Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dougie McdDouger posted:

Thanks for the information. I honestly don't mind small apartments if my commute to work was shortened significantly. At least I don't mind them as a Student. A house at this point would feel too large and empty.

Do you mind if I send you a PM if I have any more questions, you have been very helpful so far.

Sure.

DimpledChad posted:

But on the flip side, I don't have to live in New Jersey.

New Jersey is awesome, you take that back! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Dougie McdDouger posted:

Ill be in Illinois for the 2nd year of study.

Are there any particular parts of the US that are quite high on Tech jobs? Other than San Fransisco of course.

You're already going to be near* Chicago so it'd be relatively easy to interview there for an internship or entry level job and it's comparable to NY as far as big city amenities but has had room to sprawl quite a bit so housing costs aren't quite as insane.

*in the US, that two hour (~120 mile) car ride counts as 'near' btw

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

scissorman posted:

I've also spent a long time working as a research assistant for Ubiquitous Computing...
In my studies I mostly concentrated on theory-heavy subjects like program verification and formal modeling, so I believe that getting a job at Google or another big company is probably my best chance at working with similar-minded people.

As preparation I'm looking at interview questions and reviewing my algorithms textbook and Big-O since that's also been a while.
I'm also looking at Code/Game jams to help me get more coding experience.

So I'd like to ask if there is anything else I can do to improve my chances?

From the description I'd worry about your actual "writing code" experience, so indeed make sure you've got that covered.

quote:

Also, are there any opportunities in Germany you can recommend e.g. I saw that IBM has an office in Boeblingen and is looking for software developers.

If you want to especially look for something in the theoretical areas that you studied, I'd say your best bet is indeed the big houses which have money and resources enough to spend on this kind of research, or maybe looking for smaller, startup style companies trying to build things into a real product. How's Microsoft in Germany?

quote:

And finally, how should I deal with my illness? It's obviously going to come up in any interview, so what is the best way to discuss this?

Are they legally allowed to ask about your current health? I wouldn't bring it up unless asked why graduating took so long (doubt anyone cares much about your grades) and even then I'd try to deflect just explaining you got ill.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

scissorman posted:

I'm finally done with my diploma/master and I'd appreciate it if you could help with some advice.
I studied in Karlsruhe, Germany, so I'm mostly looking in the vicinity but I'd like to apply at Google in Munich.
Munich is the main German dev office, but there are also devs in Hamburg and Lübeck (also tons of devs in Zurich; obviously not Germany but relatively close and still sort of German-speaking). If you're interested in American companies, you could also try Amazon in Berlin.

I would be careful about IBM, I've heard less than great things about their current work culture: http://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/2mm8q1/hows_ibm_for_a_entrylevel_swe/

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

DimpledChad posted:

Just live in the city, at least at first. It's a worthwhile experience.
I feel like this is a decent approach as I've known people that started working in the city, commuted for an hour each direction, and didn't like it as they couldn't really enjoy the night life (as NJ Transit stops running by 2am on the major lines and 12:30am on the minor ones). It's decently cheaper to live outside the city, but you miss out on having a social night life (unless you live in Hoboken and have 24 PATH).

Also echoing don't live in Newark.

Ithaqua posted:

New Jersey is awesome, you take that back! :)
Yeah! :hfive:

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Skuto posted:

From the description I'd worry about your actual "writing code" experience, so indeed make sure you've got that covered.
I do have 7+ years working , so I think as long as I take the time to refresh my algorithms and datastructures knowledge I should hopefully be ok.
I'm only worried about working on large projects because most of what I did was rapid prototyping-based small projects.

Skuto posted:

If you want to especially look for something in the theoretical areas that you studied, I'd say your best bet is indeed the big houses which have money and resources enough to spend on this kind of research, or maybe looking for smaller, startup style companies trying to build things into a real product. How's Microsoft in Germany?
From browsing their website, it seems to be mostly sales and consulting, so not what I'm looking for.

Skuto posted:

Are they legally allowed to ask about your current health? I wouldn't bring it up unless asked why graduating took so long (doubt anyone cares much about your grades) and even then I'd try to deflect just explaining you got ill.
I believe they aren't allowed to ask but since it's an ongoing problem, shouldn't I at least say something?
I feel it would be dishonest if I don't discuss it, but I'm not sure.

Cicero posted:

Munich is the main German dev office, but there are also devs in Hamburg and Lübeck (also tons of devs in Zurich; obviously not Germany but relatively close and still sort of German-speaking). If you're interested in American companies, you could also try Amazon in Berlin.
For now I'm mostly looking in my area but I'll keep that in mind; though, looking through at the amazon career site, it seems that there are currently no relevant job offers in Germany.
By the way, could that be because the year is almost done?
I once heard that companies prefer to hire at the start of the year but I don't know how accurate that is.

