:

MSi is another company that does stock and non-stock cooling. The Twin Frozr is actually a good deal quieter than the stock cooling.
And with that he means that it still sounds like a jetplane taking off. :smith:
I loved how silent my 8800gt was, and after 3 years of this 560ti I still think it's way loud.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Wow I had no idea these vendors are basically just glorified middlemen, I assumed they made all the parts except the GPU itself. Talk about lame.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All the GTX 970/980 cards seemed to follow "MORE FANS = BETTER" and looked like the manufacturer just stuck some cheap poo poo they had lying around onto the card. The reference GTX 970 I bought looks amazing and is far quieter than either of the two 3rd party GTX 660 TI cards I had.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Zedd posted:

I loved how silent my 8800gt was, and after 3 years of this 560ti I still think it's way loud.
Get PrecisionX and try to underclock your GPU. Might make the fan idle at a lower speed.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone use the nvidia shield thing with AMD cards, with like splashtop or something? I was thinking about picking one up for a fancy portable emulator deal, being able to stream PC games to it while I'm at home would put it over the top. Not interested enough to buy an nvidia card, but it would be novel.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zedd posted:

The 560ti is one of the noisiest cards there's been in years. I'm on a 770 now after a 560ti and it's practically silent in comparison. Fermi was hot as balls.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fil5000 posted:

The 560ti is one of the noisiest cards there's been in years. I'm on a 770 now after a 560ti and it's practically silent in comparison. Fermi was hot as balls.
Welp. :v:
Ah well, It still keeps up with releases to my liking and I am starting to use my TV as a monitor more and more so it's further away from where I play nowadays.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Speaking of GPU noise, anyone out there got a 970?

If so, how bad is your coil whine? I've heard reports that it's pretty bad, and I'm debating getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

macnbc posted:

Speaking of GPU noise, anyone out there got a 970?

If so, how bad is your coil whine? I've heard reports that it's pretty bad, and I'm debating getting one.

I have an MSI 970 and I get zero coil whine unless I start running a game at 400fps or something. Conversely a friend has returned four EVGA 970's before just giving up on it all together so it's just luck of the draw.

• Locked thread