Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to Mahler's 5th and 6th Symphonies, and I've especially loved the poo poo out of the first two movements of the 6th (in the correct andante/scherzo order :colbert:). What's out there that's similarly powerful and big and brassy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How about some of Mahler's other work? I've only listened to the 2nd, 5th, and 6th Symphonies

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 29, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

opus111 posted:

you should really check out Kindertotenlieder.

Will do!

Went to the Edmonton symphony Orchestra last night, they started with a Bach chorale prelude on the sweet rear end organ which was awesome, and then we were treated to Stephen Hough on piano for Beethoven's 4th piano concerto, followed by a short Sibelius piece and Nielsen's 5th symphony. Nielsen's 5th was sorta weird but really loving cool. This is like the 4th time I've ever gone to see classical music live and I think I'm hooked. My wallet is going to hurt next season...

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God drat I would love that. Maybe I should look seriously at one of the Scandinavian country's wicked foreign student university programs...

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

opus111 posted:

honestly I find going to concerts frustrating as hell cos of all the coughing and sneezing and snuffling that goes on. Also unwrapping sweets. WTF? People can't just sit still.

Holy poo poo this. I still love going to concerts(well only been to 4 so far), but it's pretty obnoxious how inconsiderate people are. Like, if you're coughing your lungs out every 40 seconds, I'm sorry, but you need to realize you're ruining everyone else's experience and leave.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lumius posted:

I swear there is some economics paper (maybe it was even linked in this thread, I'm not sure) about how people in a concert setting cough more often than a normal setting. I don't think the paper concludes why exactly but yes, it is a thing.I understand the frustration for sure but at the same time that is part of the experience -- being deahtly ill from hw you described isn't though!

No yeah, for sure. But this guy would go on a 10-15 second coughing fit every minute or two, and he had a pretty distinctly annoying whine to it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm going to go with some very safe suggestions that stick pretty close to the list you gave to start off with, hell you've probably been listening to them. If so I can drag up some more stuff.

Dvorák - New World Symphony (kind of a more popular piece that I don't think gets as much credit as it's due)

Mahler - Symphony no. 5 (I like this one equally as much as the 6th, those loving brass parts in the first movements just do it for me)

Chopin - Piano Concerto no. 1 (this and his nocturnes are absolutely amazing)

Beethoven - Symphony no. 3 (what's up with Beethoven and his odd numbered Symphonies being the better more popular ones?)

And now this one is a little out of right field, as it's a CD by a fantastic Euphonium soloist with a British style brass band, but it is absolutely sublime. I can pretty much guarantee you'll enjoy it, and if you're not aware of what an euphonium is, it's basically like a tenor tuba that's pitched the same as a trombone, and it's awesome. Shameless plugs for the instrument I play abound itt

Thomas Ruedi - Elegie (on iTunes for sure and I think amazon music)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

krampster2 posted:

Thanks! Actually Beethoven's 3rd is the only one of those I've listened to (I liked it) so I'll give everything else a go. Found Thomas Ruedi on Spotify and am listening to Elegie right now.

Nice, let me know what you think of it by the end! The last piece is super cool.

As for a few more suggestions to throw in the mix, here's a few more I like too

Beethoven - Symphony no. 4

Mozart - Symphony no. 41

Holst - The Planets Suite

Igor Stravinsky - Firebird Suite

Edward Elgar - Enigma Variations

Edvard Grieg - Piano Concerto + Peer Gynt Suites 1&2 (I guarantee you'll know a few movements of the first suite)

Bach - Toccata and Fugue (gently caress yeah 15 minutes of organ)

Dvorák - Cello Concerto

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

krampster2 posted:

I finished listening to Elegie yesterday and enjoyed it quite a lot actually (might even add it to the list after a few more listens). Ziguenerweisen by Pablo de Sarasate was my favorite piece from the collection, particularly when it got really fast paced. It was nice to hear what brass instruments are capable of as up until now I'd mostly just viewed them as instruments to create dramatic effect in Mahler's symphonies haha.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and that I spread the good news of the euphonium and it's brass brethren. The fun thing about that piece is it was actually written by Sarasate who was a violin virtuoso and composer in the late 1800's. It was originally written for Violin and Orchestra, here's a good recording of the original https://youtu.be/xir-5oAWxXE

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're never too old (or young!) to pick up an instrument and start learning. Playing music at a community band level as an amateur musician has been one of the most fulfilling hobbies I've ever picked up. It's lots of fun, the groups are usually filled with great people, and there's nothing like playing music together with others. It's also basically the best brain workout you can do.

