Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd like some advice about gaming mouse.

Right now I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 (bought it in 2008) and lately I'm suffering quite a lot of stuttering, making me extremely uncomfortable while playing FPS games. I've tried several "fixes" like setting up the number of the cores on msconfig boot section, killing ipoint.exe process (the application is updated), checking if my wireless router is loving up with it, replaced the battery with new one, plugged it with the reciever. Nothing worked so I'm starting to think that after more than four years of intensive videogame :spergin: is dying, so I'm thinking about buying a new one, this time wired since I don't need a wireless one anymore.

I can't buy a Logitech MX518 anymore in here (:spain:) and the G400 shows as the successor to it but after buying a few wireless ones for my family (M705 comes to mind), I don't really like how they feel. I'm still open to buy a G400 since I can get one for 29.95€ wich is like half my budget for a reliable gaming mouse. I have a few more options that I'll just link just in case someone has experiences with them and can give me some imput or maybe point me to other ones.

Gigabyte M8000X (48€)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3314

Gigabyte Aivia Krypton (58€)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4103

Asus GX950 Gaming Mouse 8200DPI (49€)
http://www.asus.com/Keyboards_Mice/GX950/

-Said Logitech G400 (29.95€)
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g400s-optical-gaming-mouse

My requeriments are:
-Up to 60€/78$.
-Wired.
-Medium/big sized, I don't like small mice.
-Weight is a non-issue. I don't care if its light, heavy or you can put a russian tank inside. I'll just get used to it.

Thanks!

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If your only desire is "a good mouse for video games" the G400 is exactly the thing.

Yep, I wrote a long post just to ask for something like that. While typing this I replaced my Sidewinder X8 with my good ol' Razer Diamondback from 2005 (my laptop's mouse) that will never break for some reason, It even lost the razer logo :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I finally ordered the Gigabyte Aivia Krypton because I could check the G400 and had that weird acceleration that is present on the M705, that and because I'll end replacing my old rear end G15 keyboard wich has a few keys not working properly (WSAD :v:), so a Gigabyte mechanical one will take over this summer. Once I get some hours put on it I'll do a small trip report. Wish me luck.

Fake edit: got that mouse for 47€ wich isnt bad at all after a discount.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm trying to pick out a keyboard, mainly for gaming but also light typing. I'm mainly concerned with the type of switches I should get. Browns sound like the natural choice but I'm still concerned that they won't be comfortable. The Frys near me doesn't have kiosks with mechanical keyboards. The specific keyboards I'm looking at are Das keyboards and the Steelseries 6gv2. I'm open to other brands and people's experiences though.

All reviews on Gigabyte's mechanical keyboards are really good: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4179#ov this one has either Red or Brown switches. I'm personally going for this one next month since it covers my needs: red cherry switches, USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 port, audio/mic port and reliable cords. It's kinda expensive (110€ in spain) but I already paid 86€ for my G15 in 2007 and I gave it quite a beat and is still working so if this one is just as good, will be money well spent.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is it similar to The Haunted: Hells reach? Because that game owned and devs put some patches that improved the game quite a lot. It had a fantastic melee system, simple but useful aside from really satisfying shooting.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't think I could ever use an unlabeled keyboard. Why on earth do you want that?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I play CS:GO with a sensitivity of 3, 2600dpi set on my Gigabyte Krypton mouse (no mouse acceleration and 1:1 dpi mouse fix for windows) and I feel like is when I played CS 1.5 with my old lovely optic mouse back in 2002. I don't know the math but why am I not spinning around considering that I play with such high dpi on videogames? I'm kinda disconnected on that matter and I set up my mouse to what I feel.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Wow, that's a 2.1 inch 360, how the hell do you control that?

