Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

404notfound posted:

TweakGuides.
It's really too bad this dude has pretty much given up on making any new guides, but the old stuff is good I guess. The tech report should hire him or something, the guy just can't figure out how to run his website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What sort of equipment should I get if I want to easily control the volume of my headphones and I don't have a multimedia keyboard? I have a pair of HD555 and onboard audio.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I like my mx518 but my hands hate the plastic surface. The g500 is $70 on newegg, what are some cheaper options?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Been playing Darksiders, it owns.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What is a good mAtx case with good intake filters?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Im not really feeling this 3RVX program, are there any more like it in terms of hotkey volume management?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is Xpadder the best program for using a xbox 360 controller with older games? I want to play through Pyschonauts and Beyond good and evil.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

So ubisoft launcher servers are down, can't run AC2 even in offline mode. DRM owns.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yup. I find it hilarious that it happened right when people are going to be replaying AC2 to get ready for Brotherhood. Way to piss people off with your DRM right before your big new game comes out. Have they confirmed whether Brotherhood will be using UbiDRM or not?

Pretty sure it will use the same thing as AC2 has now.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For people looking at new games, AC brotherhood is $40, just like homefront on Amazon digital download.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

kiph posted:

The point is that it should be in 0% of them. And yet publishers are still putting that crap in their games. WHY????!!!!!

I would assume that Microsoft is paying developers to use GFWL.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can someone recommend a trainer for Red faction guerilla? The one I am using from gamershell is causing the game to crash.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

RPS talks to some Lionhead dude. GFWL comment:

RPS: What about the use of Games For Windows Live? I guess you must be aware that it’s not exactly popular with a lot of people. How much has being part of Microsoft enabled you to tailor it to your game?

quote:

Josh Atkins: The way we treat GFWL, and I think this is both a pro and I’ll be honest a con too, is that we treated it a lot like we think about Xbox Live, because the parity between the two platforms is something that is important to Microsoft, right. And they so feel like one integrated system… As kind of a specific example, but I think it will make sense, going back to Coin Golf, it was important that it not just work with Xbox, but that it work with Xbox or a PC. That whole Live universe didn’t feel like Games For Windows Live and Xbox Live and Live on the phone –that it felt like one thing. That was kind of our approach for it, to make sure that it felt like it should feel if you’re playing on the console, that you get the same general vibe for it.

There are things about Games For Windows Live that I think even people from Microsoft have said there’s work to do, and I think that work’s ongoing.

They are never going to change it, are they. The funniest thing is you can't even chat with friends outside of the game, thanks Microsoft!

Did they consider the fact that I don't want to think I am using a PC and not a console? Just utter nonsense really.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I've read that twice and still can't figure out what the hell he is saying. I hate marketing speak. What I am getting from that is that they don't know or care that most people at best are ambivalent to GFWL and at worst outright hate it.

Seems like the Microsoft party line about Xbox Live. And a token "we are working on it" thrown in there for good measure.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a reason CCC keeps using 1-5% of my cpu? Probably the awful version 2 or something. 11.3 win 7 x64 here.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Amrosorma posted:

Don't forget Sectio 8: Prejudice. I hope it's good!

Too close to Brink :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Can a few of you give me some good recommendations on a new headset? I currently have these:

http://www.amazon.com/Icemat-10060-Siberia-Headset-White/dp/B000ANGTWK

I am sick of the clip on microphone that it comes with. I am looking to stay in the $100 range. Thanks.

Sennheiser 555 with a desktop mic.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm open to this option, but I would like to be able to switch easily from my speakers and headset. Having the USB sound option is nice because I can just right click on volume and set my playback device. With both my speakers and the Sennheiser's using the same jack, is there any easy fix or playback switch for this option?

edit: I'm assuming I can just use my front panel audio jack for headphones and back panel audio for speakers. Will I lose sound quality with the sennheiser's by using onboard? I know onboard sound is good these days, just wondering.

Onboard will be fine. If you want to switch outputs quickly, just use Soundswitch, which is made by goon thermopyle.

http://blog.contriving.net/2009/05/04/a-hotkey-to-switch-between-headphones-and-speakers-soundswitch/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

arca posted:

are these headphones really that great? I've used some steel series 3H's for eons because the quality is great for a £20 set of headphones but they aren't that comfortable and my mic just broke.

Basically I am asking if senheiser's are really worth the money, £80 for a set of headphones is a hell of a lot of money.

