Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I didn't think HDTVs nowadays would have delay problems that bad. My plan for my next PC was to get a laptop with a good video card that I could hook up to the big screen to play games, and then unplug it and take it on the go if I had to.

Are there certain models and/or options out there that would increase the pixel density in an HDTV screen? A slightly smaller TV wouldn't help (you said even on 30" screens the pixels would be too big)?

Edit: By searching through the forums, I'm seeing people that have no noticeable problems with a "gaming-laptop-to-TV" setup and love it. I didn't mean to go into a derail, but I figured since the subject of screen resolution came up, I might as well ask.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
^^^ My bad, try this link.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I mean, I uninstalled the ATI drivers via Programs and Features (add and remove programs) in the control panel, when it prompted for a restart I just powered off and installed the 460 into my mobo then installed the drivers. Guess I'll look into this driver cleaner thing.

I personally used Driver Sweeper when I went from an ATI card to my 460 GTX. Ran the program, cleared out everything ATI, shut down, put my new card in, downloaded latest drivers. Haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 5, 2011

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
If I was going to build a legacy PC system, I'd go all out; a Windows 98 SE system running on a Pentium 90-233 with 32-64MB of RAM, a decent older 3D accelerator card, a 120GB PATA (did 98 support SATA?) hard drive, and maybe a sound blaster card, all inside a classic case with a Turbo button for good measure. Oh, and a big honking CRT monitor too.

Like what was said above, Windows 95 games are the hardest to get running.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Even these systems had problems with DOS games. I remember having to create DOS boot disks on my Win 98 system because it couldn't run a lot of DOS games natively.

Of course, I wont blame you if you want to use boot disks out of nostalgia.

I don't recall having too many problems actually. My Windows 98 SE system was so rock solid at the time that I clung onto it for dear life until Doom 3 came out and was the first game I wanted to play that shut out 98 and forced me to re-format into Windows XP. My first thought: "Will my DOS games still work?? :ohdear:"

My most nostalgic OS would have to be Windows 95, but all of the planets had to align perfectly in a straight line for any chance to run most of your games perfectly on it, at least in my experience. I still miss 95 and 98 though. I spent an embarrassing amount of time playing with desktop themes (anyone else remember the Plus! packs?), making custom DOS shortcuts for all of my DOS games, browsing the web with AOL and then Netscape, etc. Good times. I just miss the look and sound of it, but I don't miss all of the tinkering I had to do.

I only vaguely remember making a boot disk for one game, Dark Forces.

vvvvv Those and MEMMAKER, loading DOS "high", and editing config.sys and autoexec.bat. Ahhh, memories. :allears:

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 9, 2011

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Welp, I think I finally found the issue to my hardlocks after playing games for several hours that came back the other day. I took the heatsink off of my CPU to blast the dust out of it with compressed air thinking that would help it along better, only to find game were locking up even ore frequently than before.

Turns out after monitoring my CPU tempature it was quickly reaching levels of around 90 degrees Celcius under load (!!). No problem, I thought. Probably just needs new thermal paste, and since I had a $10 Best Buy certificate, I bought the Dynex brand earlier today. Put a little on the CPU and heatsink after cleaning them off and it was then I realized the heatsink (stock e8400 from Intel) was loose and one side of its plastic pushpins broke off. Great.

So now I'm waiting for this fan to come in either today or tomorrow and am afraid to play anything until it gets delivered to my doorstep. Then I can totally "pwn n00bs" again or whatever the kids call it nowadays.

Heatsinks with plastic pins should be outlawed.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Amrosorma posted:

You missed a couple :swoon:

PC gaming is dead my rear end.

Did anyone else see the article out yesterday about Epic wanting to switch back to the PC primarily? (Link) It's just too bad Mike Capps released that statement instead of Cliffy B who probably still thinks we're a bunch of filthy pirates since their games didn't sell well. :rolleyes:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Vintersorg posted:

I'll never use a controller for PC gaming, keyboard or bust! If developers won't devote time to make their game work for that than they can gently caress themselves. Plus I have a PS3 for messing around with console poo poo.

I hope you don't feel this way about emulators. That's the primary reason I have one.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

NihilCredo posted:

Well, there was Motocross Madness

That game was the poo poo. I think I have copies of my original discs for that and its sequel in a giant CD binder somewhere.

