Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

nickhimself posted:

poo poo looks like it's worth 10 dollars, man. microsoft ergonomic keyboard for life

gently caress ergonomic keyboards. Dell QuietKey is what the smart people use.

And to everyone complaining about gaming on a Core2duo: I was on an Athlon x2 until a few months ago. That poo poo is bad. My new i5 is so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

KakerMix posted:

An I5, a SSD, and a 6870 are everything a growing boy needs. Just a hair over $1000 and you can build a computer that is SO GOOD you'll be more smug than Duck Feet thought he was when he posted that gimmick keyboard.

I do need a better video card. I've always used Nvidia, is there a real reason to use ATI over Nvidia?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
^^^I can confirm that MSDNAA software has different liscence keys than OEM. A MSDNAA key won't work on an OEM disk and vice-versa.

darkhand posted:

From my experience, if you have a spare PCI-Express port on your motherboard you should be able to do pop one in easily.
Keep in mind:
You need enough powersupply outlets and output to support it, a lot of cards now adays need some kind of connector to them from the powersupply. Usually a standard "molex" connector.

Be doubly careful if you're buying a Dell. The Dells at a computer lab I help manage didn't have any Molex connectors, and the only sata->molex converters we could find were $2 each.

So, being the geeks we are, we raided old computers for AT power supplies and ran the cables that way. Now we have these nice new(ish) Dell computers with old-rear end power supplies sitting on top and cables running in through the floppy bays :v:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Athropos posted:

It's awesome because like it's been said, it automatically configures the buttons like they would be on the 360.

But if I'm playing an old school emulator game or a dpad heavy game like Super Meatboy I'd rather use a playstation style controller.

I use a DualShock 3 for my PC controller needs. The MotionInJoy drivers have evolved by leaps and bounds in the last two versions, including getting them certified so they're actually useful.

Plus, they have a 360 controller emulator function, so I use my DS3 for everything. Well, my DS3 and the cheapest bluetooth adaptor you can find on DealExtreme.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I DID say "other than a keyboard emulator" which is what that is. But either way I gave up and finally put down the tenbux for xpadder. All I am using it for now is to bind the arrow keys to the d-pad, but I bet it will be useful for other things later.

Is the new Xpadder really worth it? I still have the old version that I can throw up somewhere if it's not.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ravenger posted:

The biggest weapon Steam has versus the pirates isn't DRM, it's convenience.

It's easier to get a game by clicking a few buttons in Steam than to wade through the unofficial channels.

This is why the other DRM methods ultimately fail, because they ensure the legit customer gets a worse service than the pirates.

Steam gives a better service than the pirates, which is why it's doing more to support PC gaming than any of its rival platforms.

That's not to say it's perfect of course. It isn't - there are issues about customer support, no refunds for broken games, and their hair trigger willingness to lock you out of your game collection if they suspect something dodgy, but it's still the best system so far for fighting piracy, simply by being better and more convenient. They say you can't compete with free, but Valve have conclusively proved that wrong.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. My biggest problem with Steam is how badly it handles offline mode and offline LAN games. It took a good eight hours to get Alien Swarm working anything close to well on eight computers with a shared 14.4k, and I've still had to hack up a lan loading solution.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That seems kind of funny considering that Alien Swarm is free. What exactly are they protecting it from?

It's really more of a way to get people to try Steam. It's not so much DRM as it is adware :v:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Monitor posted:

Anyone have opinions on good quality mice on the cheap? Only real stipulation is that it be wired, but other than that I'd be interested in hearing about the nice mice people use for under like 40 dollars.

MX518. It's like $45 if you order direct from them and is the best mouse you'll ever use.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Starhawk64 posted:

AMD is more for people on a budget. Besides, don't most games require a beefy videocard to run well anyway? Most games will run fine with a dual-core AMD Athon and a decent GPU, right? I'd rather use the money saved buying AMD instead of Intel and get a decent graphics card, the part that matters the most when it comes to games, at last in my opinion.

Not nessicarily. I was using an AM2 Athlon X2 4000+ overclocked to 2.6GHZ before I got my current rig. Going to an i5, losing a gig of RAM and using the same video card, I took my framerates in quite a few games from ~15 to ~50.

This is with an 8800GT and only 2GB RAM in the new computer.

If your processor is more than one generation old, you'll most likely see an improvement if you upgrade.

AMD has some nice stuff for more of a budget, though.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Taffer posted:

That's not because of an AMD/Intel transition, that's because you moved up two generations in your CPU.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
e. Dammit 404.

Taffer posted:

The opposite side of that is things that don't support multi-core at ALL can crash on startup when set at default, so you can't change them without literally making a batch script that runs the game with affinity set prior to launch. If you're lucky it's a game and will be slow to launch and you'll be able to set the affinity before it crashes.

