Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Magnificent Quiver posted:

The MX518 was definitely advertised as a gaming product through and through.

They really ought to make one without the weird pattern though.

Personally, I like the look of it. It is the only thing that breaks up the boring-ness of my computer setup. Black and silver case, a black and silver keyboard (and yes having it light up is useful when my girlfriend is sleeping and I want to get some gaming in without having a light on and can't find insert or print screen) and a regular black LCD. I feel like the MX518 gives it some individuality, or makes it less boring. I also like the look of the G500 but I'm more worried about how it performs.

I don't think they look like bullet holes :(

Edit - screwed up links

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Okonner posted:

What, exactly, does this sentence even mean?

I'm guessing it means it is pretty much impossible to resell a new PC game that people would be interested in playing due to Steamworks or the using up of a cd key + tying it to an email account or shops just not buying them because you license the software and don't own the game, whereas a console game as far as I know doesn't have (m)any restrictions like that.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

MX518. It's like $45 if you order direct from them and is the best mouse you'll ever use.

Seconding this. I love mine, and after using mine, my brother bought one and loves it. I have tried a bunch of other wired and wireless mice before but I really like this one. My one complaint is the gunk that can build up on it but I blame that more on my sweaty palms. Plus, wipe it off with a tissue and you're good to go.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Manac0r posted:

Quiet in here recently gentlemen.

Just for those interested http://www.gamersmint.com/crysis-2-worlds-first-pc-shots-will-blow-your-mind/

Some news and screenshots of crysis 2 on P.C. I don't know how I feel about this game. The first was 'meh' at best, more tech demo than in depth game.

After looking at a few of those screenshots, it really looks like they toned the details on the graphics way down. I realize this is a beta that was leaked so it won't be perfect, and I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of a game development lifecycle, but I would hope that the graphics aren't complete poo poo for a game released in 2011 that is a sequel to the game that brought top end PCs (for the time Crysis was released) to their knees.

I read this article on PC Gamer and he said that the game will take advantage of the PC, but then he dodged the question about hi-res textures, something that a console can't do.

Crytek CEO posted:

Yerli was asked by Edge if there would be any blurry textures on Crysis 2 PC, a common problem with cross-platform games that don’t take advantage of the PC’s’ ability to run games at much higher resolutions. “Will Crysis 2 have hi-res textures; will it get blurry? Crysis 2 will have a PC version that’s a PC game. We’re going to push it as much as the engine can take. It’ll be at least as beautiful as Crysis, but the context is different. It’s New York. Not a jungle, but an urban jungle.”

From reading the entire article, it sounds like he is using the excuse that not every computer could run Crysis as the reason for not having as boundary pushing graphics. Just something I thought was interesting.

Edit - to clarify, I'm not saying that graphics are the only thing that matter in a game, but for a FPS game, I want it to look amazing because the story and gameplay aren't normally as immersive as an RPG or even a RTS.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 12, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Question about PC maintenance. I feel like I should know the answer to this, but I can't come up with it. It seems like most of the time when I get done playing Bad Company 2, there is a fan in my PC that is still spinning really loudly after I close the game. It didn't use to do this. I'm thinking it is either my CPU fan or my video card fan. I have opened the side and tried to listen and discern which of the two it is, but so far I have had no luck. Anyone have any ideas on another way to determine this? I don't really want to go stopping either fan with my finger/a pen/something else because that just sounds dumb and could lead to problems down the road. This is mainly an annoyance because my computer is in the same room that I sleep in, and moving it is not an option right now. I have lately been shutting my computer down at night but like having it on, so if I can keep it on that's what I'd like to do. Any ideas?

Also, the idea of cleaning the dust out is a good one. I think this weekend I'll give my computer and computer area a good cleaning.

Edit - I think that might be worded oddly. Basically when I'm done playing a video game, there's a fan in my computer that still spins really loud, I can't determine which it is, is there an easy way to figure out which fan it is (maybe a program that can do this?)

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Athropos posted:

Just stop the fan with your big toe or something and figure it out. It's really not as bad as you might think it is. The fans on reference HD5870 cards are huge pieces of poo poo and the ball bearing on mine has been hosed for months. It does this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLLXrSwBjxs

I can't stand it anymore. I've tried everything. Sometimes running the fan at 100% for a while makes it stop, but nothing has worked. Cleaning it is almost impossible due to the horrible design and the fact that the fan itself is burried in a plastic prison. It's the most irritating sound ever and running the fan at 100% is actually more bearable since it's a steady sound, albeit loud. Today I finally caved in and bought:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=48358&promoid=1283

It's going to be a massive pain in the rear end to install but it's better than playing the RMA roulette or buying a newer, more exepensive card. The closed design on 5870s is so bad that I can't take it appart unless I unscrew litteraly everything, including the GPU heatsink. I hope I won't gently caress it up when I do it.

