Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Looking forward to this thread growing.

I have a Wii and a 360, but have always preferred the PC for gaming having grown up with a Comodore Vic 20, and an Amiga 500, it's just the natural progression. Consoles are great, but I always feel a bit deflated when an awesome game comes out and it's not available for the PC.

I am particularly looking forward to some deep game recommendations. I am always looking for a game I can get into and it holds my attention for a decent amount of time. So many games are awesome, but a week later you've had enough because it;s just the same thing over and over, or it lacks complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Monkey vs. Banana posted:

I tried to Google it but I can't figure it out, what the gently caress is the point of a blank key-keyboard? I checked a review and some guy was talking about his old spray painted board being replaced with that one. I get some people like the clicky keys but I can't see a point to blank ones unless your training yourself to type without looking. Who would spend 100+ for that?

No-one answered this, and I am wondering the same thing.

Someone clue us in, why is this thing actually something someone would want?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

The Shalebridge Cradle is by far the scariest video game experience I've ever had. Clive Barker's Undying can't touch it, The hotel level in Vampire TM: Bloodlines can't touch it. It's honestly terrifying. The game is worth the price of admission for that level alone.

Boy, is this ever true.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wouldn't even bother waiting for The Old Republic. I've yet to hear anyone who's played/seen that game say anything positive about it. And if the if one of the most talked about bullet-points of that game is "All dialog is voiced?", a feature no MMO player is looking for, then I don't hold much hope for it.

That's not really true. Check the thread in the MMO sub-forum.

Unlike every other beta I have seen, nearly everyone involved with beta thinks it's a quality product and virtually ready for release.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The latest in the Hacker Evolution series of hacking sims releases this week.

Are these games any good?

I enjoyed uplink, is this similar? Any where near as good?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Amrosorma posted:

TrackIR would be terrible for aiming things, but it's amazing for the few FPS games like ARMA where looking around is separated from aiming at things.

I wish more games did that.

I'm making a montage of upcoming PC game trailers for 2011-2012 and this is the list I've compiled so far:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag42gMGK9WrwdHZWQnktS3VCUXVCVWw0b2VnYUJtQUE&hl=en_US&authkey=CJX6xa0P

What am I missing?

This was last year's (and it actually was really well received):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_UOABfBAI

Would love to see a proper list like this for all genres of anticipated pc games. The ones Dr Vid posted, plus Trackmania 2 Canyon which looks stonking. I bet there's plenty of others, too, but I still feel like nothings coming out on pc unless I see it listed.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Could you please link to a review or two? I'm honestly curious because I really enjoy slower, survival-focused top-down shooters like Shadowgrounds. (I always found the "XX Shooter" games to be too click-spammy.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WdDxuK3ihg

This guy is pretty good. He's very "British" if that bothers you (sometimes it bothers me, he's made being British his entire personality) but he gives you a pretty good look at most games and is honest.

Dead Horde has zombies in it, which is the most cliche thing in games now and is a turn-off for me. But it appears to be a decent enough game if you can get past that, or if you actually enjoy zombies.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 1, 2011

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

My xbox broke and I have decided that's it, I'm not repairing it, I'm PC only now.

Right now I tend to play FPS's and RTS's on the PC, but I want to use my 360 controller on the PC and play some games I would normally use the consoles for. FIFA in particular now that FIFA 12 is due soon and the PC version is the same as the consoles (it hasn't been the last few years).

Tell me, will my wireless 360 controllers work fine if I get one of those PC receivers from ebay? I have noticed a couple times people recommending wired 360 controllers as excellent game pads, is there a reason they recommend those rather than 360 controllers in general? Do you lose something using a wireless one?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

whiteshark12 posted:

If you sync with a PC, it removes the sync with the xbox, meaning every time you loaded up either of them you have to manually connect the controller again.

that's fine, the 360 is dead.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Brace posted:

If you didn't get it, they were laughing at you, not with you.

You seriously felt you needed to explain that?

We're goons, 90% of all posts are taking the piss out of the ones they're quoting. We get it.

How can you have been a member here for a year and think you needed to explain this?

A PC related question
My xbox was broken as I reported earlier, and I am getting back into PC gaming. I got one of the adapters for my 360 controller to work on Windows, and am looking forward to FIFA next month.

