Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My god, Beethoven Op. 135. My dear departed grandfather used to rave about his string quartets, particularly the late ones, saying they were the ultimate in music (a view I've seen repeated elsewhere), but I'm only now coming round to really giving them some time. 135 is a bit smaller scale than some of the other late ones, but it's just a delight, in particular the gorgeous slow movement and the finale, whose various themes (including the "Must it be; it must be!" refrain) keep swimming around my head. Life affirming.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
It's part of what makes Beethoven so ridiculously amazing - the comprehensive expression of the human condition in his works, not to mention the sheer articulacy with which he expresses his supremely broad emotional palette, whether composing for a full orchestra, or the relatively pared down musical environment of a quartet or solo piano.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Coohoolin posted:

I'm not super big on piano stuff but just, anything Glenn Gould plays.

Stringent posted:

Yeah, his Goldberg recordings (both of em) should be at the very top of your list.

His Bach is close to essential and among the absolute best, but I'd personally steer well clear for Beethoven and probably romantic repertoire overall.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Stringent posted:

Yeah, he's laughing at him, not with him.

This isn't a point in his favour. I mean not just disliking Beethoven (which is pretty unusual for a classical music lover and for me almost insane, albeit fine everyone has their own likes and dislikes and that's their prerogative), but demonstrating that dislike by playing Beethoven's music in a mocking way? Just play repertoire you like and that you wish to do justice to.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Doc Fission posted:

I don't have a background in music - can't even read sheet music - but piano compositions have really been comforting to me during quarantine. I've been listening to Rachmaninoff's piano sonatas a lot. Does anyone have any recommendation for piano compositions?

Background info would also be helpful. I don't even know where to start :shobon:

Piano has possibly the broadest repertoire of any solo instrument, so there's a huge and diverse range of stuff out there, depending on what you like stylistically. The cornerstones are often considered to be Bach's Well Tempered Clavier and Beethoven's 32 sonatas. The WTC consists of 48 preludes and fuges. They're very much rooted in the baroque style, but each set of 24 has a prelude in fugue in each major and minor key and the works as a whole cover a huge amount of musical ground within those forms.

Beethoven's sonatas showcase his development from the composing purely in the Classical style to the more bombastic, technical middle period stuff which influenced the begininng of Romantic era, to his late era stuff which is no less technical than the middle period but also has more moments of introspection and is probably his most sophisticated era (you can see the same development with some of his other compositions, notably his string quartets ((which are HIGHLY recommended))). Some of my favourites of his 32 are No 21 (Waldstein), No 23 (Appassionata) and the late ones (No 28 onwards), but they are all superb, in truth, and cover so much ground; one of things which makes Beethoven so magnificent is the range of emotions - he can cover the entire human condition in a single work, with stunning articulacy.

Beyond that, most pianists/fans of piano music (myself included) love Chopin. He composed some of the most exquisitely beautiful piano music in history, but his work also veers into heavier and more tempestuous areas at times. I'd particularly recommend looking at his nocturnes and ballades, but again there's gold everywhere you look.

For other romantic repertoire I would also recommend taking a look at Brahms - really any of it, but off the top of my head I'd suggest the intermezzos and rhapsodies.

As you like Rachmaninoff, I'd also recommend looking at his preludes. I learned his Prelude in D major, Op. 23 No. 4 a while back and it's ridiculously beautiful.

There's plenty more one could recommend (Schubert, Schumann, Liszt and many more), but what I've suggested already covers a huge amount of ground, so maybe dip in and see what you like.

Personally, if I could choose just one composer's piano repertoire to take to a desert island it would be Beethoven's.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

80k posted:

For Classical period, I absolutely love Mozart's Piano Sonatas. So many of them will be familiar to you already. As a whole, they are probably the piano music I listen to the most. Lots of great entire cycles to choose from, though my current favorite set is Alicia De Larrocha's. Mozart has a lot of wonderful Piano Concertos too.

K310 in A minor is my favourite. And one of only two minor key sonatas he wrote!

quote:

[*]Pollini's Late Piano Sonatas (a 2CD set) is amazing, and includes Beethoven's last 5 sonatas.

This is indeed great. I have it complement/complete the wonderful Gilels *almost* complete set, which has a lot of my favourite renditions. I love Richter for Beethoven too, though there are unsurprisingly a lot of wonderful interpreters of Beethoven's 32 sonatas.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

That Spooky Witch posted:

no loving double meanings. i fuckin mean it.

Give me all the most kickin' tracks, works, pieces, i desperately want any and all rockin' pieces in A minor.

its been my favorite key my whole life and i wud love you forever for anything you think is good in A minor.

Mozart K310

One of only two piano sonatas he wrote in a minor key, and one of his best. It was written around the time his mother died, so is somewhat more tempestuous and full of angst and lament than many of his others.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Check out the Beethoven cello sonatas. Unsurprisingly they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Not sure how I feel about hearing ragtime on what I assume is a 9 foot Steinway

Happens whenever someone performs the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 32nd piano sonata. :dance: