Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

G5 (the blue revised version) here.
Nope. Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Manac0r posted:

What's the catch in using a PS3 controller on PC? A friend plugged his in and it was detected, but Sonic doesn't seem to like it. Was there a fix or some driver patch?

MotionInJoy.
It's pretty much compulsory if you ask me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Funny enough Dota 2 actually looks really nice but I don't know anything about how that would translate to an FPS game. I think Portal 2 manages to look okay but HL2:E2 just looks bad nowadays. I think HL2 itself actually looks better because of the strength of its art design.

It's admirable how close to the original concept art the assets in Half life games get to be.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

sethsez posted:

Have you tried it modded? The way it's set in the controller is a HUGE part of reason it's so awful, and the mod I linked fixes that.

Why get a 360 controller and mod it when you can get a better gamepad?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are there any major gameplay or design changes between Borderlands 1 and 2? I didn't really like 1, but I wanted to like it. I'm hoping 2 changes things enough to where I can really get into it.

It's very much like BL1, just much more polished and overall better designed.
The problem with the first one was it was born as something else, a realistic wasteland shooter, which then transitioned to the borderlands we know now on the rush.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sab669 posted:

How did the actual interface feel in BL2? I know you said you were using a controller so I guess it's hard to say, but god drat was it terrible in BL1. Recently installed the first again and I forgot just how awful it really is :(

All we have for the PC (as far as I know) is this love letter:
http://www.borderlands2.com/loveletter/?x

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My G5 stopped working.
The braided cable frayed badly and then the inside wiring just gave out somehow. I blame the lack of and protection on the mouse end.

How would I go about getting that cable replaced? I wound up removing it entirely.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im getting a 460 off my friend (for a bit more than free), could anyone tell me how it deals with current games, like dishonored or Farcry 3?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Balobam posted:

A while back there was a discussion on the 660ti and it had me interested in upgrading my 560ti, so after settling on this I just left it, since I won't be buying it 'til April/May.

But then today I decided to actually browse a little bit on Newegg (since it's US only I never use it) and found this. Is there any reason whatsoever to not get this over the previous one? I mean for just $20 that's an extra 1GB on what otherwise appears to be an identical card.

So any input on that?

And finally, regarding the same 2, does the fact the second is labelled as "Superclocked" actually mean anything? Could I still overclock it or have they already done the heavy-lifting for me?

3GB+ is only really useful when running huge resolutions, shouldnt have that much of an impact on lower resolutions, the memory bandwidth is the same.

Factory-Overclocked cards are already overclocked and you can overclock them higher. Usually it's better to go for the regular version but sometimes the overclocked versions are higher binned chips (means a better quality chip and can go faster). Honestly the only time you should go for a factory overclock card is when the cooling on it is much better than the standard blower.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Headset recommendations posted:

Ughh why.

:stonk:

Virtual 5.1/7.1 is a marketing gimmick, so is physical, since the difference in distance between the drivers is pretty much negligible for gauging where sound comes from.
You are much better off getting a solid pair of headphones, especially if you have a decent soundcard/DAC. Plus that means you get a great pair of headphones for your *portable music player of choice*.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The general recommendation is usually a nice pair of headphones and the logitech desktop mic.

This is true. A desktop mic is leaps and bounds better than a headset mic, and a pair of good headphones sound better than any Headset. Get the best of both worlds.

Give me a price point BizarroBrian and I'll try my best to cater to that.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 28, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Death Himself posted:

I never tried it but one of these might work.

But on topic:
I'm looking for a good, light mechanical keyboard that's also tactile and silent.
Which switch is best for this? I'm not sure about availability where I am so i'll just scan for switches.

