Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

shrughes posted:

When interviewing, interviewers don't really want to know "how you think about a problem", they want to know if you can solve problems quickly without screwing poo poo up. If you make a mistake, yeah, that counts against you, because you couldn't get it right the first time. The last thing I want to see is to observe how somebody "thinks" about a problem. Just write down the loving answer and move on, that's the ideal interview. Anything less means you're a flawed, broken problem solver, and then we only want to see more precisely how flawed you are. You're really judged by how quickly you actually solve the problem.

And that's the right way to judge people's performance in interviews. If they do mess up and fix it quickly with a short amount of total time, that's probably closely related to how difficult it is to get the point across in day-to-day conversations. That's related to their ability to write code quickly and fix it when it doesn't work. If they go "herp derp I'm going to step through this" instead of instantly recognizing what must have been their mistake when you point it out to them, you can tell they're probably worse at programming, because they're doing a worse job of it.

Wow you must only deal with really easy problems if no actual process or thought is required to solve them. :allears:

Literally Elvis posted:

What is the general consensus on business cards for networking as a newbie trying to get in the field? I thought of making some to give to people I meet at local meetups, but I'm not sure if it's pretentious or not, nor what I'm even supposed to put on it. I haven't ordered any yet, but so far all I've thought for a title is "A programmer, sort of". Any advice?

I think a simple card with your contact info is totally fine, not to mention handy. Maybe avoid putting a job title on it for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

wolffenstein posted:

Whiteboards are fine for diagraming and illustrating something, but I've met coders that don't know how to use a computer that's not their own.

That's me. I've had interviews where they give me a computer, and I found it really uncomfortable. When I put my hands on the keyboard, a lot of muscle memory takes over. But when it's a machine that I haven't spent an hour configuring, this mostly manifests in typos. I insert random characters when I mean to delete a word, I switch on caps-lock because I'm used to it being remapped to control, I fat-finger tons of keys because I'm not accustomed to the keyboard. And knowing that someone's watching me as I repeatedly misspell "function" or choose the wrong item from auto-completion or litter my code with quote-marks when I mean to type semicolons makes the whole thing awful.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wolffenstein posted:

To me, using a computer over a whiteboard was a two birds, one stone solution.

I do similarly for interviews. I take a certain amount of pleasure in doing a post-review "no way in hell" to software engineers that hunt and peck, and when I was interviewing for those positions I always wished someone would just give me a drat keyboard and IDE.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 26, 2014

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mniot posted:

That's me. I've had interviews where they give me a computer, and I found it really uncomfortable. When I put my hands on the keyboard, a lot of muscle memory takes over. But when it's a machine that I haven't spent an hour configuring, this mostly manifests in typos. I insert random characters when I mean to delete a word, I switch on caps-lock because I'm used to it being remapped to control, I fat-finger tons of keys because I'm not accustomed to the keyboard. And knowing that someone's watching me as I repeatedly misspell "function" or choose the wrong item from auto-completion or litter my code with quote-marks when I mean to type semicolons makes the whole thing awful.

There's customizing your IDE, and making it impossible to pair program with keyboard swapping (a fun, thorough, but realatively slow process). Having a half dozen or less customizations is OK, being crippled by a vanilla install is not.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
Being able to clearly talk about an algorithm using a whiteboard is a pretty important skill.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

baquerd posted:

There's customizing your IDE, and making it impossible to pair program with keyboard swapping (a fun, thorough, but realatively slow process). Having a half dozen or less customizations is OK, being crippled by a vanilla install is not.

Why wouldn't you optimize for the more common case?

If I was spending 5% or more of my coding time on somebody else's equipment it might be worth it to work without customizations. But I might spend 10 minutes in a week touching a coworker's machine, and we'll be doing so much talking that I might type one character every couple seconds at the most.

I use an editor with some custom key bindings and plugin scripts, a shell with aliases and customizations, and a keyboard layout with a few key changes. It makes writing code a little nicer and a little faster, and since writing code is most of how I spend my time those customizations pay off enormously. Switching computers or jobs isn't too big a deal: it only takes an hour an change to make myself at home on a new machine. But I'm not going to install all my personal files on an interview machine.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mniot posted:

Why wouldn't you optimize for the more common case?

