Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God bless Gabe and all but if you have to move your head at all when using your PC then your display is too large or too close. Notice how he has the UI stuff in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've always upgraded my computer on a carpet. I don't recall ever doing it with socks on. I didn't realize it was such a big deal.

I've never had any issues with it, I just touch the metal case.

I'm pretty sure hardware now is built to handle this stuff better than in 2000. I remember when I was helping my roommate set up a new PC and one of the components on the motherboard popped when we turned the power on, and everything still worked just fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Carecat posted:

Read that post 5~ pages back from the guy with 5k to blow. Whilst it's obvious why retailers and graphics card manufactures pushed SLI/Crossfire ($$$) it's sad so many people bought in to it. A 40% speed increase at best for double the price, bad game comparability and issues such as microstutter. He wasn't even buying a 2560 monitor!

I liked the part where he said goons recommending non-$800 GPU setups just didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and they're wrong because there's one really bad console port that doesn't get 60fps on a single 680.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I have decided to just reformat. New laptop, why not right? Well...they sent their standard CD with all their bloatware but no Win 7 64 bit CD. I have the win7 key sticker on the bottom. But why the poo poo didn't they send the Win7 discs? I've been using PCs since I was 3 and I swear I still loving hate them.

You've been using computers since you were 3 and just now found out that manufacturers use restore discs and not retail copies of Windows?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alkanos posted:

You have to admit though, developing for PC comes with its own set of downsides.
  • Practically every PC out there has it's own set of hardware, so you have to code in graphics settings for various hardware profiles, as well as make sure it looks at least passable on low settings.

It does make me laugh that iOS and Android developers flip their poo poo over "fragmentation" and having to deal with different resolutions and graphics chips when PC developers have been doing it for 30 years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

macnbc posted:

I think GameStop and Gamefly (among others possibly) would file lawsuits since it kind of poses a severe threat to their business models.

One business is not obligated to protect another.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't think Sony and Microsoft see it that way. They take a cut (about 11%) of every new game sold but see nothing from used games.

Which is why publishers are figuring out how to stop used game sales with technology instead of suing Gamestop for "threatening their business model".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedd posted:

I have a GTX560TI and I am 100% satisfied with it's performance.
I am however extremely annoyed at the sound levels it produces, I had an 8800GT before and I never even heard that thing.
I can deal with my fan speed at around 50-60% GPU load, but above that it overpowers both my speakers and headset and it ruins my gaming experience.
I have had it for over 1.5 year now and I thought I could get used to it. Nowadays I am actually tuning down ingame settings to keep it quieter, but that doesn't always help.

Anything I can do, some kind of very silent new fan setup I can buy and use? Watercooling isn't an option
(poor student, only bought this system cause my last one broke)

This is my afterburner profile, under full load my card hits around 65-70degrees:

I can take it to the hardware subforum but I reckon I'd ask here first.

Clean out the GPU fan and make the cooling in the rest of the case better. Lowering the fan speeds isn't a good idea if you're hitting 70C under full load. You can also get a better-designed case or sound dampening materials, since fans tend to make a lot more noise when they're enclosed in a thin aluminum box: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7846/noi-19/AcoustiPack_ULTIMATE_Professional_Sound_Dampening_Pack_APU.html?tl=g7&id=z5SFuDMM

The cards just come with loud fans. I got a new GTX 660 Ti and it comes with a "Twin Frozr" fan setup that is much, much quieter than my old GTX 460.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 6, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Phenom II X4 965 came with a ridiculously tiny fan that spun at 7000 RPM and I'm glad AMD is suffering just for subjecting me to incredibly loud, high frequency noise until I ordered an aftermarket cooler.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AG3 posted:

Speaking of fan noise, I remember how The Witcher (the first one) would instantly cause my video card fans to go full throttle the second I started it up, no matter the temperature. This happened across 3 different video cards, each more powerful than the last one, and regardless of detail levels set in the game. I've never seen a game do that before or after.

As if the loading times weren't bad enough (pre-patch), the fan noise made playing the game for long stretches unbearable.

