Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

the dad farm posted:

I have a Dell XPS right now that i have had since the summer of 2005. It has done me well for a long time but it is just not up to snuff with regards to gaming nowadays. I went online and looked at some pre-built systems and the costs are just way to high to justify doing that.

After reading the OP i am thinking of going the "build it yourself" route, however i am a little hesitant to start dropping money on parts. I am comfortable with spending about 1000$ (maybe a little more) but i really wish i had like a check list of what i needed and what are good long lasting components i could fill those slots with.

Any help would be appreciated!
Go to SH/SC, there's a thread there that will basically tell you exactly what to buy. The cost/performance sweet spots for high-quality hardware are around $650 and $1000 so you should be able to get something really nice. Building a system is not hard to do or risky as long as you can follow instructions and not decide to forge ahead on your own when you don't know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Brace posted:

I'm too scared of overclocking :3:

It's really not risky, and what are you going to lose? Parts you're talking about replacing anyway.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Forcing AA can do that among other things, that would be my first guess.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Chortles posted:

Any way to train hand-eye coordination for first-person shooters so that I can actually track a moving target with a mouse during a twitch shooter? (I'm looking at you, Call of Duty.)

P.S. You'd think it was easier with a mouse than with a controller... for me it's not, I'm sucktastic at tracking-a-moving-target with either.

Your sensitivity is likely WAY the gently caress too high (I play with 7" to a 360, that's probably a fairly good target for a game like COD), and you're probably playing with vsync on which in the case of black ops introduces massive input lag. You also probably have mouse acceleration on, which makes the amount you turn for 1" of mouse movement vary based on the speed you move your mouse at, which is loving poo poo. To fix that make sure enhance pointer precision in the windows mouse control panel is unchecked, also leave the speed slider at 6/11 or your mouse will perform unreliably, adjusting DPI is a better way to control pointer speed.

Your frame rate is at least as big a problem as any of that other poo poo but in the case of Black Ops there isn't much you can do because the game is a POS.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 7, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Taffer posted:

Just get a little table-top mic. $10-$20 for a mic that will sound way better than any normal headset mic and will allow you to still use your nice set of cans.

I've got a Logitech one that sits on my desk with a nice big glowy green button that I can turn it off and on with.

This is really the only answer. Headsets are pretty poo poo for desktop use. Almost any headset you can buy is going to be a huge ripoff compared to the quality of headphones you could get for less, especially anything targeted toward gamers. Buy a cheap mic and a pair of headphones recommended by the A/V guys.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

spasticColon posted:

So you're saying that my E8400 will cut the mustard until the next-gen consoles come out? Isn't the 360 a triple-core and the PS3's Cell on par with a quad-core?

An E8400 is already vastly more powerful than the 360 or PS3's processors. They were comparable to a low end PC processor when they were new, now they're literally 6 years out of date. You can play almost any remotely competent console port on a system from 2004 at the same settings as the consoles and get a higher framerate.

The only reason to ever buy a new system for gaming is if a game is OUT and you aren't happy with the way it runs. Buying something because a game is coming down the pipe is always completely retarded.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Bobfromsales posted:

Mouse and keyboard I'm sure isn't anyhwere near what is technically the 'best' control setup, but it's versatility is what makes it the dominant control method.

And I think 'versatility' is a trait that draws PC gamers to the platform. If there's a better control scheme for every possible genre i'm really not interested.

It's basically impossible to make a better controller than a mouse at this point. If it were, people would be using them and dominating. You really can't beat a device that can directly convert the entire range of motion your arm through your fingers is capable of into 1:1 input.

The control scheme in Metroid Prime 3 / Trilogy is loving pimp as far as console control schemes go, and feels incredibly natural, but it has nowhere near the precision of a mouse. You could have a very high resolution camera and get the same hardware precision as a mouse, but the problem is in 3d space you don't have something to rest your arm on to give you the same level of precision as your wrist on a mousepad. With something like the Wii controller you're basically restricted to just the movement in your wrist, because your arm is too unstable unless you're a brain surgeon. Ultimately there will be games where having some kind of 6 degrees of freedom input is super useful, but right now there really aren't any mainstream games like that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Borderlands is OK, there's a lot of terrible FOV spazzing but it's fairly fun with a friend.

