Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

let i hug posted:

I would say even bigger than not wanting to move out of your parents' home is not wanting to move too far from home (not just for your parents, of course), which can be a really big limiting factor since a lot of the best jobs are centered on the coasts, with a disproportionate number in NYC and the San Francisco area. There's just not going to be as many opportunities for you in Texas as there will be elsewhere. I think as a new grad a big step you might want to take is just getting any job that will put you in a good location. If the first one you were talking about could get you to Boston then that's a really big opportunity.

I disagree with let i hug re: the whole living with parents being dumb thing and think thats a great idea if possible cause saving money and clearing debt is awesome, but hes correct here.

Career trajectory is a real thing and the easiest time to get that pointed correctly is right out of school. In five or ten years your resume is going to tell a story and you want that story to be one of continual growth, success, and tackling of new challenges. You can still make that happen if you take it easy for a few years, but you'll be half way there if you start running right out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

pr0zac posted:

I disagree with let i hug re: the whole living with parents being dumb thing and think thats a great idea if possible cause saving money and clearing debt is awesome, but hes correct here.

Career trajectory is a real thing and the easiest time to get that pointed correctly is right out of school. In five or ten years your resume is going to tell a story and you want that story to be one of continual growth, success, and tackling of new challenges. You can still make that happen if you take it easy for a few years, but you'll be half way there if you start running right out of the gate.

Fair enough.

Well, like I said, the Local Boredom vs Exciting Relocation debate might be rendered moot if I can swing this thing I've got with AT&T starting tomorrow. Associate Applications Developer, google tells me it pays close to what the financial company offered me, and right in the metroplex. Getting a couple of offers in a row has me feeling relatively optimistic, so we'll see how it goes.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pr0zac posted:

Your glance at a first job tells you if they had to relocate to it? How do you correct these micro-narratives for global events like the economy tanking in 2008?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

Your glance at a first job tells you if they had to relocate to it? How do you correct these micro-narratives for global events like the economy tanking in 2008?

Nothing I said had anything to do with relocating, cept for the part where I suggested living at home being a good idea. I live 30 miles from where I went to high school and 60 miles from where I went to college so.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got back from an interview and I think it went pretty well. Only one coding question which was interesting and required like 2 functions and a few loops. Then a regex question, a super complicated one so I accepted some help and got it correct, and lots of questions about stuff on my resume, etc. I think overall I answered all the tech questions properly and I did like 95%. I answered everything to their satisfaction more or less so if I don't get an offer at least I'll know I did well enough to get the job, and I'll be a bit surprised. If I don't get this, at least this good interview experience is a confidence boost.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pr0zac posted:

Nothing I said had anything to do with relocating, cept for the part where I suggested living at home being a good idea. I live 30 miles from where I went to high school and 60 miles from where I went to college so.

Gosh, well, it wasn't super-clear that I was using that conversational shorthand for this amazing ability to tell if a position is upwardly-mobile given the relative lack of context on a first position so yeah I was myopically focusing on relocation being the discernible aspect of that.

Now I want to argue that it's easier to show upward trajectory given a worse starting spot, so I'm going to edit college out of my resume and act like I jumped from my high school IT internship to ľarch development. I really ought to be a SVP somewhere by now.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

Gosh, well, it wasn't super-clear that I was using that conversational shorthand for this amazing ability to tell if a position is upwardly-mobile given the relative lack of context on a first position so yeah I was myopically focusing on relocation being the discernible aspect of that.

Now I want to argue that it's easier to show upward trajectory given a worse starting spot, so I'm going to edit college out of my resume and act like I jumped from my high school IT internship to ľarch development. I really ought to be a SVP somewhere by now.

I'm still confused what in what I posted you're disagreeing with or if you even are?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

let i hug posted:

That title is a big red flag for me as someone who likes and wants to primarily do development as opposed to testing etc. Even if there are opportunities for developing their tools more, it will likely be secondary to your main responsibilities and won't give you a whole lot of experience in that area for the time invested. You might like testing though so do what feels good.

I agree with this. I spent 10 years in various test positions before I got into development, and that job title suggest to me that you would not be doing a lot of dev work, if any.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh, piss off. I'm not gonna be living with my folks once I've got a healthy salary and I'm confident it's not going to evaporate from under me, but for right now: I like my folks, they like me (near as I can tell), and they have a nice house that isn't overcrowded by my presence, so no, I'm not going to sprint out of the house to get a bottom-tier apartment or take out a big loan on something I can't afford before my finances are stable just to show people how big my dick is.

