Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RIP the Logitech F510.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Now that seating has come up, do you have a super expensive ergonomic chair? Probably the best peripheral nerd/desk accessory I ever splurged on was a Steelcase Leap v2, which I was able to find used at an office furniture liquidator for only(!) $300. Brand new they'll run you $800+.

Also do you have a good set of speakers? True audiophiles will tell you to get an actual stereo receiver setup and run your computer through that, but I've had the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s for many years now and still love them, it was well worth the $200 I plunked down on them ages ago.

Those super expensive office chairs are just priced for business, same as professional software licenses. You're not supposed to buy poo poo like that out of pocket.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

notZaar posted:

Those super expensive office chairs are just priced for business, same as professional software licenses. You're not supposed to buy poo poo like that out of pocket.
Well sure, you don't pay retail for them, because retail tends to be $1000+. But really they will run you around $800 if you find a seller and buy one new, there's no way around that.

Everyone thinks it sounds nuts until they use one for a while, but they're incredibly well made and last forever, which is why you find a used one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
After eleven years, my dirt-collecting Apple keyboard is beginning to bite the dust, with certain keys becoming stuck and impacting my ability to play. Should I really buy a mechanical keyboard for the price of two regular rear end membrane keyboards, when most of my keystrokes are just making poo poo posts here and sometimes playing Dota?

I guess my problem is I read a lot of "bought mechanical, so glad, will never go back" posts around the internet, but rarely see any "I prefer rubber domes to mechanical, so glad I didn't spend that money" posting. Are non-mechanical gaming keyboards (Logitech, Steelseries, etc) that bad?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
I realize it's common sense, but I still want to caution against buying any furniture without first trying it in person. I bought it on the basis of recommendations here on SA (which is actually my mistake, in retrospect), but the Leap just didn't work out for me personally, despite obviously being a well-built and well-designed chair.

The chair thread in SHSC is pretty nice, though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

So, things about mechanical keyboards that are measurably better than rubber domes: the boards are generally more durable, keys are rated for far more keystrokes, key rollover is much better (meaning you can press more keys at once), and there is more variety in actuation force, keyboard form factors, customization and switch feel. As for how it feels to type on, well, that's subjective. Try the various MX switch types if you can. Some people swear by mechanical keyboards, especially for extended periods of typing. In my opinion, you get diminishing returns by using a mechanical for gaming alone, but the improved key rollover characteristics might help out a little.

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 24, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can get a mechanical keyboard for around $40: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RK-6...anical+keyboard

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Craptacular! posted:

After eleven years, my dirt-collecting Apple keyboard is beginning to bite the dust, with certain keys becoming stuck and impacting my ability to play. Should I really buy a mechanical keyboard for the price of two regular rear end membrane keyboards, when most of my keystrokes are just making poo poo posts here and sometimes playing Dota?

I guess my problem is I read a lot of "bought mechanical, so glad, will never go back" posts around the internet, but rarely see any "I prefer rubber domes to mechanical, so glad I didn't spend that money" posting. Are non-mechanical gaming keyboards (Logitech, Steelseries, etc) that bad?

I may represent the minority, but my vote goes to $10 Wal-Mart keyboard. Mine has volume control on it, which is nice.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I may represent the minority, but my vote goes to $10 Wal-Mart keyboard. Mine has volume control on it, which is nice.

Yeah, same. I haven't seen a reason to look into more expensive mechanical keyboards personally.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I think a better deal would be getting an extra large bottle of sleeping pills, so you can kill yourself.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My 20+ year old IBM buckling-spring mechanical keyboard is still going strong. The worst thing about it is that all other keyboards I use feel inferior in nearly every way. So if you're going by life time, it's already worth the increased cost.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I have a mech keyboard sitting on the shelf cause turns out I love the cheapass chiclet keyboards I've been buyin every couple years and that's my lovely anecdote.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Craptacular! posted:

Depends what you're going to get. I have a Corsair K70 and I have no interest in any other keyboard, because the keys are raised on an aluminum base, which makes it super easy to clean, and it has the media keys and volume wheel that I want on a keyboard. Read up on the features various keyboards have and find out what you want. As far as the basic value of mechanical switches, I think they're worth it if you use your keyboard a lot. There's a much greater degree of precision, things like double tapping or pressing a button for an exact amount of time are much easier. Just make sure you know what kind of switches you want. The only things that might make you not want one are the finger strength required (if you have arthritis do not get a mechanical keyboard), and maybe the noise (although you can o-ring your keys and make them pretty quiet, or just learn not to mash them hard).

