Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Revitalized posted:

G400 or G500

I picked up the 500 yesterday and it's lovely. I had a mx510 before. For me the price difference between the 400 & 500 was only £10 and the extra features on the 500 more than made up for the price. You can't go wrong with the 400 but if you have the extra cash get the 500.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Stupid question I'm sure but I've just recently got back into PC gaming after going to consoles for 8 or so years and I keep seeing this 'Borderless' option which I don't remember being around before and people whining when it isn't in games. What are the benefits and negatives to it? Does it only have an effect on windowed mode?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 5, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I see thanks, I was playing around with it and couldn't figure it out (I have 1 monitor) now I see I can bring other windows in front of it without minimising the game. Very handy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah I've noticed lots of games gently caress up if you alt-tab out in full screen. Would have thought that problem would have gone away by now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I seriously cannot believe that Battlefield 4 is a thing already. That is stunning to me.

Really? Even after they copied COD elite?
EA are seriously determined to take 'worst publisher' back off activision. Who am I kidding, they did this when they shut down multiplayer servers for games less than a year old.

I'm not going to boycott Battlefield 4 or anything silly but B3 was a big disappointment for me even if you ignore the fact it was broken for the first 6 months. They will have to do a lot to get me interested in the series again.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 18, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

CerebralDonut posted:

Why was B3 a disappointment to you? I'm curious because it seems like a lot of people have this opinion about it.

It felt in many ways a step backwards from Bad Company 2. Smaller maps, less destruction and poor map design all lead to a game I just never fell in love with like BC2 or the previous games. BC2 was by no means perfect, it had some huge glaring issues but it had the battlefield 'it' factor that I have never felt with BF3.

Then you factor in BF3s dlc pricing structure and glacial patch speed and you are left with a game I just don't care about any more.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

kuddles posted:

I was kind of hoping they were making Bad Company 3 for next year.

Same here, I really enjoyed the goofy single player games in both bad companies. BF3 single player on the other hand I never even finished, it was terrible but at the same time single player in a battlefield game is just an extra so I don't hold that against it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, sorry to cause any confusion. I had the wireless adapter plugged in at the time, but it didn't install any drivers or anything, so when I plugged in the controller, I jumped to the conclusion that the wireless adapter wasn't needed at that point since it didn't appear to be functional.

I don't think the plug and play cable transfers any data what so ever, only power. So without a wireless adapter it won't work.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Thought this place would be more appropriate as the steam thread is more digital sales.

For those UK goons, go check out your local Blockbuster (yes we still have those) they are having games sale and the PC games are steam summer sale cheap. I've picked up Max Payne 3 for a tenner and darkness 2, dead island, assassin's creed 2 and Bf3 close quarters for all £2 each.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 26, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I don't think it's purely age. As you get older you just don't have the time to sink in the hours and hours into a single game you did when you were back in school.

I've got a friend in his late 40's who, when I do play with him, regularly tops the leaderboards. He just has a lot of spare time due to his job so plays every day. This might not still be the case if Quake and UT still ruled supreme but with todays much slower more tactical shooters I don't think age hinders you all that much.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 10, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Batham posted:

If I quit playing battlefield for just a week, I noticeably suck a lot more. Which is also the reason why pro-gamers stick exclusively to one game. I'm not saying they never play other games, but they'll focus on one.

When I was a kid I could only afford a few games a year, I'd rack up hundreds and hundreds of hours on a single title. These days I barely go 20 hours before tossing it aside to try out the next one in my steam backlog. It's not helped that half of franchises have become a yearly thing these days either.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 10, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

mcvey posted:

Just got a BenQ XL240T and holy poo poo what a difference. Going to a 120hz monitor is a huuuuuge step up over anything else. Highly recommended if you're monitor shopping and can afford it.

Remember though, it's not just the monitor, you need a PC that can spit out enough frames to take advantage of it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

I don't really believe this because I see people posting literally all day in games threads and poo poo about AMD drivers loving up and crashing their computers or crashing games etc.

The new 12.11 beta drivers that came out this month are amazing. AMD beat Nvidia for power/cost with the higher up cards since the price drop a few months ago.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 25, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

macnbc posted:

I don't know what AMD/ATI is like these days, but over the past decade I've had 3 PCs that have used ATI and 3 that have used nVidia.