Quick hardware question: Should I clean all of the thermal compound off of my CPU before I install my new heatsink which is probably going to have its own compound on it, or will it be fine to leave on?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Clean it off. Generally, every time I take off the heatsink, I clean off the compound and apply new stuff, because impurities like dust or whatever mixed in can hurt the heat transfer. But in this case, it's especially important. Too much compound can be really ineffective and even reduce the heat transferring capabilities of it, and the stuff that comes on the heatsink is already designed to be just the right amount.

Cool, thanks. Still anxiously waiting for UPS to drop it off.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Huzzah! My heat sink finally arrived and installed perfectly! The only annoying part was unscrewing my motherboard to get the bracket on the back of it, but after reconnecting everything and applying a fresh rice grain size of paste to the CPU and the heatsink (the heatsink didn't come with any on it. Weird.) and screwing the heatsink on nice and tight. This loving beast refuses to let my processor go above 40C, and that's in-game and with my 3.6ghz overclock. Huge difference.

This is my first time with an aftermarket heatsink and messing with thermal paste, so I'm a little proud of myself. :)

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The reviews for the "new" D-Pad don't seem that glowing. I never had any trouble with my first gen 360 wireless controller's D-Pad at all.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Super Fan posted:

For the first time in my life I'm going to have a PC built for gaming! Can anyone recommend me some good games? I like RPGs, Shooters, Action/Adventure types. It's a pretty decent rig so good graphics would be a plus. Even though my monitor is still poo poo.

The Grumbles posted:

First off, you should reallllly invest in a nice monitor (even if it's a small one), seeing as all the wonderful things your PC can now do will be kind of lost if the video ends up blurrily farting out of a lovely vga display.

Yeah, get a widescreen LCD monitor. They aren't as expensive as they used to be, and the difference will be substantial. Even hit up eBay if you have to. If you fancy a certain make or model (Dell, Asus, and Samsung are good in my experience), you can usually find a mint condition one for far less than the brand new price tag.

Manac0r posted:

Custom 360 pads rule, got this:

Tactical 12 star shotty round for d-pad :smug:

This is every COD/wannabe-Marine player's wet dream. But a completely flat circle for a D-Pad? Seriously?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Copper Vein posted:

Angry postin' that I'm done with Corsair.

It seriously could have been a rare defective unit/bad batch of that certain model. I've had a modular 620W Corsair PSU for over a year I got for around a $100. Works perfect and it's whisper quiet.

If you don't want to try another Corsair PSU, the other recommended brands in the SH/SC Hardware thread are either Seasonic or Antec's Earthwatts series. Stay away from Thermaltake.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

spasticColon posted:

I'm beginning to think my single GTX460 won't cut the mustard for BF3 on high settings at 1080p. So I'm actually thinking of getting a second MSI HAWK GTX460 and do SLI but would my Corsair 650W PSU be able to handle an overclocked 2500K and two GTX460s in SLI or would I have to upgrade my PSU too? Or do I just get a single more powerful video card like a GTX570 or GTX580? It wouldn't have to be an nvidia card, if one of the AMD Radeon equivalents are cheaper I'll get one of those. I'm still :psyboom: over reading that a GTX590 is needed to max out the game. But I'm not asking to max out the game, just high settings with maybe 2x AA on there.

Source? And is that still based on the Alpha build of the game? I'm sure it'll be more optimized before it's released...right? I'm still rocking a Core 2 Duo and a GTX 460. I'm hoping I can at least run it at near-high settings. :ohdear:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Best way to do N64 emulation is with an N64 controller, IMO.

...which leads me to link this, which is going to be an integral part of my new PC-to-TV setup when it comes to emulators.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Zedd posted:

:c00l:
I had so much broken parts, lovely warrenty, lovely retailer and lovely poo poo poo poo shortcircuit poo poo; but no more!

Jesus, is that CPU cooler big enough for ya?

Very nice, though. Enjoy gaming bliss. :)

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Zedd posted:

320gb HDD. :stare:

Even my lovely school laptop is rocking 500gb.

The LCD touchpad is cool, but that and the GPU are both laughable, especially for the price.

As far as a gaming laptop, I'd like something like this instead. It's almost half the price and can run circles around this Razor Blade thing.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You can buy your kid a car or send them to a state university for a semester, or you can buy a dumb laptop to run Skyrim at medium settings.

