Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Great OP. I've been wanting a PC thread for a while. Recently I've been playing more and more PC since Starcraft 2 came out. As long as it doesn't get too [[[[[[H]]]]]]ard, we'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Does anyone have experience hooking their PS3 controller to a Win7 machine play games on the PC? I traded in Batman a while ago, but with the Steam sale, I'd like to repurchase it. I can't imagine playing it on a keyboard. I googled ps3 controller on pc, but it gave me a bunch of random software. I'd hate to install shady software ti play it.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought Batman Arkham Asylum because of the Steam sale and I now know the pain of Games for Windows Live. Why is this thing even necessary? Why do I have to input a CD key when I've bought the game online from Steam? Why do I have to put it in twice, and also have to create a GFW account to play a single player game? I tried to play the game and it said if I don't create and account I won't be able to save my game? So I made a GFW account and it kept telling me I had to update GFW. It had to do this like 3 times and I had to restart the game after every patch. It took over 20 minutes after downloading the game to be able to actually start playing the game, and I don't even want to play this lovely thing anymore. gently caress you GFW.

I did the same thing as you. I found that loading Batman, downloading the initial software, and getting out of the program as quickly as possible helped. Then, I could upgrade to the newer GFWL software out of the game. You might be able to just download the GFWL software first, then load Batman next. Either way, yeah, I had the same problems as you until I just exited out. Pain in the rear end.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

I received my HD555 headphones yesterday and they fit and sound like a dream compared to my old $40 Altec Lansing headset. I know most people recommend a desktop mic, but does anyone have recommendations for a webcam? Is there a big quality difference between webcam mics and normal desktop mics?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

On the advice of the thread I've gone for the headphones and desktop mic combo as opposed to a headset. These Sennheisers are amazing, but now I'm wondering about the mic part. Does it matter at all what mic I get?

I posted a similar question a few pages ago, but never got answered. I got the HD555s too, and was wondering if there was any quality difference between a webcam and one of those Logitech desktop mics for $20? I'd rather get a webcam, but if the voice quality is poo poo, I'll just get the $20 stand mic too.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Doctor Meat posted:

I need help finding a keyboard with a particular combination of features.
-Backlit through the keys(transparent characters), not just around the keys.
-Non-mechanical
-Full size keys. I don't care for those keys that are in between full size and laptop size.
-It's not a deal breaker but I would prefer if blue lighting was available.

Logitech G110 or G510

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Anyone got any experience with Logitech mice?

Just bought a G400 to replace my MX518, since the mousewheel stopped working, and I don't know enough about mice to fix it. And now, a month or so after I got this thing, its having some major issues, mainly that every few minutes or so, it'll just drop connection to my PC, then reconnect a second later with a loud beeping noise. And I can't for the life of me figure out whats causing it.

Did some digging online, and found it was a common issue with the G500 brand of mice, hoping its not a common issue with the G400 brand as well, because if it is, wonderful, I wonder if I can get Logitech to fix up my MX518 as well. Just wondering if any goons had this issue, and knew how to fix it.

Logitech has amazing customer support. Call them, tell them your problem and they'll send you a new mouse if its under warranty (even if its not, sometimes they do in my experience).

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

LA Noire "Complete Edition" coming to PC!! Very excited!

quote:

PC gamers may be getting LA Noire a few months later than console gamers, but unlike PS3 and Xbox 360 players, they are getting the "Complete Edition" of the game. On November 8th, Team Bondi's detective thriller will be available on PC, Steam and OnLive.

The PC version is being developed by Rockstar Leeds and will offer "increased resolution and graphical detail." In addition, the publisher is planning a complete keyboard remap for the controls, as well as support for NVIDIA 3D Vision.

The "Complete Edition" will include a "multi-use code" to access all downloadable content from the console versions. The "Nicholson Electroplating" arson case, the "Reefer Madness" vice case, "The Naked City" Vice case, and "A Slip of the Tongue" traffic case--previously bundled via the Rockstar Pass--will be included for free with the PC version. In addition, the previously PS3-exclusive "The Consul's Car" traffic case will also be included.

These additional missions fit in between the main missions, and offer additional insight into the characters. Essentially, PC owners will be able to play a "Director's Cut" of sorts right from the get-go.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70369/la-noire-complete-edition-coming-to-pc-in-november?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Did anyone pickup L.A. Noire? Hopefully it is a decent port.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

zachol posted:

The XBox controller is too big and round for me. I have little girly hands, though.
The PS3 controller would be absolutely perfect for me if they moved R2 and L2 (the triggers) back further, to where your index fingers naturally rest (and where the triggers are on an XBox controller). Games that require you to quickly move between R1/L1 and R2/L2 or hit both at the same time are a bummer.

As far as the PS3 controller goes, you can get these bumpers that help support the R2 and L2 buttons. Something like [url=http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-real-triggers/90442]this[url]. It helps tremendously. It does suck to have to buy soemthing else to make it work properly, but if you like that controller more, its worth looking into for only $5.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

People routinely recommend this logitech mic. They also recommended the HD555s a lot. I don't have experience with the mic, but the headphones are incredible. A much richer sound than cheap headphones and most speakers I've used.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Price on the HD555 skyrocketed. I bought them for about $100 earlier this year. Now Amazon has them for $170ish from vendors. Maybe the 598s replaced the 555s.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

I'm completely out of touch when it comes to PC components now. I currently have a Radeon 4850. What's a good upgrade for that in the $150-200 price range? Preferably ATI again since I have an AMD proc, they seem to marry well.

ATI sub $200: The 6870.

Get more info here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371605

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

From last page:

nickhimself posted:

Okay, I'm hoping someone who frequents this thread can help me out with this.

I want to create a sym link from Skyrim to my Dropbox, however when I attempted to create it, I received an Access Denied message.

Skyrim is on my C:\ Drive and Dropbox stores files on my D:\ Drive. Can anyone write out what the command prompt should look like? I know I'm forgetting something but the basic directions I saw online obviously weren't exactly what I needed.

NihilCredo posted:

Just use Link Shell Extension instead so you can do it with two right-clicks.

Does this simply create a clone of specific folders onto another drive?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

notZaar posted:

Funny how this discussion came about from Dark Souls, because that game literally saves your provgress every 10 seconds. The only twist is that you cant reload at will.

Yeah, it saves after you do anything. If you accidently hit the roll button and roll off a cliff, it saves and you cannot reload to a point before you rolled off.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Foiltha posted:

Sooo, remember that petition to bring Dark Souls to PC?

gently caress yes.

Great news! I bought it on PS3, but would certainly buy it for PC again when its on a Steam sale. I can't imagine playing it on anything except a PS3 controller, but I'm sure the XBox controller will suffice.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

If you install GFWL before you install the game requiring it, the installation should be painless. I've never had a problem going that route. It sucks if you buy the Steam version it has GFWL and Steam DRM, but all that fades into the background if you're playing a solid game like Arkham Asylum/City or Dark Souls.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Not many people are rushing to upgrade to Windows 8, but have there been any tests with game performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

I never knew Logitech had a mechanical keyboard before I noticed some sales recently for the G710+ with cherry browns. Does anyone have this keyboard and can compare it to other popular mech boards (Das, etc)?

• Locked thread