I have a 4890 so I might give this a go. It does sort of sound like that, but not as high pitched. Thanks for the video link. I'll take a look at this tomorrow morning.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Anyone mind listing their favorite coop games? No specific genre, just preferably games that don't have pitifully short play times.

Off the top of my head, I enjoy:

Titan Quest + Expansion
Magicka

If I'm playing with my brother and my friends, it is mostly Bad Company 2, but those two that I listed previous have gotten a lot of play time (200+ hours in Titan Quest) and I'm starting to rack up more time in Magicka. Both can be found for cheap.

When I get home I'll check my Steam account, because I feel like there's some I'm missing.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Scionix posted:

They gave me the loving name "ValiantCheese"

I am "TiringPear4" so I feel your pain.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Siroc posted:

Does anyone have experience hooking their PS3 controller to a Win7 machine play games on the PC? I traded in Batman a while ago, but with the Steam sale, I'd like to repurchase it. I can't imagine playing it on a keyboard. I googled ps3 controller on pc, but it gave me a bunch of random software. I'd hate to install shady software ti play it.

I played Batman with keyboard and mouse and had no issues with it. Your mileage may vary.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Update the GFW crap outside of the game. Saves a ton of headaches and gets you into the game faster. I hate having to jump through hoops to play my game, especially since I don't own an Xbox or have a friends list with Xbox players, but whatever. Arkham Asylum was worth it.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I still use a Logitech PS2 wannabe controller with dual analog sticks. Apparently most games that support a controller don't play well with it, especially those that are GFWL.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Who owns just one console / PC anymore?

PC which is used daily, and a Wii that never gets used unless my parents stop by, then I play Wii golf with my dad.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nickhimself posted:

I still don't understand why every single game out there does not come with customizable controls. Some games that have control schemes irk me to no end. How much harder could it really be to let people use the buttons THEY want to use, and not the buttons a focus group says is optimal?

I know this is goonsay as poo poo right now, but playing a game where a bunch of keys are bound to num-pad or arrows is loving dumb. Who plays with arrow keys? I'm left-handed and still run WASD. The developer can't seriously be so oblivious to assume that this "WASD thing" is only restricted to a few people and SURELY the majority of users obviously use arrow keys because they were so obviously designed for games.

Sorry for that little rant. I loaded up a new game recently purchased through Steam and couldn't believe how many binds were set to seemingly random keys. Drop weapon to Backspace? Really?

What game is this, just so I can avoid it?

Edit - Welp, just found out the first Splinter Cell is like this.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 16, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's a link to the Parts Picking Megathread. I consulted them when I bought my new graphics card.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371605

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lurchibles posted:

DLC isn't that bad though with smaller games, adding a little extra for a few quid isn't adversely effecting the market. Activision charging £stupid for some loving maps is bad though. You can buy "Magicka" for less than that, spread the wealth around a bit.

I like DLC like Magicka did it, where it's basically an expansion pack, or the Vietnam DLC for Bad Company 2. However, charging for map packs is loving stupid and should end. I would also really like it if they started to release mod kits like Bethesda does, so people can make their own maps, but as long as people keep shelling out $15 for 4 maps, I don't see this happening.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

This is what microsoft thinks pc gaming is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPYdgy35KA

It plays like a loving horror movie..

"heh, POwned!" :ughh:

PC Gaming: Farmville, Facebook, and avatars. Distilled into its truest forms. Also, "Buying this enhances my gaming and entertainment experience." Yep, charge for avatars, charge for online, Microsoft truly understands what PC gamers want. I'm glad we have them leading the way into this new frontier.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

Just further proof that RAGE will be a lovely game:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-rage-two-thirds-sales-to-be-on-console

At least they remember how they were made big :thumbsup:

Edit:

keyframe posted:

DICE.

--

His claim that developing for PC's first is the old way of thinking is the dumbest loving thing I have heard anyone say.

I think it would be easier to strip something out of a game to port it to console. I don't think the people playing consoles would have any idea they're getting a port of a PC game.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

gromdul posted:

Lets talk about comfort. What is your PC set up on, what do you sit on, and how comfortable is it?

I currently play in a overstuffed chair, with my monitor set up on an ottoman. It is a temporary set up. Its comfortable in some ways, but has a lot of drawbacks too. It is a little too low, so sitting up isn't very comfortable on my ankles after a while. The arms make an OK mousing surface, but are a bit too high. I'm thinking about upgrading to a love seat and using a pillow for an arm rest/mouse pad.

