Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The upgrades are basically to make 4k/VR marginally possible. In reality there will still be no actual 4k internal resolution games since even the upgraded versions aren't remotely close to strong enough to meet the requirement of at least equal framerates at that resolution.

It's going to have approximately zero effect on PCs, which already have a large 1440p market and get increased detail on ports anyway. You'll still be able to play any console port of this generation at 1080p with an oc'd 2500k and a 970 (which are going to be all over the used market for sub-150 after the new cards comes out), and a 980Ti will probably carry you through the entire generation at 1440.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's about to get a bit more difficult - both Sony and MS are planning on releasing upgraded versions of their current consoles to push developers to release higher quality versions of games. May spur a lot of PC gamers to upgrade alongside.

Sony have made it part of the deal that the 'neo' or whatever the end up calling it will have no exclusives or extra features so I doubt it will effect things much. I imagine Microsoft will have a similar policy.
And at least in regards to the NEO, the CPU is only being overclocked, not upgraded, so at worst its just going to be GPU upgrade.

Its an interesting direction for the consoles to take and I wonder if it will pan out in the long run and if it does what effect it will have on the PC scene.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's about to get a bit more difficult - both Sony and MS are planning on releasing upgraded versions of their current consoles to push developers to release higher quality versions of games. May spur a lot of PC gamers to upgrade alongside.

Ah poo poo, we're gonna see the return of N64 Expansion Paks.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Gobblecoque posted:

Ah poo poo, we're gonna see the return of N64 Expansion Paks.

Except you have to spend hundreds on an entirely new console instead of a small pak. I don't know what Sony and MS are thinking. They should have just not done midlife upgrades at all and used the manpower and resources to work on PS5/Xwhateverthefuckmswantstocalltheirboxthistime.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I started to imagine a console design where you can remove parts easily and replace them with better parts at your leisure instead of buying a completely separate console every few years, but then I realized that was just a PC.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Except you have to spend hundreds on an entirely new console instead of a small pak. I don't know what Sony and MS are thinking. They should have just not done midlife upgrades at all and used the manpower and resources to work on PS5/Xwhateverthefuckmswantstocalltheirboxthistime.

Doing this lets them get more money out of hardcore idiots (twice, in the case of people who also spend another boatload on a gimmicky VR headset that will get a grand total of 20 hours of use) while dropping the base SKU price to pick up more sales. It's way smarter than trying to do another console generation when this one still hasn't had a single truly good game come out yet.

The reality is as weak as these consoles are, hardware is not the problem with them (aside from the lack of SSDs). There just haven't been any really great games yet, it's been a pretty lovely few years.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The only reason I want a PS4 is for Tekken 7, Guilty Gear and King of Fighters.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tekken games, also general console exclusives.

I wonder how much weight there is in rumours of Red Dead Redemption 2 coming for PC.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Tekken games, also general console exclusives.

I wonder how much weight there is in rumours of Red Dead Redemption 2 coming for PC.

I hope it comes to PC because I ignored RDR on the 360 for years and then microsoft put it as free game on their games with gold program some time ago. I have to say that I completely missed a drat nice game until that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

Sony have made it part of the deal that the 'neo' or whatever the end up calling it will have no exclusives or extra features so I doubt it will effect things much. I imagine Microsoft will have a similar policy.
And at least in regards to the NEO, the CPU is only being overclocked, not upgraded, so at worst its just going to be GPU upgrade.

Its an interesting direction for the consoles to take and I wonder if it will pan out in the long run and if it does what effect it will have on the PC scene.

