Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Maxwell Adams posted:

Press conference is going, pretty dull so far. Here's a live stream.
They seem to care for linux a bit more maybe. Hurray SteamOS(?).
And maybe in the future they'll bring 3D TV for linux drivers, a man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

I just want them to release Shadowplay already. It was supposed to be out sometime during the summer. Now it basically doesn't have a release date because nVidia can't figure out .mp4 files.
I didn't know this existed, hope it works with 3d. I'm not into recording gameplay footage but having something buffering the video on the background in case something interesting happens seems neat. The actual impact it will cause in FPS is now one more thing to factor in when upgrading my video card since for now I only have a 460 GTX.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Because of the whole internet never stop talking good things about the G500 mouse and siblings I decided to buy one to check it out. My A4Tech mouse (bw-27d model) still works pretty well even after 4 years or so but still I wanted to know what is the fuzz all about and holy poo poo I'm not disappointed.
I just received but I already can tell the benefits of having a heavier, bigger, mouse but the best thing so far is the two-mode mouse wheel. The hyper-scrolling mode is really loving cool for browsing despite of being a little bit too loose sometimes.

program666 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 24, 2013

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Reason posted:

What desk is this? Is it available online anywhere? It looks great and I have a similar set up and have been using a little folding table.
I use a similar setup, I posted in the desktop thread here:
I find it really hard to find the right furniture to make using my tv as my main monitor for everything more comfortable. The support table for my KB+M is a piece of poo poo and I really wanted to replace it for something more sturdy but it's kind of hard to find this kind of stuff here in Brazil.
I also wanted a rolling cabinet to put my PC tower in and my second monitor and notebook over it so I could roll the PC along with my keyboard and mouse and second monitor. I thought of something like this:

but more open to allow air flow and with a table above it for my other monitor. Problem is I don't think such thing even exists.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

What I wanted would be something like the image below, but I'm actually looking for other suggestions on how to comfortably use the tv as your main computer monitor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I boot into windows once a day tops, sometimes I just leave the computer turned on overnight actually. Every time I remember so many people actually cares about boot times I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode and everyone is doing something completely crazy for no good reason but me. Also that Seinfeld episode where everybody starts eating chocolate bars with knife and fork.

I did bough a 40GB SSD just to install games and see if it would be any good and good lord, it's awesome for loading times. I really wanted you guys to point out somewhere that says that installing the whole OS on a SSD improve games somehow, then I'll be willing to do so. I'm guessing it doesn't do anything.

But what I'm actually interested in is maybe check if it's possible (and easy to do) to load the whole game into RAM, now that seems to have potential, I'll probably check it sometime and it would be nice to know if any of you ever tried something like that.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Page files and whatever seems good when you're out of RAM or maybe... let's suppose windows actually use it when you still have lots of RAM available (and that's probably 100% of the time even on a 8GB system) and I do believe this is kind of nuts but I would guess it will make use of it mostly for apps that are minimized or something like that, not for some data of a active game. But I'm just guessing of course. Also the time it takes to boot the game is really not that important you anxious people.
Besides I kind of wanted actual benchmarks. There are lots of them for loading times, and the difference is pretty clear and it's really beneficial since it happens a lot through a gaming session. I only use windows for games, most of the time I'm also using Firefox but that's it.

program666 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 20, 2013

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I just bought a dualshock 4 and I'm using ds4 tools to use it on PC, but I just found these drivers http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver and I was wondering if there are other solutions and what would happen to be the best one. Specially because the touchpad feels really loving bad right now and I'm not sure if that's supposed to be like that.
Also, is there a better thread or forum to check for tips for this? The PS4 general thread has nothing (and search isn't working).

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of wanted to use the movement controls on the DS4 to use it as a driving wheel on Sonic Kart. It's probably better to just use the analog stick but it might be neat.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure if it's just me but I use DS4Tool and sometimes it would require me to stop/start the server application, remove/put back the bluetooth dongle, start/stop the server, before working.
Maybe I should get another bluetooth dongle, but as far as I know, it's not THAT seamless, but it's quite alright.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

tophet posted:

I want a second controller for couch multiplayer games. I'd like a PS4 controller but I don't want to have to fiddle too much (I'm usually drunk when I'm playing couch multiplayer). Sounds like the 3rd party drivers are pretty easy but would I have trouble getting that and a 360 controller working simultaneously?
If you use the ps4 controller with a cable it will just work, and you'll just need to download the 3rd party drivers, but using the bluetooth has been a bit bumpy for me.
Another 360 controller is not a problem at all.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I upgrade when there is an actual need for it. "Need" meaning playing some game on the framerate my TV can put out at an acceptable graphical level. I don't care too much for graphical fidelity but I just can't wait to try playing at 120fps, I'm just waiting for 120Hz TVs and/or monitors to become more common and cheaper (I think those are already cheap in the US but not in my country).
Also I'm probably getting an oculus rift when the consumer version comes out and this will probably need a machine a bit better than my current 760 GTX SLI build.
Having a SLI build is interesting because I can upgrade to use two 780ti and keep using all the other components, and it would be a huge upgrade, but I'm guessing I'll only upgrade when the GTX series after the next comes out, so the next one will be cheaper (the 900 series will be the next, nvidia will skip the 800 for desktops), so I'm probably getting two 980 GTX next, but only when the 1000 series is out.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

the locking/unlocking wheel is pretty good and I'll probably aways buy mouses with that from now on but the G500 has a double click problem (clicking once causes double click) that I think I remember other people reporting and my own mouse seems like it's going to be like that really soon, like around 1 year soon. It only happened like twice but I think it's already happening to my mouse.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Not exactly like smash TV but check out nation red. It got a really great review by total biscuit, I didn't play it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

No.
E: I had some incompatibility problems between mobo and a too old ssd but that's about all I can think.

program666 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 26, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Multithreading. Many new games are taking real advantage of PCs with 4 or more cores.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

K8.0 posted:

The 2500k has 4 cores, massively higher performance per clock than the lovely AMD cores in the consoles and clocks to insane speeds. It won't be console ports that get me to upgrade, it will either be PC exclusives, non-gaming use, or running cooler that will get me to upgrade.

My mistake then, I thought this one had 2 cores, 4 cores will be good enough for probably a long time still. Also number of cores is pretty much the only thing that is getting "outdated" in CPUs (as far as I know) so I assumed that's what the other poster was talking about.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

well, it's the first generation of consoles that I'm following these kind of developments really close but it doesn't look like any consoles are going to surpass a budget PC with a 750ti GTX any time soon. Maybe this time around optimization isn't that big of a deal?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Digital Foundry released a video more or less about performance with the 2500k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwB1KRMpFdw

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Oh it's stock? I thought it was quite good already, and I mean good enough for 5 more years or even more, but now I'm really impressed.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I bought the g500 and holy poo poo the clicking does break quite fast, like 2 years of use tops. I was able to open it and fix it but it's not 100% anymore, that's for sure. Problem is, I now really want at least 3 features in my mouse:
- being able to switch between free-scrolling wheel and that other more rigid scrolling
- at least 2 side buttons
- being able to change dpi on the fly

Do you guys have a suggestion? I'm guessing it's kind of thought to come around a mouse with those 3 features.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

the Steelseries Rival doesn't seem to have free-spinning scrolling, and while I don't really care that much for the other features I really want a mouse that is able to switch between detent and free scrolling. The mouse with a keypad on its side is good, but 3 keys on the side instead would be ideal.

The worst thing is that it's kind of hard to filter mouses that have that wheel feature.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

yes, I heard the g502 was good, I'm just wondering how easily the clicking breaks considering my g500 was so fragile

program666
Aug 22, 2013

both mouse buttons turned bad in less than 2 years just from normal clicking, like really bad, and I read lots of other people complaining about this

oh but the g502 is pretty much my only option, it seems that the free-scrolling thing only exists on logitech mouses so I guess that's it, thanks a lot guys

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I should expect this, since it's Beth.
Fallout 4 keeps crashing, well not the game itself but the Nvidia Driver. I have a 660ti and have updated to the latest driver (i dont remember which one exactly)
It can't be the temps since it peaks at 65C, nor the power since I have a 600W PSU and there arent any voltage drops or other power delivery problems, and It doesn't crash in any other game for that matter.

Any suggestions?
(win10 btw)

Not that I think that's your case but once I had this problem running borderlands 2 while using a really old ram stick on a new mobo. The men stick would pass memtest but would fail prime95 in some tests.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

gurney posted:

I replaced my 24 inch IPS display with this TV (placed 6 feet away):

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E50-C1-...=vizio+e+series

Basically, I have experienced a considerable jump in my enjoyment of PC gaming since making this switch. Anyone else here use a big display?

I use a 40'' tv as my sole pc monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

video cards might be slightly interesting again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNv2hDr25k

• Locked thread