I play on a nice wood desk, I sit on a computer chair, and it is pretty comfortable. My only complaint is after a few (~3 hours) without any breaks my neck starts to get sore. I raised my monitor by building a stand of 2x8 boards and it helped, but I think it is still an inch or so low. Overall though, it is pretty nice. My cheap chair from Office Depot is hanging in there. Only complaint about the desk is I wish it were a foot wider, but for my apartment, it works very well. When I move into a house, I'll probably get a different desk, or build one myself.

I have my old computer hooked up to my 42" plasma and I have some less graphically intense games on there that I play from my couch or Lazy Boy with my wireless keyboard/mouse. Most of the time that computer is just used for music and movies, but some games I play on it include Torchlight, Puzzle Quest, and I'll probably add Frozen Synapse to that list soon. This is also a comfortable setup.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

And might I remind my fellow PC gamers that a can of compressed air is your best friend. I just went to town on my PC for the first time in awhile and JAYSIS there was a lot of dust in there. Especially the CPU heatsink and PSU.

This, oh this. I cleaned out my CPU heatsink and it dropped my temperatures 10 degrees Celsius while idling, and around 25 to 30 degrees Celsius while in game. I don't know how my processor didn't burn up; the only thing that tipped it off to me is my computer constantly sounded like a jet taking off.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Just be careful not to spray the canned air very close to any components. You wouldn't want a loose bus line to get potentially blown off (sounds unlikely, but it can happen), or some residue from the canned air to stick on anything.

I took the heatsink out of my computer before I did anything, everything else gets cleaned while it's all in one piece. Once a year or so I'll take out the DVD drive, hard drives, etc and blow compressed air in the hard to reach places to get the dust out. And as far as I know, you shouldn't be getting residue from compressed air at all unless you're holding the can sideways/upside down/basically not straight up....at least I haven't gotten any residue on any of the computers I've cleaned before with compressed air.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Master_Odin posted:

Is there any good programs for tracking how much time I spend in games? Steam has this feature and I find it a very interesting metric to see how much time I spend in a particular game.

Xfire used to have it, but I haven't touched it in ~6 years.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer. Only $2.50 right now and plays better with a controller than a keyboard+mouse.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

Lots of people hate this game and say it's very buggy and unfun. Just so you know.

Yeah I'm in the crew that hates this game. Could have been fun, but it went and became a steaming turd.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

GameRanger was bloody amazing when Demigod hit retail with that terrible P2P networking system. It was the only way to play it without dropouts and horrific lag for a long time there. :v:

Edit: I notice GRID is on there too since the official servers were shut down. Great job! :)

When Borderlands was first released and I couldn't join a game or host a game and have others join it until I used GameRanger. Gamespy :argh:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I can understand the appeal of headsets, I always hated desk mics and it's nice to have something specifically for communication. The problem is, as has already been discussed, they're going to be way overpriced for what you get. Unless you're willing to drop a chunk of money, you're going to have to deal with bad sound, cheap design, or both.

I bought a pair like these and used them for a few months, if you buy online you can find them for under $40, they're always "on sale" on Amazon lately. They were fairly sturdy and sounded OK, but I found them really uncomfortable: http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-Open-Ear-Gaming-Headset/dp/B001KUSXXU

I switched to a clipon Zalman mic when I bought my pair of Senheisser HD555s and am never going back.

I have the Gamecom 367 (I think that's the model) I bought 2-3 years ago for $50 and they're still holding up well. I like the sound from them and the mic is clear on Ventrilo. My brother has the same headset and my buddy picked up a set of them as well. I'd recommend them for someone on a budget.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Since we're talking about headphones always, someone should buy these:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/19/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-getting-250-ear-force-headset/

or these:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/25/asus-launches-noise-cancelling-gaming-headset/

and see how bad awesome they are.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

In my case it's the 965, only it runs ludicrously hot as hell apparently (mid-50s to 60s Celsius is common on Balanced or High performance power plans) with the stock cooler, though I'm told that I need better airflow... but I'm not sure that my current case will fit the Hyper 212+. :ohdear:

I thought I was the only one, what's up 965 bro :hfive: mine runs hot as gently caress when I'm gaming and I've been worried it's going to burn up, but so far no problems. The highest I've seen mine hit was 72 Celsius while playing Bad Company 2 in July, maybe 105 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I do try to clean the heatsink every now and then. I've been looking at aftermarket cooling solutions to try and keep it under 50 Celsius while just browsing the web, but haven't found much besides giant gently caress off fans. Maybe I just need to get it off the floor and on top of my desk.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Edit - I don't read very well.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Essobie posted:

I guess this depends on the test you use. I just did this free online one and got 80. And the whole time I'm taking it I'm thinking "I'm hovering; my form is all off!"