I lost count of the number of times that I had driver issues, weird graphical glitches, or other one-off issues on the ATIs. I've never had a single one with the nVidias.

Granted that's anecdotal, but I wouldn't get an AMD/ATI card at this point even if the ATI cards were twice as powerful and half the cost.

And I have had 3 AMDs and one NVidia and only the Nvidia had issues so yes it is anecdotal.

I'd buy Nvidia again though if they started being price competitive.

edit

I lie, I also had a Geforce 2 MX400 which was a great card!

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 25, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Someone should just find all the places where poo poo got hosed up with drivers and count them up. Ati has had persistent problems with opengl for a while now so I bet that they'd have more.

If you did just the last 2 years then yeah Nvidia have had better drivers. Over the years though both companies have had their ups and downs. Brand loyalty is stupid and you should buy the best card at the time and by how the company is performing at that time.

Earlier this year I would say Nvidia but after the newest drivers and the price drop of the 7950 and 7970 I find it hard to suggest going green.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I love the Sidewinder X4.

I second this. It's an excellent keyboard and because it's no longer the newest in the sidewinder line the price has plummeted.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Chortles posted:

Below $200 absolutely and under $250 maybe, but lately I'm considering this MSI 660 Ti 2 GB for $240 after rebate (December 31 being the last day to buy) especially since apparently the 660 Ti (not just MSI's) beats out both the 7850 and 7870 for gaming?

The 660Ti is a great card and that's a really good deal. It's a smidge faster than the 7870 yes. Normally I'd say stretch for a 7950 but that's a nice discount and the extra $60 might be too much for you.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 29, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm running an HD4850 and I still haven't found a game I need to turn down to low at 1080p.

I'd be shocked if your games are all running above 60 fps.

This isn't directly at you either, lots of people stating here that their cards run 1080p at ultra are either oblivious to or ignoring the fact that they are doing it at well below 60 fps.

Saying that I agree a medium card is the best purchase for most people, you will notice £100 far more than the difference between high and ultra.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 3, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Unless you're playing a fast paced twitch shooter or a fighting game then having 60 fps won't make a difference to the experience for the vast majority of people.

I play a lot of these though so my eyes have become accustomed to 60frames and I find it jarring playing at anything lower. Which is odd as I had been playing console exclusively for 4 years before getting back into PC and with the exception of COD almost nothing runs at 60fps on Xbox/ps3.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

People have different views on what is playable and what isn't. So when you're trying to get across a cards power it's pretty much accepted by most you go with 60fps as the mark and tell them what settings it needs to hit that mark in game.

Saying your card runs a game at ultra is meaningless if you don't have a set fps mark.

kuddles posted:

It's screen tearing and sudden framerate drops that gets to me way more than a low FPS, so I'm a vsync + triple buffering guy. I'ld prefer 60 FPS, especially with racers, but I'm fine with 30 as well, as long as it's consistent and not constantly fluctuating.

Ha ha I'm a hater of any kind of mouse lag. I'll put up with it in single player but in multiplayer I have Vsync off in every game I own, tearing be damned.

While on the subject I also hate mouse acceleration and far too many games make it difficult to switch it off. Having a raw input setting should be compulsory in every game.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 3, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ularg posted:

I hope the new console generation will come out soon and give us some really great hardware.

Consoles might be keeping game graphics back a little but I don't think they are having the same effect with hardware.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I'm definitely with Valve in that I think the problem of piracy on PC is something certain developers vastly overstate. These are often devs that make mediocre games for with specific, dumber console audience in mind and/or don't bother porting the game to PC properly. It then doesn't meet sales expectations, obviously. Said devs then go on to pitch a fit when it becomes apparent that people were torrenting it, like they always do with every game, and like they always will. Another thing the publishers fail to mention is their idiotic regional pricing and staggered release availability of their game in other parts of the world provide an incentive to get it early by illegitimate means. It's worth keeping in mind that piracy is very much a global thing partly due to all this.

Of course, devs' complaints become non-existent or something they come out handwaving if their game does well commercially, even if it's a game that's trivially easy to pirate like Minecraft.