Does that mean that I need to move my mouse 2.1 inches to do a 360 turn? Yes, I'm really used to that since beta 5.2 (like 13 years ago). I even played CS competitively on the 1.0-1.5 days with a lovely logitech optical mouse with an ingame sens of around 4-4.5. People told me is high but I grew up on Quake/UT days and I'm used to move my hand less than others that seems to need for precision. That or is my old Allsop cloth pad wich somehow "lowers" the speed a lot, because when I use a steelseries I got as gift I need to go from 2600dpi to something like 1400-1600.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

14-20"? Sounds like you need to move your hand A LOT just to check a corner unless you play walking 24/7 even on public matches.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been tweaking sensitivity on games based on what I feel more comfortable, not numbers since... Quake, in fact every time I got a new mouse I changed most of the games' settings. I'm a sperg on other gaming matters but not in that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks to the sensitivity calculator turns out that my windows sensitivity wasn't the default but much lower (3) and now my mouse is flying at 1600dpi. I had a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 previously and I think it messed with windows sens every time I switched dpi because I never changed that in years since I got that mouse. :v:

Thank you because now I can set up my Krypton properly for any other computer without having to worry about dpi settings.

Edit: The lowest dpi I can use is 1000 (with 6 on windows sensitivity and 3 in-game). If I go lower I can't play UT or any old-school fps (or Battlefield), but is still 5.5 per 360 on the calculator, yet it feels WAAAAAAY lower in-game.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 20, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

K8.0 posted:

FPS is a dead genre, nothing good has come out for a decade. Everything is random spawn zerg mindlessly or camp behind head height cover trash now, there's nothing with intelligently designed mechanics and decent mapping. TF2 used to be a decent game but Valve ran that poo poo straight into the ground to monetize it.

I hope this is a troll post because just during the last 12 months, great FPS games got released like Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, and even CoJ: Gunslinger are just a few examples.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I read the "chief" before the editing. He didn't say a thing about "competitive" mp games but the whole FPS genre so he just shat over tons of good games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, five DLC/map packs for BF3. Back to Karkand, Close Quarters, Armored Kill, Aftermath and End Game. :v:

I have to say that Premium (a season pack containing all of them) is well worth it if you plan on putting a lot of hours into BF3 and BF3 Premium Edition (Base+all dlc) goes on sale often. Right now might not be as good idea to buy everything but you can get shitloads of hours out of it and I bet even after BF4 launch. I still have BC2 nostalgia and I launch it from time to time because I kind of wanted BC3 instead of BF4.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

My main disappointment with BF4 is no mod support again :(

I doubt they will ever let modding on a battlefield game again. They teased/denied mod tools during the whole BC2 era because "modding is too hard" wich is dumb.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is a game that I'm going to get day 1. I really miss the board game and I hope SEGA doesn't kick the dev's arse to release it too early.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Warning to everyone, this guy is a dirty heretic who must be purged for not knowing what Space Hulk is.

Burn the heretic, purgue the unclean, kill the mutant. And if you use a thunderhammer, even better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Space Hulk: Corridor shooter since 1989.
or
Space Hulk: Missing a burst in a populated tight corridor.

(I'm bad at this)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Here's a great video showing the new Xbone controller wich will work both on PC and console:

http://au.ign.com/videos/2013/08/12/an-insiders-look-at-the-xbox-one-controller

The improvements that matter the most to me is the new d-pad being a clean shaped plus and the fact that it works both as wired and as wireless pad. If you plug the cable the wireless part will be disabled and act like a fully wired one wich is awesome. I'm getting one as soon as they sell them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Wait, people actually like braided cables? I can't stand those things, it constantly gets caught on the edges of my desk. It was one of the main reasons I switched from a Logitech to my current Gigabyte mouse. Nothing like playing an fps and having your mouse suddenly stick in the middle of a duel.

My Gigabyte Kripton has braided cable and I love it. But then I made sure that it wouldn't get stuck everywhere while playing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DrNutt posted:

As someone who cannot stand playing with V-Sync turned off due to screen tearing, this sounds loving amazing. Too bad I'm poor and this will likely be ridiculously overpriced tech.

I'm with you. I hate screen tearing and play always with v-sync on unless the game is buggy for some reason. I hope they don't go stupidily expensive :ohdear:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nnnotime posted:

FYI, Microsoft is now looking into issues with Windows 8.1 and mouse input for games. This interested me since I just built a new PC with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 with a focus on FPS games:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...m=1383189863858

I reported that on the Payday 2 thread a few weeks ago on this post with a fix.