IMO it's a lot like buying good headphones, a good monitor, or a good desk or chair. It costs you more, but it will last you years and you'll use it every day, every time you use your computer. If you do buy a rubber dome keyboard, definitely buy the cheapest one that has the features you want. They're all the same, and the expensive ones are a complete ripoff.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I realize it's common sense, but I still want to caution against buying any furniture without first trying it in person. I bought it on the basis of recommendations here on SA (which is actually my mistake, in retrospect), but the Leap just didn't work out for me personally, despite obviously being a well-built and well-designed chair.

The chair thread in SHSC is pretty nice, though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243
It's definitely going to be down to personal taste, I had a chance to check out the Steelcase Leap in the office furniture store before I bought it so it wasn't a blind buy. It feels different at first but over time I've gotten to where it's hard to sit in anything else really. But yeah the chair thread would be a better place for this discussion, this isn't really in the PC gaming peripheral discussion. I just see it happen way too often where people will drop thousands on their PC and accessories, but be sitting in a $50 generic chair that falls part after a year or two.

The thing that's kept me away from mechanical keyboards is the noise, I feel like enough of a nerd already without the KLACK KLACK KLACK drawing more attention to the fact. I've had an Eclipse, which is now made by MadCatz, for years and it's been really solid.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The thing that's kept me away from mechanical keyboards is the noise, I feel like enough of a nerd already without the KLACK KLACK KLACK drawing more attention to the fact.
This just comes down to the switches. I had a Corsair K70 with MX Blues but I wasn't really using it for typing so I switched to an MX Red version and it's extremely quiet now. I definitely like it a lot more than the Saitek Eclipse II it replaced that was who knows how many years old.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This just comes down to the switches. I had a Corsair K70 with MX Blues but I wasn't really using it for typing so I switched to an MX Red version and it's extremely quiet now. I definitely like it a lot more than the Saitek Eclipse II it replaced that was who knows how many years old.

It can vary, I think. My Ducky Zero has MX red switches and it's very loud.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Monday_ posted:

It can vary, I think. My Ducky Zero has MX red switches and it's very loud.

That is you bottoming out the keys.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

ColHannibal posted:

That is you bottoming out the keys.

Partially, but even if I just press them down partway, they make a loud clicking noise when they pop back up.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
I added orings to my k70 with reds and its pretty drat quiet. People on skype can only hear it if I'm really mashing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pffffft. I unapologetically use MX Blues. (brown at work)

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...
I got a steal on a keyboard with mx greens, and they're definitely clacky, but even with my desktop mic being directly over it, it's barely picked up. also my fingers are buff as hell.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Just a reminder that #PCgaming is still up and active on Synirc for your irc needs

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

amitlu posted:

Just a reminder that #PCgaming is still up and active on Synirc for your irc needs

Do I access this through a fax machine, or one of those things where you put the phone handset into giant modem?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The thing that's kept me away from mechanical keyboards is the noise, I feel like enough of a nerd already without the KLACK KLACK KLACK drawing more attention to the fact.

Depends which colour switches you go for. Of the 4 main types, Blue are the loudest followed by brown which both have a tactile bump when the key is pressed in about halfway and the blues make an audible click on that. Blacks and red are linear so don't have that so are quieter. You can also buy o-rings to dampen the noise.

Mechanical keyboard are one of those things I always recommend to people who spend a lot of time in front of a keyboard. Gaming and coding and both bliss on a mechanical.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 25, 2015

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do I access this through a fax machine, or one of those things where you put the phone handset into giant modem?