Resident Evil 5 is a third person shooter and a TON of fun coop.

Dead Rising 2 is a third person action game. It's really fun in coop, but it is VERY Japanese and you should definitely research it a bit before you buy it because some people might not like it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

It was made by a Canadian company.

I know that. It's still incredibly Japanese because it's a replica of the first game in every way.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

What does incredibly Japanese mean in this context? It doesn't have any huge-eyed white haired pretty-boys with eight-foot swords, there's no turn-based battles or incomprehensible symbolism, it pretty much screams VEGAS, so I'm not seeing it.

You just don't see western game developers making big budget games with radical mechanics experiments like having the flow of time be completely unrelated to the player's actions, for example. Japanese, American/Western European, and Eastern European game developers mostly tend to have notably similar approaches to game design and the sort of features they value most within their geographical regions.

The way the boss fights function is also really more typical of Japanese game design, they all have gimmicks that you're mostly expected to discover through experimentation rather than handholding. There's a boss fight early in the game (the bathroom boss) that is basically impossible for a first time player at a low level to beat, and the game does nothing to tell you that yeah maybe you should just ignore that guy this playthrough.

Also everything about the dialog and the way the characters act is the hilarious Japanese stereotype of Americans.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 2, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Most of the characters in ME2 are modeled after someone, although not necessarily the voice actor. For example Samara/Morinth's face isn't either of the voice actresses, it's some random model with a really odd looking face.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Ravenger posted:

The only scary part of putting together a custom PC is the CPU, because of the chance of bending the pins on the CPU or fitting the cooler incorrectly. Luckily with modern CPU thermal protection it's much harder to fry a chip if the cooler isn't on right these days.

If you buy Intel this is basically as unscary as possible because since late Pentium 4s Intel CPUs don't have pins (they're on the motherboard which makes them a ton safer since you get the CPU in place and drop it onto them without ever really being able to bend them) and the coolers mount in such a way that it's almost impossible to damage the CPU.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

arca posted:

are these headphones really that great? I've used some steel series 3H's for eons because the quality is great for a £20 set of headphones but they aren't that comfortable and my mic just broke.

Basically I am asking if senheiser's are really worth the money, £80 for a set of headphones is a hell of a lot of money.

Sennheiser is extremely overrated IMO. A few years ago I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770s, and they're far more comfortable than anything else I've ever worn. They're expensive, but if you wear headphones a lot, it's dumb to skimp on them. Good headphones are really comfortable, sound great, and last a long time.

Come up with a budget, and check the headphone thread in the A/V arena.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 28, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Essobie posted:

It really sucks that WASD was, for some weird reason, picked as a cultural standard for FPS movement since it has no actual advantages over ESDF other than it is a cultural standard.

WASD has two big advantages. The first is that it gives you easier access to big keys which are harder to fat finger. You can claim this isn't an issue, but it is - if you were just as precise hitting smaller buttons you'd be best off in the center of the keyboard at YGHJ. The second is that you can easily control two buttons (shift + control) at the same time with one finger. ESDF's advantage is having easier access to 4 more buttons at best, but there are almost no games where you need even half the buttons you can hit with WASD in the first place.

If you actually needed more buttons, the ideal thing to do would be to switch movement to a single dedicated finger, putting a little thumbstick somewhere.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 2, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

Btw, with the more sensitive mice out there like MX518 or the various Razers, do you need to install their respective drivers to make use of their DPI? For example I cranked up the sensitivity on my Deathadder in Windows and now I feel it's skipping pixels here and there. I have no software for it installed.

I'm guessing it's subjective.

You should always be at 6/11 sensitivity in windows. Other settings are just ratios for pixels moved vs input amount. There are other options that produce smooth movement (11/11 is one of them) but there's no reason to use them on a mouse with adjustable DPI. Also, you should always have enhance pointer precision off, it's the mouse acceleration setting.

The mx518 has two buttons for changing DPI that don't depend on software at all. Setpoint is garbage and you definitely shouldn't use it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

keyframe posted:

All I could think of using it is "this is so loving unneccessary"

I am totally fine with a ea DD store, hell give your own games there better preorder deals that is perfectly understandable too, but why loving release a client app when %99 of the player base you are marketing to is happy with steam and don't want anything else.