I'm running Windows 7 and I fixed that issue setting the polling rate to windows' default (125Hz). But for some reason during last weekend MS pushed an update or something because I stopped having that slow mouse movement and imput lag and could go back again to 500Hz, even to 1000Hz now with my Gigabyte Aivia Krypton.

VodeAndreas posted:

Be aware that BF4 servers are still a bit unstable and crash happy - especially on some 64 player maps.

Still given me lots of good play time so far though without losing much progress.

The single player 'campaign' is even worse than BF3 if that's possible.

I'm a Battlefield sperg and I have to say that even with the lovely netcode and the constant crashing, BF4 is drat fun. I also agree with you that the campaign is plain bad, not bland or uninteresting. Just so bad that makes Homefront look like a good game.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 6, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

They should be much improved, since Sony and I believe Microsoft both built their architectures to be more PC-like. Ports from PS3 games were particularly awful because the architecture was so wildly different.

The main problem we'll have with ports is how lazy some devs are. We still get lovely console ports but our PCs are way more powerful and we just pass over that with raw performance. Thing will get more even now and most of the users will suffer again insane frame rate drops and such.

I really hope that I'm wrong and we get nice ports of everything because of what you said about consoles being closer to PCs now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It may not be lazy for a good bunch of developers that aren't that big but as much as I liked Bad Company 2, it had one of the laziest ports for an AAA game ever. You can say the same with CoD games and the list goes really long. I rather wait to get a game with a proper port than a straight up lovely one from day one.

I just need to browse my steam account (and lots of goons in here) with AAA games with lovely ports from well known developers/publishers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

Can someone recommend a solid keyboard? I just have a few criteria to fit:

+ Full-size (includes numpad)
+ Backlit in blue (I am ~xXx #1 pR0gamzor xXx~)
+ Volume scroll wheel highly desired

These things led me to the Logitech G110, but the backlighting is a little weak and the keys feel kinda squishy.

I have this one since May, is loving awesome if you ask me:
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4179#ov Gigabyte Aivia Osmium (mechanical).

Is the best keyboard I've used, is just about perfect for your needs.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Any news regarding Xbone controllers working on Win7/8? I want to replace my old 360 one already because after playing with the new controller, I can't go back.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Edgy Bees posted:

Microsoft commented that they will release compatibility for this sometime in 2014. So as far as I know, there is no officially supported method of using the Xbone controller in Windows.

Thank you. Time to wait until they release drivers for it. Can't wait to get my hands on the best controller in the market :fap:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I dunno if you have a bias for where the sticks are, but the PS4 controller is *really* nice, and is currently nicely supported: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

You're also the first person I've seen that says the Xbone controller is better than the 360 one.

I don't have a bias about the Playstation stick position, I also own a Logitech F310, but I still prefer the xbox layout and I quite like more the sticks and triggers of the 360. I use my F310 for fighting games (MK and Injustice for example) and anything that benefits from a good D-pad. I really want to try the ximput Trustmaster pads like the GPX Lightback because it looks like it has a good dpad, triggers and sticks to boot, being a good substitute to my 360 one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Internet Friend posted:

If anyone's in the market for a controller with a good D-Pad, check out the FC30. Mine just arrived today and initial impressions are really good. It passed the test of "Can I walljump in Super Metroid without taking my thumb off the D-Pad?" easily. Buttons have a nice snappy feel out of the box. It's USB or Bluetooth and has some nice little extras for playing on mobile devices.

The big downside is it's not XInput so you'll have to fall back on x360ce for some modern games. It's also made to be the size of a Famicom controller, so you'll be holding it with fingertips unless you're a literal child. The D-pad and buttons are all a good size, however, and it has no sharp corners like the NES controllers we got.

For the price of that thing you can buy either a F310 pad wich is both DImput and XImput or a PS3 controller with a good D-pad and actually ergonomic for normal sized hands.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I remember Morrowind and Oblivion being good games. Mass Effect 1 was good too in my opinion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think that's accurate at all. Skyrim definitely had far superior world design, quest design, leveling, and itemization than Oblivion. It was pretty much a better game in every possible way.