If I was spending 5% or more of my coding time on somebody else's equipment it might be worth it to work without customizations. But I might spend 10 minutes in a week touching a coworker's machine, and we'll be doing so much talking that I might type one character every couple seconds at the most.

I suppose it depends on how much your company does pair programming like that. We like to do it as often as possible, because it's perhaps the most fun and least stressful way of coding ever. We don't get to do it as often as we like due to deadlines, but it undeniably produces superior quality code that is already knowledge shared.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

When you're interviewing someone, I think it's important to come at it with some empathy and try to isolate the poo poo that matters from everything else. Some great programmers are nervous typers, or have terrible handwriting, or only ever code in their favorite editor. It's so hard to find competent programmers, let alone great ones, that it's really dumb to throw those people out. Save that for the candidates who can't propose solutions to non-trivial problems, write terrible code, or can't articulate their thought process.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

HondaCivet posted:

Wow you must only deal with really easy problems if no actual process or thought is required to solve them. :allears:

Well no, I'm simply referring to the ideal answer. Almost all people are sub-ideal. But sometimes people can just rattle off a solution they recognized on the spot. And some people can just write out code for the range of difficulty of coding interview questions and get it perfect the first time, on the whiteboard.

(Of course, yes, all the problems are really easy, if you're supposed to be able to do two or three of them in an hour.)

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

baquerd posted:

I take a certain amount of pleasure in doing a post-review "no way in hell" to software engineers that hunt and peck

What if they hunt and peck out a correct solution on the first attempt?

This is a not a hypothetical question.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

shrughes posted:

When interviewing, interviewers don't really want to know "how you think about a problem", they want to know if you can solve problems quickly without screwing poo poo up.

You want to know how a candidate "thinks about a problem" so they don't get hung up if they temporarily black out on trivial stuff due to being nervous.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Mniot posted:

That's me. ... And knowing that someone's watching me as I repeatedly misspell "function" or choose the wrong item from auto-completion or litter my code with quote-marks when I mean to type semicolons makes the whole thing awful.
I can't speak to your other points as this was at a small business with very specific needs. However on this point I was fully aware of people's degraded typing when somebody's watching. I didn't count typos against the candidate, because I've checked in typos myself by accident. When you try to run your code and can't figure what the error is or even which line number is referenced, then that becomes a serious red flag. Again this was for a small business. A candidate needs to be able to a little bit of everything, so a candidate that can't troubleshoot a simple technical support problem can be a big red flag depending on the small business's organization.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Skuto posted:

You want to know how a candidate "thinks about a problem" so they don't get hung up if they temporarily black out on trivial stuff due to being nervous.

This doesn't help you find good candidates at all. If somebody can't solve the problem but you're convinced they're good at thinking about problems, then you've been bamboozled. Instead, you should calibrate your interview questions so that they're actually solvable in the period of time the candidate has to solve the problem, and also so that they have a range of inferior solutions. Otherwise, you're going to say somebody did OK on an interview, when all they really did was follow the forms of pretending to work out the solution in a reasonable way, which plenty of idiots can do.

If you're worried that somebody might be bad at interviewing, then use other forms of evaluation too in the process.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

You should be looking for both qualities. The candidate should be able to solve the problem, but they should also demonstrate their working instead of just sitting there thinking about it for 10 minutes and then popping a solution out of thin air. It's frustrating when a candidate doesn't explain how they arrived to a solution (even if it's correct) in any intelligible manner because you have no idea if they actually thought thoroughly about it at all. Kind of like when you don't write your workings down on a maths test.

edit: so the solution is pretty much exactly what shrughes said.

PIGEOTO fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 26, 2014

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

shrughes posted:

This doesn't help you find good candidates at all. If somebody can't solve the problem but you're convinced they're good at thinking about problems, then you've been bamboozled.

Huh, an interview situation isn't at all like a normal programming situation, and plenty of people have nerve problems. I'm not advocating dragging them through the solution, but if they have some problems getting on their feet in the beginning, a small nudge is often enough to get them going and once they're going, nerves tend to dissipate pretty quickly, unless they're actually are incapable of solving it, at which point I no longer care anyway.

But you can't do this if they just sit and stare at the whiteboard/keyboard.