I would says so, yeah. They are $84 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-Professional-Headphones-Channeling/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306609423&sr=8-3

Dont know about amazon UK, but I would purchase them if you can find them under $90 or so. The thing with a nice set of headphones like this is they will most likely last for 10 years. I have had lots of cheap headsets and headphones break on me over the years, so I decided to stop throwing money away on the cheap poo poo and get the 555.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Wish I could preorder on Amazon. A mx518 without the lovely slick covering will be awesome.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

sethsez posted:

This was also the case with EADM, since you could either buy games from it or retail, but they were nowhere to be found on Steam for months.

EA is just rebranding the same thing they've always had and giving it another push.

Someone posted the Origin roadmap somewhere and it included cool stuff like iOS/Android integration and other cool stuff.

The only thing I am not looking forward to is if EA blocks BF3 preorders from Steam.

ElProducto posted:

Bulletstorm and Dragon Age II were both huge EA releases that came out on Steam day one. Also Battlefield 3 and ME3 will come out day one.

Yes, but the BF3 preorders include some neat things. If Steam doesn't get a preorder then Steam users are kind of hosed, since some of the items are preorder only.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Homefront dev KAOS has been closed.

http://goo.gl/Z8PcG

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

If anything, there's been kind of a swing back to PCs in recent years, not due to the extra power available before the "new" consoles drop but due to the fact that big companies see all of these indies making gobs of money in the vacuum that's been left behind in recent years, never mind all the MMO money. PC gaming seriously isn't going anywhere any time soon, unless there's some kind of larger death of the PC platform thanks to ~smartphones~ and ~tablets~. (Hint: not too likely for various reasons)

PC gaming is going nowhere for at least another 15-20 years. People forget just how massive the audience is, and with hardware prices so low and the ease of use of setting the hardware up, the barrier of entry lowers.

I would imagine that if Sony joins Microsoft and charges for their online, people will get fed up with pay p2p matchmaking and play more PC games.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rekkit posted:

I honestly don't understand the whole PC gaming is dying arguments. Please, someone tell me you see the future like I do.

With consoles and televisions becoming increasingly more powerful, and with less and less room for innovation on the console front, consoles will essentially become cheap, powerful computers. I can't help but think that consoles are in fact dying since there will basically be no difference between a desktop and a PS7, except that a PS7 isn't updated for ten years while the computer is. We will reach a point where the television is powerful enough to run games on its own or even for one computer in the house to run games to any room. Developers will create games in a programming language that is accessible to most hardware (this being traditional computers) therefore making console programming obsolete (why bother specifically making a PS7 game when most people already own a computer or tv that can run the game). The way I see it, the only semblance of console gaming left in the future is the option to play games with a traditional controller.

tldr: consoles will become computers and everything will converge to pc gaming (with the option of using traditional controllers).

The consoles of today will always be closed platforms. There is too much money and not enough motivation to make them open.

I think it will go to other way, people will have a "PC" in their living rooms with Steam large text edition on it. Valve will make their own wireless controller and bam, console.

Taboot posted:

Hi guys, I hope this is the right place to put this; I am going to get a new computer this fall, and I was wondering if this one is a decent alternative?

http://translate.google.com/transla...x%3Fsku%3D10452

It's not too expensive, but not overly cheap either. I'm not too technical, so I'm not sure what I'm really looking at here.

Your link doesn't work. For computer buying tips, go here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371605

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Chortles posted:

Hunh, which retailers are those? GameStop is only offering the Back to Karkand pack*, and I wasn't aware of the Physical Warfare pack. (In fairness, the flash suppressor seems to also be exclusive to one weapon, ditto for the flechette ammo.)

Although I bought the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Collector's Edition for PS3, its "exclusive" content was eventually made part of the Da Vinci Disappearance paid DLC pack that was also included with the PC version, so has EA definitively said that the Physical Warfare pack will not be available as post-release DLC?

* Most likely a case of "the first shipment will include BTK."

Yes, they have said it is pre order only.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jawtramp posted:

Alright pc gamerz, quick accessory question incoming. I have used the Logitech G7 for many years now. Hell, I've owned three (including this one) just because I couldn't get a replacement for when the previous two finally bitched out. Anyway, I know the MX-518 is really good, but is there a wireless version of it? I noticed it has the same body style as the G7, so what I'm really asking is, has anyone owned a G7 and moved onto another wireless Logitech mouse that felt just as good? I was looking at the G700 but I wonder how much more of a difference it would make to my older G7.

