Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I bought the g500 and holy poo poo the clicking does break quite fast, like 2 years of use tops. I was able to open it and fix it but it's not 100% anymore, that's for sure. Problem is, I now really want at least 3 features in my mouse:
- being able to switch between free-scrolling wheel and that other more rigid scrolling
- at least 2 side buttons
- being able to change dpi on the fly

Do you guys have a suggestion? I'm guessing it's kind of thought to come around a mouse with those 3 features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I really like the Logitech G600, it has the entire numpad on the side which may seem like overkill for anything short of a hot button MMO but it works well and it's extremely customizable, right down to the color and intensity of the LEDs.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I recommend the Steelseries Rival, its bang on £50. But do keep in mind it's an optical mouse. So while it doesn't suffer from acceleration problems that laser mice do, it won't work on all surfaces (you will need a mousepad) and they don't usually support those crazy high DPIs that the kids seem to love these days.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

the Steelseries Rival doesn't seem to have free-spinning scrolling, and while I don't really care that much for the other features I really want a mouse that is able to switch between detent and free scrolling. The mouse with a keypad on its side is good, but 3 keys on the side instead would be ideal.

The worst thing is that it's kind of hard to filter mouses that have that wheel feature.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

program666 posted:

the Steelseries Rival doesn't seem to have free-spinning scrolling, and while I don't really care that much for the other features I really want a mouse that is able to switch between detent and free scrolling. The mouse with a keypad on its side is good, but 3 keys on the side instead would be ideal.

The worst thing is that it's kind of hard to filter mouses that have that wheel feature.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse

This might be your jam then.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

yes, I heard the g502 was good, I'm just wondering how easily the clicking breaks considering my g500 was so fragile

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

program666 posted:

yes, I heard the g502 was good, I'm just wondering how easily the clicking breaks considering my g500 was so fragile

Did you try contacting Logitech to see if they could do anything?

They have kind of a bizarre customer service, where sometimes you do the standard RMA and maybe they can fix it, and other times they're all "What, you're products broken? And ten years old? We'd replace it, but we don't make it anymore, so we'll just send you our latest top of the line mouse and a mousepad and a t-shirt, free of charge."

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

program666 posted:

They say it's good for some 20 million clicks. I'd guess that's ok as long as you aren't pounding on it or throwing it during rage quits.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

both mouse buttons turned bad in less than 2 years just from normal clicking, like really bad, and I read lots of other people complaining about this

oh but the g502 is pretty much my only option, it seems that the free-scrolling thing only exists on logitech mouses so I guess that's it, thanks a lot guys

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The G500 relied on a tiny piece of copper for its spring mechanism, I'm surprised mine lasted as long as it did.

I have a G402 now but I doubt they've changed their production process that much.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

program666 posted:

both mouse buttons turned bad in less than 2 years just from normal clicking, like really bad, and I read lots of other people complaining about this

oh but the g502 is pretty much my only option, it seems that the free-scrolling thing only exists on logitech mouses so I guess that's it, thanks a lot guys
I have G502 and it holds well both lots of clicking and occasional slamming.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just got Battlefront and I am experiencing severe graphical glitches. The screen will constantly flicker to black, and other times blobs of light flash all over the screen like a disco ball. How do I troubleshoot this? I updated my video drivers (twice), and the problem doesn't go away even on lowest settings. I'm not having this issue with other recent games; this is the only one.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If you've got an Nvdia card, try rolling driver back to version 358.50.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I should expect this, since it's Beth.
Fallout 4 keeps crashing, well not the game itself but the Nvidia Driver. I have a 660ti and have updated to the latest driver (i dont remember which one exactly)
It can't be the temps since it peaks at 65C, nor the power since I have a 600W PSU and there arent any voltage drops or other power delivery problems, and It doesn't crash in any other game for that matter.

Any suggestions?
(win10 btw)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Try driver version 355.60 (or 353.62) and/or borderless fullscreen mode.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fallout 4 keeps crashing, well not the game itself but the Nvidia Driver. I have a 660ti and have updated to the latest driver (i dont remember which one exactly)
It can't be the temps since it peaks at 65C, nor the power since I have a 600W PSU and there arent any voltage drops or other power delivery problems, and It doesn't crash in any other game for that matter.

Any suggestions?
(win10 btw)

Not that I think that's your case but once I had this problem running borderlands 2 while using a really old ram stick on a new mobo. The men stick would pass memtest but would fail prime95 in some tests.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

program666 posted:

Not that I think that's your case but once I had this problem running borderlands 2 while using a really old ram stick on a new mobo. The men stick would pass memtest but would fail prime95 in some tests.

A couple of years ago, I had this same issue with video drivers crashing constantly, and it was also a stick of RAM. memtest didn't show any problems with it until I ran the test with one stick of RAM at a time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Any suggestions?
(win10 btw)

I'm not sure if you are, but I've found that Fo4 really doesn't like me overclocking my card. Sometimes I can get away with a modest overclock, but usually settings that would work fine in other games (like Skyrim, MGSV, etc.) will cause a driver-crash while playing Fo4.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not sure if you are, but I've found that Fo4 really doesn't like me overclocking my card. Sometimes I can get away with a modest overclock, but usually settings that would work fine in other games (like Skyrim, MGSV, etc.) will cause a driver-crash while playing Fo4.

Im running completely stock clocks on everything.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I have zero idea what this could even be, which is why I'm asking here.

I just jumped from a 7950 and 8gb of RAM to a 970 and 16gb of RAM. Yay me, right? And for the most part, yay me is correct, everything runs flawlessly now.

