Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Hi all, young aspiring opera singer here

My question is, does anyone appreciate Wagner, and if so, why and how. I likely will never sing Wagner unless I'm in the chorus (which restricts me to like half his output anyway) but he's obviously a major part of the rep and it would be nice to learn how to vibe with him at least a little bit. Most of the time when I listen to him, even in the shorter works, I'm just think "shut up" the whole time lmao

For reference, some of my favorite composers are Brahms/Ravel/Copland in the non-operatic division and Britten/Massenet/Sullivan in the operatic division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
You’re all totally right now that I think about it. Thanks for the advice!

And I have seen What’s Opera Doc, just not in a very long time

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

zenguitarman posted:

I've posted about seeing Wagner enough in this thread, but yes, hearing the orchestra begin a Wagner opera is chilling.

I got to sing in the chorus for Verdi's Requiem this weekend. That final fugue slaps so hard, but there are lots of little sublime moments throughout besides the Dies Irae. The brass during the Tuba Mirum and before the mezzo solo in the Dies Irae is unreal.

Nice! I did a Verdi Requiem a few years ago. I liked singing the Sanctus and Lacrymosa best but that last fugue is really fun, too.

As it turns out Met Live is doing Lohengrin this weekend so I guess I'll do the whole five-hour shebang and report back. Not as fun as being in a real theater but the next best thing, probably?

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I think there's one in CD but that's geared more toward musical movies and not toward gigging at all. I love musicals so I'd love for there to be one

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ferroque posted:

Should I make the switch to an iPad or some sort of tablet instead of using paper sheet music? Been thinking about this a lot lately

I started using ForScore on an iPad Pro early in 2022 and (apart from bound opera scores and things) have never looked back

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
i only know bolcom for his "art songs" (really cabaret songs that classical singers perform all the time) so i will be checking this album out post haste

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I caught the Met Live in HD presentation of X: The Life and Times of Malcolm X in a local theater yesterday and really enjoyed myself. Funnily enough there was a little bit of Turandot in it (the opening scene especially) but the primary influence I heard was John Adams, which is weird considering I learned this morning that Malcolm X premiered a whole year before Nixon in China. The score has lots of moments, at least one or two per scene, that are all about Groove - there's a bass line and ostinati and improvisation over top, repeat ad nauseam. My favorites were the aria for Malcolm that closes Act I and the scene in Mecca in Act III.

Really it deserves to be done all over the world, but maybe in a better reading than I heard yesterday. I thought the tenor Victor Ryan Robertson did a phenomenal job in both his roles, and Will Liverman's voice seems to have improved a lot since Fire Shut Up a couple years ago, though I wasn't really taken with his acting. The orchestra sounded fantastic and I loved the inclusion of the saxes whenever they showed up, but I got the sense a lot of the groove moments weren't worked out as well as they could've been; especially in Act II they trended towards the cacophonous. But overall! Good poo poo!

zenguitarman posted:

Just sang Turandot and man it kinda takes a dive where Puccini died, doesn't it. Otherwise, goddamn that's some good music.

it's so funny how stark the contrast is. though i'm not sure even puccini could've made us believe in this particular love story.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

webcams for christ posted:

lol

I was supposed to perform Shostakovich Op. 79 next week, but one of my colleagues is sick so I spontaneously agreed to perform Schumanns «Dichterliebe» as a substitute program. Last time I did it was 2009

lol i just got done writing a paper about dichterliebe

good luck, may your A on "herzen" be blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

zenguitarman posted:

Yo, did your paper include this

because what the gently caress, Robert. Why?? Why did you throw that Eb next to the D? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

ok so i look at this and i think "this has to be a Db right. like this edition hosed up somehow." so i go and check the barenreiter and nope this was intended.

thanks robert ???