Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hank Morgan posted:

Anyone got any tips or links to software that will make multi-monitor gaming a little less of a headache.

UltraMon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Male Man posted:

I'm possibly the only person left in the world who prefers them, but trackballs perform excellently in small environments. Less wrist strain from prolonged use, too.

I used a Trackman Marble for more than a decade. I stopped because I literally ran out of parts to fix them with, and all the trackballs out there now are designed by aliens with twelve ten inch fingers on each hand.

If I could get a modern equivalent in the same form factor, I'd buy a bunch of em.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rinkles posted:

What's the appeal?

I have a 1080p 120hz+ 27" monitor, and I'm not-very-patiently awaiting the arrival of reasonably priced 4X monitors. I've gamed on 1440p, and it's worth it, but I'm not ready for that small of an incremental upgrade yet. (My primary monitor isn't old enough to justify replacement yet.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hello internet posted:

120hz on TVs looks really unnatural to me. I'm curious if it would be the same for gaming.

Youre not getting a 120hz input with TVs, ever. PCs can output an actual 120 frames per second, and then lock the monitor refresh to be one frame per monitor refresh.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ularg posted:

Welcome brother. I have the same monitor and gaming on anything else just isn't the same anymore.

VG278H bros unite. :hfive:

I do wish it was a 1440p display, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ciaphas posted:

I know a few other people here have an Asus VG278H monitor, so I'll ask here. Has anyone else ever had the screen go stark white whenever there's a resolution or refresh change, and have it stay stark white for as much as 30 seconds? It always comes back eventually, but it makes alt-tabbing pretty damned annoying. (Yes there's borderless windowed most of the time but my vsync)

I've had that happen, but never long enough for me to finish saying "ohfuckohfuckohfuck" in my head, let alone thirty seconds.

That said, since it was new, the thing takes forever to go from sleep state to display on. It's annoying.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sistergodiva posted:

I was really disappointed by Tropico 5, it kinda feels like a dumbed down Tropico 4.

Are there any other good builder games?
Me and the gf played Tropico 4 a lot and she really liked the old Rollercoaster Tycoon games. Some combat is ok, but mostly she finds it too stressful and likes the building mostly.

Factorio?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Great Joe posted:

Seriously, this. Mousepads are for ball mice.

...And glass desks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You shouldn't freak out just because a mouse has extra buttons. The G400 is affordable, comfortable, very reliable, and just a high quality product in general.

Ok, but now imagine that you've been using a G9/G9x for the past decade+. What the hell am I supposed to do now that my übermaus is out of production?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dont see that much point in going into resolutions/pixel densities so high you need your eye to start touching the screen to see the boundaries.

Yes I can see the argument for highest res=lowest jaggies but with AA getting so computationally cheap relative to going up another resolution step I dont see the point.

Maximum useful view distance in any video game is the point where a given object becomes a single pixel. In any kind of game or simulator where long distances are presented (Arma and just about any flight simulator,) higher resolution becomes incredibly valuable.

There is a limit, based on perceivable pixel sizes, which is tied to the eye's distance from the screen, which means that there is merit in the argument that sub-50" 4K TVs are a dumb idea, but with our eyeballs so much closer to our monitors, there's room for improvement, at even higher-than-4K resolutions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

K8.0 posted:

For what a modmic costs you can pick up a cardioid mic that is directional and much higher quality. If you're actually going to use VOIP on a regular basis and you have a legit desk, I think it's the way to go.

I just picked up a Blue Snowball for the same price as a modmic. I don't understand how he can justify $50 for the thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Reason posted:

Headset with mic in the $40-$60. What are my best options? My clip on mic died and my sennheiser with no mic are getting a bit aged though they work really, really well. Does Sennheiser offer a headset in that range that has a decent mic?

I spent more than that, but I managed to get a set of Sennheiser HD-360 pros, and a Blue Snowball desktop mic for about $110, all in. It's a pretty wicked setup. Since you already have decent cans, you could just get a good desktop mic. I don't know of a headset/mic combo that has audio anywhere near as good as these 360s, and the Snowball is a pretty awesome mic. I generally have a box fan running in the room, and it filters the extraneous noise pretty well. Plus, you can get real close and whisper into it and gently caress with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FanaticalMilk posted:

The eternal plight of the PC gamer: "I have a rig that can run VR in 4K but I've been playing Mother 3 with a translation patch"

Stardew Valley

:mmmhmm:

• Locked thread