Console piracy was much easier during the PS2/Xbox era also, when PC games started hitting a serious decline. iOS and Android have rampant piracy, but they're gaining a lot of ground on the 3DS and Vita (the latter being nearly dead in the water ), both of which do not have easy ways to pirate games. So really the correlation between (ease of) piracy on a given platform and decline sales is impossible to prove either way, but it's becoming increasingly clear that it's a scapegoat for devs who make stuff that isn't that good anyway.

All I wanted to say otherwise is that the console side of the business has become stagnant in more ways than just hardware and PC has seen plenty of renewed interest in the past couple years as a result. Things are looking up Up UP!

Piracy is an issue, but I do certainly agree that some developers vastly over state the problem. Many devs moan about 3 million pirated copies what they often don't mention is that 80% of those downloads came from countries such as Russia and China. These countries simply would not play the game if they had no option to pirate it and in some ways it's hard to blame them. Very few devs put in any support for countries that are not in either North America or Europe.

I used to be a terrible pirate for both PC and Xbox360. For PC I haven't pirated a game for about 5 years for 3 reasons mostly, I have disposable income now, games are more fairly priced on PC and steam makes it easier to buy games than pirate them (I also have learnt through working the value of being paid for a hard days work and a job well done so like to give developers money for a game I have enjoyed)
With XB360 though, even after I stopped pirating games, developers saw no more money from me. I bought all multiplayer games new anyway to play on a none flashed xbox and pirated short single player games. The only thing that changed after I stopped pirating is that I started buying those short single player games pre-owned. The console pre-owned market is worth millions and developers don't see a penny of it, I'm pretty sure 'lost revenue' from piracy is far less than it is from pre-owned games (they aren't the same of course, revenue lost through pre-owned is even more difficult to judge since so many people trade in games and put the amount towards a new game, but it's still a lot)

This is of course something that the developers don't talk about much as its bad press but behind the scenes they are working hard to suppress sales. First they introduced one use only codes and there have been strong rumours of the next consoles featuring technology that will tie games to those consoles or accounts, stunting the 2nd hand market. Of course there are legal complications with something like this so I doubt it will become reality but I have no doubt they are trying to find ways to implement it in some way.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 5, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Of course if they can and do go ahead with something like this it's likely Sony and Microsoft would come to an agreement. If one of them locked out 2nd hand market and the other one didn't, you can guess what most consumers would go for.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ha, that Sony patent filing has caused Gamestop shares to fall.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Gamestop and Gamefly are not in the business of making and selling consoles. Sony and MS are not in the business of selling used games. There is zero 'competition' between the two types of companies.

I don't think Sony and Microsoft see it that way. They take a cut (about 11%) of every new game sold but see nothing from used games.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

As long as full load is under 80c you have nothing to worry about. Lower your fan speeds.

edit

My G500 has thrown up a faulty right button. It depresses and represses the switch when I hold it sometimes (you can imagine how annoying this is when gaming) After looking it up and seeing this is a fairly common fault, I'm gonna retract my previous positive statement about it.

Now this of course doesn't apply to Logitechs other mice, I've had several in the past and never had any problems but it does appear the G500 has issues with the button switches failing after only as few months. I've lost the receipt as well sadly so that lovely 3 year guarantee isn't going to benefit me :(

Think I'll splurg on a G9X, I fancy something smaller to go with the fingertip grip I use.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 7, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

GateheaD posted:

So, I have an i5-2500k @ 4GHz, 6950 Stock, 8GB CL9 Memory, 3 SSD's for Data/OS and a decent PSU.
Should I throw in a MSI R7970 and another 8GB of matches RAM for best use of $450?

Basically I would like to max everything, right now I play medium/ High with shadows off at 40-60fps for most games.

to be honest I think I should just hold onto my cash and get a Oculus Rift, and play in High Detail on that (due to lower res)

Personally I'd recommend getting a 7950 and overclock it. You'll get a card more powerful than a 7970 at stock for much cheaper. The 7970 is a great card but not worth the extra £100 for 10% more performance.

As for Ram, going to 16GB won't have any effect on your games, so unless you do some image, sound or video possessing I wouldn't bother.

Put that money you've saved towards a decent after market cooler for your CPU and take it to 4.5Ghz.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ularg posted:

Am I really dumb or does the HD 4890 compare really well against the HD 6870, only lacking DX11 support.