Lots of games do this, it's because they don't cap the framerate at the menus so your video card hits 100% load rendering it as fast as possible. Starcraft 2 did it for a while before they patched it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

nVidia just announced Project Shield, a portable Android-based gaming system with the realest gamepad ever seen on such a device. It can also stream in video from your PC running games on Steam. You need a GeForce 600 series card to make it happen, though. No word yet on pricing or release date.

Well that sure is something. It'll never work if it costs more than $200, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BgRdMchne posted:

The thing that most people love or hate is the two-mode wheel. There's a button which switches it from the normal "clicky" wheel to a free spinning wheel which I think is really nice for scrolling documents and long webpages.

If it requires you to give up the middle mouse button like another dual-scroll Logitech mouse I had then yeah, I can see the problem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

404notfound posted:

So where's all the Cyberpunk 2077 discussion? Did I miss the thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Pre-rendered trailers are pretty much not worth talking about. Still, it looks like they're really going to nail the aesthetics and atmosphere of the game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Node posted:

CD Projekt is a diamond hidden in a truck full of poo poo.

They are so awesome it's kind of hard to believe they can exist. You ask "Wait, what was everyone else's excuse again?"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that's one of the weird things about Intel's GPUs. In terms of raw power there's things they should be able to run but don't, because when creating it they decided to pick and choose which graphics standards to support.

Like, I had an Intel 945GM that could run Halflife 2 just fine but couldn't run a lot of older games because it didn't support Hardware T&L, which was implemented in 1999.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Balobam posted:

Even better graphics, here I come! No idea what I'm gonna do with this 560Ti, though.

Save it and make an HTPC. I know that's why I'm hanging onto my AMD X4 965 and GTX 460.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Philthy posted:

I use Steam Mover. Someone mentioned you can do it right in Steam itself now, but I don't see anywhere to do it.

Edit:

You need to add another steam library folder in Settings -> Downloads+Cloud. When you install a game, it will have a drop down for your locations.

I don't see how you can move them after the fact. Maybe just drag and drop them?

I don't see why people get so excited over Steam letting you install to a different directory, it still doesn't let you easily transfer them back and forth once installed like SteamTool or Steam Mover does.

Never had a problem with patching when using SteamTool, by the way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God I hate what co-op has done to good singleplayer games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Dead Space 2 was already on a freight train in this direction. It wasn't even a horror game, just a horror-themed action game, basically.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed by Dead Space 2 but still had fun with it. I was hoping they'd turn it around for the 3rd one.

letgomyAgo posted:

Which is something I really don't understand. I can see if DS1 had been made that way from the get go, the desire to keep it all action gamey. But why did they feel the need to mess with what was already a very successful formula?

Shareholders demand BIGGER profits! BIGGGERRRRRR!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I mean really, what industry doesn't revolve around making $300,000,000 in revenue off a single product out of dozens every year in order to justify its existence?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What a load. I like AAA games and all but if that's what it takes to keep them going they should stop loving making them. Try something sustainable. We all know what game sales look like right now. DS3 isn't going to sell 5 million copies.

Yeah, but DS3 cost $200,000,000 to make*!

*$5 million in dev costs, $195 million in advertising. Argh, games just cost so much to make these days!

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 1, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chortles posted:

The problem re: the THQ analogy is that I'd look at uDraw as a greater factor in THQ's downfall than "habits of game development as represented by Darksiders II".

It's pretty silly to try to characterize a company's downfall as being from some silly "poo poo happens!" gamble rather than systemic problems with management. I'd say that the same root behavior led to both uDraw and Darksiders II causing the company to take big hits.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

The Intel heatsinks that come with the CPUs are garbage and should be put straight in the bin.

Seems like the stock heatsink on my i5 has been working great for 6 months keeping it cool when overclocked to 4 GHz!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Can someone recommend me a good controller that I can plug into my computer? I was gonna pick up an Xbox controller but I wanted to check the goon hivemind first.

An Xbox controller.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gazaar posted:

After futzing with my dualshock trying to make it work consistently through motioninjoy it literally broke over night one day. Like windows would straight up not recognize it under any circumstances, I did nothing but exit the game I was playing the previous day to cause this to happen. So I went out and got a wired 360 controller because I needed it due to dark souls coming out in a few days, and as much as I despise so much about the design of it I don't regret it one bit. poo poo just works and will probably last a long time.