As for the position itself - yeah, the testing is a bit of a red flag to me, too, but if the other local thing I'm looking into doesn't happen there's always the possibility that I could use it as a stepping stone or placeholder. And it's easier for me to roll with the idea of not having any long-term investment or benefit from my job if I haven't moved half a continent away from my entire support network to pick it up.

Be careful with that "QA as stepping stone to development" thing. There is stigma on both sides:
a) QA managers don't like QA people who want to be developers - managers like people who are going to stay for more than a few months.
b) Development groups have a stigma against hiring QA people as developers because the people who want to switch from QA to development weren't good enough to get straight development jobs, and it may be difficult to justify why a testing job would change this.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Be careful with that "QA as stepping stone to development" thing. There is stigma on both sides:
a) QA managers don't like QA people who want to be developers - managers like people who are going to stay for more than a few months.
b) Development groups have a stigma against hiring QA people as developers because the people who want to switch from QA to development weren't good enough to get straight development jobs, and it may be difficult to justify why a testing job would change this.

Also c) No one has enough good testers as it is

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Does that hold true for the other various branches of IT/technology as well?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm a QA Dev, and I have found that I've been 'forever branded as a QA guy' (I took my first QA job because it paid more than double my dev salary) but you can weed out the lovely jobs by asking the recruiter how much manual testing you'll be doing, then also ask the hiring manager because the recruiters will lie. You'll find there are some QA Dev (SDIT) jobs that are almost 100% coding. Depending on the job it can be up to you to find stuff to do, tools to create, processes to automate, etc. My last job was basically free-reign dev guy, in the QA team. I'd say the main problem with QA on the whole is there are definitely fewer QA roles than dev roles, and also if you, the CEO, need to get rid of a lot of your staff due to bad revenue you can 'just' say, "well, dev guys... put out better work please" and get rid of half the QA team.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's pretty widely accepted that Test Engineering is its own thing and generally relies on a skillset that's distinct from being a product developer. For that reason, good Test Engineers are highly sought after and compensated well. It's not a bad career move if it's in line with your skills (you're good at intuiting ways things can break and have the background and skill set to devise test for those things).

But if your goal is to move to product development, yes you can get stuck in a mediocre QA position. I'd argue that it's easier for a product development person to move into QA or Test Engineering than the other way around.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I must be an anomaly, I found it pretty easy to transition from an automated QA position to development. I didn't get into QA with a view to moving to dev though, I just did it for a really long time and then got bored of it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There are a LOT of expenses involved with moving out. New kitchen stuff, new bed, a whole suite of cleaning supplies, bath mats, towels, wall clocks, hangars, a mirror etc etc. Lots of piddly stuff but those first 6 months are expensive, on top of rent, rent deposit, utility deposits, cell phone bills/repairs etc plus the moving truck itself and all the furniture/stuff that gets broken in the process.

If you can start a new job (stressful!) and then move 3-6 months later, that's the way to go. It will nuke your dating life but you're looking at $10-12k a year in savings that first year. Plus logistically it's a huge, huge pain to do both at the same time.

I would definitely move out within 18 months though, especially with a good job. There's no reason to stay at home past 23 if you have a job that pays better than a retail sales associate.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Hadlock posted:

New kitchen stuff, new bed, a whole suite of cleaning supplies, bath mats, towels, wall clocks, hangars, a mirror etc etc.

I'm 9 years in to living on my own and I'm still missing most of these.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bognar posted:

I'm 9 years in to living on my own and I'm still missing most of these.

To be honest all you really need to exist in the modern world is a pretty short list. All you really need is a few sets of clothes, a bowl, a mug, a pot, a spoon, something to sleep on, a cell phone, a place to shower, a place to cook, and a towel.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You don't need a bowl, mug, pot, spoon, or a place to cook. Just eat out all the time. (Not that that's... optimal.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finally got an offer. I had an interview this morning that apparently went really well, and they offered me a position later in the afternoon. I had just finished interviewing with another company and you know what? I took it. I took the offer for a position where I do Clojure and Ruby dev with a boost in pay at a well-established company where they are just as excited as I am for me to be there and I feel perfectly goddamn happy with it.