An HD6870 would demolish a HD4890 in most benchmarks but real world use it's not a huge upgrade. If you are looking for a budget card though I'd go for the 7850 as you can find it only slightly pricier than a 6870 and should be able to handle most things at 1680x1050 on high.

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Goddam cat chewed through my mouse cable. It was a Razr Naga and maybe their stuff is gaudy and overpriced but drat it was comfortable as hell and overall I liked it a lot.

Anyway I was looking at getting the Logitech G500 as a replacement. Anybody use this mouse or have a recommendation? The MX 518 in the OP is a little rich for my blood at £100.

My G500 just broke and it's not an uncommon fault. It's a great mouse when it's working but keep the receipt safe, logitech give a great 3 year warranty but only with the receipt, I'm an idiot and lost mine. (this is one of the reasons I prefer buying online, electronic receipts!)

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 7, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Fallom posted:

If it requires you to give up the middle mouse button like another dual-scroll Logitech mouse I had then yeah, I can see the problem.

No the G500 has a middle mouse button.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

GateheaD posted:

Cool stories from overclocking.
Mobo is a GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (Rev 1.0) which turns to be a bit of a cheaper board than I thought when I purchased it.
No VCore settings, so I have to learn how to use Dynamic VCore (Found these 2 websites - 1,2)

First problem I hit was having Easy Tune 6 installed on my PC, allows you to bump up the turbo Multiplier while in OS, but if you go over 45 it crashes your PC.
Second Problem was leaving Dynamic VCore on Auto, which caused it to try and use 1.45v at 43x, which led to the CPU getting to 85* almost instantly.
Third Problem I encountered was Breaking my RAM Timings or using a profile in BIOS that was too aggressive, which causes games to run at 120-200fps but in slow motion (Multiplier games were like i was 1000+ ping, single player games were in bullet time for visuals but not Audio)

Tonight I'll sit down and manually set to 43x Turbo Multiplyer and adjust the dynamic vcore as per specs in the 2 links above.

At least I'm not nervous about breaking things anymore, being an adult this time with a job + no real CPU death risk like back in the old days.

I have a 7950 coming in soon, which I should bump up to 7970 speeds right away, probably redo my case cooling and fix up the rats nest of Molex/SATA cables.

Same motherboard I have and I ran into similar problems. I eventually settled on 4.5Ghz at 1.35v (using vcore offset of -0.050), it peaks at about 68C after running prime95 for a few hours but I'm using an aftermarket cooler (Evo hyper 212+).
I highly recommend using http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ to monitor your PC, it's open source and I've found gives more accurate information than the commonly recommended HW monitor.

Oh my MOBO was also clocking my RAM at 1333 even though it was 1600 RAM so I had to manually change that too.

Good choice btw on the 7950 but do NOT buy one with a boost bios. Makes overclocking a nightmare as the voltage is set so high (1.25v) the card down throttles constantly. With standard bios most 7950s can get to 1110/1500 on 1.10v pretty easily.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 11, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

chippy posted:

Mouse talk: Anyone got any thoughts on the Logitech G500 vs the G700? I'm looking to upgrade my old faithful G5, nothing wrong with it, I just fancy a new one. I was just going to get the G500 but the G700 does look nicer aesthetically, slightly more comfortable, and the few extra buttons might be useful, but is "gaming-grade wireless" good, or just a gimmick? I stopped using wireless mice years back due to latency.

You can connect the power cord and it will use that for data if you are worried about wireless lag on the G700. It is a heavy mouse though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Francostein posted:

Yeah, I got a 100 gift debit card from work so I was going to use that on an SSD but based on that and what a good friend told me about the rig I'm building, it's just not worth it to me right now. Maybe in the future when they're a little cheaper ill reconsider it. Thanks man.

I installed my first SSD last week. Get one, even if you ignore the benefits with game load times the general behaviour of your Operating system will be so improved you won't be able to go back.

Windows is so fast to boot now I don't even get to see the windows logo, the Windows 7 swirling colours appear for less than a second but are replaces with the password prompt appears before they even get close to forming the Windows logo.