They're only saying that so people won't freak out about their PS4s. If this new version gets traction and has a big enough install base they'll put out exclusives for it eventually.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's silly not to expect a PC version of RDR2. Every other Rockstar game is on there. If the internet is to be believed, the lack of a RDR pc version is just because it never occurred to them to make one for some reason? drat shame.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If the internet is to be believed, the lack of a RDR pc version is just because it never occurred to them to make one for some reason?
Based on what I've read, it's because the code base was held together by duct tape and baling wire and barely shipped in a functional form for 360 and PS3 as is. The branch of RAGE it used was so modified that you can't simply drop the assets into the GTA V branch of RAGE and voila you have a PS4/Xbone/PC version. It's probably not technically impossible, but R* has certainly crunched the numbers and deemed it not financially viable to this point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wonder if that means it'll be difficult to emulate, it's probably going to be the only way to play it on PC for quite some time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Based on what I've read, it's because the code base was held together by duct tape and baling wire and barely shipped in a functional form for 360 and PS3 as is. The branch of RAGE it used was so modified that you can't simply drop the assets into the GTA V branch of RAGE and voila you have a PS4/Xbone/PC version. It's probably not technically impossible, but R* has certainly crunched the numbers and deemed it not financially viable to this point.

Yeah, this is what I've heard as well - it would take too much time and money to release it on PC, far more than they could ever hope to make back.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

notZaar posted:

They're only saying that so people won't freak out about their PS4s. If this new version gets traction and has a big enough install base they'll put out exclusives for it eventually.

Sony haven't even announced it yet. The 'no exclusives' line comes from the documentation that comes with the development kit. Yeah it could change but it's the T&C for developing for it atm.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 2, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Some of the stuff from the Leslie Benzies lawsuit has really confirmed that RDR development was an absolutely disastrous clusterfuck and it's amazing the game ever came out and worked. To quote Sam Houser "PLEASE help me/us get [Read Dead Redemption] into shape. I am a jabbering wreck right now. I need The Benz!" Pretty interesting and more or less confirms the rumors about why it's the only major Rockstar game to never get a PC port.

I still wish they would port LCS/VCS to PC though. I'd pay $40 for a two pack, they're loving great games.

notZaar posted:

It's just a more powerful version of the same hardware, there's no reason to do exclusives. Games can always be pared down a bit for the original version.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 2, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

Can someone walk me through setting up GeDoSaTo and what are particular good use-cases for it? I know it can do a lot of poo poo for a bunch of different games but I don't even know where to start, honestly. Setting it up for Asssassin's Creed II would be nice, if you need a particular example to look at.

I didn't get any response to this, any help?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
For any of y'all looking to maybe make a small form factor build, there's a new case in town that looks better than the Ncase M1, IMO.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33753221/dan-cases-a4-sfx-the-worlds-smallest-gaming-tower

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That's not a new case, that's a Kickstarter campaign. And the case costs 230 euro dollars holy poo poo.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Mung Dynasty posted:

For any of y'all looking to maybe make a small form factor build, there's a new case in town that looks better than the Ncase M1, IMO.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33753221/dan-cases-a4-sfx-the-worlds-smallest-gaming-tower

Not much smaller than this and this is not a scam.

https://youtu.be/MjDJNwAANwA

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

flatluigi posted:

I didn't get any response to this, any help?

I got it running about a month ago for a few games, so if you still don't have it working, here goes:

For first time setup, click on "Edit Settings", then make sure you have the following lines correctly set in the text file that pops up:

renderResolution AAAAxBBBB@XX (widthxheight@hz of what you're downsampling from)

presentWidth CCCC
presentHeight DDDD
presentHz QQ
(native width, height and refresh rate of your actual monitor)

There's a few other options you can mess with there like how to do the scaling, it's pretty well-explained. Then click on Whitelist and add the games you want to use it with, you want the name of the game .exe without the ".exe" part, there's a lot of games already in there so it's easy to figure out the format. Once you're all set up, just make sure it's running when you start the game and your new resolution should be available in the game's own display options.

The absolute best use case is simply setting both the width and height of the render resolution to twice those of your native resolution, but if you have a 1080p monitor like most people that'll be 4K so it'll only work if you have a high end card and want to play older games in ridiculously smooth-o-vision. Otherwise I believe setting it to something like 1.5x each and maybe using one of the fancier scaling options should provide a good experience.