What scares me about this is other companies will probably jump on this bandwagon so we will get ubisoft U play client, take 2 client, etc.

Steam takes 30% of sales for nothing EA can't do themselves.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You don't like the quality of something so you want to get a Razer product? What?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

This is the only mouse pad you should even consider if you have the space for it. They're cheap, have a good surface, and last pretty well. You can get them from a variety of places.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

lynch_69 posted:

Using a gamepad is a million times better for emulators than the keyboard.

This is objectively not true. The idea control scheme for digital directional inputs is four buttons, each with a dedicated finger. It's faster and more precise than anything else.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

WaveLength posted:

Hey so my right arm is going to be in a sling for about 4 weeks, which will make kb+m controls impossible or at least very difficult. Any good games for PC that use the 360 controller well? I have already played Just Cause 2, Arkham Asylum and Assassins Creed 2.

If you have a really beefy PC and don't mind dealing with the horrid annoyance that is simply switching the game to gamepad controls, Bully could be a good idea.

Prototype plays great with a gamepad and is a ton of fun - except the boss fights, which are among the most unfun things in the history of games. It's still well worth playing, though. The mobility is at least tied with Just Cause 2 for the most fun getting around in any game ever.

GTA4 has excellent 360 pad support if you don't mind playing a shooter on pad.

As mentioned DMC4 is a really fun game although it has a bunch of tedious "puzzles". The combat is absolutely fantastic, very precise and skill-based (the polar opposite of Arkham Asylum, really).

Dead Rising 2 is another really Japanese game that plays well on a controller.

You could probably play Minecraft well on a gamepad using something like Joy2Key.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Tufty posted:

Make sure your cables cost at least $100 per foot as well, and to get the best results they should have a core of solid gold and phoenix feather.

Don't be a dumbass, onboard audio lacking the power to properly drive good headphones is a real thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Red Baron posted:

So why not just buy a headphone amp and be fine forever instead of a card that you'll install and then have to remove and hope you can install it again? If power is the only issue, that seems like a better solution.

Because sound cards are internal rather than sitting on my desk and really aren't expensive, and will easily last you several computers. Why exactly would you want to use a discrete headphone amp?

MrMidnight posted:

Oh boy here we go.

Like what was already previously mentioned, unless you're some studio or audio engineer you really don't need anything more than onboard audio to appreciate good sound in games. Getting into amps or spending money on expensive cables or dedicated sound cards should be reserved for you audiophiles and not for people that just play games on their PC.

I didn't say anything about the quality of onboard, I said the power output sucks. Good headphones are one of the best investments you can make as a gamer, and a lot of the best options are not going to work all that well with onboard sound.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Manac0r posted:

This. Also I still don't understand why you would want more than a constant buttery 60fps (unless you're on a 120hz monitor). Unless you're benchmarking, 60fps is the sweet spot. Now having cards that can do this on your resolution/game/desired settings is the question.

There are multiple reasons, but the simplest one is games don't run at a fixed framerate. 60 FPS average means lovely FPS when a bunch of poo poo is going on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

I don't understand how you could conclude this.

In my experience, if the slight performance hit from syncing your framerate to your refresh rate causes your framerate to dip significantly during hectic sections, then I'd wager your rig wasn't going to do much better than 60 during the game anyway. And now you've got screen tearing.

V-sync is the absolute last thing I ever turn off.

I wasn't talking about vsync, but as far as that goes, you basically never want vsync in a competitive game. If you're ever dropping below your refresh rate, vsync would be destroying your FPS, and if you aren't, the tearing is minor and is only helping you. Plus, turning off vsync prevents you from ever having to deal with prerendered frames in most cases, which is the absolute WORST thing you can have.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Is there really a performance hit for using vsync? For instance, if you're running 120FPS, how would that even be displayed on a monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate?

There's a big performance hit if have more than 1/60th of a second between frames being ready, because the next opportunity is another 1/60th of a second later, meaning if you would get 59 FPS, you actually get 30.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 17, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Everything Sennheiser oozes quality. Even if you go low end, it kicks the rear end out of anything else in the price range.