I think Skyrim is the best game Bethesda has released so far. Morrowind still has some charm but I have no reason to play it or Oblivion on PC and frustrate me with lovely gameplay (even if I like the games overall) when I have Skyrim. It also helps that I actually love the northern setting more than the others.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Charlie Brown posted:

I always laugh when I see the size of Nvidia drivers.
They're bigger than most of the games I play these days.

I take you don't play Battlefield 4, FEAR or Max Payne 3 :mmmhmm:

But yes, I have a fairly small SSD (only 40gb) and cleaning my nvidia folder is a task I have to do sometimes because it gets huge.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm still with a 560Ti and I struggle to keep 50-60fps on BF4 (flood zone for some reason kills my GPU) but then I don't have everything set on low, mostly medium and some on high. My 560Ti is showing its age and I may replace it soon with a 760 and end this because I want a good balance between eye-candy and FPS while jihad jeeping pubbies :saddowns:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

cat doter posted:

I'm not sure I would recommend going for a 760, Guillermus. ATI are priced super competitively at the moment, I was going to get a 760, then I saved a bit more planning on a 770, then the R9 290 was released and I saw the performance numbers (it can equal a loving TITAN in some games I mean god drat) and I got one of those instead. The R9 280x is a fantastic card in spite of being a rebadged 7970 GHz edition.

I'm not going to use ATI. Nvidia or nothing and as Argas said, I play on 1080p, single monitor and I've been messing with nvidia for years and I know how to set them properly. I also had bad luck back in the X1800XT days (I paid 550€ for it in Feb '06) and two of them broke until the third ran well for two years, proceeding to burn right after the warranty ran out. I like to play OpenGL games and AMD has some tradition about loving up.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

Nearly every time I do something with my computer, there is that scary moment between it not turning on and me realizing that I forgot to switch on the power supply.

I've been building computers for myself the last 16 years (and in my job during 7) and I'm not ashamed that I forget to plug the cable to the power supply 8 out of 10 times and I always say "gently caress, that's another defective power suppl... oh god". That or forget to plug the power to the motherboard but the "No signal" in the screen and starting to swear before realising that isn't plugged is a classic. In my defence I have to say that I usually do 3-4 things at once and for some reason singing Guns N' Roses is on a higher priority in my brain :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dirty Job posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent gaming mouse? My Razer Imperator must've hit something while I was moving to my new place, and now it's not functioning correctly. I'd be willing to spend up to 100 bucks, and if it's similar in size to the Imperator that would be a huge plus.

I'm going to suggest something different than logitech. Gigabyte Aivia Krypton. Works great, has weight customization (like any other decent gaming mice), gigabyte software is really nice and build quality is awesome.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

El Mido posted:

I just want to chime in and say that the Logitech F-series gamepads are pretty much garbage in my opinion. While compatibility with games is excellent, it combines the worst aspects of the 360 controller and the pre-DS4 sony controllers. The d-pad is mushy, the deadzones are huge, the grips are tiny and the triggers are stiff and difficult to press as they're completely flat. Once I got a DS4 I put my F310s away for good because the difference in build quality, comfort and precision is like night and day.

I'm really curious about the DS4. I googled a bit and found this: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/176263-how-to-use-a-dualshock-4-to-play-pc-games to make it work decently for XImput. I mostly play Fifa 14, some racing games (Burnout Paradise, Carmageddon Reincarnation beta) and some fighting games. Is the tool shown in that website the one you use?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sounds great then! I prefer to play over USB normally so I don't have to worry about battery. Talking about that, is the battery removable like the wireless 360 pads?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I might grab a DualShock 4 gamepad after trading in a bunch of xbox games next week. Anyone used it to play PC games? I plan on use it wired and looks like a decent replacement for my old wired 360 pad as the Logitech F310 isn't cutting it and feels garbage cept the Dpad wich is slightly better for fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

neetengie posted:

It's a great replacement, use the program from the PCSX2 site that was posted above you. I use it wired but the battery will drain pretty badly because of the lightbar if you're using it as a bluetooth.

Sounds cool. I heard the battery life thing before but I have two usb ports on my keyboard so I plan on using it wired anyways like my other pads.

• Locked thread