What other games really make awesome use of a controller? I am asking because I generally use the PC for TF2, SC2 and other FPS/RTS (obviously mouse/keyboard based games) and don't really know about other genres. But I am eager to get some use out of this controller, what works awesome with it?

That batman game from a year or so ago looks the ticket?

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 10, 2011

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

If it's a game available on the 360, chances are it'll work fine with the controller. Assassin's Creed, Alpha Protocol, Alien vs Predator... that's just the "A"s from my steam list that I happened to have in front of me. Batman will work fine with it, yes - basically get any game you like (excepting probably flight sims) and you'll be able to play it with either mouse, keyboard or pad.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I meant games where they just aren't right without a pad. Sports games come to mind as the obvious ones, I guess. But there must be some others that stand out.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Maybe it's a test case and if it does well they'll do RDR (though RDR is only good right up until the ending then it has the shittiest ending ever).

RDR has the shittiest ending ever?

What? What the hell!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Category Fun! posted:

I know, and like I said I'm dumb as poo poo! I just heard that they're both free and I want to know which one I should try.

LOL is different enough from DOTA that it will likely survive when DOTA 2 comes out. HON is a copy of DOTA down to the core, and it's possible that it will lose a lot of players after DOTA 2 hits. On that basis, playing LOL will most likely not be a complete waste of time come next year.

Right now, at least, LOL also has a larger community and many more games played per day. Both communities are fighting it out for worst gaming community in existence, so be warned.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

spasticColon posted:

There's Diablo 3, Rage, Skyrim, BF3, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. My wallet is already crying.

Isn't Dues Ex due in a few days?

And the is no way in hell Diablo 3 is going to release in quarter 4, whatever Blizzard or anyone else might say.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

360 controller. It's also a vastly superior gamepad compared to the PS3 gamepad, in my opinion.

This is very true. I like the PS3, I tend to think of it as the better system, but drat the 360 controller is so much more comfortable. Would Sony be sue-able if their controller felt more like the 360 one, I wonder? The design is now part of the Playstation look, you see it and know it immediately for what it is, and I know they won't change it much, but it's just not a fantastic controller.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not really. With the PC version, you're basically getting the exact same game as the 360 version. The only real downside to the PC version over the console version is the UBI launcher that comes up before the game starts. On the positive side, although the game has no real graphics controls within the game, you can force certain settings through your graphics card control panel to get better texture filtering, or enable MLAA/FXAA for better AA.

Rock Paper Shotgun (my goto source for PC news) say the PC version is a pretty shoddy port.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Category Fun! posted:

A few years ago I did a college course on games development, with people who ate, slept and breathed computer games. One guy said exactly what you did when he saw me use alt+tab.

I come across people every day who use word processor/spread sheet software every day for their job, who don't know how to use the keyboard for copy/paste. and when you show them, it's too complicated.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

whiteshark12 posted:

Control Shift Escape opens the task manager without having to go through the menu that pops up if you use ctrl alt delete.

That's a good one I didn't know, but that's real useful.

whiteshark12 posted:

F6 does the same thing.
That doesn't work for me on firefox, while ctrl-L does.

Anyway, this seems to have turned into the PC shortcuts thread.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I am concerned that the vast majority of you guys are not sophisticated, or cultured enough to feature neon lights and etched windows in your cases.

What's wrong with you guys?!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

kuddles posted:

I love how people just throw around "lovely port" whenever it's a game they don't like. Gears of War is easily the best console port of any game I have ever played, by a long shot.

Best console port for me is Assassin's Creed Botherhood. That thing runs like a dream on great settings on a fairly average PC. I am always blown away with it every time I play it on my friends laptop. Forgetting whether the game is any good, just going on the amazing port quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is that the one where people were saying that the PC version will be the best, hands down?

Yep. They're virtually identical, except graphically, where the PC stands out as you'd expect. The demo for all versions are out, so you can compare them.

The PC version, despite being much worse over the years because they have used loder engines for the platform, has always had a reasonable modding scene, and if that continues this year the PC version will stand out even more. However, EA are for the first time releasing Creation Center DLC, which may clash with any modding.

• Locked thread