Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

FlyingPJ posted:

New Logitech gaming mouse, the G400. It is the successor to the MX518.

http://blog.logitech.com/2011/06/09/introducing-the-logitech-optical-gaming-mouse-g400-2/

I've been using my MX510 for at least 6 years now and I'm starting to feel the need for a new mouse. Now I can get the perfect mx510/518 design in a brand new mouse. :)

Isn't that strictly worse than the G500?

Fake edit: apparently it costs about $10 less than the G500. Still, the hyperwheel alone is well worth that.

Also I don't see why they didn't move the DPI buttons to the top left, it's a much better position (especially for remapping).

quote:

I don't really care about the higher DPI, I'm happy about the report rate increase, but what I'm really wondering about is if it has that tracking issue that is apparently hardware side that makes almost horizontal or vertical sweeps EXACTLY horizontal or vertical. I don't know what that is called, but apparently it is Bad For Games(tm).

The gaming version of SetPoint lets you disable it. It should be called "angle lock" or something ('vinkellεs' in Swedish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

slev posted:

Can anyone recommend some cheap headphones? My current ones have just broken. I'm not looking to spend much more than $30 or $40.

Prices are in Euro, but these are all good:

OPEN:

Koss KSC75 (29€)
Koss KSC35
Sennheiser PX 100 (35€)
Sennheiser HD 238 Precision (78€)
Sennheiser eH 350 (55€)
Koss Portapro (49€)
Grado SR60i (114€)

Sennheiser HD 515 (70€)

CLOSED:

AKG K 518 DJ (47€)
AKG K 512 (28€)
Sennheiser HD 218 (39€)
Sennheiser HD 228 (60€)

Sennheiser HD 201 (20€)
Sennheiser HD 201 G4ME (25€)
AKG K 77 (31€)

HALF-OPEN

AKG K 99 (41€)
AKG K 514 (43€)
AKG K 530 LTD (79€)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Essobie posted:

Firstly, if you actually use the + and - buttons for altering your DPI on the fly, you are using this type of mouse incorrectly. Its power comes from the increased number of buttons available to you to actually use in games to do actual game functions... not its ability to change your sensitivity on the fly (which seems dumb in almost every respect).

Not really. I *do* find it useful in several FPS games to lower my sensibility while using a sniper-type weapon from a safe position, and then raise it while running around.

That said, yeah, in 90% of games (and 99% of non-FPS games) you won't need to change it on the fly.

quote:

Don't use SetPoint, use uberOptions.

1) uberOptions is an addon, not a replacement for Setpoint

2)The gaming version of SetPoint doesn't really need uberOptions, I think it can do everything that one does, plus stuff like macro.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

edit: god I forgot to check the last page

There's also the Belkin Nostromo which I think is cheaper, trading the questionable LCD screen and a few buttons for a nice scrollwheel and a, by the looks of it, better placed thumb button. But I also think that one definitely has only arrows as its analog stick (since the "stick" can be removed to get a directional pad). Still, I wouldn't mind one as a birthday present:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 15, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Threep posted:

I'm pretty happy with mine, but I really really wish some of the keys had notches like F/J on most keyboards to make it easier to get the right hand position. Also I've no idea how they expect you to use the buttons by the stick or to push down the stick with your fingers on the keys.

edit: And the software is terrible but it's Logitech so I'm not sure anyone will be surprised

I'm more wondering what you're supposed to push G20-G22 with.

By the by, do you also have a Logitech gaming mouse (Gwhatever)? If you do, do they share the same software, so you can have one profile containing settings for both devices?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Red Bart posted:

That's actually the one I have. But gathering from your reply and the lack of answers I found on google this is not a problem that occurs regularly? Maybe I just need a new keyboard (mine is probably still from the previous millennium).

FYI, we have a keyboard megathread you may want to check out.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Taeke posted:

I can't find the First Time Playing Tips thread, but maybe I'm idiot. Still, I'll ask it here.

I've finally gotten around to playing Bioshock for the first time, and while I'm already pretty far (doing the Research Photography mission now, so not that far) I'm hoping I'm not doing anything overly stupid.

I'm not especially concerned, since I've heard many, many good things and the game is pretty much perfectly to my liking so far, perhaps there are some dos and don'ts I should know about.

Please, please, please keep it spoiler free because I've been intentionally evading any and all Bioshock 2/Infinite information. I want to give myself the best experience possible.

The thread is a wiki now: BeforeIPlay.com.

The Bioshock page is pretty thorough, but really, the game is very linear and doesn't require much if any long-term planning, so it's hard to screw up. It's pretty easy to figure out which upgrades suck and which are reliable, and picking up a few subpar choices definitely won't ruin your enjoyment (pretty much every weapon or plasmid is a viable tool of the trade), nor will being less than zealous with hacking and photographing. Worst case scenario, once in a while you'll have to actually use the VitaChamber free respawns instead of reloading.