Cicero posted:

I would be careful about IBM, I've heard less than great things about their current work culture: http://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/2mm8q1/hows_ibm_for_a_entrylevel_swe/
Wow, that's bad, thanks for warning me.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

scissorman posted:

I believe they aren't allowed to ask but since it's an ongoing problem, shouldn't I at least say something?

Are you going to need extra sick/personal days because of it? If not then no.

Maybe it's because I live in the US where you just expect employers to gently caress you over until proven otherwise, but I'm not sure why you'd even think to mention it unless and until you're un-fireable.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

scissorman posted:

I feel it would be dishonest if I don't discuss it, but I'm not sure.

Check local law. Around here, you are indeed obliged to disclose if your medical condition makes you unable to do parts of your job, or will require specific adjustments to your working area.

I don't think it's a good idea to bring this up in the first round of interviews, though.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Munkeymon posted:

Are you going to need extra sick/personal days because of it? If not then no.

Maybe it's because I live in the US where you just expect employers to gently caress you over until proven otherwise, but I'm not sure why you'd even think to mention it unless and until you're un-fireable.

Skuto posted:

Check local law. Around here, you are indeed obliged to disclose if your medical condition makes you unable to do parts of your job, or will require specific adjustments to your working area.

I don't think it's a good idea to bring this up in the first round of interviews, though.

Thanks, I guess I won't mention unless asked about the length of my studies.
I'm mostly complaint-free so I should be able to work normally but I'll make sure to research what exactly the current law says.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

scissorman posted:

In my studies I mostly concentrated on theory-heavy subjects like program verification and formal modeling, so I believe that getting a job at Google or another big company is probably my best chance at working with similar-minded people.

Hey, I did my master's thesis in software model checking. It's still a very researchy type subject. I don't think you'll find many commercial software products that use formal verification, so you'll have to get in on the research side. Which in the U.S. means you gotta have at least a PhD. Out of the 4 friends I had that got their PhDs doing software model checking, one works at NASA Ames, one works at Microsoft Research India (previously in Seattle, but not as a true researcher), one doesn't do research and the other I'm pretty sure also doesn't do research. So just from what I know, in my part of the world it takes a lot more than a master's to get a job doing something heady like formal verification.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So I can either interview to be an SDE intern in one city or keep waiting for a spot to open up and be a PM intern in Redmond.

Have any of you goons been either of these roles at Microsoft? What's the work load like?

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Phone interview for Google internship report: First and third interviews went amazingly, judging by the feedback I got from the interviewers. They both said that they liked me and that I performed really well, which was a nice surprise!

The second interview was bad, though, and I'm sure you need a full 3-for-3 for the callback so I know I'm not getting the position. I got through a easy bit-twiddling question plus runtime optimization in about 10 minutes. He then asked how I would design firmware for a <big but fairly simple mechanical thing>. I tried asking clarification questions throughout the interview as "design firmware" seemed deliberately underspecified, but he answered every question by basically saying "it's just a <thing>".

I ended up fumbling my way into a sketch of an producer-consumer multiprocess model using a semaphore-protected priority queue. After I explained my design he asked me to code it, which I was not able to do in the 15 minutes remaining. At the end, he basically said "You're not approaching this the right way and I don't think you can actually code what you proposed", which would have been nice to hear at practically any other time during our conversation. Rant aside, he was a wonderful, smart fellow and I had a nice chat with him about his current projects. I would like to ask him what he was looking for as an answer to that question, though.

Overall, great practice for interviews for other places I can actually get into. Highly recommend all students at least apply for a Google internship. They take freshmen and sophomores as part of a special program, too!

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

perfectfire posted:

Hey, I did my master's thesis in software model checking. It's still a very researchy type subject. I don't think you'll find many commercial software products that use formal verification, so you'll have to get in on the research side. Which in the U.S. means you gotta have at least a PhD. Out of the 4 friends I had that got their PhDs doing software model checking, one works at NASA Ames, one works at Microsoft Research India (previously in Seattle, but not as a true researcher), one doesn't do research and the other I'm pretty sure also doesn't do research. So just from what I know, in my part of the world it takes a lot more than a master's to get a job doing something heady like formal verification.

Sure, outside of getting a position at a research center, I probably won't be doing stuff like that directly.
However I also did a lot of model-driven development and code generation, which is related.