Yeah dealing with the motininjoy software was a giant headache and drove me to replace the PS3 controller with the Xbox one. What a pile of poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Until proper size SSDs become a Thing for consoles I'm okay with this. Loading times can bite me, I'm so spoiled :v:

Oh my god loading times are going to be horrible on the new consoles unless they come up with some crazy poo poo. Uncharted was only able to work as well as it did because it duplicated its assets over and over again to cope with the disc read speed.

Mandatory HDD installs are probably going to be a lot more common, and even then there'll be load time and texture read issues.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Maybe they'll have a fast hard drive and more comprehensive installations.

Let's hope they come with 500 GB standard, then!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

New Xbox ships with 512mb of shared RAM, vast majority of games for PS4 ruined.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can I just point out how insane it is that PCs now have freely downloadable files that magically improve how games look? Modding and related fields have always been pretty crazy and awesome(Still cool to think about how Doom is now in true 3D with dynamic lighting) but now games don't even need to support it really. You just do it. You can make it work on a drat PS2 emulator.

PCs are also the only platform that let you play the vast majority of games made for *any* platform, barring the most recent ones, going back into the 1970s. I think that's something that gets more and more important with each console generation that goes by.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You don't think things should be able to plug into other things externally?

No he probably just doesnt like that there are proprietary wireless connection protocols when we have ones that are standardized, even if they require a license fee.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah but I still have a bluetooth dongle for my PC.

Which is pretty rare these days, especially with laptops in the mix.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's rare on a desktop PC? Are there motherboards or cases or something that come with bluetooth? I've never seen one.

Yes, many motherboards come with integrated Bluetooth and/or wifi these days. Asus has made it something of a standard feature for the last couple of years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can do whatever you want with SweetFX. I use it to turn down the brightness in games that don't have a slider for it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reason posted:

OH, can we talk about wireless gaming devices? Why can't I seem to find any besides maybe a mouse? Is delay from it really that bad? I've been using wireless pretty much since it started to be available and with my first few devices I noticed a bit of delay, but nowadays I don't really notice much delay at all. The other reason I love wireless is being able to use my big screen TV and chill on my couch/recliner. My mouse is starting to wear out though and I want to get something fancy with more than three buttons.

There's plenty of wireless gamepads and headsets. What are you looking for, specifically? A wireless flight stick?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Microsoft banned swathes of people from Xbox live for playing a game before release. If memory serves it was a game bought in France, with an earlier release date, and played somewhere else where it hadn't been released.

MS has never banned people for playing games that retailers sold early. They've only banned people for playing games that were pirated.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Dark One posted:

RPG toolkits are probably far more complex than ones for first person shooters, no matter how lovely the explosiony physics are.

I don't think that's necessarily true, because as complex as scripting and such has been for RPG games it still doesn't hold a candle to the drudgery required to make a map in an FPS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

You're thinking of map editors, not the SDK. The two are not necessarily the same thing, though an SDK usually includes a map editor.

I'm thinking of barriers to content creation, and RPGs have typically made it a lot easier to create content resembling the quality of the base game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

homeless snail posted:

It means "hey spergs, give us all your money".

"Woops no one gave us their money. I don't understand what went wrong, we made our game like the popular one!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

calusari posted:

Good news everyone! Gas powered Games and Chris Taylor once again own the Total Annihilation IP. Lets hope they don't turn it into a MOBA.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.taylor.7923030/posts/10151770834636323

Yeah I hope so, too, but Chris already had his chance to make a TA (spiritual) sequel with Supreme Commander and it was "alright".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AirRaid posted:

I have a Steelseries QcK surface because I basically got it free. It's pretty good, nice and thin which is a big concern for me, I dont like huge thick mousepads. Aside from that, its a nice soft surface and pretty large for ProGaming 360 noscopes.

I've been using this for a couple years and it's great. I hate mousing on a hard surface, especially ones with textured surfaces that tend to pick up grit that you can feel and hear grinding away at the mouse.

• Locked thread