The only exception is "don't kill Sander Cohen the first time you get the chance". Which I would actually amend to "the first time you get the chance to kill Sander Cohen, save the game, kill him because it's a TRULY beautiful fight, then reload and move on".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kashwashwa posted:

Speaking of old PC games, if anyone has figured out a way to get Theme Hospital to run full-featured, and completely normal on a modern system, please let me know...

I've tried the steps from this site, and it just doesn't work (I get messed up colors, lots of lag, and then it crashes):
http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...-7-support.html

The game also doesn't work in Dosbox.

I'm seriously thinking about building an old system to run this thing.

Try using VirtualBox to create a proper Windows 95 virtual machine (or 98SE, more likely). The OS shouldn't be hard to find in various :filez: sites.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If you need to, we have both a keyboard thread and a mouse thread if anyone is thinking of spending half a paycheck to save their wrists.

Personally, on the mouse side I'm going to be Logitech's bitch as long as they're the only ones with that hyperwheel technology. Used a VX Revolution for three years which took as much or more abuse than my laptop, then I got a desktop and put a G500 in there to be more comfortable for my large-ish (F1-F11 span) hands.

On the keyboard side, I've never had an expensive one and I'm currently sticking along with an OCZ Elixir II, which sounds όb3rl33t but is just a 250 kronor membrane thing that I got because it was the only one in the shop with a small Enter key, other than those glorified Logitech disco balls. It's surprisingly sturdy for a membrane keyboard, but my next present to myself is still probably going to be either a Lenovo "laptop keyboard for desktops" or this no-nonsense Cherry black switch one; I'm just annoyed at having to spend 1/3 extra on pure shipping because apparently nobody sells either of those in Sweden.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 19, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

In the market sector at 1/10th of that price, the Logitech X-230 are also pretty good. I got them when I saw a bunch of audiophiles with $5000 setups make positive comments about them, and I can say I've been pretty satisfied.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

I dropped about (NZ)$3k including a CD player.
I hate to be that guy, but... a CD player? In 2011? Not to mention that CD is a digital format, so you'd be just as served by any random computer DVD reader which you can buy literally for the price of a meal.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

I got used to the G110 and it's really nice I don`t hate it anymore. I just don't know what I'll do with 12 macro keys -- maybe theyll be useful in Diablo 3.

Do you have Crysis Warhead?

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I'm tempted to get myself a second 22" monitor since they've become really cheap; however, while it would certainly look όbercooldork, I'm not sure it would be the best use of ~1000 Swedish crowns compared to e.g. a mechanical keyboard, or (most of) a new point-and-shoot. Especially since I have an old-ish laptop that can partly replicate its function.

So: what are the really cool things you do with a second monitor that make you think "how did I ever live with a single screen"?

Also, without getting a 5000 word essay from the monitor thread, what is the essential difference between LED and LCD monitors?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thirding the recommendation to get better headphones rather than better speakers. Obviously it depends on your necessities - i.e. if you often have guests or like to move around the house with music playing - but if you can deal with headphones, the quality/price ratio is insanely better.

Warning: don't buy a headset. I made that mistake (it was like $3 more than the corresponding headphone model and I figured it would be more comfortable than a desktop mic) but I realised too late that you can't use a headset with an MP3 player in the street without looking like an utter retard.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I was hoping I could hook up a 5770 with a 375W PSU. Is that absolutely a bad idea? I have a bit of an old machine which isn't worth investing much in (plus I'm on a rather tight budget), and getting a new power supply would be like half of the price card. But is it a necessity?

I've run my 5770, slightly overclocked, with a 400W PSU with no problem for a year and a half. All the online PSU calculators I've tried suggest I'm well within the safety zone. However, my CPU is an Athlon II 250 that eats a pitiful wattage (max 65W), my PSU is from a good brand, and I don't have lots of other peripherals connected to it.

I think you could take the risk if you really have to, but if you're planning to upgrade the machine further along the way you probably want to make the PSU the first step. fake edit: Wait, BTX case, huh? Yeah, that sucks.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Speaking of Crysis 2: after installing the new patch, my 5770-based system is behaving oddly. The game is silky smooth for like 2-3 seconds, then it chokes for an instant, and so on. I had expected the frame rate to crash down, but not this. Any idea about what may be causing it?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

Are there any cool indie games out there that are all about turn-based combat? I'm looking for gameplay similar to Final Fantasy Tactics or Advance Wars. I've tried Frozen Synapse, but it doesn't have a grid or tons of numbers for me to mull over.

I've also played Civilization 5, which is pretty good, but too easy.