I considered getting a PhD but here in Germany PhD candidates are basically used as cheap labor.
I worked as student researcher for some years and my supervisor was always overworked, having to juggle administration, teaching, research projects and his own work.
I just don't believe I have the energy to manage that and I'm also not sure there are a lot of PhD industry jobs in the area.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

scissorman posted:

I considered getting a PhD but here in Germany PhD candidates are basically used as cheap labor.

I think this is true of PhD students everywhere, barring perhaps being on a full-ride predoctoral fellowship at MIT or something.

Edit: No, wait, if you're on a fellowship then to them you're even cheaper labor.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 21, 2014

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

On the NYC/SF thing- I live in NYC, working in midtown and live in Astoria, so I get a 20 min commute, and (relatively) cheap rent (~1600/1br, non crappy neighborhood).

I like to humor myself about moving to the bay area sometimes, but when I search around, there is no "Astoria" in SF - quick commute to downtown (note, talking about SF and not SV, bleh), cheap rent, good neighborhood, etc. It seems like you are stuck paying a ton to be in SF or have a 45min-1hr commute from east bay or wherever. Is there such a thing in SF? Also to be fair my commute in NYC is 20 min to midtown, but to get downtown it would be 45min-1hr.

Not to turn this into neighborhood chat or anything.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Live in Millbrae / Burlingame near the BART/Caltrain combo-station. I used to pay only 1250 there before BART arrived.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Infinotize posted:

I like to humor myself about moving to the bay area sometimes, but when I search around, there is no "Astoria" in SF - quick commute to downtown (note, talking about SF and not SV, bleh), cheap rent, good neighborhood, etc. It seems like you are stuck paying a ton to be in SF or have a 45min-1hr commute from east bay or wherever. Is there such a thing in SF? Also to be fair my commute in NYC is 20 min to midtown, but to get downtown it would be 45min-1hr.

What you want to search for is "Oakland" or "Daly City".

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Infinotize posted:

On the NYC/SF thing- I live in NYC, working in midtown and live in Astoria, so I get a 20 min commute, and (relatively) cheap rent (~1600/1br, non crappy neighborhood).

Not to turn this into neighborhood chat or anything.

...Oakland? There is plenty of the east bay that's well under a 45 minute commute to downtown. The BART ride from West Oakland to Embarcadero is like 7 minutes and trains come every 2-4 minutes during commute hours.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
Pretty much any city south of Oakland in the East Bay (San Leandro, Castro Valley, Hayward) are all 'cheap' Bay Area housing with probably a ~30 min commute time into SF. Also there are tons of nicer neighborhoods in Oakland that are close to what you're paying now, and Oakland is awesome.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I lived a few years near Ashby in Berkeley and the transit commute from there to downtown SF is half of what it is from the Sunset in SF proper. Though this is more an indication of how much of a shitshow transit really is in SF.

Seriously if you're thinking of moving here from NYC then prepare for disappointment.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Second interview for a Senior Programmer Analyst job on Monday. I'm just a PA 2 now, does anyone have any insights? Context is: Canada, academia, same unit, been here 6 years, have made/overhauled much of the environment. My unit was taken over last year by Accenture but I personally have no dealings with that organisation. it seems that every new hire since the takeover has been Some Guy From Accenture. I'm hoping domain knowledge and respect from coworkers will win, but just how nepotistic is this Accenture place?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/24/programmers-price

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

quote:

Good code also works fast. Say you have a spreadsheet with hundreds of voter names, and you want to check each name against a cache of data and assign people to parties—Republican or Democrat. “A bad programmer might write a function that makes a hundred different ‘calls’ to the database,” Guvench said. I could almost see the dreaded spinning beach ball on the screen. A good programmer would find a more efficient way, or “hack.” “He could write a function that would just ask the database one question: ‘Give me these hundred people, along with this data about them.’ ”

The article was okay, but that made me laugh.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Drastic Actions posted:

The article was okay, but that made me laugh.

Using SQL to pull back multiple rows at a time - the ultimate hack. I'm pretty sure I would just be fired if I made a page with hundreds of database calls in it, and I am not a rockstar ninja.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

YanniRotten posted:

Using SQL to pull back multiple rows at a time - the ultimate hack. I'm pretty sure I would just be fired if I made a page with hundreds of database calls in it, and I am not a rockstar ninja.

If you know how to join two tables, does that make you a 100x programmer?

The article says the freelancer rates are as high as $250, including the headhunter's fees. It's not bad, but that's not the kind of rates that make me think that having an agent would be important.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mniot posted:

If you know how to join two tables, does that make you a 100x programmer?

The article says the freelancer rates are as high as $250, including the headhunter's fees. It's not bad, but that's not the kind of rates that make me think that having an agent would be important.