Just make sure you switch on AHCI in the bios.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

On my 240GB SSD I have Windows 7, 5 indie games and 9 large games installed on it and still have 76GB left . I've changed it so my music/videos and downloads go to my 500GB HDD automatically.

There are all sorts of things you can do to shrink a Windows install. Hibernation for example uses up as much space as you have RAM which is as much as 16GB for some people.

Get an SSD. 240-260GB is the right size to get.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 16, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Space Racist posted:

This is true. One of the bigger things for me was realizing to manually set the page file size - by default Windows sets it to the same size as the amount of installed RAM, which for me was 16 GB. :shepface: I'm on a 128 GB SSD so a spare 16 gigs was nothing to sneeze at.

If you have a HDD just set your page file to that and switch off the one on your SSD. You only need one and there is no benefit to keeping it on your SSD.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

Wait, wouldn't you want to have your page file precisely on your SSD as opposed to an HDD because anything that gets dumped in there (so pretty much everything OS and application-related thing ever) will be accessed significantly faster?

If you have a decent amount of RAM the page file isn't accessed all that often, if your system has run out of available RAM when you have 8GBs+ then the read/write speed of you HDD isn't going to affect much at all and the extra space saved is more useful.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Windows uses it when you run low on RAM. How often that is depends on how much RAM you have and how much poo poo you have open. But even when it does use the page file, windows will send the least used pages there, so minimised applications that you haven't accessed in a while. Start using that application again and windows will swap the pages out for whatever other program you have not used recently.

So actual use of the application won't be slowed down at all, only the initial 'reload' as it were and even then only if you are running low on RAM.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I remember people a while ago saying that the page file is used by a lot of applications and also Windows even if you aren't out of RAM. It just chooses to use the page file for some stuff and RAM for others. And completely eliminating the page file can make some programs work wonky or run slower, even if you have an enormous amount of RAM that doesn't get fully used.

This was also said a long time ago during late XP/Early Vista days. I wouldn't be surprised if they were outright wrong or if that information is just outdated.

Yeah windows 7 uses the page file differently to XP etc. One of the main uses of the page file in windows 7 is to make room in the RAM for superfetch which is a system of storing commonly used files and applications ready and waiting for when the user needs then, it's one of the reasons W7 feels more snappy than XP.

However if you have an SSD superfetch is useless and should always be turned off. With it off W7 needs the page file less often and you can probably live without it, however I personally keep one for those occasional programs that leak RAM sometimes (Firefox is a common culprit), without a page file it can cause your background programs to become unstable.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yes I'm really looking forward to what the next generation of consoles will bring to PC.

Speakers of, it's strongly rumoured at the moment that the PS4 is using a 7970m. Of course take into account that a console will always best an identical PC because it lacks the generic OS and the software is specifically built for it but this is good news for people with recently built rigs who were afraid they would be left in the cold the moment the new console came out.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yes there are no proper guidelines for system specs on PC. Windows tried to make one with the launch of Vista but it never took off.

Yar The Pirate posted:

That's actually something I was going to ask this thread about. I visited with my father and he's wanting to get a new desktop so he can play Planetside 2 without the screen doing it's best impression of a PowerPoint slideshow anytime there's more than 100 dudes on the battlefield. Based on the specs for the latest consoles I don't see PC's having to play catch-up until the middle of the next cycle but I'm not exactly an expert on these things. Would he be good to get a new one like was previously mentioned or will it be outdated in two years with the new console cycle?

Anything medium spec or above should be able to knock boots with the next generation of consoles. This thread is invaluable for those who are looking at putting together a system. READ THE OP and then go from there, the guys that help manage that thread are fantastic.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Haha, Windows Experience Index. It never took off because it's terrible. Have a slow-ish hard drive? Enjoy having a rating 2 lower than people of comparable specs. Is that stupid thing even in Windows 8?

That's the one, like many of Microsoft's attempts at the PC game industry it was incredibly half arsed.

It'll be able to knock boots with them for a few years. Just like this generation, next generation will still see a steady increase in graphical quality and the minimum necessary level of hardware to run it.

And that's the wonder of medium spec. Save now, upgrade in 2 years. I don't think high end will be bested even after several years though.

What with these consoles being even more PC like I should think we will see PC games better optimised than the ones we get currently too.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 23, 2013

• Locked thread