Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
If I could trouble the thread with another hardware question, is there a handy way to look at what aftermath I would get from a new processor/motherboard? I got a pre-built cause the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a pile of pieces that I may be completely unable to put together terrified me. More specifically, I'm looking at replacing my Core 2 Duo with an i5 or i7. Do I need to worry a lot about my hard drives/video card/sound card, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
If I hadn't splurged on the G35 "gaming" headset, I would never be able to annoy the LC mumble with its voice filters. Pro gear for life.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've used friends' gaming mouses before, but never really noticed a big difference between them and my $5 3-button Logitech besides number of buttons and being marginally more comfortable. Is a slightly higher DPI really ever gonna make a difference in anything but fine skill contests besides absurdly talented players?
Getting used to a high dpi setting is easier than it sounds, and although it's not gonna make most players way better at fine aiming, the ability to quickly spin around is really helpful in a lot of fps'. In Team Fortress 2, for instance, it's real quick for me to whip around and check for spies while I'm going somewhere. Not that I ever do it when it would help. The adjustable dpi is pretty handy too when you need to aim more carefully, like sniping.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
I know I could never truly appreciate S.T.A.L.K.E.R. without my 40 square miles of Ukrainian wilderness peripheral.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Real men use the huge, hard mousepads with "Speed" and "control" sides.
EDIT: And only ever use one side.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Whatever you paid, that all sounds pretty awesome and I'm sure you'll get enough quality playing time out of it to make it worth your while. And hey, no time spent putting it together, bonus!

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

- PC games have pretty much abandoned being able to sell them, but console games are moving in that direction too, they will be the same soon.
What, exactly, does this sentence even mean?
Edit: Nevermind, you mean people aren't buying computers for the sake of the games to play on them.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Agreed. If anything, this is more a case of throwing steam table scraps than cutting them in on a "flagship" anything.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
An MMO? If that's the case I'm guessing it'll be Assassin's Creed-related.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Surprisingly, I've found that N54 controllers from the Donkey Kong 64 console bundle have had the longest lifespan. My translucent, green controller has, to this day, a control stick as tight as as the day I was given it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
When I had this problem it ended up just being an issue of my power supply being inadequate for my hardware. Getting a higher-wattage model has totally fixed it.

• Locked thread