If you lean more towards orchestra stuff, picking up something like a cello(which, although I don't own one, I fully intend to learn at some point) or any of the other string instruments, you're probably going to be spending several months in private lessons before you start getting to a level where you'd want to play with others. If you're okay with joining a community wind band (think high school/military band instrumentation), you could be playing in a group sooner, and there tends to be more community wind bands then orchestras around. Their repertoire leans a lot less away from the type of music that you see posted in this thread, but there's a huge body of fabulous wind band repertoire out there so it's cool. Speaking of, I should find some of said great repertoire and post it because it's awesome

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Quantumfate posted:

To put it simply- I uh, have some issues with disabilities that makes picking up an instrument a little more difficult. Never too late to learn theory, I suppose. I just wish I knew more what a Scherzo or Adagio was, to be able to identify it the way I see others doing.

Sorry about that! Well, to be honest, I personally find theory without the practical application to be dreadfully boring, but I have a feeling there's probably books out there that are more oriented towards listeners rather then performers that are good.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Piano is one of those instruments your better off learning on the side after you've started playing something else, at least if it's for recreational playing, imo. It's extremely useful to have, especially if you're willing to get up to a level where you can accompany people or play duets with another instrument, because piano+solo instrument duets are great. But yeah you won't really be able to play with others in a group as you said. I'd recommend considering one of the instruments that arent as common, because you'll always be in demand and fill in holes in the ensemble that otherwise would be left empty. Stuff like bassoon/oboe/euphonium/maybe French horn(there's tons of terrible French horn players because of how hard it is to play it well)/tuba/bass trombone are all kind of like that. I don't have any experience with community orchestras and which instruments tend to have less people.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you liked a requiem, you should definitely check out Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. It's up there with the Ninth as one of his crowning achievements imo

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That sounds amazing. The Pastoral is one of my favourite Beethoven symphonies tbh, it's my favourite music to listen to in the morning

E: and the 4th movement is what I use for my alarm in the morning. Starts off quiet and then BAM the 'storm' strikes with a mighty timpani roll and I practically jump out of bed from the shock everytime

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 12, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I've been on a big Romantic/Beethoven spurt for a while now, and I've decided I'd like to take a few steps back. I would really like to get into some Mozart; what's a good list of his best works?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

krampster2 posted:

Holy crap I just listened to Shostakovich's 5th symphony and it is so amazing. I don't think I've heard music I've loved this much on first listen before. Everyone stop what you are doing and watch this concert right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FF4HyB77hQ

Thank you 80k for recommending it to me so long ago. Still working my way through all the music you guys gave me, it takes so long when some of it is so good I have to listen to it a hundred times to get over it!

I listened to the 1973(according to Spotify) recording which from the first few bars sounds identical to the YouTube one on the spotify pc app, and this piece is loving amazing.

I love Bernstein on the Modern Composers, but me and my coworker listened to his interpretation of Dvorák's New World symphony, and I did not really enjoy it at all. The 2nd and 4th movement were pretty solid, but the 1st and 3rd were just retarded. Ridiculously over tempo, in a way that just felt like Bernstein had done too much cocaine with his cadre of young male playmates before the concert

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wyw posted:

Please don't listen to operas in languages the opera was not written for, we got rid of that poo poo in the early 1900s and there should never be a reason to go back.

As far as accessibility I really hope people never listen to Mozart operas as a first opera, they drag on and on.

The only problem is finding full subtitles for them, but I totally agree.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jealous, that's one of my favourite pieces! The Edmonton SO doesn't play much Mahler or other really big ensemble pieces that much :smith:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 4, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not many of the great conductors from what some might consider the Golden age of recording modern classical music between the 40`s to around the 80's are left.

I'm a big fan of Boulez's work with Mahler, here's a fantastic performance of the 7th symphony I'll be listening to today. That euphonium solo gets me everytime (well it's technically a tenor horn solo but after hearing it on euphonium Mahler reportedly preferred it over the somewhat different German tenor horn)

https://youtu.be/u34TL77GHss

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I went through that course just recently and adored it. I'm now on one of his other courses, The String Quartets of Beethoven, works that I regrettably have never listened to before. It is similarly fascinating and engaging, and I am really blown by the quartets. I adore Beethoven's symphonies, but I really didn't know what I was missing by not checking out his work in other compositional genres.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

objects in mirror posted:

For the past 2 years, I've been "stuck" on Late Beethoven, by which I mean that I keep returning to this music again and again.