Never underestimate people with more money than sense.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I wish everyone who bought one of these would just give the money to me. I'd put it to far better use.

This thing trying to save PC gaming is like shoving rat poison down someones throat while giving them CPR.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Opus125 posted:

From Reddit Gaming, a nice simple (and hilarious) guide to those souls who want to migrate over to PC gaming but don't know where to begin...

http://i.imgur.com/FRi0w.gif

A friend has me intrigued to check out /r/ gaming and the comics like that are funny in a stupid, boneheaded kind of way.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I never even know about the event viewer before. Awesome tip. Random reboots are the most frustrating thing ever because it can be almost anything.

Bats, have you tried monitoring your CPU temperature and flashing your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version? Do you get a blue screen when they happen?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Bats posted:

CPU temps are well within acceptable parameters. I used to have issues before, but a new CPU and a big rear end heatsink/fan later and they don't bother me. May up it to liquid cooling at some point too... read: AFTER it's stable.

And yeppers, mobo is on the latest bios revision available.

I have gotten a few bluescreens as well. Who Crashed hasn't pointed to hardware yet for any of those... tho that's in no way truly conclusive..

I asked because in my experience, random reboots as if you were pressing the reset button on your tower are most likely due to a faulty or inadequate power supply (or even a virus; run Spybot S&D just to be safe), but blue screens could be either hardware or driver specific. I know that really doesn't help, but I do feel your pain. When all you want to do is have a stable system to do things on, random reboots like that are a pain in the rear end.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
It's alarming the number of people that don't have enough common sense to get decent security software that auto-updates, an anti-spyware program like Spybot or Ad-Aware, and don't do stupid poo poo like have 20 icons in their system tray and/or click on every "YOU HAVE WON A FREE IPAD CLICK TO CONFIRM" banner they see.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Is water-cooling even necessary other than for nerd e-peen benchmark points?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

spasticColon posted:

I guess I'm the odd man out because if I throttle down my case fans to 50 percent in the bios my computer is almost silent and it freaks me out for some reason (it's too quiet :tinfoil:) so I turned them back up to 75 percent so there is some noise from the case fans. But I don't like my system sounding like a leaf blower either. I guess I prefer a quiet system over a silent system. Maybe its the same reason why I need white noise like a fan running so I can sleep.

No, I'm the same exact way, right down to using one of those nature sound machines with white noise and falling rain to help me sleep.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I think it was mentioned in this thread, but...where's a good place to by replacement mouse feets for my MX518? The two in the front finally gave way and I want to get replacements for my mouse. :(

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

NihilCredo posted:

Arguably another of said diamonds is this wiki which is pretty thorough and reliable. I believe that's where I found out about Battle Engine Aquila.

Wow, this is well done. This description to AoE in the Windows section shows they know what they're talking about :

quote:

Quality Microsoft (SOMEHOW) RTS, advance your tribe from the stone age to the medieval age while fighting off rival civilizations and managing an RTS economy. BEST loving RTS YOU WILL PLAY EVERY DAY. R.I.P. Ensemble Studios

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Visiontek is a poo poo company too. I remember having one card by them that I had nonstop problems with. Never again.

My rule of thumb for video cards is nVidia = EVGA or ATI = Sapphire. MSI is a good alternative too and I've heard great things about ASUS (I swear by their motherboards).

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Lazlow posted:

Not sure where else to ask this: Anyone recommended a free Fraps alternative? I've found a few but I wonder if there's a preferred one around here.

I was in your shoes a couple months ago looking for one. Honest answer? Pony up the money for Fraps. It really is the best of of its kind.

Question Mark Mound posted:

How much would a reasonable power supply cost? I'm seriously broke at least until the end of the month so I'll need to hold out before I go replacing it.

I personally won't touch a PSU that's not either Corsair, Seasonic, or certain brands of Antec (they vary in quality). I have a 650W Corsair I paid around $100 for and it's served me extremely well. Check on Newegg, narrow it down to a couple choices, and ask in the Parts Picking thread in SH/SC to double-check if that certain model isn't a piece of poo poo or not before you pull the trigger.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

bear is driving! posted:

No, I have 2 22" widesreens on a mount. Here's half of the mancave:

Nice. I can't wait to build my own mancave.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Manac0r posted:

Most 'gaming' laptops are really mobile Pc's. The power needed to run these so called laptops means you only ever get an hour at maximum performance. A power outlet is needed most of the time.