Apparently, ImageCFG still works on Win7. It modifies the executable of whatever you point it at, so you only have to run it once.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Taffer posted:

No kidding.... There is no reason at this point to not have an option equivalent to Source's -noborder option. gently caress games that take forever to alt-tab.

I actually have an autohotkey script that emulates this. It's pretty simple to do, I can post it when I get home.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Van Ishikawa posted:

I know the OP kinda answered this, but I got a $50 gift card to Best Buy from my brother and wanted to get a new keyboard since the flimsy one I'm currently using is starting to break down. Anyone have any good recommendations for a sub $100 keyboard? I don't mind spending a bit extra if its resilient.

1) Go to a local school district/business, ask if they have any old keyboards.
2) Grab a Dell Quietkey keyboard (or four)
3) Run them through the dishwasher. Top rack, no heated dry, let them dry for at least 24h.
4) Use Quietkey keyboard for years.

Seriously, the keyboard I've been using for the past 4+ years was in the elementary school, then the middle school, then the high school, and shows absolutely no signs of breaking down. Anything that can survive years of angry teenagers beating on it is good enough for even a gamer. Plus, it's either free or less than $5!

Just don't wash them with your dishes. You do not want the poo poo in there getting on anything you ever want to be comfortable eating on again. That poo poo is nasty.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Just posting to say that I really like the weekly roundups you do, Devil Wears Wings. It's really easy to see what's slipped under my radar and still looks good.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Devil Wears Wings posted:

It was actually the "sexy time" scenes that made me shelve The Witcher. I just can't take a game seriously when seemingly every attractive girl wants to bang your pale, scarred, personality-bereft protagonist. And don't even get me started on the "collectible" cards... :doh:

I've never actually played it, but that was explained either here or on another forum as "Everyone else has horrible diseases and blight except you! Who wouldn't want to bang you?"

It was exactly as stupid as it sounds.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Tufty posted:

Dude, Lost Planet 2 is poo poo. The end.

Edit: Please don't post an angry 3 paragraph rebuttal that attacks my gaming skills - I don't think I could take it.

I would disagree, I played through it and had a blast. Get four people together and it can be a lot of fun.

It does have some major problems, though. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. Maybe a 5 if I was grumpy.

e. also shut the gently caress up ductile escapist, you're easily the worst poster in this thread.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

thetrin posted:

Btw, I appreciate the dudebro name and avatar (I wrote the script for Dudebro)

Thank you for mentioning dudebro, it lead me to the best wikipedia article ever.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cheezymadman posted:

The charger was the only thing plugged into the wall, because my Powersquid was out of outlets. The house got hit, power surge nailed everything not protected.

Lost a good microwave that day.

I can't help but read this in the voice of an old 'Nam vet, looking into the middle distance and valiantly trying not to shed a tear for his long-lost buddiesappliances.

Bravo.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is the problem with using "JRPG" as a genre discriptor.

Guess how many games on that page are actually Japanese. Come on, guess.

Hey, Recettear is 50% off! If I buy it from there, can I activate it on Steam?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Right posted:

Last I lurked they seemed to take offence to users not assembling their own.

To be fair, assembling your PC yourself is pretty drat simple (if you're not sure, buy a "retail" motherboard and it comes with instructions) and takes all of two hours if you're a complete newbie. It's not worth it to spend $500 to have someone else do it for you.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

c0burn posted:

You should never put everything in the case at first. Place the mobo on something (like a cardbox box) and test it can POST with just the cpu, ram and graphics card.

I have never done this but it is a very good idea.

Also the first thing to check is the power cable. I repair computers for a living and have worked on several thousand machines, and three of them have turned on the first time I pushed the power button.
The rest turned on when I plugged the power in :downs:

e. Also, for advice - don't skimp on the case. You don't need a $200+ case, but that $15 box is never going to fit together and will be loud as all hell. Plan to spend at least $30 before shipping, and I'd recommend going up to $50-75. You will have a much easier time hooking everything up and routing cables, trust me.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 17, 2011

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Space Cadet posted:

Your friend worked harder not smarter, about 2 months ago I cleaned out my case and decided to give my cpu cooler a good scrub down as well so I took it all apart. Upon removing the cpu I never used the levers, I pretty much pulled it out with brute force which was no problem until I decided to put it back together again and figured I didn't need the lever. My hasty decision led to about 1/4 of the pins to be bent, for the first time in all my years my laziness caught up with me and I began to panic. The original plan was to do as your friend did, work the pins one by one, this lasted until the second pin when I looked up and saw my glasses screwdriver kit. The shaft of the screwdriver was small enough to fit between the rows of pins and long enough to cover the entire CPU. In the end I had all my pins straightened out and in line with the unbent pins within minutes, I used the levers and my CPU was saved and my system has been fine ever since. For that reason alone I am wary of pins being in recessed sockets on the motherboard since my fix would never work in that scenario.