There is a wonderful transcription for string orchestra of the late quartets on Spotify by a guy named Terje Tonnesen. Highly recommended. The standout for me is the Holy Song of Thanksgiving by a Convalescent to the Divinity, in the Lydian Mode, belonging to String Quartet No. 15 in A minor.

https://open.spotify.com/album/33Y5IX9Gj7iohnLIejbwXU

This movement (well the string quartet version, I haven't yet pulled up this version, planning to) is seriously one of the most profound pieces of music I've ever listened to. It's the kind of music that transfixes you and alternates from heart-aching anguish to soul-mending serenity, and back all over the emotional spectrum again. This is my favourite recording of it, by the Guarneri Quartet. This set contains all of Beethoven's quartets and it is fantastic all the way through, but :drat:, they do a fine rendition of the op. 132. https://open.spotify.com/track/6jkS4JMeWIaiFpm7jyUFBB

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm a diehard fan of the cycle conducted by Kurt Sanderling with the Staatskapelle Dresden. https://open.spotify.com/album/3CZ8EhRE4YI2N9EfOtWLZ0

It's pretty nuts. I'll check out that one though

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's a fantastic cycle of the four symphonies with the Tragic Overture and Variations on a Theme of Haydn, all of which are good starting places for his symphonic work.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3CZ8EhRE4YI2N9EfOtWLZ0

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Itching for an absolutely awesome rendition of Mahler's 6th symphony? Check this great performance by Mariss Jansons and the London symphony orchestra. Blows me away errytime. They even repeat the exposition in the first movement! Most recordings of it I've heard they don't bother with the repeat, but it really makes a difference with the amount of themes and interesting motives Mahler loves to play with.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4YbXWJkll5hAhN9Rzk3eKl

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kindertotenlieder is a haunting piece of music by Mahler... Would recommend

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
By the way here's an excellent recording of the Totenlieder song cycle with orchestra https://open.spotify.com/user/mederlock/playlist/63hTI4mAAU6eB1FxZm385z . I would highly recommend checking out the lyrics as you listen :cry:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Simple Green or just regular dish soap is perfect for cleaning out a horn, with a snake with a rubber tip. I do this all the time. Just make sure to let the slides dry out, then put a few drops of oil down the lead pipe, hold down the valves and blow the oil through, then work valves while blowing. That'll help coat them a bit, and may help with valve smoothness too.

By the way, when you wash the slides, you should wash the valves too. They pick up deposits too, and scrub in soapy water with a bristle brush can do wonders for keeping them smooth and clean. Just make sure to not get the felts wet, or take them off before you do the wash.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hawkgirl posted:

You want the Romantic period. Like, probably basically anyone in the Romantic period. See if you like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTbY1n3Iz8

edit: Also, before you totally count out Mozart, try listening to Lacrimosa, it might be your thing.

Mozart's Symphony No. 40 and Symphony No. 25 (both in G minor) are good for some good sturm und drang as well. https://open.spotify.com/user/mederlock/playlist/1rSjNOrCjK8PDj9cNIhP6o

As for other recommendations, I think I got something up your alley with Brahm's 1st Symphony, it's fuckin nice as heck. This is the Staatskapelle Dresden orchestra, conducted by Kurt Sanderling for RCA's classical navigator series. https://open.spotify.com/album/3CZ8EhRE4YI2N9EfOtWLZ0

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 21, 2017

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spotify is surprisingly robust for classical music

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

firebad57 posted:

Not sure who this will interest, but I'm doing a new project where I leavestream my classical guitar practice on Twitch (and YouTube).

https://www.twitch.tv/mobiusmatt/

The goal is to stream real practice, not perform for Twitch chat or anything like that. I'll be doing my normal practice as a professional classical musician, but I'll be talking through it a bit (if there are enough viewers to warrant it).

I'll be going live in a few if ppl want to check it out.

Cool idea! As an euphonium player, I don't think I'd be willing to subject the world to my practice :v . Missed the stream but checked out the video.

And jesus, a goon who looks like a well-adjusted and fashionable individual! We have ourselves a rare find here, dear viewers.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Calling back to an earlier thread:

A while back, there were a series of posts about Classical streaming services. One of the ones that I recommended, Grammofy.com, used to be a premium service not worth it's money because what you get each week is a curated set of compositions, with audio history and curation about the pieces. It's a very nice service, but because you got so little content, it wasn't worth the money. As a result, they ceased operation at the end of 2017.

Well, they're back, and in a more useful way. Their service is now (technically) free. You can access the curations at Grammofy.com. This time, instead of a premium service, it acts as an overlay for PREMIUM Spotify accounts.