This would be the part where I'd whinge and fetter over getting the "right" job or the "best" job but honestly right now I'm just glad this poo poo is over. I don't even care if four or five of you suddenly convince me they're actually gonna drug me and steal my kidneys when I show up for my first day, I just want to keep moving forward.

Christ. It's over. Thank loving god.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Congratulations. Hope you really enjoy working in a non-weird, non-toxic environment.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Pollyanna posted:

Finally got an offer. I had an interview this morning that apparently went really well, and they offered me a position later in the afternoon. I had just finished interviewing with another company and you know what? I took it. I took the offer for a position where I do Clojure and Ruby dev with a boost in pay at a well-established company where they are just as excited as I am for me to be there and I feel perfectly goddamn happy with it.

This would be the part where I'd whinge and fetter over getting the "right" job or the "best" job but honestly right now I'm just glad this poo poo is over. I don't even care if four or five of you suddenly convince me they're actually gonna drug me and steal my kidneys when I show up for my first day, I just want to keep moving forward.

Both kidneys? That's unsustainable, so it'd only happen in SV.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you can get by on not a whole lot, but quality of life goes WAY up and stress goes way down with a couple of simple things. They vary from person to person but I can say that having a tile floor in the bathroom, the bath mats makea huge difference. I never had a mirror until I had a live-in girlfriend but it saves a lot of time going between the bedroom and bathroom in the morning.

I've kept my kitchen stuff down to a place setting of 4, that way dishes can't go undone for more than 4 days. I've been in some people's apartments who own 12-15 plates, and there's a tower of dirty dishes in each sink it's insane.

I'm currently packing and I'm trying to get my life down to 24 boxes after living in 1400 sq ft of suburban space to go live in 700sq feet or apartment living in a major downtown area. It's interesting making snap decisions if you REALLY need that arc welder or spare set of bicycle handlebars you bought four years ago.

My stuff won't arrive until mid-december, so until then I'll be sleeping on a cot with my laptop and eating out every night and living out of a suitcase for 2 weeks. I imagine I'll like my new apartment a lot better when it doesn't echo and I have warm fuzzy bath mats again.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pr0zac posted:

I'm still confused what in what I posted you're disagreeing with or if you even are?
I seriously doubt you're actually doing this evaluation on every candidate:

pr0zac posted:

At best you're making up stories when they aren't there, at worst you've figured out Yet Another Filter that just happens to select privileged white kids who have that odd tendency to start running right out of the "gate". The context of selecting a first job to appeal to this filter just seems to collapse into "be rich enough that living with your parents isn't a necessity."

Hadlock posted:

I'm currently packing and I'm trying to get my life down to 24 boxes after living in 1400 sq ft of suburban space to go live in 700sq feet or apartment living in a major downtown area. It's interesting making snap decisions if you REALLY need that arc welder or spare set of bicycle handlebars you bought four years ago.
Books are the hardest. I didn't get rid of a single sheet of paper until we had to move from 1200sqft into 500, now I angrily go to the bookshelf to quote from something that I haven't owned in years.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Pollyanna posted:

Finally got an offer.

Congratulations! I'm F5'ing my email right now but IDK when this company will get back to me. Hopefully today or tomorrow, but the recruiter I was in touch with seemed to be sick on the interview day yesterday, so maybe the process will stall a bit.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pollyanna posted:

Don't want to seem like I'm pissing on your parade but don't let your guard down just yet. Don't believe anything is firm until the first check hits your bank account. You're 95% there though, congrats

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

Books are the hardest. I didn't get rid of a single sheet of paper until we had to move from 1200sqft into 500, now I angrily go to the bookshelf to quote from something that I haven't owned in years.

Yeah that was a big reason to convert to E-reader. I used to cart around 1000lbs of books spread over 5 or 6 boxes, after my buddy moved to China, then Seattle, then finally Texas, he jettisoned all his books and got the important ones as e-copies. Now his entire book collection lives on an 8GB USB thumb drive (As backup) and his Kindle. I've adopted sort of the same mentality.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
God, tell me about it. I shipped boxes and boxes of books to my current location... and then realized I don't need all these trashy werewolf/fantasy/sci-fi novels and just threw them out.