Elven Legacy sells for 3€ on Steam. I've played it a little and enjoyed it a lot. According to people who played it further, it also gets murderously hard (no real surprise since it's developed by Russians and published by Paradox).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Barring horrible surprises in the non-leaked parts, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is going to be very good at bringing ambitious nonlinearity back on the AAA shelf, so I can hope this encourages them to have Dishonoured follow the same path and go even further.

Could it be that the age of graphics-focused shooting galleries is dwindling down and a new era of flexible design is in its inception? :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

macnbc posted:

So I'm about to start upgrading my gaming PC again and one thing I'm doing is replacing the hard drive.

On my current setup I have it as a dual-boot between Win7 64-bit and XP 32-bit for backward compatibility purposes (mid-90s games, mostly.)

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's still kosher to do a similar setup on my new drive, or would it be easier/better to run XP as a virtual machine within 7 at this point?
VirtualBox will do just fine, though Windows 98SE would be a better choice than XP for mid-90s games. I believe the subset of older games that:

- do not work with just Windows' Compatibility Mode
- require DirectX or other features unsupported by VirtualBox
- are not available via Good Old Games or similar Win7-compatible ports

is pretty drat small.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

macnbc posted:

It's small, but they're there.

Take the old Lucasarts X-Wing and TIE Fighter games (I have the Win95 versions). On Win7 I have to install a multitude of fan patches and also manually kill explorer.exe before running the game, then manually switching it back on after exiting or else the colors will be all screwed up.

Meanwhile, on my XP partition, they just work. Also some of the mod tools for them are 16-bit apps, so they don't work on my 64-bit partition.

That's just one example.

According to this page, XvT works fine under VirtualBox. If you have the Win95 version of XW and/or TF, they should use the same engine and therefore work equally well.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I seriously doubt your room is cooler, given that your CPU is emitting the exact same amount of heat and the difference is that now more of it gets blown out quickly instead of simmering in the heatsink.

But you are right about the importance of fan cleaning.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

What's a good way to clean soft mousepads? It's a Steelseries QCK Heavy (the kind that's almost 1 cm thick) and by now it looks like it's growing dandruff with all the white dust on it. I've tried wet and dry cloths, sponges, and beating it like a carpet.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

What do we know about the release date for the AMD HD7xxx? I'm hearing early '12, and I think that's too long to wait with a 6950.
Are you the guy playing with three monitors? What game are you running that's giving trouble to a 6950?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

What the hell, AMD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRYvfhk7xcs

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

unSavory posted:

What's the recommended cheapish AMD gaming CPU now? I need something AM3, hopefully under $100 on sale or something. Should I just get an Athlon II X3 or is there a better option?

My Athlon II x2 250 does his job just fine. That said, after almost a year and a half he's probably no longer the best in terms of price vs. performance. If I had to replace it right now, checking the Swedish prices, I guess I'd grab a Phenom II x2 555.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Been out of the loop for almost two years, is it still true that, between ATI and NVidia cards of comparable performance, the NVidia ones tend to be significantly more power-hungry (and/or to run hotter)?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I play 1080p with a 5770 1GB (overdrived to 940/1200) and it's working fine. With the exception of Crysis 2 and ARMA 2, I play everything at max detail (though not always with a high AA level).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, my 5770 is working great, but I want to spoil myself for Deus Ex. I've been waiting a decade for a proper sequel and the trailers make it pretty clear that some serious eye candy is in the offering if you've got the kit to handle it. I'm quite happy being past the price/performance tradeoff point for something like that.

The DX:HR leak is one of the games I played maxed out, AA included. The game's eye-candy is in the art direction and design, definitely not in the graphics technology. The 5770 will be fine.

e: wait, you have a 512MB 5770, so maybe not. Still - I would heartily recommend running the game first, and then buying a new card, if you're unsatisfied with what you have. PC gaming is like an RPG in reverse: the later you buy an upgrade the better.

Oh, and Eidos has said it's OK to check out the leak, so you can go do that right now and see how it runs.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 3, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

Good lord, I figured this resolution was the result of an Eyefinity or multi-monitor setup, but there are single Dell monitors that can achieve this? :aaa:

How many games even support that resolution, and even more importantly, how many legacy games would support that resolution without everything looking like a stretched-out blurry mess.

"Blurry mess" isn't the problem; the problem is that for almost all older games the UI doesn't scale, so buttons and text are often completely illegible.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

kri kri posted:

Do people game with Flux on? I have a really hard time at night with it disabled since I started using it.

I thought it disabled itself automatically during fullscreen? All I know is that when I exit a game, the screen appears with its 'regular' colours for about half a second before Flux kicks in again.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Francostein posted:

Spain. I just moved back and I don't know any reliable webstores around here.

I googled and found this:

http://www.redcoon.es/index.php/cmd/shop/a/ProductDetail/pid/B305239/cid/8256/Logitech_G400_Optical_Gaming_Mouse/

The G400 is the direct successor to the MX518, so €40 for that is not a good deal.