I imagine by that test and me really prioritizing not hovering over the keys I could get much higher.

Again, this sounds like the test your girlfriend was much different from what I did to get 60 back in my youth. I believe the test back then wasn't "words" so much as "sets of 5 characters without any mistakes, minus one word for every mistake not corrected by the end of the test". Which I imagine is a bit more difficult than the above linked typing test.

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing? I had something like that when I was much younger and we used that program.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
While we are on the topic of games having the same name as their predecessor but not playing the same, what the gently caress is up with the new Brothers in Arms game? I'm playing through the original three and having a good time with it. I did some looking to see if there's another one coming out, and from what I've seen it is basically WW2 Borderlands/Bullestorm. What the gently caress.

Edit - from Wikipedia:

quote:

The four protagonists are Chok, a Native American soldier who uses hatchets to dispatch enemies; Montana, a large lumberjack turned Nazi slayer who wields a chain gun; Crockett, a Texas native who uses a cattle iron to brand fallen enemies; and Stitch, a mentally unstable Irishman who shocks enemies with a custom made taser.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm really curious, why do so many games do checkpoint saves but not give you the option to manually save? I'm playing through Crysis (4 years behind the times) and it saves at checkpoints, but I can also manually save. Compare that to a more recent game, such as Bulletstorm (which I haven't played but from reading this thread sounds like you can't save anywhere) which seems like a big step backwards to me. Is there any reason why besides ~*consoles*~

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

by.a.teammate posted:

Any recommendations on good gaming headsets with mics?

I've been recommended this one...

http://www.sendit.com/computing/webcams-headsets/sennheiser-pc151-pc/gaming-headset/10064792.html

I own this set of headphones, my brother owns them, and another friend of mine own them, and none of us have any complaints about them. In Ventrilo I can hear all of them clearly, the audio sounds good (I'm not an audiophile) but games and music all sounds pretty great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265064

They are also about $30 cheaper than I paid for them 4 years ago and mine are still going strong. My only complaint is my ears get a little warm after wearing them for a few hours, but it's not like they start sweating or anything. I really like them and when mine bite the dust, I'll probably order another pair of them. If you do get these, they'll probably be tight on your head at first. I wrapped mine around a 2 liter bottle of soda overnight and the next morning they were a lot more comfortable.

Edit - most people recommend a separate mic for the desk and headphones, but I prefer having all that stuff in one. It works for me, but I guess most people prefer otherwise. Plus my desk is emptier.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 9, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

http://www.tested.com/news/xbox-live-coming-to-pc-with-windows-8/2452/ It seems like they just want to expand this brand. "XBOX" should mean "MEDIA" to people and not a specific concept/console line, according to Microsoft.

I don't see that happening, mostly because it's pretty deeply ingrained into myself and other people that when we hear Xbox, we think Xbox, and not media. I like the idea of rebranding it as a different name, maybe even something like Gaming Live, then you would have Xbox Live, GFWL, and who knows what else.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would think they would at least make the PC interface work well with the primary interaction setup for PC, which is keyboard and mouse. Not a controller.

^^^^^^^yeah what this guy said.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It also probably isn't necessary, but from personal experience, 8 gigs of RAM is pretty nice to have. My brother had 4 gigs and was constantly having issues with BF3 crashing all the time (but only BF3, no other games). He upgraded to 8 gigs, no crashing. Plus RAM is cheap.

I still don't own an SSD :negative: but it's on my list of upgrades to make soon.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would only encourage the use of GFWL if it meant I could play cross platform games with Xbox 360 :zaeed:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Back when Diablo 2 came out I could only play at 640x480...800x600 killed my computer.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Essobie posted:

Back when Diablo 2 came out everyone could only play at 640x480. 800x600 didn't happen until Lord of Destruction.

Edit: :goonsay:

Huh, yes you are correct. My bad.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Gotta protect your eyes from 3d swords coming out of the screen and poking your eyes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Platronics' GameCom line has pretty dang nice mics on their headsets. Headphone quality is hit or miss, though.

I have owned two pair of the Plantronics Gamecom 367s and I have enjoyed both of them. The only reason I had to buy a new pair was because my dog jumped off my lap, taking my headphone cord with him and cracking the headset.

• Locked thread