I'll be doing a 50/50 of coding and gaming

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dogydemoc posted:

Is anyone else looking forward to Space Hulk? for those who haven't heard of it, it's a turn-based strategy game (very closely) based on the board game of the same name. There's not much in the way of information yet, but the devs have said it will play almost exactly the same as the board game. I'm looking forward to it as I don't know anyone who's into the board game, but it's a lot of fun, with a stack of different missions and campaigns. There's also going to be a level editor with the game which should add replay value for anyone who completes the campaign.

Soooo xcom:40k

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ularg posted:

I got the version of your monitor that came with Nvidia vision 2 glasses. These things:

They work really well but you have to make sure you use them once in awhile and keep them charged. When I originally purchased the monitor it came with the version 1 of the glasses. I didn't have a Nvidia card so I just left the glasses in their box and a few months later when I finally got to use it wouldn't hold a charge. However Nvidia treats you like the 1% as far as support goes and didn't even doubt my ticket as well as upgrading me to a brand new Vision 2 glasses in box.

It's more like 'HOLY poo poo AN ACTUAL REPORT TICKET GO GO GO GO'.
And then Nvidia swat teams dressed up in the Titan's color palette deliver it personally.

Isn't there pretty drat low usage of the 3d Vision stuff anyways?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jippa posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/04/survival-rpg-reroll-wants-to-map-most-of-the-world/

Have you guys seen this? I love games with big ideas in this genre. The survival/exploration thing has really got me ever since playing the dayz mod.

You know they could just use the money they could use developing this and fund an actual game of global hide n seek.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ramagamma posted:

I only played about 4 hours in so I didn't see the conclusion of the whole modern-day aspect but it felt so horribly out of place. I agree that a game with a historical setting is a fantastic idea but what's the point of intermittently putting in 'current-day' sections in an effort to appear meta. That was just straight up dumb.

Assassins Creed would no lie be a much better series if it dropped all pretenses of a 'greater story'. No future bits, no aliens/first civ, just say its loving magic that does all that supposedly super science crap.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I love the Pirating cutscenes in Nassau.
A bunch of hard-headed chucklefucks ruining poo poo they touch out of sheer hubris.

That is some good AC4. I don't want some middle management boss rear end in a top hat with an agenda of his own shouting instructions at me through a phone. I might get enough of that later in life.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I dont see that much point in going into resolutions/pixel densities so high you need your eye to start touching the screen to see the boundaries.

Yes I can see the argument for highest res=lowest jaggies but with AA getting so computationally cheap relative to going up another resolution step I dont see the point.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Goetta posted:

I used Better DS3 and it worked pretty well. MotionJoy also worked but it seemed like pretty dubious software.

Both are just drivers that get Windows to recognize the DS3 as a 360 controller.

Never use motioninjoy.
It's terribly coded and BSDs constantly if you unplug the DS3.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I should expect this, since it's Beth.
Fallout 4 keeps crashing, well not the game itself but the Nvidia Driver. I have a 660ti and have updated to the latest driver (i dont remember which one exactly)
It can't be the temps since it peaks at 65C, nor the power since I have a 600W PSU and there arent any voltage drops or other power delivery problems, and It doesn't crash in any other game for that matter.

Any suggestions?
(win10 btw)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not sure if you are, but I've found that Fo4 really doesn't like me overclocking my card. Sometimes I can get away with a modest overclock, but usually settings that would work fine in other games (like Skyrim, MGSV, etc.) will cause a driver-crash while playing Fo4.

Im running completely stock clocks on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My GTX 970 is showing its age already on The Division, I doubt it will even see out this generation. The next generation equivalent of the 970 will probably be very popular because it's almost guaranteed to run all PS4/Xbone-generation ports on high settings at 60fps and be fairly cheap at the same time. A bit like how the AMD 6970 or the GTX 570 came out a little ways into the PS3/360 era and effortlessly ran the remainder of that generation at 1080p60.

And you just know that trustly little i2500k will trot along all the while without a fuss. That thing is made out of black magic.

It's just that games arent CPU-bound by and large.
DX12 might change that but I'm skeptic.

• Locked thread