The G400 comes out tomorrow. I'd get that since you don't really need wireless.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

:10bux: says that they still require an installation of their Steam clone to activate the game.

Pretty much the same way that Valve got everyone to install Steam back when HL2 came out, only six years later and with fewer features.

You know, like most of EA's products.

EA has nothing to do with Rage?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lacunaa posted:

I've had many logitech products break on me in their third year (2 headsets, one mouse) and so far I really like my razer Abyssus. Maybe I got lucky in this model, but so far I've been totally happy with my razer products.

Yes except Logitech customer support is legendary, so I would rather just get their products then have to deal with Razer.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Well it wasn't just for the computer, I wanted a system to listen to music and watch DVDs/Blu-rays on.

Yes a CD player. Find me a digital service that lets you download your bought music as much as you want, is good value, isn't iTunes and is available in New Zealand. Also the CD player was the cheapest part of the whole package.

Does amazon music store not work there?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fiction posted:

I just bought a Razer DeathAdder. Have I made a terrible mistake?

Yes, especially since the Logitech g400 is out now. Sorry for your mistake.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BIFF! posted:

No it won't.

Even when it tracks the time it doesn't even work or report it correctly. At least in my experience. Better to just not care and/or make a spreadsheet.

Positronic Spleen posted:

Since people are talking about mice again, I'd like to ask again, is the R.A.T. 7 worth it? It's another $25 above the G400, but it has about six times the DPI, more buttons, and all that shape adjusting. I'm also concerned about how reliable it is, something that complex should be far more prone to problems, right?

No jesus. Higher DPI means gently caress all, you don't need more buttons and why in the world would you get something from Madcatz when you can order from Logitech and then do a RMA in four years when it breaks?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

So, people on Mumble are getting pretty sick of hearing my hideous voice pumped through the in-built mic on my microsoft lifecam. Can anyone recommend a decent headset? Preferably something priced on the sensible side of things, I can't really afford a gold-plated sennheiser wireless surround whatever

Rename thread to PC Gaming: Don't Buy a Headset

thanks

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

For the price of a gaming laptop you can buy a better gaming desktop and get a cheap laptop for school/travelling/whatever. I bought an open box HP 4420s for $400 from eBay and it's awesome for everything except the latest games, for which I have an awesome desktop that cost me less than $900

This has been the correct combo for a couple years now. Desktop + Netbook. Soon it will probably be desktop + tablet, at least for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Just because it's not been posted in a while:

Now someone post the creative bar graph picture.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

I just want to play a game that won't have any bugs or crash every loving 2 hours.

Which game would this be?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

KoB posted:

Whats everyones recommendations for headphones and mics? My headset seems to be dying off and Im shopping around for replacements.

Read like the last 10 pages or so. or dont. the right answer is:

Sennheiser HD555
Desktop Mic/Zalman clip mic

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

My MX518 just died. Absolutely agonizing. It's been cutting out at random for the last few days, and tonight I tried jiggling the wire a little and now I can't get the LED to come on at all. I can't afford a new one(poor college student who JUST dropped his money on a new motherboard/processor/RAM) so I'm stuck with my V220 laptop mouse :smith:

Do any goons have experience with cheaper mice? I've really liked every Logitech mouse I've owned so I was looking at the B100 or M110 or something. Do these mice work well enough?

Logitech support is legendary. Just fill out a support request and they will most likely just verify your current mouse and send you out a brand new one.

NihilCredo posted:

What's a good way to clean soft mousepads? It's a Steelseries QCK Heavy (the kind that's almost 1 cm thick) and by now it looks like it's growing dandruff with all the white dust on it. I've tried wet and dry cloths, sponges, and beating it like a carpet.

I clean my QCK in the shower with me when it gets a little dingy. I just use regular soap and dry it out, works OK so far.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The weirder thing is I can play COD4 on my Playstation 3 without getting dizzy, but I get nauseous when I play it on PC. Maybe it's some refresh rate thing? :iiam:

That and you are probably a foot or two from your monitor.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah they only patched in proper FOV long after the game released, I remember playing HL2 and only making it 30 minutes at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Except BC2 which murders dual core machines. Reports are that BF3 is even more CPU bound.

• Locked thread