Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Yeah I picked up a 5670 last week and was surprised how much bigger it was than my old 4670.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
GTA 5 just got delayed to March 24th. :(

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
And I literally just got my 970 a few hours ago...

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Makky posted:

Cross-posting this from the PC building megathread. Besides the previous discussion on stock coolers being a mortal sin...

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts/warnings about the PNY GTX 980? I have the opportunity to get one second-hand for $480 (probably negotiable) that has never been used, but I've never actually purchased/used a PNY video card before.

nVidia has what they call their Greenlight program now, where every card manufacturer has to meet their standards of build quality. So while the PNY won't be as good as an MSI or Asus, it'll at least be decent.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Free Steam key for Star Wars: KotOR, first come first serve.

62CPH-ZF4NT-53AZ4

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Anonymous Robot posted:

You guys have any experience with Logitech support? I put in a ticket over a week ago and I've heard nothing.

Took them maybe 4-5 days to get back to me.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Buying used GPUs form bitcoin miners sounds like a really really bad idea.

Mine started to die after about 7-8 months. I got a Gigabyte with a transferable warranty so I could RMA it if I wanted, but I just bought a 970 instead. Wanted an upgrade anyway.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
It's good but a little buggy right now, nothing they can't fix. Plus as far as relevance to this thread goes, it's the only way to get DirectX 12.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This just comes down to the switches. I had a Corsair K70 with MX Blues but I wasn't really using it for typing so I switched to an MX Red version and it's extremely quiet now. I definitely like it a lot more than the Saitek Eclipse II it replaced that was who knows how many years old.

It can vary, I think. My Ducky Zero has MX red switches and it's very loud.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

ColHannibal posted:

That is you bottoming out the keys.

Partially, but even if I just press them down partway, they make a loud clicking noise when they pop back up.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Tom's Hardware recommended these over the G35s, and they're only $50.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

Does driving multiple monitors from a video card decrease the game performance of that video card? I.e. would I get better performing single-screen games if I unplugged or otherwise disabled my other two monitors?

Does the answer change if the other monitors are at different resolutions? My middle monitor is 1440p and the two side monitors are 1080p.

There's no decrease in performance.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Cardboard Box A posted:

If the video card and CPU cooler are right up against a big ol' vent, it's almost as good as an open air test bench. You don't have to worry about airflow if the air is right there.

I think the point he's making is that a lot of m-ITX cases won't fit a full sized card. So until nVidia starts making cards like the Nano, which itself is pretty good but not top of the line, you're limited in your choices. Not to mention you're definitely not gonna be using Crossfire or SLI, which are pretty much required for modern 4K gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Veotax posted:

Does VLC blu-ray actually work now? Last time I tried it it couldn't handle the DRM.

I don't think so, I just tried it with a relatively new release and it didn't work, but I didn't spend too long loving with it before giving up.

• Locked thread