Except shooters. Doesn't matter when they came out, what company made them, etc etc. They are all loving shitshows. They aren't lagging, but it feels like I'm losing serious frames, and almost always in huge chunks at a time. It's especially noticeable in the gun sway, the gun will basically just jump around since I'm getting frames entirely cut out. If I turn quickly, the gun motion is just all messed up. And inevitably, after about 10-15 minutes of playing the game just shits itself, with everything suddenly breaking and becoming unplayable.

I have zero idea whats going on. These aren't new games like Black Ops 3, these are old games like Airborne, Syndicate, or Modern Warfare. Games I played fine on my 7950. I doubt it's the card alone, because it has almost no problems with other games/genres. Do I have some sort of Nivida feature turned on I don't know about that's conflicting with the games I'm playing? Is the 970 I bought secretly a piece of poo poo? What am I missing.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Did you format and reinstall Windows when you upgraded? Most people will say it's not necessary these days and in a lot of cases they're right, but if I was experiencing something like that I'd start from scratch.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Shot in the dark, but did you run a driver cleaning sweep when you switched over the cards?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It's a really old issue switching from ATI to Nvidia (or viceversa) leaves some files that make the cards not work properly. Use the utility to clean up or install from scratch (highly recommended).

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I am interested in a Xbox One wireless controller for PC for one specific feature, and I wanted to confirm whether that works with the PC. Like the PS4 DS4, the new Xbox One controller has a headphone jack for audio, so one can plug a headphone or headset there. Would I be able to get audio from my PC games that way? I know that works for the Xbox One, but I am not sure whether that is the case for PC.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'm not sure the wireless controller will even work properly on PC let alone the audio.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Xbox One controller works perfectly but wired. You need a micro USB cable. There's also a new dongle for PC that will allow you to use it wireless and same as the Xbox360 one, headphones will work.

Controller wireless dongle:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...e+controller+pc

Gamepad+dongle
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...e+controller+pc

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Is the wireless Win10-only or did they drop that strategy?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yep Win 10 only

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

How well optimized is Assassins Creed Syndicate?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure where else would be able to deal with this, so dropping it here unless someone knows of a better spot:

I just picked up an Xbox One Elite controller, for the sole purpose of "having extra buttons available on my controller". It does the buttons just fine, buuuuuuuut the Windows 10 "Magical Xbox remapping application" only allows me to bind the back paddles to existing front buttons (with the fantastic side bonus of deciding I actually really wanted nothing more in life to sign into my computer using my skype account's username and password :downsbravo:)

I tried pulling up joy2key, but even that app thinks the back paddles are actually front buttons. Is there any workaround for this? I've even tried intentionally downgrading the elite's drivers to a generic "xbox controller" driver to get joy2key to recognize the paddles as separate buttons, but no love.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Headset with mic in the $40-$60. What are my best options? My clip on mic died and my sennheiser with no mic are getting a bit aged though they work really, really well. Does Sennheiser offer a headset in that range that has a decent mic?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Reason posted:

Headset with mic in the $40-$60. What are my best options? My clip on mic died and my sennheiser with no mic are getting a bit aged though they work really, really well. Does Sennheiser offer a headset in that range that has a decent mic?

I spent more than that, but I managed to get a set of Sennheiser HD-360 pros, and a Blue Snowball desktop mic for about $110, all in. It's a pretty wicked setup. Since you already have decent cans, you could just get a good desktop mic. I don't know of a headset/mic combo that has audio anywhere near as good as these 360s, and the Snowball is a pretty awesome mic. I generally have a box fan running in the room, and it filters the extraneous noise pretty well. Plus, you can get real close and whisper into it and gently caress with people.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Are there any patches/regedits to fully remove the tracking and telemetry in Win10? I've heard of a lot of stuff that does some of the work but nothing 100% and this tinfoil hat is starting to chafe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lacedaemonius posted:

Are there any patches/regedits to fully remove the tracking and telemetry in Win10? I've heard of a lot of stuff that does some of the work but nothing 100% and this tinfoil hat is starting to chafe.

The 100% solution to not providing OS data to Microsoft is to not use a Microsoft OS. same goes for Apple.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Reason posted:

Try the Koss SB45. When my first pair broke I thought I'd upgrade, so I read a bunch of forums and went to a music shop to try out a bunch of headphones in the $80-$100 range - Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, AKG. None of them compared, especially when it came to bass, and I ended up just buying a second pair of SB45's instead.

(I wasn't even that shocked since Koss also makes the KSC-75, a $15 pair of cheap plastic earphones that run 60 ohm and compete with stuff several times more expensive. Those, too, I've purchased multiple times over the years.)

Avoid the SB49, though. They only add a volume control, which reportedly causes a perceptible loss in sound quality.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Logitech G35 is good and constantly discounted, I got a new one last year about this time for exactly $60. Positional audio in competitive games is the hottest poo poo since sliced bread.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Lacedaemonius posted:

Logitech G35 is good and constantly discounted, I got a new one last year about this time for exactly $60. Positional audio in competitive games is the hottest poo poo since sliced bread.

Fair warning, if you got a big head you will break the g35.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Tom's Hardware recommended these over the G35s, and they're only $50.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Monday_ posted:

Tom's Hardware recommended these over the G35s, and they're only $50.

I have the previous model of these (they're almost exactly the same) and have been super happy with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Das Butterbrot posted:

dont buy a "gaming" keyboard, unless you want to pay extra for the little razer/steelseries/whateverthefuck label. if you want a mechanical buy a cherry, theyre the ones that make the switches for most mechanical keyboards out there and are cheaper.
I wanted Cherry MX Browns and volume controls.

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

• Locked thread