Though, if you're going to spend money on a Logitech mouse, I feel it really REALLY should be one with the smooth scrollwheel, or "orgasm wheel" as I call it. Here's a couple options for under 40€:

http://tienda.todoumpc.com/comprar/Raton-Logitech-M500-Laser-Cableado_500106232_0_1

http://www.redcoon.es/index.php/cmd/shop/a/ProductDetail/pid/B237338/cid/8010/Logitech_Wireless_Mouse_M705_Plata/

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Amrosorma posted:

I should have mentioned this earlier; I'd be using the keyboard for work in Adobe Premiere and Ableton Live. I don't use the macro keys for games :laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amtel-KB163-PS2-Call-Center-Keyboard-/170628531281

Somebody linked this in the keyboard thread. It's actually a mechanical keyboard, too, so have fun. Autohotkey can recognise the macro keys.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

AC2 (and Brotherhood too) is an excellent game. I loved it even with keyboard + mouse. Sometimes I fire it up and don't even do any mission/sidequest/challenge, I just climb up some monument and enjoy the view.

The only complaint I have is that it really really needed a difficulty slider, even of the dumb "+enemy_dmg -player_health" version. I once wanted to die to restart a time trial from the last checkpoint, so I took my hands off the controls while surrounded by three enemy mooks at minimum health. It took them something like three minutes to finish me because they waited so long between attacks that the health diamond would regenerate :downs:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Avocadoes posted:

Are the custom maps as flexible as they were in Warcraft III?
Not at all, they're much more flexible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjuf7DELz9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKedeLKK8h4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZNrzKLO5I

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

fuckyoubitch posted:

How the gently caress can I crossfire my HD 5870 when newegg decides to pull it from inventory. Everyone else just sells used or hilariously overpriced ones.

What are you playing (and at what resolution) that goes beyond the capabilities of a single 5870?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

VDay posted:

You guys are missing out on all the fun with your "easy to install", "practical" heatsinks. Not much can scare you after you've had to put the weight of your entire 15-year-old body onto one end of a flat head screwdriver in order to try and force a bracket to clip onto the motherboard in your first computer. You're pretty much ready to be an IED defuser in Iraq after going through that poo poo.

Installing CPUs before the introduction of ZIF sockets was fun too. "Push this thing in with all your strength, oh, and if one of the 400 pins didn't exactly fit, congratulations you just destroyed half a paycheck".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, but it's supposed to make things simpler for the less hardware savvy. That will just confuse them more, since their $1200 Alienware will only show up as 5.8 or so.
This is probably the one good thing about WHR - it's a small incentive to push SSDs for people like Alienware who make gaming machines for non-techie people.

Rinkles posted:

On another note, any advice on downgrading ATI drivers? For whatever reason my PC (might be Catalyst might be Steam) decided to update the driver to one of latest versions, but it doesn't seem to be fully compatible (it's a fairly low end and dated card) and I've lost a lot of functionality in CCC plus games run noticeably worse.

Reboot between each step:

- Uninstall the ATI drivers (use the "express uninstall everything" option)
- Uninstall the drivers from Device Manager
- Run Driver Sweeper
- Delete any /ATI/ folder you have left around. Open C:\Windows\Assembly and delete everything with the key 90ba9c70f846762e
- Install new drivers

That seems to be the most thorough process I have found. On a different note, even going through all of that still makes the newest drivers refuse to run the Control Centre on my PC (it's not in the desktop right-click menu, and if I run it from Start nothing happens). I don't care much since I use ATI Tray Tools, but man is that stupid.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

My list is:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Batman: Arkham City
Mass Effect 3
Assassin's Creed: Revelations

That should take me until early 2012, at which point Skyrim should have the essential mods to be semi-playable and Crusader Kings 2 should be released in paid beta. I might pick up WH40K:Space Marine if the price drops a little early, it sounds like decent fun.

And not that I need to add more to the list, but what's so interesting about Rage? From what I've gathered everybody is mostly excited about the amazing id backend programming, which will be leased to a whole new generation of developers, but gameplay-wise what does it have to offer?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I still have to run into a game that convinces me to get a gamepad. Even Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed felt just fine to me with keyboard / mouse (granted, a 10-button mouse).

Well, there was Motocross Madness, but that was because it came with the MS Freestyle Pro gamepad. Though it was a pretty lovely pad beyond the motion-detect gimmick.

I will probably get a new, nice joystick if I get into MechWarrior again, though (either Living Legends or whenever that reboot gets out of loving legal troubles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

uncle jimbo posted:

I need a new keyboard, are there any goony as poo poo GAMING KEYBOARDS that are actually worth the money or should I just go buy a cheapass microsoft one or w/e

You could get into the expensive cult that are mechanical keyboards.

• Locked thread