Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

Funso Banjo posted:

I am particularly looking forward to some deep game recommendations. I am always looking for a game I can get into and it holds my attention for a decent amount of time. So many games are awesome, but a week later you've had enough because it;s just the same thing over and over, or it lacks complexity.

Check out something from the Simulation genre. Their not everyone's cup of tea, but are huge time-sinks. Dawn of Discovery and Tropico 3 are excellent, and if you enjoy them, don't be surprised if you dump 100 hours into them. Civilization and many other 4X games will hold you attention for an obscene number of hours as well.

SwissCM posted:

I make this recommendation often: Don't cheap out on the Power Supply. It's one of the most critical components in a PC build and using some cheap-rear end noname brand is always a terrible idea. A 400w Corsair will always be better than a 800w Generic POS that comes bundled with a crappy case. In the past I always used to not bother getting a decent PSU and paid for it with unreliable PCs that ended up dying in some way or another. As soon as I started using good quality ones, reliability skyrocketed.

Anyone who decides to build a computer should have this drilled into their head. Anandtech did a review recently of three different 550W PSUs, just to show the difference that quality and price can make: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3985/three-550w-psus-for-different-prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

kiph posted:

The point is that it should be in 0% of them. And yet publishers are still putting that crap in their games. WHY????!!!!!

Same reason we still see Gamespy matchmaking being used. Laziness.

Its easier to just throw in some third-party software for social/matchmaking functions than spending the time and money developing and implementing the stuff yourself.

• Locked thread