Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Not to be all chicken little but it feels kind of bad to see a thread on PC gaming as if it were some sort of niche.

Anyways, as a kind of person that needs some form of mobility with his PC and power along with it, I've opted for the Asus G73JH. It has pretty much the same specs as the G73JW, except the video card being a Mobility 5870, which faired better in benchmarks than the nVidia 460M.

Despite being a bulky, heavy and ugly looking son of a bitch, it's a great laptop. It plays all games I thrown at it in highest settings so far (didn't try Crysis but I don't really care to) quite well, and the temperature has always been a little lukewarm. I'm quite blown away at how well this thing cools, but that's maybe because my previous laptop was a MacBook Pro which would sooner melt your dick off than play an HD movie for 30 minutes without setting your pants on fire.

On NewEgg, they've had a reconditioned G73JH that would occasionally go on sale for about 870 dollars, which is an amazing price for this kind of hardware. Now I can't really find it as it seems to be discontinued for good this time. The 460M version is probably just as good, if slightly slower on frames. I know the G73JH is also being sold in BestBuy with a WiMax modem installed for about 1,200, that might be a decent enough deal.

It's absence might also mean Asus is going to come out with a newer 17 inch powerhouse soon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of Crysis 2: after installing the new patch, my 5770-based system is behaving oddly. The game is silky smooth for like 2-3 seconds, then it chokes for an instant, and so on. I had expected the frame rate to crash down, but not this. Any idea about what may be causing it?

It sounds like some app running in the background is causing it. Close down as much stuff as possible before you run Crysis (I'd go as far as getting into the Process Manager and ending everything that doesn't look like a Windows service). If it runs alright, it was whatever you closed that was causing it.

If it's not that, it'd be another generic driver/hardware issue or some special case for Crysis and/or 5770. Don't know enough about either, though.

• Locked thread