Also, many useless CS/math/Sweng books that I've outgrown. I'm basically now like, Kindle all the way.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Yeah that was a big reason to convert to E-reader. I used to cart around 1000lbs of books spread over 5 or 6 boxes, after my buddy moved to China, then Seattle, then finally Texas, he jettisoned all his books and got the important ones as e-copies. Now his entire book collection lives on an 8GB USB thumb drive (As backup) and his Kindle. I've adopted sort of the same mentality.

As part of my last move, I had open season on my books... one of my friends hauled away something like 4 big boxes, and the rest I just hauled off to Goodwill, except for one box of books I have sentimental attachment to. I had 15 boxes of books, and since I switched to a Kindle I haven't touched a physical book.

However, I still have something like 10-15 boxes of my old childhood toys. I haven't opened them for years, they've followed me around for something like 10 years at this point, but I can't bear to get rid of them. I keep wondering how much money I could get off of a collector for the whole pile. They're just sitting in the spare bedroom, taking up space.

While we're on ~household chat~, I just got a Roomba and it's loving awesome. I don't have time to vacuum (especially when I'm traveling a lot), so having a magical robot I lock in a room and press the "make the carpet be clean here" button is the best. My house is also fairly large (~2200 sq. ft.) and mostly carpeted, so to hell with vacuuming.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All of my childhood toys (TMNT, GI Joe, micro machines, etc) except the SNES disappeared when my mother moved to her new house, along with probably a decade's worth of Nintendo Power magazines :smithicide:

The comic books always come with me, however. My uncle learned that lesson the hard way when he was growing up.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

All of my childhood toys (TMNT, GI Joe, micro machines, etc) except the SNES disappeared when my mother moved to her new house, along with probably a decade's worth of Nintendo Power magazines :smithicide:

The comic books always come with me, however. My uncle learned that lesson the hard way when he was growing up.

I found my Nintendo Power magazines, including my copy of the very first one with Mario 2 on the cover! Then I threw them all out, except that one. Because honestly, I don't think I need to go back and relive old Howard and NESter comics.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I've had major book collection purges twice, but this last move I still had something like 50 boxes. Now we own a home, so the problem's going to be to make additional space for shelves and cases (I'm seriously considering having the attic finished just so I can put in shelves up there).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

I seriously doubt you're actually doing this evaluation on every candidate:

At best you're making up stories when they aren't there, at worst you've figured out Yet Another Filter that just happens to select privileged white kids who have that odd tendency to start running right out of the "gate". The context of selecting a first job to appeal to this filter just seems to collapse into "be rich enough that living with your parents isn't a necessity."

I don't do that evaluation at all? I don't think I've ever done resume filtering. A lot of recruiters do though. You're for some reason getting really angry about me saying "how your first (and subsequent) job looks on your resume is worth considering along other things" which isn't even a particularly original suggestion. Its why people with buzzwords and hot companies get a lot of recruiter interest.

I'm also really confused why you keep saying I think living with your parents is bad when my first sentence specifically said that was a good idea. An ex-coworker of mine did it for a year and then quit and spent the last 6 months living in a van, rock climbing all the time. Was pretty cool.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Pollyanna posted:

Grats! Best of luck in the new job.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Accepted the offer at the Testing/Integration Position in Dallas - start that in a week and a half, but I've also got my first interview for an Associate Application Developer position with AT&T (also in Dallas) next week. The position I accepted is 'at will', so best case scenario I hold that down for a month and then hop over to a more lucrative, development-oriented thing with AT&T. Worst case scenario I at least have what I have and I'm able to shop around on the DL. Things seem to be stabilizing a bit.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What's a normal timeframe for a bay area company to get back to you after an interview? It's been exactly two days since I walked out of their office after (I think) giving a good interview, so I'm thinking I probably didn't get that job... ?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not necessarily, it can take some time to interview everyone and come to a decision so I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I generally ping them after day 4 and 7. People doing the hiring, typically are really busy with other stuff.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

redreader posted:

What's a normal timeframe for a bay area company to get back to you after an interview? It's been exactly two days since I walked out of their office after (I think) giving a good interview, so I'm thinking I probably didn't get that job... ?

Don't expect any response until some time next week, most places are basically shut down this week because of Thanksgiving.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

redreader posted:

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. You know, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

redreader posted:

2 days would be nothing even if Thanksgiving weren't this week. Send a follow-up email middle of next week (i.e. give them time to think about you after the holiday is over) expressing your thanks again for the interview/opportunity and how you're still interested and what's the next step in the process?

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 26, 2015