This is entirely untrue. HD280s in particular are cheap crap and very uncomfortable. Sennheiser is overrated in general.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The price difference is absolutely worth it over the life of the machine, which is something people fail to look at. It comes down to how many dollars you spend per month of whatever you consider acceptable performance, and Intel has been far, far ahead of AMD for the last five years in that regard.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Shameproof posted:

I was considering getting TrackIR, but I heard that they dropped mouse emulation... are there any third-party workarounds, because I'd be more interested in using it for FPS games than flight sims.

Pretty sure TrackIR has way too much latency to use for actually aiming things.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That is a GTS 450, an entirely different thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's entirely doable now. Games can look subjectively FAR better when they're not trying to be photorealistic because your brain doesn't really notice things that look wrong if it doesn't know what right is. The popularity of attempting photorealism from like 2002ish onward is one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

kuddles posted:

I think he's also talking about the fact that if you make your graphics artistically impressive rather than technically impressive you're better off. Otherwise, people can always tell how "off" something going for a realistic look is by comparing it to how it's supposed to look in real life. Also, since graphics continue to get better, realistic graphics age far worse. i.e. Super Mario 64 looks far less dated and ugly than something like Goldeneye, even though the tech they were built on is comparable, and likewise Team Fortress 2 still looks a lot nicer than COD4.

This, but it's not just art quality or direction. It's a matter of whether you say try to make elements and systems such as lighting and animations look realistic or go with something more stylized and create a coherent universe. Look how great Wind Waker still looks - that's entirely because it doesn't try to look realistic and focuses instead on looking GOOD.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Orange Box is still an amazing deal if you're new to PC gaming and not obsessed with graphics. HL2 and the episodes and Portal are still some of the best single player games ever, and if you didn't play TF2 at its peak you would probably find it to be one of your best multiplayer experiences ever.

Deus Ex is absolutely worth playing, grab Biomod, the deus exe, and the dx10 renderer linked in the decennial thread and have at it. It's still in the top 3 games I've ever played. Invisible War, despite what goons will tell you, is also well worth playing. If it didn't have Deus Ex in the title it would be called a very good game, it just can't live up to how good the original is. You won't need to play either of them to enjoy HR, though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you're in the market for a new mouse, you should probably be waiting for the G300 to come out early next month. It looks to be a pretty dramatic improvement on the MX518/G400, with more buttons, all on the face, and no angle snapping/prediction. It's got a higher DPI sensor as well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Unplug everything you don't need to boot, and work from there. Start with something like prime95 for 12 hours. If that doesn't crash it, your CPU/memory/motherboard are probably fine. Then move to stress-testing your video card. Then start plugging other poo poo in.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

These are the best mouse pads.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Also EA wouldn't be using a proxy registrant on a site like that. You fell for a really obvious scam. Change your passwords on anything you provided them with info on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

This is the craziest poo poo ever:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-will-require-a-permanent-internet-connection/

This is the sound of my heart breaking.

Get..out...of here...Stalker :qq:

What the gently caress kind of backward-rear end logic is he using? First he says they need unreasonable copy protection to stop piracy within reason, then he admits that piracy does in fact generate sales among poor people who can't afford to drop cash on a game without knowing it is good, and that they want to exploit this.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The G300 is amazing. No angle snapping, not a lovely laser, fantastic button design.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They're both primarily interactive stories, not really games. ME1 has mediocre combat and zero balance, ME2 is more balanced but the combat is the modern standard cover shooter atrocity against game design.

You should definitely play ME1 first because there are a ton of little carryovers that will greatly enhance your enjoyment. Overall, the most important thing to know is to always be an rear end in a top hat, because unlike almost every other game Mass Effect doesn't punish you for being a dick and it's by far the more enjoyable of the two paths.

The side quests in ME1 are generally good, but don't waste your time on collection quests. Aside from the one on the citadel, you get nothing for doing them, and even the citadel one just gives you a tiny bit of largely irrelevant backstory.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There is no remotely sane argument against quicksave/load. If people want to cheat/exploit a game, they will. It's stupid to take options for trying things away from people just because some morons are too dumb to not exploit things they claim to not want to exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The G400 is just a better MX518. If you don't want a change, get that.

This is the best mousepad you can get. It's big as gently caress, comfortable, works well, and when it gets nasty you just chuck it and get another because it's cheap.

• Locked thread