It seems the benefit is largely on the side of the guy looking for an engineer.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
So I've started working through the "Cracking the coding interview" and "Cracking the tech career" books and I've got some questions.
First, from what I've seen, both of the books certainly seem worth it because they explain not just the technical part but also others like behavioural questions.

In the book, it is recommended you build up a network, for example by going to job fairs and handing out business cards or social networking online.
Have you done this?
What would you advise?

I'm very socially awkward, so it's hard for me to deal with strangers; I try to stay in contact with the people at the university I've worked with but beyond that I haven't done much.
My thought was basically that it's something that mostly comes with time by getting to know co-workers and other people you've dealt with.

I've also looked at different available job offers and the online process also seems to require you to submit a resume with your transcript/diploma and then it goes from there.
However it looks like it'll take a couple of weeks for the university to finish sending me my diploma, during which I'm spinning my wheels.
I'm of course using the time to prepare and work on some coding but is there anything else I could do?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Wait, who the hell is asking for your transcript/diploma with your resume?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Forgall posted:

Wait, who the hell is asking for your transcript/diploma with your resume?

For example: http://www.google.com/about/careers/students/howtoapply.html

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I've heard that about google, but I thought they were atypical.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

since when was asking a recent grad for a transcript weird?

they've taken the transcript portion off their non-university applications, iirc

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

FamDav posted:

since when was asking a recent grad for a transcript weird?

they've taken the transcript portion off their non-university applications, iirc
I haven't caught that he was a recent grad. Nevermind me then.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Forgall posted:

I haven't caught that he was a recent grad. Nevermind me then.

Yeah, I just graduated and am currently in that awkward period between finishing my exams and getting the official transcript.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
youre free to submit an unofficial transcript including best guesses at your last term with the requirement that you get them an official transcript at some point in the future. depending on how impressed/unimpressed they are with you and how much they actually care, you might have to get it to them before they'll finalize your interview process or they might never bring it up again.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

scissorman posted:

In the book, it is recommended you build up a network, for example by going to job fairs and handing out business cards or social networking online.
Have you done this?
What would you advise?

You're on a message board with a bunch of people who already work in the tech industry. If you know people here who work at a place you want to be at, it can't hurt to ask. Many companies offer generous rewards for recommendations for new prospects, so if you're good some of us would be happy to vouch for you and get the process started. That's partially how I got an interview at Microsoft a few months back.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Drastic Actions posted:

You're on a message board with a bunch of people who already work in the tech industry. If you know people here who work at a place you want to be at, it can't hurt to ask. Many companies offer generous rewards for recommendations for new prospects, so if you're good some of us would be happy to vouch for you and get the process started. That's partially how I got an interview at Microsoft a few months back.

Well, I'm based in Germany, so I don't know how many of you are even on the same continent but you're right, can't hurt to try.
So, is anyone working in the area at a large tech company and maybe willing to give some advice to a clueless new graduate :)?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

scissorman posted:

Yeah, I just graduated and am currently in that awkward period between finishing my exams and getting the official transcript.
Do you really think Google doesn't take any applications from new college grads until after they're completely graduated? Companies like Google are trying to recruit constantly; they even have internships for freshmen. Use your unofficial transcript.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi
Just got a job programming. No degree, no experience, current CS student. It's all about who you know unfortunately.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

scissorman posted:

Have you done this?
What would you advise?

I'm very socially awkward, so it's hard for me to deal with strangers; I try to stay in contact with the people at the university I've worked with but beyond that I haven't done much.
My thought was basically that it's something that mostly comes with time by getting to know co-workers and other people you've dealt with.

Just go to meetups and stuff about nerd poo poo that is related to what you want to work in and sperg out about things with the people there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

return0
Apr 11, 2007

quote:

Max Nanis, a twenty-four-year-old, was the developer Solomon had mentioned to Bradley in New York. Guvench told me, “Max does loving everything.” Nanis looked as if he had walked out of a computer-science-themed Harlequin novel: he wore glasses and a leather jacket, and had long red hair that fell down his back. His shirt was unbuttoned low, showing off a pale, bony chest. Nanis told me that he likes to work on “anything that’s really hard. I prefer it if somebody comes to us and says, ‘Two people have failed at this. Can you get an M.V.P. functional?’ ” (M.V.P. stands for “minimum viable product.”) He’s also a sculptor, and, as Solomon had noted, has a day job in the Scripps Institute’s molecular-and-experimental-medicine department. “We’re using computers to help solve biological problems,” he said. (He sleeps three hours a day.) He added, “I don’t do any Web-site design. I don’t like that stuff.”

holy poo poo I bet Max has a fedora