Also if you have an Nvidia card probably just use DSR instead.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Mung Dynasty posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that tiny form factor = bad for performance/gaming? Maybe not as bad as it used to be but you're still gonna be putting out a bunch of heat, and the higher end components tend to be larger anyway. I wouldn't personally even go below a standard ATX size case, let alone anything smaller.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that tiny form factor = bad for performance/gaming? Maybe not as bad as it used to be but you're still gonna be putting out a bunch of heat, and the higher end components tend to be larger anyway. I wouldn't personally even go below a standard ATX size case, let alone anything smaller.
I've done mITX systems with almost every power-hungry card of the last few years (7970, GTX 680, GTX 980 Ti, etc.) and there aren't many issues with that form factor. It just takes a little more planning and research on which type of cooler you want on your graphics card, CPU, etc. and temps will stay perfectly fine.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you're doing air cooling then yeah, it's worse. You're making the case more cramped and your air flow will be restricted. And you have less room for bigger fans. If it's liquid cooling then it doesn't really matter as long as everything fits.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I spent some time yesterday reading about the GTX 1070 and drat.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

AirRaid posted:

I have a Corsair 250D [although mine is a MicroATX/Mini-ITX I guess it's just Mini now?]. It's designed so that the mobo sits horizontally on a tray, putting the videocard vertical right in front of a big filtered vent on the side. So, not only does it fit big rear end cards, their fans are blowing mostly directly out of the case.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kalstrams posted:

I spent some time yesterday reading about the GTX 1070 and drat.

makes me wish I hadn't sprung for a 980ti last fall :smith:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Watch the video I just posted that shows a shoebox size build with an 18 core processor and a Titan X.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

makes me wish I hadn't sprung for a 980ti last fall :smith:

You would have missed out on 8 or so months of having a 980ti though, which you can still sell and put that money towards a newer GPU. :)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to the 1070 hitting the $300 sweet spot in a few months. It's been a while since I upgraded.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

notZaar posted:

Looking forward to the 1070 hitting the $300 sweet spot in a few months. It's been a while since I upgraded.

This. Whoever hits 980ti performance for $300 will probably get my monies. Should be roughly twice as fast give or take.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Assuming the 480x or whatever performs as expected I might as well get a 970 once they hit 150.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I still don't understand why the 980ti is as expensive as the 1070. Why would I buy last gen when current gen does the same poo poo better?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wait a few weeks for the 1070 supply chain to stabilize and meet demand, you'll see some price changes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiMz1uGCXI

AirRaid posted:

If the video card and CPU cooler are right up against a big ol' vent, it's almost as good as an open air test bench. You don't have to worry about airflow if the air is right there.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Cardboard Box A posted:

If the video card and CPU cooler are right up against a big ol' vent, it's almost as good as an open air test bench. You don't have to worry about airflow if the air is right there.

I think the point he's making is that a lot of m-ITX cases won't fit a full sized card. So until nVidia starts making cards like the Nano, which itself is pretty good but not top of the line, you're limited in your choices. Not to mention you're definitely not gonna be using Crossfire or SLI, which are pretty much required for modern 4K gaming.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Mini ITX cases that fit full size cards has been a trend for a good while now. To pretend that mini-itx regularly necessitates a compromise in video card size is to live in 2010 all over again.

Heck, even the Bitfenix Prodigy is 4 years old now.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Case in point:

Full size ATX case, MSI GTX 1070 8G Armor. Had me worried for a second.

It's a Coolermaster Centurion case.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Monday_ posted:

I think the point he's making is that a lot of m-ITX cases won't fit a full sized card.
And a lot of mITX will fit a full-sized card, so it's a pretty terrible point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

objects in mirror posted:

You would have missed out on 8 or so months of having a 980ti though, which you can still sell and put that money towards a newer GPU. :)

Suppose that's true.

Overclocking aside, is anything a significant enough upgrade yet from the i5 4570 I currently have to warrant a new mobo/CPU (and RAM?)? I have a Vive now, and while most games run OK with my setup at good detail, more and more are starting to feel the crunch. Especially e.g. Witcher 3 at 2560x1440, it's a good thing that game can't go to 144hz at all or it'd be even worse!

• Locked thread