If you're a premium Spotify user, I highly recommend giving it a whirl.

Fake Edit: For now, this is web only. They plan on rereleasing their app soon, as soon as they've made the necessary changes.

I just have to say that this service is *loving* awweessoommmeee. Their curation is absolutely excellent. I've followed it for several months and have been very happy with it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely adore this recording of the so-called 'London symphonies'. George Szell is one of the greats of conducting, and the Cleveland Orchestra just knocks it out of the park. I can't recommend it enough! https://open.spotify.com/album/3FoSzbNV0RAKdO2OgiLALo?si=ElNdbESsR5KlReAgipfGTw

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone! The reddit and youtube links especially, I'm a bit poor at the moment so textbooks and college courses are out of my price range. The way I phrased my question initially came down to "I want to know what the words mean when they're introducing the music on the radio," and I think what you all have provided will get me way beyond that point.

There's a course/program you can get called "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music" from The Great Courses, and It's even on a 70% off sale at the moment and is an amazing value for the price. And of course.. there are alternative "methods" of acquiring the video version if you can't afford it due to your circumstances, if you do a little legwork. I ended up buying it after learning SO much from it, It's basically a whole walkthrough of the history and development of Western music, designed for someone like yourself with little to no knowledge yet. The video version is definitely the one I'd recommend.

The presenter is.. a bit quirky/hilarious/cringy depending on your perspective, but it's a gold mine of information. He plays excerpts of pieces, breaks them down, explains musical concepts with the help of a piano, gives historical and cultural insight as well as a musical analysis into some of the 'big' pieces, and yeah. I'm pretty much gushing at this point, but I'm trying to get across how excellent and foundational I found this course. 10/10 A++ Would Recommend

e: He will also teach you what the words mean :eng101:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 8, 2019

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have for your listening pleasure what many consider one of the definitive recordings of Scheherazade, conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham with the Royal Phil and remastered in 1999. Definitely made my Sunday morning :toot:

https://open.spotify.com/album/12gqWnkhIOszwytW6jKcMY?si=J2tzW9krQr6qkznY_ySa4g

And for the dirty audiophiles amongst us who demand HiFi: https://tidal.com/browse/album/1390777

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

80k posted:

Richter is my favorite for Beethoven, as well. His recordings are so scattered throughout different collections, and often out of print, that it's hard to recommend them. My favorite of his is the late Beethoven sonatas he did in the Historic Russian Archives - Sviatoslav Richter in Concert 5CD set. Out of print now, and I know those recordings are available elsewhere. I just can't get enough of those last few sonatas he did... I always go back to Richter, Pollini, and the Guller.

The Youra Guller recording is available on Youtube. The CD, coupled with No. 32 is worth hunting down.

Oh my lanta. That Guller recording is sublime!

Oh, as for bombastic piano works, I have to recommend Cecile Ousset's rendition of the Edvard Grieg's Piano Concerto No.1 with the LSO and Sir Neville Marriner. It's incredible https://open.spotify.com/album/7wRr9uodSm3jf3cDbgEBj7?si=7HlHTQvaR9actUoquKClEw . A search for it on youtube will bring up the individual movements too if Spotify isn't your thing.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 23, 2020

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My dude... do I ever have something good for you... Grieg Piano Concerto played by Cecile Ousset

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0DVjnzkbt9i76MkqX1ghgW?si=Q5bsZJjBSkKn_nRmdSz02g

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've been listening to some Mozart horn concertos and they are great. I could really just listen to Mozart for forever.

I love the Mozart horn concerto no.2 the best. It's just so rowdy and upbeat and I love it :v: . I even went and learned it on my British style Tenor(alto) Horn.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

Piano Sonatas. I'm digging Schubert and Beethoven.

What else do people like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thpa0M2SCaU Here ya go. Sublime

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Robert Greenberg has a bunch of Great Courses on classical music. I really enjoyed his How to Listen to and Understand Great Music, 3rd Edition, it’s available on audible.

Can confirm that this is an amazing program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

book posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbA5KDChZw

Always been a fan of Vengerov's master classes. A lot of insightful commentary, and you can really hear the difference between a world-class violinist like Maxim, and a "regular" professional like Brett.

I'm a huuuuge fan of his concerto performance off this album, they are jaw-droppingly good. https://open.spotify.com/album/1V7zFNRL3sJLmTpzEHA3NV?si=rCmi2ETSTJmw35diGhyDdg&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1