Some people also get stuck on "I'd like to use this standard C or C++ function but I'm not 100% I remember the exact argument order etc". There's no need to waste time there, I just play manpage.

quote:

If you're worried that somebody might be bad at interviewing, then use other forms of evaluation too in the process.

You mean like looking at a portfolio? Not everyone has recent public code.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Skuto posted:

Like problems that aren't done while talking live to a person, and other things that aren't "code this on a whiteboard or answer this question while being dynamic-looking."

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Can you elaborate and/or be a bit more specific?

I tend to ask some design and technical questions, but those won't redeem someone who failed at the whiteboard, which is why it's important for a candidate not to get stuck/freeze up there.

tetracontakaidigon
Apr 21, 2013
I know the common advice in this thread is "never give a salary number, even at gunpoint, until you have an offer", but I have a question about that anyway.

Can I write down "I'd be happy to discuss this later" on a form that I'm supposed to fill out before a final set of in-person interviews (which I'm hoping will lead directly to an offer)? It's an internal form for this specific company. They haven't extended me an offer yet, obviously. The form won't submit if I just leave it blank.

I'm worried that if I don't name a number they'll think I'm playing games and not serious about the position. I'm also worried that if I name a ridiculously high number, especially as a fresh graduate, they'll think I'm not serious. On the other hand, I do think a significant cost of living increase is justified between the other offer I have on the table (small-town NYS) and one I would get from this company (NYC). And I really want to work in NYC/at this company.

(anyway the in-person interviews are tomorrow, wish me luck!)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
"I'd be happy to discuss this later" should be good enough.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Skuto posted:

God forbid the candidate attempt to bring some samples of the work s/he's purporting to be able to do if s/he can't "code under pressure"

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

down with slavery posted:

God forbid the candidate attempt to bring some samples of the work s/he's purporting to be able to do if s/he can't "code under pressure"

Is this common? Never had a candidate offer a code sample and was never asked for one myself either. I *did* certainly see people freeze up at the whiteboard.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Let's not get into that derail again.

If you participate in open source and have a body of code on GitHub or elsewhere, especially as someone fresh out of school, it wouldn't hurt to bring it up in an interview if the code is relevant, of good quality, and demonstrates your capability to interact within a larger team. Although it's not quite addressing the "can this guy work out problems?" question, it does help with the overall picture of a candidate.

If you're an "industry veteran" with no public code, it's understood that you can't reasonably be expected to build a portfolio outside of your day job. But then you better be able to talk about your past work confidently and not freeze up during an interview.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

tetracontakaidigon posted:

I know the common advice in this thread is "never give a salary number, even at gunpoint, until you have an offer", but I have a question about that anyway.

Can I write down "I'd be happy to discuss this later" on a form that I'm supposed to fill out before a final set of in-person interviews (which I'm hoping will lead directly to an offer)? It's an internal form for this specific company. They haven't extended me an offer yet, obviously. The form won't submit if I just leave it blank.

I'm worried that if I don't name a number they'll think I'm playing games and not serious about the position. I'm also worried that if I name a ridiculously high number, especially as a fresh graduate, they'll think I'm not serious. On the other hand, I do think a significant cost of living increase is justified between the other offer I have on the table (small-town NYS) and one I would get from this company (NYC). And I really want to work in NYC/at this company.

(anyway the in-person interviews are tomorrow, wish me luck!)

"1"

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Skuto posted:

Is this common? Never had a candidate offer a code sample and was never asked for one myself either. I *did* certainly see people freeze up at the whiteboard.

I had plenty of candidates volunteer code samples when I didn't even ask for them.

When it was code from their current employer... it always made me slightly question their attitude toward data security.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skuto posted:

Some people also get stuck on "I'd like to use this standard C or C++ function but I'm not 100% I remember the exact argument order etc".

When I first got into coding back when I was like 12, I was all about remembering APIs and poo poo. I took pride in not having to pull out a manual.

But that was 20+ years ago before the internet was available to me 24/7 and now I can look up anything in 15 seconds. Nowadays, it's not unusual for me to hit the web for documentation multiple times an hour. Then internet is better at remembering things and I'm better at using that gray matter for other stuff.