A pocketknife works even better. I've realigned several dozen pins in fifteen minutes doing this - you just slide the knife in the row of pins and very gently straighten it out. Works like a charm.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Starhawk64 posted:

Putting my Athlon X2 into my AM3 mobo was a pretty easy affar; there's a reason why it's called zero force insertion. What are all of you doing, trying to jam the chip in there? :v:

It's not installing the chip that people are complaining about, it's installing the heatsink.

I was so glad when I got my current I5 processor. The fan was so much more confusing but so much easier to install.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I've said it before - but I'm still using a Dell QuietKey for my gaming. Good tactile response, haven't had any problem with multiple keys, and cheap as hell.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I played an earlier release of Trapped Dead and it's slow. Almost unplayably slow. Player movement, shooting, enemy movement and reactions are all absolutely glacial.

I'd avoid it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

DreadCthulhu posted:

Can we talk headsets for a sec? My MS LifeChat LX-3000 died the other day, and so I have to find a new headset. The only reason why I was using it was because it was extremely plug and play and cost me no more than $15, but I feel I can step it up now. I actually bought a LifeChat LX-1000 as a temporary stopgap, but it feels exactly like one of those lovely headphones you get on a plane.

I hear Razer's headphones aren't that great, and that Logitech G35 might be a solid choice. Also Steelseries has been getting good reviews, but I'd love to hear what you guys are using and what you've had a positive experience with!

Oh my god read the loving thread. Headsets and speakers have been the only loving thing this thread has been talking about for the last fifteen pages you sack of poo poo.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cardboard Box posted:

They want it to be a surprise!

Rumor is that Episode 3 is actually going to be a full-blown Half-Life 3.

This is entirely true, if you take "rumor" to mean "wishful thinking".

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cardboard Box posted:

Okay, it was less rumor and more poo poo I've heard. Also wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking is totally excusable in this situation. I've been waiting so long, every E3 is torture.

We need a new Half-Life, on a new engine.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rinkles posted:

I have three PS3 controllers, two Sixaxes and one Dualshock 3. The DS3 is the only one that functions entirely properly. The battery died in one after a year, so it only works wired (which isn't an issue in PC gaming with my set up). And the other has a stick that doesn't self center after release and drifts. Maybe I'm unlucky - they really don't get that much use - but with how expensive these things are it's frustrating.

I have four Dualshock 3 controllers and none of them have any problems. They don't get used all that much and I spread my gaming time among whichever one is currently charged (gently caress charging controllers until all four are dead) and they all work fine. Sounds like you got really unlucky, man. DS3s are really expensive.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

uncle jimbo posted:

I need a new keyboard, are there any goony as poo poo GAMING KEYBOARDS that are actually worth the money or should I just go buy a cheapass microsoft one or w/e

Just get a Dell Quietkey. Quiet and responsive with great tactile feedback, plus you can probably get one free from your local school if you ask.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Pick the gamepad you like the feel of. They're both well supported with drivers and can do wireless.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

GameFAQs existed when Fallout came out. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure it was still Secrets of the Sega Sages then :colbert:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
E. I have buttdialwd before, but never buttposted before!

Call it a shitpost, then :haw:

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 24, 2012

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Well that was a fun experience. I should probably start locking my phone.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Walton Simons posted:

Saints Row 2 is incredible, but use the guide on Idolninja's site first. Also, what parts are inside your PC have no bearing on how well the game will run.

This isn't quite accurate- your performance depends on how closely your computer matches a 360's specs. Being slower or faster will hamper performance.

But it will still always run like crap compared to The Third.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

By saying that FPSes were a bit rough, I was mostly approaching that thematically. As in, saying "welcome to gaming, now let's blow the faces off of terrorists for a couple hours" is maybe not the best introduction to the hobby.

You're right. You should hook her up with Doom, so the both of you can go blow the faces off horrible space demons for a few hours :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cage posted:

I mainly liked the top down 2 player shooting guns at large swarms of enemies, it was simple but fun.

Nation Red doesnt look bad, Ive seen it before I dont know why I never bought it. Nuclear throne looks fun but it doesnt really look like what I want.

Crimsonland is a much better game, but Nation Red has global leaderboards and online coop, so I've put 20 hours into it.

Stay away from Yet Another Zombie Defense, which is obviously inspired by the same thing but is a totally poo poo game.

• Locked thread