But they are ideal for people who want the small real estate of a laptop and almost always go places where there is a power outlet to use, which is why I think the line between desktops and laptops is becoming thinner every day.

Copper Vein posted:

My desktop has a 2600k in it and I used the integrated video for about a week while I waited for a new GPU to come in. It was a long goddamn week.

I was trying to play Killing Floor with friends that week, and I had to drop all the settings into the basement and lower my resolution to something like 1600x900 to keep a v-synch of 60hz. And this was overclocked.

I'm probably not the only one that thinks "lucky to play Bejeweled" whenever I hear "integrated graphics".

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anyone ever hear of Hyperglide for new mouse feet/skates? I ordered a pair of MX-1s for $9 shipped for my MX518. Ever since the front feet wore off, it doesn't feel the same. :smith:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Essobie posted:

I have Hyperglide's on my MX-518 and love them. They even sent me two sets, in case my first set rubs off/gets lost/doesn't glue on well. Worth the cash for sure.

Awesome news. Can't wait to get them in.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you feel the nub, D is one to the left. Seriously, do people not learn the QWERTY layout or something?

I never did. I learned how to type pretty fast in reverse; that is by actually looking at the keyboard as I'm typing and occasionally looking up at the screen to fix any obvious spelling errors I make. Obviously I don't look down at the keyboard when I'm playing a game because I have the common keyboard controls memorized, except when I have to hit L to drink a potion or some poo poo.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Away all Goats posted:

Since we're all gamers, everyone knows about Alt+F4 right?

That's the one that makes your ping lower.

Bullshit. Everyone knows that enables god mode.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Echoing what other have said. Check out this thread and the first 5 posts in it, especially the fourth one (The Quick Picks section). The only time you should ever buy a pre-built PC is if you're getting a laptop. Building your own desktop is easier than changing a tire.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Avocadoes posted:

A lot of people are saying PC building is rather easy. While it actually is now, I think the best pointer is to take your time. There will be quite a bit of parts, wires, and extra little pieces you may or may not need, and there is quite a bit of documentation. Resist the urge to stop whatever you're doing and begin building when the nice USPS/UPS/FedEx man knocks on your door. I painstakingly rushed through building my PC and probably spent 4 times as long because I didn't bother to spend a little extra time taking it slow and careful.

Schedule distraction free time to build in a quiet, clean open area. The absolute worst thing you can do is rush a build. That being said, the abundance of manuals and tools supplied make building a PC straightforward, and as long as you take it slow it'll be fun.

Edit: And don't close up the case and put everything away when the computer turns on. There are still a handful of things that can go wrong from that point on. If you make a mistake, (which is common for people) you don't want to pull everything out from under the desk and get the part boxes out again. Make sure everything runs nicely, nothing is overheating, system running stable. Then that's when you call it a project well done and put things away.

Adding to this also is the motherboard's manual is your best friend. Since you have to hook up everything to the motherboard one way or another, it walks you step by step on how to hook things to it and where one thing at a time.

Trust us, if you go for the DIY approach, you won't believe how easy it really is. I personally never changed my own oil or know how to drive a stick, but I can put together a desktop from scratch to installing Windows in less than an hour.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

movax posted:

Will see what a GTX 460 does with Skyrim/BF3/ME3/etc.

I'm really hoping that this card, an E8400, and 4GB of RAM can hold out for those games and for another year or around the launch of Windows 8 so I can buy a new system. Gonna leave this one to my mom which is more than adequate for her games.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
One cannot truly "pwn" and make pubbies cry gallons of tears without one of these.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Node posted:

Gears 1 sold poorly on PC because it was a lovely port and an unoriginal game.

Nope. Gears 1 sold poorly on the PC because Cliffy B is a jackass who justifies poor sales by calling PC gamers filthy pirates that just download everything we can get our hands on for free on our inferior platform that has been in "disarray" and can't hold a candle to the majesty that is the Gears of War Trilogy on the XBox 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

VDay posted:

monocle, smoking pipe, and PC Master Race tophat

Holy poo poo, are these available in a set somewhere? Because if they are, I need them.

• Locked thread