Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

ETPC posted:

So the annual "microsoft tells us it's good for it bb" has started.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-wants-windows-8-to-relaunch-pc-gaming-917416

I wonder what the chances are that GFWL will be integrated into win 8 like IE was into Win 98.

I'll believe Microsoft cares about PC gaming when they stop throwing the PC under the bus by paying companies to release only for the 360. And publishing more stuff on the PC wouldn't hurt either.

The only near future "good thing" for PC gaming is the next generation of Intel integrated graphics on the Sandy Bridge chips in January. If Intel actually gets its act together with decent performance integrated graphics and drivers that work, you could play most current gen titles on any new PC without having to buy a graphics card. The biggest problem is PC gaming is the rise of consumer laptops that can't play games due to Intel graphics. Fixing that would almost double the potential sales of games.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
What's the best pure PC news site these days? I'm getting really sick of reading Shacknews as they're becoming more and more of a console gaming site with PC as an afterthought. Rock Paper Shotgun seems alright, but I'm trying to figure out if there's something bigger out there with more daily updates.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun is the savior of PC gaming news/journalism, unless you're just plain not interested in indie games, in which case they're merely good.

My main concern is that they seem to be so focused on indie games and "cultural" stuff that they're not spending enough time covering the mainstream AAA titles I'm (not exclusively) interested in. Don't get me wrong, indie stuff is great and I enjoy a lot of it but sometimes a dude just wants to read about Bulletstorm or Crysis 2. Blues News seems a lot more up my alley. Now I just hope they get in depth previews and stuff like that.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

ETPC posted:

Interesting stuff being, of course, hella video games.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=12785582

Battlefield 1943 after 6 months of no news and refunded preorders? Serious Sam III might actually be out this year?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

parmanaut posted:

I looked at iRacing, but it just has 23 licensed cars? I mean I'm all for a realistic experience but I guess the appeal to me of GT/Forza is starting with Civic Sis and Miatas and building up to Bugatti Veyrons and Ferraris.

I may try a month of it, though, because it is highly regarded, but it doesn't quite seem like it would push the same buttons.

My cousin is an iRacing fanatic. It's INCREDIBLY realistic, to the point that actual drivers like Dale Earnhardt Jr. use it to train, and most people who get behind the wheel of one of the cars will spin out and crash like I did when I first tried it. Don't expect to get home at 11AM after a couple of beers, pull out a gamepad and play this. You're going to need a wheel, pedals, and a gear shift. And it demands your full attention, including listening for tire noise and watching your rear view mirrors.

There's only 23 cars and a small number of tracks because they model everything to the smallest possible details for accuracy. They go out and laser scan every track they add to the game. http://www.iracing.com/cars-and-tracks/track-technology/ I think they're basically only planning on adding the type of cars that are used real racing leagues, so you probably shouldn't expect Civics or Bugattis any time soon. They do add a few cars and a track or two per year, but you've got to pay $10-20 per track or car. It's definitely not a cheap hobby, but it's a lot cheaper than any kind of real racing, even shifter karts.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 12, 2011

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

PC version of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood isn't actually releasing this week. A few sites have incorrect data. The real release date is March 15th for the US and March 18th for Europe.

March 18th? Wow, that's a lot later than I thought. I was at Microcenter yesterday and saw the Zotac 560TI includes a coupon for a full copy of AC:B. And that card has probably been on the shelf there for two or three weeks, since the 560TI was released about a month ago.

Amrosorma posted:

Ive heard only amazing things about AC:B so I am really excited for it. I'd be worried for the other games, honestly.

I will give Ubisoft a little praise for setting the price at $50. It's the least they can do when they ship a PC port five months after the console version.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 22, 2011

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
The Crysis 2 demo thread has become too much of a trainwreck to get any useful information out of so I stopped reading it. Is it true that it is only using DX9 right now, and that DX10/DX11 will have to be patched in later?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Tablets will be more powerful than consoles in the next year or two. Cellphones are not that far behind. They've already got equivalent amounts of memory, which is one of the biggest limiting factors right now. Sure, right now no one wants to download 8+ Gb games to their mobile device. Still, there's a lot you can do with a smaller size when you consider that mobile games are going to be much shorter anyway. Once you take away the game length, voice acting, and cinematics, I'd bet you could make a game better looking on tablets than current gen consoles in the next year or two. That's going to be embarrassing for Sony / Microsoft no matter how they spin the continued relevance of consoles. It's one thing to get beaten by the "expensive" PC platform, but tablets and phones are becoming must have devices that get rapidly upgraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Speaking of microphones, are there any decent USB microphone arrays for the desktop? I'd love something that wouldn't constantly pick up fan noise and typing when I'm not using PTT.

• Locked thread