This worries me a bit for when I go looking for a coding job. When I say "worries", I mean in some theoretical sense, because I don't have any plans to do so in the near future.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

MAX_INT

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009
Are there any good avenues for Spring/Winter internships? I've browsed through Indeed and Simplyhired, but it seems like most internships are offered for the Summer.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

JuanGoat posted:

Are there any good avenues for Spring/Winter internships? I've browsed through Indeed and Simplyhired, but it seems like most internships are offered for the Summer.

Have you looked into co-ops? IBM is big onto semester-long co-ops. Dow Science is another. I imagine there are many more.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

JuanGoat posted:

Find companies you like, cold e-mail them to see if they offer internships during the times you're available. Smaller companies probably have more lax intern procedures.

tetracontakaidigon
Apr 21, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

Have you looked into co-ops? IBM is big onto semester-long co-ops. Dow Science is another. I imagine there are many more.

Seconding this - one of the interns I worked with this past summer at IBM was there full-time from January to August, and I know they offered some summer interns the opportunity to continue part-time in the fall. I'm not exactly sure what the difference between "intern" and "co-op" is except that a co-op occurs at the same time as classes and an internship doesn't, but even this depends on who you ask.

Re: my salary question above, thanks everyone! I ended up succumbing to worries about not putting in a number and entered a range from (more than my other offer) to (more than I expect to get)... I really am not sure they will look at it or care what it says though, since I submitted it less than 24 hours before the interview.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
Just a followup from earlier- the company has given me an offer which I'll most likely accept :woop:

It's not for the larger salary I had requested but right at what I was being offered at other places, which was still higher than I thought I would get based on my lack of degree and relatively short (3 years) experience.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

candy for breakfast posted:

Just a followup from earlier- the company has given me an offer which I'll most likely accept :woop:

It's not for the larger salary I had requested but right at what I was being offered at other places, which was still higher than I thought I would get based on my lack of degree and relatively short (3 years) experience.

Is this from the place that didn't ask you to code during the interview? :siren: beware :siren:

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014
Recruiters asking to interview you in person before they submit you to their clients: is that a common thing? I haven't seen it before.

Because honestly, gently caress burning a day off for a chance at a chance at a job.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It can happen. I remember a recruiter getting mad at me for suggesting a Skype call when I didn't want to drive 2+ hours from Sacramento to the Bay Area for such an interview. But yeah gently caress those recruiters.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

null gallagher posted:

Recruiters asking to interview you in person before they submit you to their clients: is that a common thing? I haven't seen it before.

Yeah, it's fairly common. The recruiters want to screen out neckbeards and people who fall apart in interviews.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I've had it happen here and there. It is predictably a waste of time.

The thing to remember is they will still want to submit you because they're interested making a hire happen. So if you're good enough to talk to them, you're good enough to be presented to the client. Make scheduling / logistics excuses and suggest frequently that you can do a phone interview instead. It's kind of understandable that they want to pre-pre-screen you but the most they can really get out of it is "this person is crazy, nevermind!". Which, as someone who interviews candidates every week mainly coming from recruiters, it's nice when they do this to filter out people who would have been a waste of everyone's time. But they don't need more than a 15 minute phone call to talk to you about your career history and what you're looking for, etc, to sort of get you past the smell test.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had one who insisted that I wear a suit, told him where to go.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So I had a job interview after many years. Motherfuck is coding on paper/blackboard more difficult than it looks. Struggled quite a bit with some fairly simple SQL and data structures. Aced some pretty tricky theoretical questions though. Don't know how this looks, but I think hopeful. :ohdear:

Made the mistake of telling a number though. The HR guy immediately went like :allears: "aha". It's known to be a very well paying company... I mean the number was quite a bit higher than what I was getting previously, but it still irks me a bit. :saddowns:

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

If you screwed up writing code but aced the theory then you are probably going to be dismissed as someone with not enough practical experience. Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

pigdog posted:

Made the mistake of telling a number though. The HR guy immediately went like :allears: "aha". It's known to be a very well paying company... I mean the number was quite a bit higher than what I was getting previously, but it still irks me a bit. :saddowns:

Yet another reason it's worthwhile to try and get multiple offers at once. If you mess up negotiating with one place, you don't get anchored to a bad number so easily.