Think of IRC like shipping channels in the oceans. Also everyone uses leetspeak, which is an obscure language few people speak, so you'll need a translator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 25, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Monday_ posted:

Partially, but even if I just press them down partway, they make a loud clicking noise when they pop back up.

Are you sure you actually have reds? There's nothing in their design would make a click on return, only when bottoming out.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Craptacular! posted:

dont buy a "gaming" keyboard, unless you want to pay extra for the little razer/steelseries/whateverthefuck label. if you want a mechanical buy a cherry, theyre the ones that make the switches for most mechanical keyboards out there and are cheaper.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Are you sure you actually have reds? There's nothing in their design would make a click on return, only when bottoming out.

The bump makes you tend to bottom out going down, because the resistance breaks and it's easier to finish pushing the key down. The key itself will clack coming up if you pull your finger off it quickly.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Digital Foundry released a video more or less about performance with the 2500k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwB1KRMpFdw

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
That's pretty interesting, as a 2500K owner.

Also why is that video 4 and a half minutes of benchmarks and 7 minutes of black screen?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

program666 posted:

Digital Foundry released a video more or less about performance with the 2500k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwB1KRMpFdw

Eh, he appears to be running the 2500K at stock speed - who does that? - and with DDR3-1333. I'd like to see the same video with the 2500K at, say, 4.3ghz and with DDR3-1600, which I think would be more representative of most user's setups.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Oh it's stock? I thought it was quite good already, and I mean good enough for 5 more years or even more, but now I'm really impressed.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

program666 posted:

Oh it's stock? I thought it was quite good already, and I mean good enough for 5 more years or even more, but now I'm really impressed.

I've noticed that in a lot of comparison reviews (old gen vs next gen), they don't bother overclocking the components. I wish they did, because that would provide consumers with a valuable additional data point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Das Butterbrot posted:

dont buy a "gaming" keyboard, unless you want to pay extra for the little razer/steelseries/whateverthefuck label. if you want a mechanical buy a cherry, theyre the ones that make the switches for most mechanical keyboards out there and are cheaper.

How cheap are the Cherry keyboards really? I paid $70 for my Corsair with Reds and the cheapest mechanical I could find on Amazon was another gaming keyboard for $40. Cherry brand ones on Newegg seem to go between $100 - 200.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

How cheap are the Cherry keyboards really? I paid $70 for my Corsair with Reds and the cheapest mechanical I could find on Amazon was another gaming keyboard for $40. Cherry brand ones on Newegg seem to go between $100 - 200.

I live in Europe, so they might be slightly cheaper here. I bought my Cherry MX Board Black for 49,90€, which is about 55$. Back when I bought it about a year ago, there were no cheaper mechanicals on german Amazon.

Another thing to keep in mind is, does the cheap mechanical you found use Cherry switches?

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 26, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Just got a corsair k70 cherry blue and it's quite good, much better than the old pos microsoft keyboard that I was using. Well worth the 120 bucks. I also got a corsair m65 mouse and it's kind of meh. Not worth the 60 bucks.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Has anyone bought one of the Nvidia Shield devices? Thinking of picking up http://www.microcenter.com/product/452980/Shield_Pro_4K_Streaming_Advanced_Gaming_Android_TV so I can play my steam games on my downstairs TV. Just wondering if I can connect multiple DS4's to it, and how the streaming performance is

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think you're better off buying a Steam Link for $50 if all you care about is streaming games.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

What's a good mouse for under £50? 5 buttons at most, no silly lights etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Praseodymi posted:

What's a good mouse for under £50? 5 buttons at most, no silly lights etc.

I have a Steelseries Kana - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kana-V2-Mouse-Black-DVD/dp/B00EVNR780 - It's a really good mouse, the baby brother of the MLG Progaming Sensei. It has a light on it (a soft glow on the scrollwheel which can actually indicate which DPI setting it's on) but it's in no way obnoxious. You can also turn the light completely off for all settings if you like.

Also available in white

E: Actually you can get a Sensei for under £50 too. http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Sensei-Raw-Rubberised-Mac/dp/B007N6HS3G

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 16, 2015

• Locked thread